10.4 Tiger Feature Request

Comments

• Reply 221 of 243
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You missed the point.

It saves the current state of the memory (including VM) to disk, then on reboot, reads it back in. Essentially it freeze-dries what you're doing - all apps, files, etc, and lets you get back to the *exact* same point in your workflow automatically.

I will blow a load if Steve demonstrates that at WWDC next month.
  • Reply 222 of 243
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

It saves the current state of the memory (including VM) to disk, then on reboot, reads it back in. Essentially it freeze-dries what you're doing - all apps, files, etc, and lets you get back to the *exact* same point in your workflow automatically.

I realize it would be more complicated, but I wonder if you could do something like this in conjunction with the rumored Home-On-iPod feature. It would be really cool if you could save your state when you logged out, move your iPod to a different computer and then start up where you left off.
  • Reply 223 of 243
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Damn that's a neat idea. But doubtful it will be realistic in the next few years, because wouldn't you have to be going to and from the exact same system, since this is the OS loaded in to RAM you're talking about. Also doesn't seem useful enough to warrant; the whole purpose for Save and Shutdown or Hibernate as Windows calls it is for laptops to save battery. If you have a laptop you're going to be taking it with you, right?
  • Reply 224 of 243
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

You missed the point.

so what VPC does when you hit apple-q and you 'save state'. its a cool feature...
  • Reply 225 of 243
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Damn that's a neat idea. But doubtful it will be realistic in the next few years, because wouldn't you have to be going to and from the exact same system, since this is the OS loaded in to RAM you're talking about. Also doesn't seem useful enough to warrant; the whole purpose for Save and Shutdown or Hibernate as Windows calls it is for laptops to save battery. If you have a laptop you're going to be taking it with you, right?

I was thinking about this the other day. Because Macs are so fast at starting up and also because it's a lot better for the computet to shut down and restart (it performs all the necessary checks on the system)surely it makes more sense to leave hibernation on the platform that crashes m$. Sometimes it's useful if you want to close your laptop and resum later on but doesn't sleep let you do this?

I want to see tabbed browsing in the finder, if they're going to use that clunky metal interface they should allow tabs!! Because the side bar isn't as flexible - you'd have to put every folder in it to use it for tabs!
  • Reply 226 of 243
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I want to see tabbed browsing in the finder, if they're going to use that clunky metal interface they should allow tabs!! ...

kinda fuzzed logic, no

Anyway, do you see tabs in the finder as in safari, each tab represents a different (directory) state (not view!) of the finder window? That would funk me instantly, assured.
  • Reply 227 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

kinda fuzzed logic, no

Anyway, do you see tabs in the finder as in safari, each tab represents a different (directory) state (not view!) of the finder window? That would funk me instantly, assured.

If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well. I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.
  • Reply 228 of 243
    apeirosapeiros Posts: 16member
    This is my little compiled whish-list. Most of it has been heard of already or mentioned here too but it's my almost complete list of features and add-ons that I wished my favorite OS would provide them

1. OS:

1.1\tAll new database founded filesystem with metadata

1.2 Resolution independent UI (displayPDF is already built in - take the last step)

1.3 Out of the box linux support with X11, Gnome & KDE with all the necessary libs to easily compile most applications

1.4 Remote APIs for remote GUI login

1.5 Finally a usable user management (old school rwxrwxrwx scheme doesn't do the deal) with something like ACL, using 1.1 might help

1.6 Virtual Desktops (Exposé, Hide and Dock are all fine but all serve another purpose or in another way)

1.7 Exposé Application Blacklist (e.g. Games that run full screen sometimes cause troubles with activated screen edges) for which exposé is automatically disabled

1.8 Optional Dock (I don't use it for applications e.g., only for "docking" documents)

1.9 More customisable dock (as e.g. for my usage: drop applications from it)

1.10 ScreenMovie (rather then screen-photo - what have we got broadband for? ;-)

1.11 Something like KQueue (menthioned somewhere in this thread) in the carbon, cocoa & java APIs to avoid polling by still supplying i

2. Finder:

2.1 Threading! E.g. if a network volume suddenly disappears finder is blocked for 30s - completly. That sucks big time.

2.2 Trash in lefthand bar

2.3 More speed (using 1.1 should help with that) on large folders

2.4 More speed on temporarly inactive Volumes (if you do not use a volume over a longer time the HD stops spinning), e.g. through caching the directory content

3. Safari:

3.1 Improved URL completion (it's crappy - take a look at OmniWeb if you want to see a good one)

3.2 Generally take a look at omniweb. There is tons of stuff that is IMHO handled better there.

4. Mail.app:

4.1 Like iTunes' smart playlists: smart mailboxes (order once by rule is fine, display always by rule is better)

5. iChat.app:

5.1 [I'm sure that will never come, anyway] Multi protocol support (ICQ natively, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Miranda)

5.2 Single View for contacts with multiple accounts

5.3 Contact grouping (with possibility to add a person to multiple groups)

6. iPhoto & iTunes:

6.1 Let them use Filesystem Metadata instead of their own databasesMost of it has been heard of already or mentioned here too but it's my almost complete list of features and add-ons that I wished my favorite OS would provide them

(Edit: Somehow I copied the list twice in here)
  • Reply 229 of 243
    Quote:

If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well.

Have you told apple yet? 8)

Quote:

I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.

Hopefully apple keeps the difference
  • Reply 230 of 243
    Quote:

If you've got lots of windows open you could tidy them all up into tabs. So even though the sidebar doesn't have the window you want you can have quick access to it, quicker than expose and more effective, you could drag files to folders using them and quickly copy and past documents, it would tidy up the finder and be intuitive and I think it woul work really well. I don;t want Apple to do a windows though, I like safari and finder being separate apps.

damn, just lust, imagine 5 or 6 finder windows open, you go and exposé them, hold shift, move back and voilá all 6 finder windows merge into one tabbed window. gorgeous. com'on apple let my fantasy roll

And yes this is a true feature request
  • Reply 231 of 243
    maybe I should explain more in-detail why my point 1.1 (All new database founded filesystem with metadata) is so important.

Take a look at how your computer is organized today:

-You have mail.app organizing your emails

-You got iTunes to organzize your music

-iPhoto organzies your pictures

-The finder organizes your movies by name (with some work by date/size/...)

-The finder organzies your all other kinds of documents

Think about how this could become improved by an FS that is able to handle metadata and refined applications.

First the OS needed to provide a clean API to the metadata. I just assume that.

Second your applications needed to fully support this. I'll just assume that too.

How could your digital life look like then?

Why do all the work yourself and put movies into the movies folder? That's what the computer is supposed to do. Just set up a "Smart Folder" that contains all movie-type documents. With a DB it only takes some milliseconds to collect all that files and display them.

Same applies for pictures, songs and other kinds of documents.

This way every application was easily able to

a) do some kind of playlists (they [might] appear everywhere, songs in iTunes, emails in mail.app, movies in DVD/Quicktime Player, pictures in iPhoto, Documents in Office, Bookmarks in Safari, ...)

b) do the same kind as playlists do but smart (like iTunes smart-playlists, I'll cover this point more in depth later)

c) automatically recognize all files on your HD that it is able to edit/display/play

d) It was much easier to migrate from one application to another as you don't have to "export/import" some database - it all can be handled via the FS which is readable to all applications the same way

Think a bit more about b). Think about how you organize your work. The way you organize documents today was very suitable and possibly the best solution yesterday when you had some dozens of documents. But how is it today? Or even tomorrow? I for one got hundreds of files I'm working with, constantly increasing. Putting them into folders and subfolders is quite a bit of work on one hand and unsatisfying on the other hand. For example I got lots of files that would belong into multiple folders. Create aliases? Sorry, but that was a shitload of work I don't want to do.

Now lets take a look how the new FS could let you work quite differently:

You are working on something? Assign the documents a metadata "project". E.g. "invention #127", "lyric for song xyz", "presentation for meeting in july". Then you set up a "smart folder" that simply contains smart subfolders named after all available projects. Those itself contain each the files that belong to that project. If you think this through you end up in a whole different approach on how to organize your documents.

And thats just the beginning...
  • Reply 232 of 243
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

damn, just lust, imagine 5 or 6 finder windows open, you go and exposé them, hold shift, move back and voilá all 6 finder windows merge into one tabbed window. gorgeous. com'on apple let my fantasy roll

And yes this is a true feature request

maybe! but you could also just press command-t like in safari! I'll ask Apple now!!
  • Reply 233 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by apeiros

maybe I should explain more in-detail why my point 1.1 (All new database founded filesystem with metadata) is so important.

<snip>

And thats just the beginning...

Yup, that's pretty much the consensus discussion we've had on here about, oh, twenty times or so.

Glad to see we have another convert on board.
  • Reply 234 of 243
    I would like to see the old OS 9 system where you can double click on a title bar and it jsut collapses. I think it might be useful if you want to have lots of open windows. what do you think?
  • Reply 235 of 243
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think that while a lot of folks still clamor for this, I never did see the real utility of it... you still had to deal with occluded title bars instead of windows, and you still had to manually organize them for best placement. It helped the occlusion layering problem, but didn't get rid of it.

Expose sidesteps the whole problem nicely in my opinion, but it doesn't seem to fit everyone's workflow, and it does lack the 'quick peek behind this window' feature of WindowShade.
  • Reply 236 of 243
    Quote:

Yup, that's pretty much the consensus discussion we've had on here about, oh, twenty times or so.

Glad to see we have another convert on board.

Then I'm sorry. While I read AI boards regularly I don't read everything.

Might you point me to one of the more interesting threads discussing this? I'm quite interested in this point.
  • Reply 237 of 243
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by apeiros

Might you point me to one of the more interesting threads discussing this? I'm quite interested in this point.

The key word is "metadata."

You'll probably want to sink yer teeth into Siracusa's article here as well.
  • Reply 238 of 243
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I have a hope / request to add, which I don't think has been covered (unless I missed it).

For people who print a lot -- from designers to home users to anyone in your typical office-- the print dialogs could much improved. There's still a lot of confusion and unnecessary and extremely repetitive menu-pulling to set print settings (which themselves are often confusingly titled and easily missed).

I've seen first-hand how many people don't even grasp that the menu in the print dialog is there to be selected. I don't know exactly why, but they just miss it, and even they find it, they're turned off by the different but rather similar-sounding options. This needs to be much (a) simplified, and (b) more visible.

I'd love to see a change to the print sheet, and have this:

changed to something like this:

• Reply 239 of 243
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Man, you make a very good point. It's so simple, but I never noticed it. It would be a great progress (and not hard for them to implement) ...
  • Reply 240 of 243
    What about to recover your files you have trashed accidently (or should i say trashed randomly)

I'd like to see a small sys. integrated app, which simply recovers files you have trashed. Sometimes that would be a lifesaver. it is a no brainer, really.