The good old-fashioned fist fight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Should I open an anger management clinic when I finish my never-ending dissertation? Sounds like I'd have a lot of customers

(Of course, I'd give an AI discount.)
  • Reply 22 of 50
    faydrauthafaydrautha Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I never get in a fight. But, if I was forced into a fight I would of course defend myself. The moves that I would do is the spear, jackhammer, stone cold stunner, and the walls of jericho.

Edit: I would also do rock bottom, peoples elbow, the last ride, tombstone pile driver, the F-U, the F-5, ankle lock, figure four, cross face, sharp shooter, pedigree, and mr. socko.

It's a very good thing you don;t get into many fights then...
  • Reply 23 of 50
    faydrauthafaydrautha Posts: 127member
    My Dad gave me advice about fighting. "The prettier the guy thinks he is, the quicker you break his nose." Works like a charm too. He also said "Never start a fight, but you damn well better finish it."
  • Reply 24 of 50
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

...If you want to play it safe, keep a tire-iron behind the desk.

Must be fun working with you...

"Hey, what's that, you have in here?"

"oh, nothing it's just a TIRE-IRON, you know for fights and such..."

• Reply 25 of 50
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

I've always been a pussy and tried to stop a fight whenever I could.

Typical.

Here in Texas, we'll fight you for breathing wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebulous

Can't we all just get along?

Peace and love, people!

I've never been an advocate of violence. If you're put into a situation where you have to fight, there are acceptable ways to get out of it, but anything started "Just for kicks" is not cool. A quick double-handed clap to the ears will disorient your opponent, and give you time to get away, or them time to reconsider. If that doesn't work, then there are numerous painful actions that can be inflicted upon the neck.

Wow - that was a weird post. This is not very like me, but we DID just learn a bunch of these moves in karate four days ago... Must make up for the weirdness! *breaks out the flowers and peace pins*

Kumbaya!

I remember having this argument with a friend back in high school after she told me her brother was being taught to fight by an older male friend. I took the high moral ground. There's never any excuse for violence blah, blah, blah. She pointed out that boys will be boys and that sometimes they may find themselves in a fight whether they like it or not.

Some years later, after spending a bit of times in pubs, I realized she was right. You know the scenario, some guy who can't handle his booze picks a fight (often with a perfect stranger) over some imagined insult.

The guy I was talking about is in his mid-fifties. He came from a military family, went to a private boys school. Which meant back in those days, being trained in the art of being a gentleman - part of which was learning how to fight (hence all the stuff about what is and isn't a fair fight).

But (and I've seen this in other people confident in their ability to hold their own), he can project a vibe that is just the right mix of confidence, menace and self-control so that would-be opponents tend to back down long before it comes to blows.

I carry a knife he bought me if I'm going to be on my own in a potentially dangerous situation. Never had to use it (hope I never do) but there was one time I was hitchhiking and got picked up be a real wrong 'un when I was very glad to have it.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I don't have any trouble out of people.

I just give them a look and they understand what is in their best interests.

Fellows
  • Reply 28 of 50
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

I don't have any trouble out of people.

I just give them a look and they understand what is in their best interests.

Fellows

• Reply 29 of 50
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    A wee bit of the ultra violence?

• Reply 30 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, I'm curious, just what are the scenarios that oblige ya'll to "do what a man's gotta do"?

Cause, I gotta say, pretty much every single fight I've seen or participated in has involved booze.

I also can't help but be aware of the several instances here in the bay area where a simple argument (usually outside of a bar) escalated to blows and one guy goes down, hits his head on the curb, dies, and the other guy gets to go to prison for a long time. I mean, not that's not really cool and all, but, what an incredibly stupid f*cking waste.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    I have not been in a fight since Junior High, but I made quite an impression on the entire school. Thats one of the reasons that nobody has messed with me since, oh and I'm 6'2" and about 280lbs and I look pretty mean (but I'm really pretty nice).

There were 2 incidents in Junior high, both within 2 weeks of each other.

Incident 1: some little guy and I start having words. I don't want to fight him so I walk away. He runs in front of me and kicks me in the nuts. He thinks that this will put me down, wrong, I ignore the pain and he starts running. I catch up with him, punch him in the stomach, pick him up and throw him against a wall. Then I collapse in pain while holding my poor abused balls. I swear I walked bow-legged for a few days. Anyway, the guy is knocked out cold and the entire lunchroom is dead quite.

Incident 2: this guy (different guy from incident 1) has been bugging me for the past 4 months. I ignore him since I don't want any trouble. I know that I am big and strong and I know that I can easially hurt somebody so I go out of my to avoid fights. Well, this guy keeps bugging me. He takes my backpack and throws it in a very dirty trash dumpster.

I loose it. I slowly move towards him. As soon as he is within range I punch him in the stomach, grap the hair on the back of his head and start to pound his head into a brick wall. After 5-6 hits upon the old brick wall the principle pulls us apart and tells the guy that he had it coming to him and that he should have been smart enough to not mess with me.

All this was close to 20 years ago and I still occasionally get some guy that will walk up to me and tell me he remember the fight.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    709 -- those pictures are classic!
  • Reply 33 of 50
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    One of the things I like best about New York City is that people generally don't seem to try and get into stupid fights in bars or in the street here. I guess everyone is wary of picking on the wrong person and getting shot.

That said, I very nearly got into a fight a couple of weeks back. I went in to a local bar that a friend of mine DJs in just before closing, and the owner was there. I've met him a couple of times through mutual friends, and he always seemed to be an okay guy. He was blind drunk on this occasion however and I guess he didn't recognize me. Anyway, the two of us started bullshitting at the bar and I made a joking comment that he apparently took offense to. He grabbed me by the throat, pushed me against a wall and shouted something along the lines of 'Come on mother****er, let's go.'

I was totally taken aback. For one thing, this guy is a head shorter and about 40lbs lighter than I am and was so shitfaced that he could barely stand. For another, the comment had been in line with our previous five or ten minutes of conversation and certainly hadn't warranted this kind of reaction. He had appeared to be in a really good mood up to this point. The result was that I wasn't 100% certain he was serious, so I found myself in the position of asking a man who was screaming in my face with his hand at my neck if he was actually, really, seriously picking a fight with me. I kind of like the bar and didn't want to hit the owner until I was sure that I had to. I was just on the verge of deciding that it was a real fight and when he let go and said that he was 'only messing.' We bought each other drinks and he passed out about ten minutes later.

I was quite pleased with myself for not getting in a pointless, stupid bar fight over nothing. Me of a couple of years ago would have probably gotten stuck right in, no questions asked. The fact that I had had a lot less to drink than the other guy was definitely a factor, so I guess booze usually is to blame.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    finagainfinagain Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

A wee bit of the ultra violence?

That made the malenky hairs on my plott stand up.

The best way to avoid fighting in a closed social group (school) is to make it known that you plan to fight to injure or maim if confronted. That's how my friends and I got through jr. high -- the first challenger to any of us ended up with a broken wrist, and he turned out to be one of our closest buds in later years.

Ah, the good old days.

I never did master the art of the bar fight, but as a rule I used to try to get the drunk on the floor as soon as possible, where they're less likely to get up. And where it's easier to break ribs if they deserve it. Not a universal strategy, obviously, but effective at times.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Last two fights I was in, I was a bit drunk... One fight I threw a punch at some guy... didn't hit him right because the next day I found out I broke my hand. Last fight, I did some kind of flying kick hit the guy but ended up in a bicycle stand because my coordination was fvcked/intoxicated...

Moral is dont drink and fight

• Reply 36 of 50
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Typical.

You fit the stereotype I have from Texans.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You should see my hat!

(And in case you didn't get it, I was actually complimenting your peaceful little country. Except that whole Nazi thing, but that was years ago! Let's be friends! )

-

I think of Fellowship about to get in a thrown down and I laugh so hard pee comes out.

Why would someone want to fight the FShip? He's so cute!
  • Reply 38 of 50
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

You should see my hat!

(And in case you didn't get it, I was actually complimenting your peaceful little country. Except that whole Nazi thing, but that was years ago! Let's be friends! )

What do you mean I should see it? Don't you ****ing wear it?

Yeah, you got me there for a sec. I didn't even realize that it was so typical for me to be neutral. Let's be friends!

And you're right about Fellows, I mean, he's so cute, you'd rather kiss him than beat him
  • Reply 39 of 50
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Typical.

Yeah, but in Switzerland everyone is required to keep semi-automatic rifles in their homes in case they need to protect the homeland. Neutrality rocks. If that's just a rumor, don't tell me. When I heard that, my appreciation for the Swiss just went through the roof.

So, if it were Switzerland vs Texas, I'd have to go with Switzerland. Especially if they were defending their own land. Imagine that. . . a bunch of chocolate-eating sharpshooters in the mountains everywhere. Don't blink, because it might be the end.

My fantasy world is richly illustrated.

You guys also have pretty low taxes. . . plus there's that degressive tax. So what I need to do is find a swiss girl.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    cybermonkeycybermonkey Posts: 604member
    Hows about the next time you see this guy, You Rifle butt him in the bollocks followed swiftly by urinating over him. And then for good measure strip him butt naked and have your girlfriend/wife pose for a picture. While shouting i was in the gulf you know!!!

The authorities are bound to overlook it