G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 221 of 492
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Not only does that PDF support a "975" processor number, it also supports a release *before* widespread use of it's parent Power5, as opposed to the 970 which was released long after the Power4
  • Reply 222 of 492
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

GP = POWER4, GP-UL = 970 . Keeping with IBM's naming scheme the "GP-UL+" would be the 970FX. GR = POWER5, so the processor we know as 975 would probably be called GR-UL. Actually.. There are evidence of a GR-UL also labled "PPC 97x" comming from an legitimate IBM source. Running at 2.5+ GHz no less..

Have a look at this PDF. A link that I've posted here several times before.

I had not seen it before. A very interestin document -- almost makes me optimistic.
  • Reply 223 of 492
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I had not seen it before. A very interestin document -- almost makes me optimistic.

You should be optimistic! Just wait and see what will be at WWDC.
  • Reply 224 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

You should be optimistic! Just wait and see what will be at WWDC.

Ok, you have peaqued my curiosity. What is it exactly that you know, or is this all optimism? I think that Apple will hit the 3 GHz barrier at WWDC, however I am going strictly off gut instinct. I am just curious about all of this.
  • Reply 225 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Ok, you have peaqued my curiosity. What is it exactly that you know, or is this all optimism? I think that Apple will hit the 3 GHz barrier at WWDC, however I am going strictly off gut instinct. I am just curious about all of this.

It is good to think that Apple will hit the 3 Ghz barrier. There are many things that point to such an occurence:

1. Apple said they will release it. Due to government regulations, you cannot announce products unless you really menan to release them. Apple has not said they won't be there...

2. Late new arrivals...

3. No news is good news. Rumors out of Apple are tight...

Oh and one more thing...
  • Reply 226 of 492
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Did you mean "WOPR" from wargames? If not, what the h3ll is "W.O.M.P.E.R."?

Not from Wargames, from Wind (Matthew Modine). The womper was a sail that was so big once it caught the wind it made this huge sound like WOMP. = The W.O.M.P.E.R.

It practically lifted the ship right out of the water, and kicked @ss. They obviously won the race. It wasn't that great of a movie, but I like the way she (Jennifer Grey) described the womper. It's memorable.
  • Reply 227 of 492
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What about this one then (search for 750VX)? Not exactly the same situation, but since when IBM hosts portals to rumor sites about unreleased products of theirs?

Heh, touche. The IT Home document was actually hosted on the IBM site though, not just a link to an external, uh, "news" site.
  • Reply 228 of 492
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Heh, touche. The IT Home document was actually hosted on the IBM site though, not just a link to an external, uh, "news" site.

Can anyone log in and post there though? Sorry I didn't check.
  • Reply 229 of 492
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

1. Apple said they will release it. Due to government regulations, you cannot announce products unless you really menan to release them. Apple has not said they won't be there...

2. Late new arrivals...

3. No news is good news. Rumors out of Apple are tight...

I don't know about goverment regulations in the US and how they would affect announcements of this sort, but the "no news, good news" is quite debatable. I was recently twice in the "no news" situation and it turned out to be "very bad news".
  • Reply 230 of 492
    frescofresco Posts: 26member
    I don't know if the 3GHZ machines are going to be announce in June. Something is up for sure. They have crashed the prices of all 3 models here just as they do when there is a total revamp coming up.

Let's hope that the 3GHZ machine does show up soon...
  • Reply 231 of 492
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

I think that Apple will hit the 3 GHz barrier at WWDC, however I am going strictly off gut instinct.

Apparently so was Steve.
  • Reply 232 of 492
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Apparently so was Steve.

He might as well be on crack or under the influence of his own RDF.
  • Reply 233 of 492
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Not from Wargames, from Wind (Matthew Modine). The womper was a sail that was so big once it caught the wind it made this huge sound like WOMP. = The W.O.M.P.E.R.

It practically lifted the ship right out of the water, and kicked @ss. They obviously won the race. It wasn't that great of a movie, but I like the way she (Jennifer Grey) described the womper. It's memorable.

Why was it spelled like an acronym?
  • Reply 234 of 492
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Why was it spelled like an acronym?

4 c00lness' sAkE.
  • Reply 235 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Apparently so was Steve.

We don't have hard evidence either way on that. Personally I find it extremely unlikely that they haven't had a plan in place for a couple of years, and while he may have been setting a public goal that was a bit of a stretch it wasn't an out-of-the-park guess or gut feeling. He's been in the situation of over-promising and under-delivering before, I'm quite sure that he doesn't want to be there again.

I also don't think the plan was for a 970FX running at 3 GHz.
  • Reply 236 of 492
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

We don't have hard evidence either way on that. Personally I find it extremely unlikely that they haven't had a plan in place for a couple of years, and while he may have been setting a public goal that was a bit of a stretch it wasn't an out-of-the-park guess or gut feeling. He's been in the situation of over-promising and under-delivering before, I'm quite sure that he doesn't want to be there again.

I also don't think the plan was for a 970FX running at 3 GHz.

Programmer, I agree completely. I just couldn't resist the pun.

I for one have always believed that Steve would NEVER had made that promise unless his plan A, B and C ALL resulted in 3GHz. Even if "Plan A' was for the 970fx to be at 3Ghz by June, then the fact that it isn't doesn't matter. I truly believe there were backup plans in place and we'll get our 3GHz one way or another.
  • Reply 237 of 492
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That would be pretty damn cool if Apple took one of those MCM units, and made a PowerMac Highend Workstation. Imagine a 4X 3.2GHz G5 W.O.M.P.E.R! Man I would shoot H.W.C <-(Liz Phair song) all the way to cupertino.

Huh, you say stuff like this, but give me tons of attitude & sarcasm when I wish for an Apple blade server...

So, you want to have your cake, AND eat it...?!?

Back to the subject...

If one were to look back at the old moki posts, one would see him commenting how he thought that the Gp-UL (aka G5) was only a stopgap measure, and that Apple/IBM had the next great thing working, and how that would be the REAL high performance G5...

Programmer has also said things along this line...

And when the G5 was first introduced, both Steve and the IBM guy (VP of something?) stated that they (Apple/IBM) were both hard at work on the next level of Apple CPUs...

This, I believe, is the IBM PPC975...

;^p
  • Reply 238 of 492
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    MacRonin I agree. I remember Moki saying that and these pdfs floatin' around seem to suggest that.

I think Apple they could get two revisions of the 970 out before the 975 but when IBM ran into fab problems that plan was scuttled.

It's been a long wait but man dual 3Ghz Powermacs will rock my world. I'm already amazed at how decent apps like FCP and Motion run on a Dual 2ghz.

The Opteron is at 2.4 this summer so I know the 970 should be there as well. Above that it makes sense to have something new.

Plus the rumor was that the POWER5 derivative was designed in simulataneous development. That would lead us to late summer/fall shipment.

Man I can't wait for WWDC. There's is going to be some COOL shite. I can feel it.
  • Reply 239 of 492
    It will not be the 970fx, just wait and see. To much anxiety over what a company releases is not good.
  • Reply 240 of 492
    Quote:

It will not be the 970fx, just wait and see. To much anxiety over what a company releases is not good.

So are you going to spill your beans, or what?