G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 261 of 492
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 262 of 492
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Unfortunately the real reason can be summed up in just 2 letters - P and C, and the increasing ubiquity thereof. The simple fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of people simply don't give a rats a$$ about Macs.

C.

... and people don't care for Macs because?

...the value proposition has not been overwhelming in recent years.

If Apple are going to retrieve market share, they need to offer something that is overwhelming. A 30% faster single processor and then offer it in a dual configuration at a modest premium over which you could buy a PC.

Make consumers' heads turn next time that 2-3 year purchasing decision comes up. That needs at least 3.0ghz in a dual config at a reasonable price - and it needs to be out there today.

Dollars are like votes - they can be allocated at the consumer's discretion each time a purchasing decision is made. Apple can win this if the value proposition is overwhelming.
  • Reply 263 of 492
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

If this is even remotely close to where Apple is headed, then the investments made on all the High end "Processor Intensive" applications starts to really make sense.

Ahh now you are seeing the bigger picture
  • Reply 264 of 492
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Not if the promised 3GHz chip had always been a completely different processor on a completely different development cycle. This is the whole point (and beauty) of the 975 theory: the delays to the 970fx are meaningless.

Which is exactly why someone made that theory up.

The 975 doesn't exist. IBM announced the 970 long before it appeared in PowerMac G5s. There's been no announcement of a Power5-derivative, let along something called a 975. And the Power4 was available 2 years before the 970.

The shrink, along with other technologies, is what was going to get them to 3 Ghz. Then IBM had problems, and so they're not able to make it. It's as simple as that.
  • Reply 265 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Which is exactly why someone made that theory up.

The 975 doesn't exist. IBM announced the 970 long before it appeared in PowerMac G5s. There's been no announcement of a Power5-derivative, let along something called a 975. And the Power4 was available 2 years before the 970.

The shrink, along with other technologies, is what was going to get them to 3 Ghz. Then IBM had problems, and so they're not able to make it. It's as simple as that.

Apple usually makes deals with their CPU-manufacturs to not reveal the processors until Apple announces the new machines.

But in case of the 970, we REALLY needed something to look foreward too.... And this was it. It raised a lot of hopes...
  • Reply 266 of 492
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

What do you think would happen aftr 970FX? If they didn't have the fabrication troubles that they've had, they would, according to you already have reached 3 GHz.. and then what? the 65 nm fabrication will not go online for full scale production until second half of next year if we're lucky. Apple would've, in your scenario, been stuck at 3 GHz for over one year.. Great plan. Do you really think that IBM or Apple would come to a stop just after doing the 3 GHz 970FX?

Let's see. This would be IBM's line iof thinking according to you?

"By doing a light weight version of the great POWER4 we will return the crown of performance to Apple. But, after that, let's not continue the development past a die shrik. Let's not do exactly the same with our own great future, the POWER5. Let's just supply Apple with a plan worth one and half year, and then let's just grind to a dead stop."

This kind of thinking is.. really dumb, and neither IBM nor Apple is that dumb.

We have hard evidence that IBM have had a processor, derived from POWER5, called "GR-UL PPC 97x" on its roadmaps. What we really don't know is in what stage of development or deployment that processor is in. We know that IBM have had prototype POWER5 running in actual machines since this time last year. It would be really stupid for IBM not to have the GR-UL in development since Apple approiached them about the 970 four years ago.

At this point, who cares what the next generation is called. At one point we called it 980, now 975 seems to be a more plausible name. It might be called 971, 990, 9700 or PowerPC 5 or something else, that's not really the point. It IS on its way, that's very certain. Everything else would be so plainly brain dead that I have a hard time writing what's so overwhemlingly obviuos to, what seems to be, nearly all of us.
  • Reply 267 of 492
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple usually makes deals with their CPU-manufacturs to not reveal the processors until Apple announces the new machines.

But in case of the 970, we REALLY needed something to look foreward too.... And this was it. It raised a lot of hopes...

While I agree with you when it comes to how things ONCE worked. I just wanted to add this...

The IBM line of 970 (and its offshoots) are (or will soon be) used 'in a major way' by more than just Apple.

Who was the major customer of the G3 - Apple

Who was the major customer of the G4 - Apple

In both cases 'official news' about new those specific CPUs was close to nonexistent - pretty unusual in the CPU world. So yes I'm sure Apple had a hand in that... But, If rumors are true and to some extent we already know they are... The 97x will be used by Apple, Microsoft and some even say Sony... If thats the case IBM has more than just Apple to worry about and if MS and or Sony wants or doesn't mind IBM 'talking up' the next great 97x CPU in its arsenal then I'm willing to bet IBM will start to do just that.

After all - Imagine being in the position of trying to 'SELL' a new product that you can't OPENLY talk about to potential customers? Imagine how much easier it would be to sell a product to other potential customers when the press is allowed to report on it?

Apple sells END USER products and I guess one could argue that keeping people in the dark till it's SHIPPING has a benefit in the WOW FACTOR.

IBM sells CPUs that allow companies to BUILD new products these folks don't buy on impulse they buy after analyzing any/all KNOWN components that will be available at the time they are ready to go into production... IBM (or any component builder) needs to hype their products BEFORE they ship otherwise all those potential customers will have (long ago) already chosen something else not knowing your product was even in development.

As someone who loves Apple I have to admit that having them as a TOP buyer for CPUs (or any component) isn't something that any company would benefit from. It ties your hands way too much.

In short (too late) I'm sure IBM is glad that it's getting other 'BIG' buyers for their 97x line of CPUs and once Apple starts falling from the top buyer position (yea they'd have to fall a few spots) I'm sure you'll start seeing more and more information about what IBMs future plans are when it comes to the 97x line of CPUs.

IBM **wants** and **needs** to be able to sell and market (pre-market) its product (just like every other CPU supplier) and not being able to HYPE its future 97x (or 9xx if you will) cpus in the press **is** a disadvantage for them. After all AMD does it, Intel does it Mot does it and IBM does it (excluding the CPU Apple is using).

When it comes to the future I have a feeling Apple just won't have the 'juice' it once did and news regarding the 9xx CPU line will be more forthcoming no matter how much Apple/Steve hates it.

Just my .02 cents

Dave
  • Reply 268 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

What do you think would happen aftr 970FX?

The key word in that sentence is "after." After the 970fx. It's not "after" yet. Of course they'll design new chips. After.
  • Reply 269 of 492
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I was sick of adding to my run on message above so I just wanted to add this...

It's not just IBM that's having it's hands tied by Apples overly cloak-n-dagger ways... Apples ENTERPRISE sales force is equally hamstrung. Can you imagine how hard it is to SELL into the enterprise segment when even the Apple sales reps can't hold future technology briefings to its customers?!?! Or even comment at all (when a potential customer asks about the companies future plans).

Dell does it...

HP/Compaq does it...

Cisco does it...

I know of these 3 for a fact since those are major vendors used where I work... But I'm sure they ALL do it. When it comes to Apple and their cute "we can't talk about future products" company line the reps are quickly dismissed and thought less of. This too I know for a fact.

Dave
  • Reply 270 of 492
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.?
  • Reply 271 of 492
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    At least right this moment, the shipping time is 7-10 days for all PowerMac G5 models...

On the Developer Store, the 1.6 is still "same day"...
  • Reply 272 of 492
    And based on one obscure reference in a roadmap in a presentation, that means that a totally new G5 chip will be released by Apple in a month that will magically erase IBM's problems? Of course they're planning new chips in the future. But the most parsimonious theory is that Jobs' 3 Ghz prediction was based on the fx. Then IBM had problems with the G5, and so now they're obviously not going to hit 3 Ghz as quick as Jobs said. All these other "975 now" theories are just wishful thinking because people feel their egos are on the line.
  • Reply 273 of 492
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

At least right this moment, the shipping time is 7-10 days for all PowerMac G5 models...

On the Developer Store, the 1.6 is still "same day"...

Hmm... Will we see a quiet update before the end of June?
  • Reply 274 of 492
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    IBM has NEVER stated that the 970 in any incarnation would hit 3Ghz. 2.5 is as high as I've seen so I always assumed that 3Ghz would be a new chip design. It's quite easy to be pessimistic here and I have no problems with that. But I do hold out hope that this can be done. If AMD can hit 2.4 then surely IBM's superior fabs and IP should be able to wring at least 2.8Ghz from a new process. We'll see though in a month. This is what makes computing fun.
  • Reply 275 of 492
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    What sense can be made of this?

The towers are backordered 7-10 days at the Apple store right now, but the G5 xserves are still back ordered as before.

Seems either there is a 970 supply problem (or other component), or the towers will have something other than a 970 or 970fx in them...very soon?
  • Reply 276 of 492
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SeanL

The towers are backordered 7-10 days at the Apple store right now, but the G5 xserves are still back ordered as before.

I had not noticed that the G5 Xserves have still estimated shipping 5-7 weeks . This is in accordance to what Kasper said, that IBM still has trouble to provide sufficiently enough 970FX processors at or beyond 2 GHz. This is going to be an interesting waiting in June, and I hope not a disaster 20th anniversary for Apple.
  • Reply 277 of 492
    Just a thought...

What if the 975 isn't designed for higher frequency but for multi-core use? Image a dual 2,5 GHz dual-core G5. The original Power4 is multicored, isn't it?

Mastamind
  • Reply 278 of 492
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Seems either there is a 970 supply problem (or other component), or the towers will have something other than a 970 or 970fx in them...very soon?

I will agree there is a supply problem and it is one that Apple seems willing to encourage with new discounts being given. This would seem to indicate that something new is coming and they are trying to clear the sales channels.

Now, because something new is coming doesn't mean that it has to be something other then a 970 or 970fx. While the original roadmap for the 970FX may have shown it going to 2.4, there is no reason it couldn't go beyond that. How far? Who knows?

Now, Steve did say Apple would be at 3.0 in 12 months. We can only hope that he wasn't overly optimistic. The expectation seemed to be for something in the 2.4 to 2.5 range 3-4 months ago. IBM's fabrication problems nixed that. However that did not stop development on the "next phase" it only delayed or bypassed the planned winter phase.

I have no idea how much mileage IBM can get out of the 970FX. Can they get it to 3.0? Or was something else already in the works for this time frame? Whatever was or is in the works, Steve expected it to reach 3.0 ghz.

I am not buying this month, or next month. However when I do buy, I am confident it will be much faster then what we have now. 2.4 would have been fine in February, it would not be acceptable for June or July.

Something is in the works. I am guessing it is the next step beyond the 970FX, but maybe it is an enhanced (in some manner) 970FX. If it hits anywhere in the 2.8 to 3.2 ghz range, who really cares. If they hit that speed range, I'll be happy, and more interested in the "rest of the box" and what it has to go along with it.

Don't care what model number is on the chip, just so long as it, and the rest of the system runs right.
  • Reply 279 of 492
    Quote:

Another theory - they're going to have a minor bump before WWDC. They often do that when it's not a major upgrade. Then they'll get to 3 Ghz in a later bump, say this fall. In the end, they have to delay the 3 Ghz goal by only a few months. That's not too bad given IBM's problems.
  • Reply 280 of 492
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Prepare to be amazed at what you will see at WWDC. Anyone think that maybe Apple did not miss Rev B of the G5?