WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 381 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Notice they don't mention Microsoft explicitly.

Longhorn could refer to that terrible football team of university north of here.

What about "Redmond, we have a problem"?? Hum hum...
  • Reply 382 of 436
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Notice they don't mention Microsoft explicitly.

Longhorn could refer to that terrible football team of university north of here.

No but they mention Redmond. You aren't talking about University of Redmond are you?

Edit: Looks like The One to Rescue beat me to it.
  • Reply 383 of 436
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Of course, someone could have just photoshoped those phrases onto a tiger banner. It seems all the sites that have these images come from A SINGLE SOURCE.

Redmond could mean anything.
  • Reply 384 of 436
    stecsstecs Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Of course, someone could have just photoshoped those phrases onto a tiger banner. It seems all the sites that have these images come from A SINGLE SOURCE.

Redmond could be anything.

Damn fine photoshop job in that case.
  • Reply 385 of 436
    stecsstecs Posts: 43member
    Also note that some sites have been told to remove the images.

They're real.
  • Reply 386 of 436
    jabbajabba Posts: 82member
    Does anyone have access to the WSJ online edition ?

Quote:

"Is Apple Losing Its Sheen? Its iPod Is Still a Hot Player, But Core Macintosh Sales Lag Behind Overall Market"

["Behind the scenes, the company is working on other projects to jazz up the Macintosh. Among them: next generation word-processing and productivity software, according to a person familiar with the matter."] [Paid Membership Required] 6/27

Sounds like Apple Office and more to me...
  • Reply 387 of 436
    smittysmitty Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Good catch! Look at the banner behind it. It (un)clearly has more than a two-word phrase on it. That doesn't mean anything really, but it was fun to think about!

About the only thing I haven't seen is a mention of OS X.4 actually running on Intel & AMD hardware. Wouldn't that be a mind blowing announcement? Hmmm, everyone says no way, but that sure would be the end all right?

Apple certainly knows how to write software for that architecture - I have heard about OS X running on x86 chipsets. Just rumors tho'. Although mind blowing would be small when I really think about it. Talk about a change to the Apple world (that I don't think will happen today, but I think is certainly in SJ's sights).

That being said, this is one of the most tight-lipped Apple events I can remember, although Apple has never really played up the WWDC. Last year was incredible, and I hope this year is just as good.

11 hours to go!
  • Reply 388 of 436
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Hmmm...

I've been following this whole thread without a comment yet. I suppose I'll throw out some thoughts for what we might see at the big show less than 10 hours away.

SOFTWARE:

- 10.4 Tiger (of course)

- Quicktime 7 beta (or date for beta release, maybe August?)

- iChat AV for PC (my personal wild card, or maybe just an SDK for third-party chat developers)

HARDWARE:

- new monitors (20" @ $999, 23" @ $1799, 30" @ $2999)

- new iMac (dunno about the headless, but if there is, maybe we'll see a lower-end line of smaller LCD monitors to match)

- iSight update (PC support, my iSight is getting lonely with so few owners, price drop wouldn't be bad either, again this is my personal wildcard)

OTHER:

- talk about iTMS (Europe, etc.)

- maybe a mention of the iPod from HP

- further talk about Airport Express

- Apple/Sun partnership (maybe some thin client Java OS? just blindly guessing at this, both having code names of Tiger was intriguing)

- some kind of cell phone announcement (just a gut feeling)

An educated shot in the dark? I'm sure you'll all be the judge...

• Reply 389 of 436
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabba

Does anyone have access to the WSJ online edition ?

quote:

"Is Apple Losing Its Sheen? Its iPod Is Still a Hot Player, But Core Macintosh Sales Lag Behind Overall Market"

["Behind the scenes, the company is working on other projects to jazz up the Macintosh. Among them: next generation word-processing and productivity software, according to a person familiar with the matter."] [Paid Membership Required] 6/27

Sounds like Apple Office and more to me...

"Please Lord Jesus, have mercy on us and let this be true..."

(We definitely need a Praying Smiley for use in all AppleWorks discussions.)
  • Reply 390 of 436
    Quote:

No actually, 2 sources AT LEAST exist : Macminute's source, and a french site maintained by IT students (www.labo-apple.com)... not fake then, I guess!

Anyway, I doubt we'll see those ads outside the WWDC...
  • Reply 391 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

SOFTWARE:

- iChat AV for PC (my personal wild card, or maybe just an SDK for third-party chat developers)

HARDWARE:

- iSight update (PC support, my iSight is getting lonely with so few owners, price drop wouldn't be bad either, again this is my personal wildcard)

Ooooh. A version of iChat AV and iSight for Windows -- and while we're at it, for Linux -- would be fantastic. For all I care, they could even make Windows users pay more for their version. (Just like many Mac products have been more expensive than Wintel equivalents.) As long as Apple provides the choice.

4.25 hours to go...

Escher
  • Reply 392 of 436
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    The banners are great.

The speculation on this thread has been great.

Thank you all.

Now, it is time, ladies and gentlemen,

to cross your fingers for all your dreams

to come true at WWDC.

...er....

And then, MW Boston.

And then, Paris.

And then, a press-event.

And then, MWSF.

.............And so it goes.

Indeed, Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. Still crossing my fingers for a new iMac and something from "left field." I refuse to get too excited about Tiger, as it is eight months away, probably, from stable release.
  • Reply 393 of 436
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Will there be anyone inside relaying information to the chat room?
  • Reply 394 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

Now, it is time, ladies and gentlemen,

to cross your fingers for all your dreams

to come true at WWDC.

...er....

And then, MW Boston.

And then, Paris.

And then, a press-event.

And then, MWSF.

.............And so it goes.

Mandricard, you always hit the nail on the head. It's good to know that the world, including the Apple world, will keep on spinning. The sun will go down tonight, and will rise again tomorrow...

Except that I doubt we'll see anything worthwhile from Apple at MacWorld Boston. Instead, they'll probably introduce new hardware via press release the week before or the week after.

Less than 3 hours to go.... I'll be watching MacMinute and MacCentral for live updates. In addition, AppleNova will be holding a pre- and post-Stevenote chat on their dedicated AppleNova iChat channel. (I can't even remember when I used iChat last. Two years ago?)

Escher
  • Reply 395 of 436
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I wonder if a tiger can take down a longhorn...
  • Reply 396 of 436
    That's an emphatic yesss!

2 hours or 120 minutes to the Stevenote...

The Mac Observer will supposedly feature live WWDC updates.

Escher
  • Reply 397 of 436
    macmattmacmatt Posts: 91member
    We'll soon find out...
  • Reply 398 of 436
    By the way, Red Hat and Novell apparently just announced that they will bundle RealPlayer with their Linux distributions. I wonder whether this will put pressure on Apple to ship a Linux version of QuickTime, and maybe even iTunes, or whether Apple will simply cede that market to its rival(s).

Escher
  • Reply 399 of 436
    So we will get H.264 support in QuickTime and iChat AV in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. But not until the "first half of 2005!" That literally means we could have to wait until a full year from now.

The new displays are very nice. Wintel users will appreciate the stadard DVI connectors on the 20" and 23" models. The USB 2.0 and FireWire hub rules. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new 23" ACD around the time Tiger hits the stores. In the meantime, I ordered my 12-inch PowerBook, as planned. Hopefully it'll get here some time next week.

Escher
  • Reply 400 of 436
    jabbajabba Posts: 82member
    Sorry to ask again but if anyone has access to the full WSJ article (see my post above), this would be great.

The article is linked to from macsurfer.com

It looks like the new iMacs will come at Apple Expo Paris end of August or before....good WWDC keynote for developers, but '1st half of 2005' sounds a bit open.

I don't know if next years' WWDC will be so attractive ?. Tiger will just be out by then....