WWDC and the future of APPLE

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Sorry, i missed that.

But of course you are right in saying that "first half of 2005" doesn't necessarily mean June 30, 2005. It's just as likely to mean January, February, March, April, or May, 2005. We'll just have to wait and see how quickly development progresses.

There will undoubtedly be leaks of OS X 10.4 Tiger developmental builds. And I'm sure AppleInsider, Think Secret, and RailheadDesign will keep us up to date on those.

Escher
  • Reply 422 of 436
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    The future of Apple.

Hmmmm.

The iPod and iTunes are now a big part of that future whether we like Apple's time and resources taken away from the Mac or not. They already are. Fact.

It's getting the Apple brand(!) good exposure. They're the new Sony. ?

Indirectly, that's BOUND to have some degree (start arguing now...) of halo effect on the Mac division (heh.)

Personally, I don't believe Apple have THE computer for the iPod generation/crowd.

The next 'iMac' should be this computer. Suggestions?

I'd like an AGP slot. I'd like it 'headless'. It would be nice to mount a 17 inch ALU or 20 inch ALU screen LCD on top of the 'i-Serve' 'Mac'.

Myself, I wouldn't mind if they drop the 'Mac' name for this. Would it matter? Especially if they could sell 4 million of these computers without the Mac vs PC stigmatism and perception.

Maybe the motherboard might be build into the into the LCD monitor and the next 'iMac' could be run right off a colour next gen' iPod?

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

IF the next consumer Mac is going to have anything like the impact of the iMac bubble Mac then it has got to do some ground breaking in the way Apple's 'Tiger' is doing. 'Tiger' is challenging the way we use an OS with breaking tech'. Airport 'Express' is doing this. As is the iPod in the way we listen to music.

Apple need a kind of 'iMac Express'. A truly portable Computer Desktop(!). Redefine the desktop.

How much longer before we can run a Mac-scalable 'Tiger' OS right off a colour iPod with a wireless computer and keyboard?

More portable than a portable?

Lemon Bon Bon (Still dreaming...)
  • Reply 423 of 436
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Does anyone other than myself find it odd that Apple only offers a 20 inch monitor at the low end?

I wonder what will use a 17? Perhaps this headless iMac notion has legs....? Perhaps it will be available as the default config with an iMac with possibility to get a larger one? Yet again, allowing the iMac to function as an "enabler."

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 424 of 436
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    There's enough space below each of the new displays, where a Powerbook or my idea of a 2" thick "Slab" (a.k.a Powerbook without built-in display) can go. Slab can be the headless iMac or next DLD, I hope.
  • Reply 425 of 436
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If QT7 is the most important part of the WWDC...why was there zero mention of it?

I hope people continue to live that world you create for them because I like to know people are gullible and stupid and I love to laugh at people like Escher and the likes.

Apple engineers could talk about QT 7 during the sessions, which are NDA'd. The Stevenote is about the only thing during WWDC that doesn't have a NDA.

Given the situation, in a way I'm not surprised there wasn't a mention of it.
  • Reply 426 of 436
    Quote:

2" thick "Slab" (a.k.a Powerbook without built-in display) can go. Slab can be the headless iMac or next DLD, I hope.

Given how STUNNING a Powerbook is...why not offer a version twice as deep and have an 'i-Serve' Alu.

Water cooled. 2 gig. Agp slot.

Sit under a 17 inch Alu screen.

Compatible with Airport Express. Colour iPod.

Serve iPhoto, iDVD etc to TV, Stereo.

Home server/computer.

A cross between X-Serve and a Powerbook.

I think that would be far more grown up and stunning than the dome, the beige tower, the marshmallow eMac.

It allows Apple and PC users to switch their current computers 'more cheaply'

You got headless. You got Alu. You got yer current Apple studio. You got sync out of sync aesthetic.

A 'consumer' TV serving beast that can go from £495 to low end PowerMac territory depending on integrated or slot upgradeable i-Serve.

Something that can sit on yer Tv or on office desk...or on its side ala PS2 or in racks...ala X-Serve. iGrid to network home cpu power.

Remote controllable ala iPod in glove compartment. So what will become steering wheel? Colour iPod?

Just thinking...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Wirelss Keyboard/mouse optional...mandatory?

Hmmm. Imagine if you could use iPod as mouse...with laser out back...use scroll wheel and click...touch sensitive...cover for its screen as your palm rests on it...
  • Reply 427 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

If QT7 is the most important part of the WWDC...why was there zero mention of it?

There was, you just weren't listening.

Core Image/Video/Audio... that's the foundation for QT7, and what will make QT production on a Mac heads and shoulders above that for other platforms.

Think of it this way: QT handles images, video, and audio, in a time-encoded way, with data transport streams to and from hardware. That's a lot to replace with new code.

Core* handles the media ends of things, more than adequately. (Heck, these new libraries are just frickin' sweet, and exactly what QT needs for a shot in the arm.)

IOKit handles the hardware data streams beautifully.

QT7 now only needs to handle the time-encoding and to tie the other systems together into a workflow-based API instead of a technology-based API.

I'm thrilled... we're so much closer to a solid QT7 than last week it isn't funny. I'd like to have the new API like two months ago, of course, so I can start targeting it, but this is a hell of a boost. I expect QT7 to be out along side Tiger early next year.

Quote:

I hope people continue to live that world you create for them because I like to know people are gullible and stupid and I love to laugh at people like Escher and the likes.

Oh good for you. Take that thought with you to keep you warm, as you leave. Thanks.
  • Reply 428 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    H264. Go check it out.

Quote:

• Reply 429 of 436
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If the new iMac is being built around a 90nm Freescale part that could very well mean a release of the machine in Europe. There certainly would be marketing advantages to doing so.

My suspicions are that they are waiting on the finalization of a SOC implementation of the G4. That may be a part built in Freescales old US plants or it may be a part from the new partnership in Europe. Either way I think Apple realizes that they have to address the very real price / performance issue that the iMacs have. That can best be done by throwing technology at the problem. A SOC with a PCI-e channel to video would be ideal.

If nothing else we can dream that Apple is actually going to agressively attack market share and pricing. At least until the iMac or its replacement hits the market.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Given that the iMac is drying out in the channel, I think an iMac release is imminent. I'm guessing next month.

I'm not the only person who noticed that the keynote ended 15 minutes early. They must be close, but waiting on something.

So, an Apple Event in July it'll be, then. Now that I've settled on that, it's about 95% likely they'll release it in Paris.

• Reply 430 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    Kormac says this...

- New service to support Consumer Electronics.

I won't says he is 100% wrong, although iMac/iProjector didn't come out. I think many people missed the importance of the integrated syncing, H264 and RSS feeds for iPod or other consumer devices.

- the new syncing allows iPod or other devices to sync with other applications

- H264 can works for 3G phone, what about iPod? Is Apple coming out with a video devices related to it?

- How about syncing with RSS feeds/bookmarks with iPod or other devices?
  • Reply 431 of 436
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Why don't you guys wait until today... when the quicktime presentation happens.
  • Reply 432 of 436
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Why don't you guys wait until today... when the quicktime presentation happens.

Yep, definately worth checking out. It goes into quite a bit of detail and the iChatAV presentation at the end was slicker than whale shit in an iceflow!

All part of H.264 and QT magic.
  • Reply 433 of 436
    Quote:

I'm thrilled... we're so much closer to a solid QT7 than last week it isn't funny. I'd like to have the new API like two months ago, of course, so I can start targeting it, but this is a hell of a boost. I expect QT7 to be out along side Tiger early next year.

Thanks for explaining that bit! QT 7 looks to be awesome!

Thinking while watching keynote, I couldn't help but think that some great hardware could be made from the new QT7 standards and OS tech' in 'Tiger'.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 434 of 436
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Thanks for explaining that bit! QT 7 looks to be awesome!

Thinking while watching keynote, I couldn't help but think that some great hardware could be made from the new QT7 standards and OS tech' in 'Tiger'.

Lemon Bon Bon

Not only that... but some great software too.
  • Reply 435 of 436
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    so i guess the obvious next question is: Kormac, what happened?

its not that what you said was unbelieveable but sheesh, what a let down.

is the tech not ready or is there something else going on that we just dont know about?
  • Reply 436 of 436
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    I think it is plausible that indeed some of the technology is not ready, i.e. the iMac G5.

Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

so i guess the obvious next question is: Kormac, what happened?

its not that what you said was unbelieveable but sheesh, what a let down.

is the tech not ready or is there something else going on that we just dont know about?