G5-2.5 shipping dates.

1356717

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 335
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    I ordered through the online Apple Store, which is, I think the only way you can get built in bluetooth. I think that's a bit annoying, since it kept me from exploring other options like the free ram deal that other sellers offer.



    In any event, my credit card has been charged. The computer amount is listed as 'pending' on my card statement, so I think we're on the verge. My status still says on or before the 30th and a call to Apple confirmed that is still their plan.
  • Reply 42 of 335
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    I just called and changed my video card from the 9800XT to the Nvidia 6800 DDL. Shipping page still shows 7/30, but the girl on the phone explicitly told me it should be arriving around 8/18. I ordered through ADC.
  • Reply 43 of 335
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by fugimax

    I just called and changed my video card from the 9800XT to the Nvidia 6800 DDL. Shipping page still shows 7/30, but the girl on the phone explicitly told me it should be arriving around 8/18. I ordered through ADC.



    Just added a 40GB iPod to my order and was told the ship date for my entire order would be by July 30th...takes 3-5 business days to ship. Should arrive by August 6th, so still on schedule.
  • Reply 44 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    You guys might want to recheck your dates. Mine just got moved to 8/30/04. I'm cancelling it today if they don't put it back.
  • Reply 45 of 335
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Well here we go again? Just called my rep over at MacMall and it looks like their initial shipments of 2.5s have been moved back to Aug 6. 3 weeks ago its was the july 30th so it looks like Jobs has once again put his big fat foot into you know where. he did say July of 2004 did he not? I wonder what kind of problems i may be in for with this revA machine. maybe i should have gone with the 2.0? liquid cooling & 970fx may be giving them more problems. whats a yahoo to do?
  • Reply 46 of 335
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I was just playing arround with a custom configured G5, when I got to the shopping cart there was an item listed as a configured item:



    Accessory kit \t 065-4894





    What is it?
  • Reply 47 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Well what pisses me off is mine was prepaid with cash. So I'm switching to dual 2.0 w/ 9600xt, ipod 20gb, and hp printer for 2 dollars less. 2294. This really pisses me off.. but I think it is a good thing. I have had really bad luck with mac computers when they are out of the 1 year warranty. And apple never offers to fix them. My luck the 13th month the water cooling would spring a leak.... 2300 down the drain just like that. I would be pissed. I play games on my opteron system... so its not that big of a deal for a 20% decrease in speed. And yes it is 20%... not 25%... apple internal tests showed it was only a 20% gain from dual 2.0 to dual 2.5.
  • Reply 48 of 335
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    Well what pisses me off is mine was prepaid with cash. So I'm switching to dual 2.0 w/ 9600xt, ipod 20gb, and hp printer for 2 dollars less. 2294. This really pisses me off.. but I think it is a good thing. I have had really bad luck with mac computers when they are out of the 1 year warranty. And apple never offers to fix them. My luck the 13th month the water cooling would spring a leak.... 2300 down the drain just like that. I would be pissed. I play games on my opteron system... so its not that big of a deal for a 20% decrease in speed. And yes it is 20%... not 25%... apple internal tests showed it was only a 20% gain from dual 2.0 to dual 2.5.



    Emig.. as an Apple developer I'm sure you would probably automatically get AppleCare coverage..right?? I get AppleCare for every Mac. It's a fantastic safety net, just in case your "watercooling" or anything else goes down. For something as revolutionary as the new 2.5 I'd say that APC is pretty much a must have.



    Personally, I really don't care if it takes an extra week or two, I have 2 dual G4 systems happily number crunching away here in the meantime anyway. But I do sympathise with anyone who *has* to have their system now. I'd love mine to be delivered tomorrow, but I'd rather not lose sleep over it and get pissed off. I'm sure the NVidia card is worth the extra wait, not to mention the fact that in order to run even ONE 30" monitor you'll be needing one. I plan on grabbing a 30" flatscreen in the next 3 months (and if that is as good as the people at the Dev store have told me, another relatively soon after that) so that's the only reason why I chose the 6800 card. I need the option of a looooooong timeline for my work (music production).



  • Reply 49 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    I can't afford applecare

    I got it with my quicksilver 867 and never got to even use it. Waste of 250 or whatever it was. What my plan is, I will probably sell the dual 2.0 revb when the rev c's come out and get one of those bad boys. I'll probably get another ADC membership going on and get another discount.



    I need a mac now, I need it bad. I sold my 867 in december cause I thought the g5s were coming out in jan. What is it now? September? So thats about 9 months without a mac if I waited that long. I have these cocoa projects that need to get finished and I can't finish them without tiger. The emac doesn't have a dvd drive to install tiger on . Btw the eMac is borrowed from my boss until I get a g5.
  • Reply 50 of 335
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    I can't afford applecare

    I got it with my quicksilver 867 and never got to even use it. Waste of 250 or whatever it was. What my plan is, I will probably sell the dual 2.0 revb when the rev c's come out and get one of those bad boys. I'll probably get another ADC membership going on and get another discount.



    I need a mac now, I need it bad. I sold my 867 in december cause I thought the g5s were coming out in jan. What is it now? September? So thats about 9 months without a mac if I waited that long. I have these cocoa projects that need to get finished and I can't finish them without tiger. The emac doesn't have a dvd drive to install tiger on . Btw the eMac is borrowed from my boss until I get a g5.




    OK...



    there's a few issues here. The G5 Rev A's came out last summer. You could have got one then right?



    Based on the release time of the RevA G5's, I really don't think anyone expected the 3GHz speedbump to occur until *this* fall at the earliest. Jobs had said that the 3GHz barrier will be reached. Of course, we'll see. I personally feel that there's no need to predict something like that - just having any of the new G5s (and I've worked on many) makes my job so much more efficient. The new 2.5's hold an as yet untold promise of processing power and also quiet operation (noise reduced by less fan activity). My work in music really necessitates a quiet ambient environment, so the watercooled 2.5 and it's touted superquiet noise levels are indeed very attractive to me and all my clients.



    Emig: Tiger isn't slated to appear until Spring of next year at the current earliest, so if your livelihood depends on this type of stuff you might want to reassess your priorities. All in all, a two week wait for the new 2.5 (or even a 4 week wait for that matter) might not have a significant effect on your workflow. All of these bad boys will all be running Panther until next spring anyhow...



    Hoping this helps a bit..



  • Reply 51 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Auslander, Yes you are right, they will be running panther. But I won't. I want to dive into core data and coreimage NOW. My apps will depend on coreImage. And I want them to be ready by the time tiger is released. I have a feeling other developers would appreciate it very much if it was finished well before then.



    I waited because I didn't want to buy a g5 and 2 weeks later the rev bs come out. I'm glad I waited. I get an even bigger discount on a dual 2.0. I'm glad you elaborated the fact that any g5 you work on makes your workflow much more efficient. That makes me look forward to working on it and proves to myself that i DON'T need a dual 2.5 and can settle for a dual 2.0. I port applications from windows -> macs. I test software on macs. I build websites in jsp, perl, and php. Not a whole lot of cpu intensive tasks except for the graphics part of web development. Stuff my 867 couldn't handle any more. Never really could.



    But also I didn't get my ADC membership until february. Ever since I kept hearing rumors, new powermacs, new powermacs new powermacs. That is why I didn't buy. I was thinking pci-e... etc. Thats what i get for listening to rumors. Either way... dual 2.0 revb will be just fine. With it being next to my pc, i'm sure I won't be able to hear it . I was on a bunch of them at WWDC and never heard a thing. This was on the floors when sessions were in session and nobody was around.



    Anyways, I expected this date to get moved back. Just like last year. I always expect it from apple. Its ok though... if I really NEEDED a 2.5 over a 2.0 then I would wait. But now I want an iPod more than that 20% increase in speed.
  • Reply 52 of 335
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    Auslander, Yes you are right, they will be running panther. But I won't. I want to dive into core data and coreimage NOW. My apps will depend on coreImage. And I want them to be ready by the time tiger is released. I have a feeling other developers would appreciate it very much if it was finished well before then.



    I waited because I didn't want to buy a g5 and 2 weeks later the rev bs come out. I'm glad I waited. I get an even bigger discount on a dual 2.0. I'm glad you elaborated the fact that any g5 you work on makes your workflow much more efficient. That makes me look forward to working on it and proves to myself that i DON'T need a dual 2.5 and can settle for a dual 2.0. I port applications from windows -> macs. I test software on macs. I build websites in jsp, perl, and php. Not a whole lot of cpu intensive tasks except for the graphics part of web development. Stuff my 867 couldn't handle any more. Never really could.



    But also I didn't get my ADC membership until february. Ever since I kept hearing rumors, new powermacs, new powermacs new powermacs. That is why I didn't buy. I was thinking pci-e... etc. Thats what i get for listening to rumors. Either way... dual 2.0 revb will be just fine. With it being next to my pc, i'm sure I won't be able to hear it . I was on a bunch of them at WWDC and never heard a thing. This was on the floors when sessions were in session and nobody was around.



    Anyways, I expected this date to get moved back. Just like last year. I always expect it from apple. Its ok though... if I really NEEDED a 2.5 over a 2.0 then I would wait. But now I want an iPod more than that 20% increase in speed.




    Emig: Yeah, it's all good. My current workhorses are Dual 1.25's so I'm really looking forward to the new G5.



    In any case, a day here..a day there..it eventually shows up. If you need something immediately (as HAS happened on a couple of occasions for me) you can always buy a model that's currently in stock and stop the bleeding...



  • Reply 53 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Yah bud... i'm dying here
  • Reply 54 of 335
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by emig647

    I need a mac now, I need it bad. I sold my 867 in december cause I thought the g5s were coming out in jan. What is it now? September? So thats about 9 months without a mac if I waited that long. I have these cocoa projects that need to get finished and I can't finish them without tiger. The emac doesn't have a dvd drive to install tiger on . Btw the eMac is borrowed from my boss until I get a g5.



    You know, I can't understand people that sell their old Mac before they get their new Mac up and running? What is that? I always keep my old Mac, until I'm confident the new Mac is up and running and I didn't miss transferring any files to the new Mac.
  • Reply 55 of 335
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Leonard

    You know, I can't understand people that sell their old Mac before they get their new Mac up and running? What is that? I always keep my old Mac, until I'm confident the new Mac is up and running and I didn't miss transferring any files to the new Mac.



    I'm with you there, especially since the person merely thought that new macs were coming out in January. I could almost understand it if you'd ordered a new computer and it's about to arrive. Even then, what if it's defective, etc..?



    However, I did take the hard drive out of my Sawtooth G4 and put it in a new firewire enclosure. I'm running my system externally in anticipation of the new comp. When the dual 2.5 gets here, it's just plug in and transfer firewire style. Voooom! All done.



    There is something maddening and suspenseful about the G5 wait this time, logging into the apple webstore and seeing 'on or before 7/30' several times a day. It's so constant yet imminent that for me it's getting dramatic. Almost like HAL deadpanning 'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that. Dave...Dave....Dave....'



    Something has got to give!
  • Reply 56 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Jeez, Attack me why don't you?



    Let me tell you why. I'm going through a software engineering program. Guess how much mac programming we do? None. I was forced to live on pcs the last year. We did nothing but MFC, C# with winforms, and QT linux programming, and no I wasn't going to do the Linux programming on a mac because I didn't want to have to write make files for both platforms every time I wanted to turn in a project.



    My mac was basically idling and doing nothing but depreciating in value. My friend offered me A LOT more money than it was worth and I knew I wouldn't get that kind of offer again.



    Also I'm obviously not rich like you guys are. I don't have 3k cash just to throw down on a computer when ever I feel like it. The method I use is what middle class and lower class people do... yah sell what they have in order to upgrade.



    I didn't realize it was going to be exactly a year between g5 updates. My mac was not being productive at all for my needs and it was time to get rid of it. Why keep something that hinders your workflow?
  • Reply 57 of 335
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Well, you made it sound like your work was falling behind because you didn't have a Mac and you desperately needed a Mac. You made it sound like your business depended on a Mac. In that situation, I'd never be without a Mac.



    By the way, I'm also middle class. I'm definitely not rich.
  • Reply 58 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    It is at this point in time. School is over with and I have a lot of testing and programming that need to be done and I need to run tiger in order to finish these.



    After talking to ADC again this morning it is my belief that they really don't care about selling computers. I have been treated like sh*t. Now they are trying to tell me I can not change my order from the dual 2.5 to dual 2.0. When its PREPAID!!! They have my cash and since they moved my ship date from 7/30 to 8/30 they would have my cash for at least 6 weeks! I have never been treated like this from a company. Most companies bend over backwards to sell you their product. But it is my belief that since this is ADC and they are giving out discounts that they don't really care.



    Very poor attitudes coming from that store.
  • Reply 59 of 335
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    On my part, there was no intent to attack anyone. However, if you had no use for a mac during that time, and were working on strictly pc stuff, then why are you complaining about the wait?



    I'm not rich either, but selling the old computer can be done quickly before the first credit card statement comes. In any event, my apologies if my comments came across as an attack.



    What I think we can all agree on, however, is that the wait is getting maddening and it's time for our computers to get here.
  • Reply 60 of 335
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,426member
    Yah we definitely can agree on that. Like I said, back then it wasn't needed.. it is now. My MFC apps are done (this is what i'm porting to the mac) and its time to port them. Devs can really benefit from it once I get CoreData down.



    Any ways, i'm tired of stressing over it. At this point I'm tired of talking to apple and whatever happens happens. Hopefully this time next year I'll be using an employee discount instead.
Sign In or Register to comment.