Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 401 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by YYZ

I still can't believe Apple would take such a quantum leap backwards in terms of screen manuverability. Going from the G4 imac with its floating screen to a next generation imac that you adjust by dragging back and forth across your desk...?

Exactly. All of the "guts on the back" designs are ergonomically average at best. I just refuse to believe the iMac 3 will simply be a nicer looking Gateway Profile.

I still think it will be a white plastic and chrome version of the new ALU displays with the guts in a two inch thick base. The cable to the screen could even remain external and feed through the cutout in the stand like the Cinema Displays. I think that would look very cool and offer at least some amount of screen movement.

(If you haven't used one of the new ALUs yet, the vertical positioning of the display hinge is rock solid, yet buttery smooth. Very pleasing.)
  • Reply 402 of 484
    I disagree with going away from the most recent Imac design too. I love the articulating arm... obviously.

The only reason I could understand going to the new design is if they are going to make it much much cheaper... which it doesn't sound like they plan on doing.

But people need to realize when they mock-up the new design for the Imac they need to remember there is going to be a big mass the size of that half basketball that was the base of the old Imac that has to go somewhere on the new design.

Which is sad really... because you basically end up with a CRT again. lol
  • Reply 403 of 484
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

... But people need to realize when they mocku up the new design for the Imac hey need to remember there is going to be a big mass the size of that basketball that was the base of the old Imac that has to go somewhere on the new design. ...

I think you're point is valid, but doesn't go far enough. I predict the base of the new iMac will be noticeably larger than the last. Liquid cooling probably isn't in the cards for the consumer machine (since it would raise the price too much); so they would have to leave enough room for multiple fans and a large (traditional) heat sink.

I wouldn't be surprised if the overall cosmetic appearance of the iMac3 will not be significantly different than the last version.
  • Reply 406 of 484
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

This may be the closest guess yet on what the iMac will be as it is "simple" in design as had been described on one site.

That looks like a prettier version of a Sun Ray 150

• Reply 407 of 484
    I love the hiMac.

Looks sexy. Cube-esque.

I also adore the G4 headless Mac with white plastic base unit.

Both got me revved.

Headless folks, starting praying it looks that good...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 408 of 484
    How do you post pictures?

I still can't figure it out...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 409 of 484
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    I agree, the HiMac is cool, but if it's £1300 + it's to expensive. I'd pay £999 for it.

I'd buy a headless if it was £699 - £799
  • Reply 410 of 484
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    I like this one.

• Reply 411 of 484
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

The headless uMac does look nice and equally so for the artist's iMac.

• Reply 412 of 484
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Yep, this is nice:

but I'd prefer to have the screen on top:

Lemon: you have to upload the image to your website, then copy the url into the popup when you click "image' in the message reply panel.
  • Reply 413 of 484
    Thanks for posting the image lucida.

I would also prefer that the screen be integrated in some way. My space is limited and scattering the parts is not desirable. So an AIO or a headless design that the screen and base can be attached to appear as an AIO is what I am hoping for.

No offense but hopefully a little more svelte than the image you show but the idea is fine.
  • Reply 414 of 484
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A perfect half circle at the back of the screen would be HUGE. No way it's going to be that big.

It's going to be somewhere between a Powerbook and an iMac in overall volume. It all depends on the packaging.

That one looks doable, but I don't know about the optical packaging, something tells me Apple may want to lay the optical down flat regardless of where the mobo goes.

I tell ya what would be neat. See above, if the mobo is attached to the curved rear shell, one could conceivably remove the LCD and attach a mirror image curved shell to the other side to create a quite unique looking tower!
  • Reply 415 of 484
    Thanks Lucida! Now I know how!

I do like your screen above pizza Mac. Looks really nice. Could see that working big time. Would be great for Mac to go 'HDTV' style in the living room. The design has that nice ambiguity about it.

I'd like to see it in alu (grey)!!!

The other pic, the one I wanted to post, is what I'd like the eMac to become. Cheap white display. Cheap white box. G4 or G5.

Clean. Elegant. Buy in heart beat!!!

I do think there's something cooking in the rumors. It seems that the components have been split (maybe) 'tween the monitor and a pizza box mounted behind the LCD?

Personally, I would have thought this means an ALU display. ie Apple's iMac 2 was about 'disappearing' the computer. Alu computer G5 iMac would be a natural progression of that. Few Wintel makers have done it. EVEN Sony's latest attempt looks very clunky!

Basically, fold a Powerbook round so the components are behind the screen and mount the Powerbook on an alu stand and you have what we have a striking computer.

I saw the alu display in flesh last week. Gorgeous. I'd be happy with a thicker version with components mounted on the back.

I can see the new iMac being simple. Elegant. No fuss.

Remember the 'Athens' M$ concept PC that had Matsu (I think...) and others going 'wow' at a few years back?

I think Apple will go one better.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 416 of 484
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by macinJosh

[B]

I hope this is it, simple elegant, wireless, i agree less space wasted on sides but with speaker techology it can be done.

the dome base and similar is now old, apple wants to look different

I vote for simple elegance, minimalist like the new ipod, what is needed nothing more to detract from form and function.

It will be similar to displays I hope, to continue the experience
  • Reply 417 of 484
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    lucida

That µMac is great looking. If only.....
  • Reply 418 of 484
    I don't think it will be "all aluminum". There will be mostly plastics with alumnium elements. Less expensive and actually more durable for a desktop.

Simple looking should be the name of the game. A little less then 10 days - although I expect a leaked photo to emerge 9 1/2 days from now!
  • Reply 419 of 484
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't think it'll take after the new displays. When has Apple ever made an AIO that took after a display?

Mac SE? Nope.

Classic 1 & 2? Nope.

Color Classic? Nope.

LC5X0? Nope.

iMac? Nope.

eMac? Nope.

iMac2? Nope.

I see a trend here.
  • Reply 420 of 484
    I'll stretch here and say that the iMac 2/extinct model did take after a display. That is why it would be hard not to see this incorporated in some way again.