Library 3.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 169
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What if Amazon goes down?

You mean like I've been wishing they would?

Well, Apple and Amazon could both go down at the same time that the internet is abandoned to spammers and Mt. Rainer buries Seattle in boiling mud, but in the meantime I can't really blame them for offering what they can with what's available.

I could wish for integration with a cooler bookstore, like Powell's, though...
  • Reply 22 of 169
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Well, Apple and Amazon could both go down at the same time that the internet is abandoned to spammers and Mt. Rainer buries Seattle in boiling mud

Hey! I got family here!

I like this app. For insurance purposes it would be nice to be able to backup the data and any pertinent info to a CD along with photographs of the physical libraries. In the event of theft or fire it'd be a lot easier to deal with your insurance company.
  • Reply 23 of 169
    And Amazon has a very extense catalog. So it works to use it for this type of applications.
  • Reply 24 of 169
    I agree that it rocks. I wonder if it will support automatically loading and playing dvd disc images. In a couple years when cheap terabyte drives are available and you will be able to copy your entire DVD collection to them.

I, for one, have always dreamed of having all my media accessable through my mac.

Don't get me started on the books...
  • Reply 25 of 169
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    looks fab!

wondering how it will deal with music already in my itunes library? hopefully it will just import it in automatically -- don't want to get into digging out all my cd's again as i've only just finished ripping them!
  • Reply 26 of 169
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I agree that it rocks. I wonder if it will support automatically loading and playing dvd disc images. In a couple years when cheap terabyte drives are available and you will be able to copy your entire DVD collection to them.

I, for one, have always dreamed of having all my media accessable through my mac.

Don't get me started on the books...

No...this isn't a launcher...it's a cataloger of physical objects.

I'm currently working on a ROM launcher for emulators. I might do something similar for DVD rips, eBooks, and installed games.
  • Reply 27 of 169
    any idea when this is going to be released?
  • Reply 28 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

any idea when this is going to be released?

I emailed Mike Matas and he said sometime within the next month or two!
  • Reply 29 of 169
    just thinking -- hope they have an option to change the amazon store you can use i.e. US or UK.

uk covers are sometimes different to us ones!
  • Reply 30 of 169
    I hope they have a hidden "other" category where you can scan anything with a barcode. It would be pretty cool if I could have an inventory of EVERYTHING that comes into my house.

I mean, Amazon sells just about everything as it is. I'd love to scan in appliances, tools, etc. and create a file with scans of my reciepts and waranty information.

Yeah, yeah.. I know, it's a little beyond it's purpose, but this software certainly has the capability, why not leave it enabled for the adventurous?
  • Reply 31 of 169
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I hope they have a hidden "other" category where you can scan anything with a barcode. It would be pretty cool if I could have an inventory of EVERYTHING that comes into my house.

I mean, Amazon sells just about everything as it is. I'd love to scan in appliances, tools, etc. and create a file with scans of my reciepts and waranty information.

Yeah, yeah.. I know, it's a little beyond it's purpose, but this software certainly has the capability, why not leave it enabled for the adventurous?

If they did this, they'd have a whole new market to sell to; people who want all of the belongings (and appropriate sales receipts) recorded in case their house goes up in flames. Heck, use the iSight to take pics and stick the pics on the shelves even.
  • Reply 32 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i guess you didn't notice that there is at least one alternate "metal shelf" theme in there.

but hey, i like the wood in THIS context.

The metal shelf is what appears under Incoming, which is where all imported items start out. Scanned items that successfully get information returned from Amazon move into the appropriate collection. As the information is retrieved the box on the shelf indicates that it's getting the info. If an error of some kind happens (like information is not found) the box then indicates that and you can select the item and manually enter the details on the right hand side.
  • Reply 33 of 169
    Is there an ETA for this yet?
  • Reply 34 of 169
    I TOO THINK THAT THIS LOOKS GOOD!!! But only because I am anally retentive, and love the idea of cataloging all my belongings (I got DVDmanager from version tracker last week and am half way thru entering all my dvd's... but will stop now and wait for this).

One question tho... If you already own the product (DVD for example), why would you then buy it from Amazon? Why do you need the Buy Now Option? Surely you wouldn't be cataloging things you plan on buying in the near future?

And who ever finds out about a release date, post it here so we can all get our dirty little mits all over this thing.

iDunno
  • Reply 35 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The co-developer (graphics developer), Michael Matas used to be a regular over here, speling mistakes and all . He's like 17 years old now. Wish he would come and visit us sometimes, and tell us about his product.

Hehe! Poor guy, that's all people ever talked about...his spelling mistakes.
  • Reply 36 of 169
    I emailed michael matas last night and asked him when we could expect a full version of this to be completed and he replied, "Hopefully, in about a month". I didn't ask about price but that at least gives everyone a time frame to save up for.

Luther
  • Reply 37 of 169
    Maybe you should ask him the price

And tell him to hurry up.... surely he can see that he has a waiting audience, just because he is developing for Apple doesn't mean he needs to act like them

iDunno
  • Reply 38 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luther

I emailed michael matas last night and asked him when we could expect a full version of this to be completed and he replied, "Hopefully, in about a month". I didn't ask about price but that at least gives everyone a time frame to save up for.

Luther

Mike Matas is known to reveal too much info too quick. I'm sure Wil won't be too happy once he learns Matas just gave us a release date. I wouldn't take that release date seriously if I were you.

Mike Matas only does the graphics art (and possibly the GUI layout but who really knows), Shipley and the original Library author are the brains behind the app and *they* decide when the app is good to go...not Matas.
  • Reply 39 of 169
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Now this is an app. i've been waiting for!

Looks fantastic!

Hope It can print a hard copy catalog of CDs in the library including all track info.
  • Reply 40 of 169
    It can currently print a list of all your music CD's and and the album art in alphabetical order. Anything more is not in the beta.

Luther