Library 3.0

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    Will you be able to view the cd's and books in Spine View, like they would normally be on bookshelf?

iDunno.
  • Reply 42 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

Will you be able to view the cd's and books in Spine View, like they would normally be on bookshelf?

iDunno.

Since the spine cover art is hardly ever scanned (Amazon doesn't have the spine artwork), I'd say no.
  • Reply 43 of 169
    NO, you can only see the front album, book, dvd art. I don't see the back anywhere in the beta.

I will tell you that after playing with the beta for a while. I will buy this application as long as it stays under $50. It is so nice that it is worth that much at least. It really is a pleasure playing with it. Honestly it is the most Apple-like third party application I have ever seen.
  • Reply 44 of 169
    Cool, that was just one of those picky little wish things that hardly matters, I still intend on getting it... if it stays under $50 as well (under $AU50 would be even better).

So Luther, you have the Beta? Is there anywhere else beside the thinksecret report, that we can read more on Library 3.0? I assume from the pics it is integrated with iCal and Address Book?

iDunno
  • Reply 45 of 169
    Most other sources on the net link to thinksecret for their info. I don't think anyone else has done an original piece.

As for ilife interaction, i don't know yet. I just got my hands on the beta and have been playing with it for a few minutes when I get the chance.
  • Reply 46 of 169
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luther

Most other sources on the net link to thinksecret for their info. I don't think anyone else has done an original piece.

As for ilife interaction, i don't know yet. I just got my hands on the beta and have been playing with it for a few minutes when I get the chance.

So do you know if this is near FC?
  • Reply 47 of 169
    It looks pretty complete. You can import movies, books, etc. off of amazon in the beta and it works really well. The menu for video is faded out, but i don't have a camera attached so I don't know if it works in beta or not. I've never developed anything before so I am not a good judge about how far along it is. It looks like the gui is pretty much finished and polished.

Luther
  • Reply 48 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Mike Matas is known to reveal too much info too quick. I'm sure Wil won't be too happy once he learns Matas just gave us a release date. I wouldn't take that release date seriously if I were you.

Mike Matas only does the graphics art (and possibly the GUI layout but who really knows), Shipley and the original Library author are the brains behind the app and *they* decide when the app is good to go...not Matas.

Hah! How do you know all this? You can't have very reliable sources because you're wrong.

First, Mike didn't give a release date, he said something along the lines of 'hopefully in about a month' which is far from giving a release date.

The majority of the work on this application has been done by both Mike and Wil. It's true that they each of their own specialty (Wil codes and Mike does a lot of the 'graphics') but they both work very closely with one another on just about everything and Mike is just as, if not more responsible than Wil for the look and feel of the application, the user interaction and the layout of the interface, etc. A good application is more than just a bunch of code tied to a UI someone threw together in Interface Builder.

You shouldn't make presumptions about who contributes what to the development or who is responsible for deciding the application is ready for prime time.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Mike Matas is known to reveal too much info too quick. I'm sure Wil won't be too happy once he learns Matas just gave us a release date. I wouldn't take that release date seriously if I were you.

Yes Wil was furious when he found out the president of Delicious Monster (me) was answering a customers e-mail. Wil and I are 50/50 partners and owners in our new company. Please fuck off.

Quote:

[i]Mike Matas only does the graphics art (and possibly the GUI layout but who really knows), Shipley and the original Library author are the brains behind the app and *they* decide when the app is good to go...not Matas. [/B]

Once again, fuck you. You do not know anything about me, Wil or our company. I started designing this app before Wil was even part of the company and have continued to design the UI, features and graphics. Wil and I work together every day shaping our app and our company. We are a great team.

I am glad to see everyone so excited about the app! We are wrapping things up and really should have everything set to launch within the next month. We have an incredible website that we are getting ready to launch that was designed by the incredible Capacitor Design network (behind the xBox logo, lots of Burton snowboard stuff and a ton of other cool shit). They have one of the most unique styles I have ever seen and it is coming through incredibly in our website. Thanks for your patience it will be rewarded very soon!

-Mike Matas

Delicious Monster President
  • Reply 50 of 169
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Guys, no tit for tat personal attacks, this is a thread about a great looking piece of software - don't spoil it.
  • Reply 51 of 169
    Calm down mister president...the last thing the president wants to do is tell their customers to 'fuck off.'

The other thing you might want to not do is give out an ETA. Because in a month from now, if the product isn't out, people will be banging on your door.

You've got somethings to learn before you perfect your business skills.

I never said your work was bad...I have nothing but respect for your graphics art. And I should have done my homework to figure out who was doing the interface work...I also have respect for the interface itself. I'm sorry if I have offended you by saying that I didn't know who was responsible for the interface.

I bought an iSight because of Delicious Library.
  • Reply 52 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michaelm8000

Yes Wil was furious when he found out the president of Delicious Monster (me) was answering a customers e-mail. Wil and I are 50/50 partners and owners in our new company. Please fuck off.

Once again, fuck you. You do not know anything about me, Wil or our company. I started designing this app before Wil was even part of the company and have continued to design the UI, features and graphics. Wil and I work together every day shaping our app and our company. We are a great team.

Whoa there Mike. Cool it with the ego crap. I respect all of your work, and your new found company but the last thing you want to do is to tell any potential custimers to fuck off. You do not want/need bad press about you or Delicious Monster. I understand you are only 18 and it is hard for things not get a little over your head but there are times when you got to be professional and that is when you are a representative of your own company.
  • Reply 53 of 169
    Hi, it's me. Let me first say I'm very honored to be able to work with Mike, he's a great designer and a real visionary.

I'm not going to try to take responsibility for anything he posts, but I will say he can be a bit of a hot-head. I do think "kim kap sol" was looking to get a response by posting inflammatory stuff about how minor Mike's role in the company is, but I've also been in the business long enough to have learned to ignore total flame-bate. Heck, he might be one of our competitors trying to get a rise out of us just so we end up looking like bad guys.

Mike is very much one of the 'brains' behind the app and he is, in fact, in charge of our beta program and he's half in charge of marketing, so if he says something will ship at a certain time it's going to be my fault if I miss that deadline, not his.

Look, I've blown up in forums at people, too. Try to imagine working day and night on something for most of a year, not just putting in hours but actually spending all your time thinking and rethinking and trying to figure out how to make every little bit just absolutely perfect in every way, trying to sand away every conceivable rough edge, and then having someone post in a public place that you're not really contributing and you're going to be in trouble when the REAL contributors see what you've done. What Kim said is now part of the public record, and if people do a google search for Mike for the next five years, his wrongheaded assumptions are going to pop up. That's damaging, and in fact if we were the suing type it would be considered slander (we're not, and I'm not threatening, I'm just saying it's a serious thing to do).

Mike didn't get a lot of credit for the cool innovations he added to OmniWeb 5 and OmniOutliner 3, both because he left Omni before they were published and because Omni has a new "everything was designed by a committee" mantra that precludes giving individual credit. (I got "talked to" for taking credit for the design of OmniGraffle 3, for instance.)

So, he's not in the same position I am, where I can say, "Duh, everyone knows I'm contributing to this, I'm the old Omni founder! That's the way I roll, boyeee."

--

So, uh, for the record, kim, please don't assert what will and will not make me happy, and, uh, Mike, please don't cuss at people, even if they, like, insult your mom. (Who's really nice and one of our best beta-testers, actually.)

Thanks for listening to my ramble, folks. If you have any actual app-related questions my real e-mail is on this message (or should be?) so go ahead and mail me, or post 'em here. We're a tiny company and we have strong personalities and that's just kind of the way tiny companies are, but of course we don't want to tick off our customers, and, in fact, we don't want to tick of human beings in general, whether they're giving us money or not. Our mission statement is pretty much to make people smile. Software just happens to be the best way we know.

-Wil Shipley
  • Reply 54 of 169
    various people...

Quote:

Not in this version. We actually have some cool mock-ups of how we might generate the spine from the cover, and some neat ideas of what do with the spine view when we have it, but since CERTAIN of our competitors have done nothing but copy our announced features since the ThinkSecret article, I'm not going to discuss them publicly yet.

Cool stuff, though. Oh yes. Really cool.

Quote:

I will buy this application as long as it stays under $50.

You will buy it, then. Yay.

Quote:

under $AU50 would be even better

I'm sorry, what's that in US$? (See how nicely I didn't write "in REAL money?")

Quote:

I assume from the pics it is integrated with iCal and Address Book?

Yes, indeed. The borrowers are from your Address Book, and if you loan out a book to one it makes an iCal entry for when it's due back, and if you move the entry in iCal the change even gets parsed back in to Delicious Library (thanks, Mr. Titus!).

Quote:

I just got my hands on the beta and have been playing with it for a few minutes when I get the chance.

Yah, I don't want to be mean, but the license agreement on that beta also says you're not supposed to talk about it on the forums yet. We're actually going to release a beta where we encourage you to post about it all you want, but we want to make sure we're feature-complete so we don't have a bunch of wrong info out there.

Quote:

So do you know if this is near FC?

It's pretty dang close. We've got a couple bugs in the current beta 3, but almost every feature is in place. I'm actually taking a couple weeks to write our on-line store, then I'm going to spend a couple weeks(?) fixing the last niggly bugs, then we ship.

-Wil
  • Reply 55 of 169
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wjsdelicious

We're actually going to release a beta where we encourage you to post about it all you want...

Any ETA?

This has to be the most sought after application I have ever wanted! And the first one is OmniGraffle so cheers! When I come to Washington could I buy you a beer? Would offer one to Mike but I do not want to condone to underage drinking!

I will also edit to comment that I have utmost respect for you, and love your software but I do not believe you should be covering Mike's butt here. I believe if anyone should come out and talk about their reaction to the posts and offer any kind of apology, or even cooling the waters, it should be Mike himself.

Keep up the good work, and cannot wait for the beta!
  • Reply 56 of 169
    Yay Wil!

Awesome post, and thanks for answering all my questions. I certainly intend to buy this app. Believe me. And just for the record...

50.00 AUD = 35.2797 USD

...or...

50.00 USD = 70.8660 AUD

iDunno
  • Reply 57 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I too am eagerly awaiting DL's imminent release. I'd gladly pay $50 for it. Of course, I insist that it be made to work with more than just the US Amazon database!

Tonton has a point. re the US Amazon database.

Also, I asked this earlier... why have a 'buy now' option if you already own the dvd's?

iDunno
  • Reply 58 of 169
    Quote:

I insist that it be made to work with more than just the US Amazon database!

We've got some code to screen-scrape the French Amazon site, and of course England and Germany and Japan have their own XML interfaces, but we aren't going to enable those for 3.0 -- sorry, but we've got to ship this beast.

3.1 should be localized in other languages (bonjour, Xavier!) and at the same time we'll make it automatically hit foreign sites for foreign UPCs. It's going to be cool.

Quote:

why have a 'buy now' option if you already own the dvd's

You might want to buy one for a friend. Also, I've used the program to find books I really want (using the recommend feature) and then added them to my library and THEN bought them. Hopefully in a future version we'll come up with a better way to do this.

-W
  • Reply 59 of 169
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    all sounds super cool!

will be looking forward to the UK Amazon integration (especially as i often like the uk cover designs better than the us ones!). hopefully there may be a way to swap/update art when that feature gets added??
  • Reply 60 of 169
    You should also integrate a function for people... who you hate, who you like such and such... just a thought... but hey, I'm no coder!

nah, all sounds good Wil. As you said, "Ship that beast!"

iDunno