G4 or G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I am a windows person who wants to buy a powerbook. My question is: Should I get a Powerbook G4, or wait for the G5? Does anyone think that the PBG5 could be unveiled at the London show in November? I dont want to buy a G4 and then see that the G5 just comes out after my purchase.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    I say if you can wait, wait for it. Or you can always buy an ibook and when the G5 pbook comes out sell the ibook and buy the pbook G5. But, most likely if you were looking at the 12" pbook apple may stick a 1.5 Ghz G4 in there and move the 15" and 17" to G5 since the G5 probably can't fit in that small of a foot print. But, I am sure apple will surprise us. The likely event for the unvieling is MWSF in January.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    If you can wait, wait. This is the same advice in the windows world.

It is going to be a while before a G5 powerbook is released. We'll probably see another rev of the G4 powerbooks. If you can wait a while, then I would say wait until the G4 powerbooks go through one more upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

If you can wait, wait. This is the same advice in the windows world.

It is going to be a while before a G5 powerbook is released. We'll probably see another rev of the G4 powerbooks. If you can wait a while, then I would say wait until the G4 powerbooks go through one more upgrade.

What processor will apple use besides the G5? The 7447A is maxed out at 1.5 Ghz. The 7448 and the e600 are both vaporware. The dual core G4 is still under developement and won't be seen intill May-July. The only processor left is the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by tastyapple

Hi, I am a windows person who wants to buy a powerbook. My question is: Should I get a Powerbook G4, or wait for the G5? Does anyone think that the PBG5 could be unveiled at the London show in November? I dont want to buy a G4 and then see that the G5 just comes out after my purchase.

Thanks for the thoughts.

What is wrong with the G4? It is still a powerfull processor for notebooks.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

What is wrong with the G4? It is still a powerfull processor for notebooks.

Nothing, however the G5 is much better. The G4 is deadlocked at 1.5, as quagmire stated above. Freescale is vaporware. Apple has released specs for the PowerBook G5 already in 10.3.5. The G5 is coming.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    what is 10.3.5? where did you see these specs?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by tastyapple

what is 10.3.5? where did you see these specs?

Mac OS X version 10.3.5 (current)...

look in:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Contents/Info.plist

On lines 53-56 you will find:

53 <key>PowerBook7,1</key>

54 <string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>

55 <key>PowerBook7,2</key>

56 <string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>

What is a PowerBook7,1 and PowerBook7,2? Not released yet. SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin refers to the System Management Unit which monitors and controls processor (970fx) speed, voltage, temperature, fan controls and speeds, etc....this has been discussed in detail a while ago.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The 7448 and the e600 are both vaporware.

You speak with certainty on a topic that I believe you know very little of. Either put up evidence to what you claim or have the decency to admit that your statements are based upon speculation and not fact.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

You speak with certainty on a topic that I believe you know very little of. Either put up evidence to what you claim or have the decency to admit that your statements are based upon speculation and not fact.

Have they been announced? Are they shipping? No, thus vaporware:

Freescale Roadmap
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Have they been announced? Are they shipping? No, thus vaporware

So anything that *could* be in development but hasn't been announced and therefore isn't shipping is vaporware?
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:

So anything that *could* be in development but that hasn't been announced and therefore isn't shipping is vaporware?

yeah but its nothing until they can prove they have a working product
  • Reply 12 of 68
    Note that I'm not claiming that Freescale *will* deliver never processors to Apple. What I'm saying is that neither Quagmire nor Rhumgod knows for sure they won't. So saying that Freescale is vaporware is speculation presented as fact.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:

Note that I'm not claiming that Freescale *will* deliver never processors to Apple. What I'm saying is that neither Quagmire nor Rhumgod knows for sure they won't. So saying that Freescale is vaporware is speculation presented as fact.

Jesus, ok here's a link to the definition of vaporware:

Hacker's Dictionary

vaporware

/vay'pr-weir/ n. Products announced far in advance of any release (which may or may not actually take place).

7448 and e600 sure sound like that to me!
  • Reply 14 of 68
    In order for something to be vaporware it has to take a long time getting released after it is announced, or never show up at all. Which we don't know for sure Freescale's 7448- and e600-processors will or won't. Ergo, they are not vaporware *yet*.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Apple has itself said that the G5 PowerBook is not around the corner. Considering they were willing to pre-announce the iMacG5, I'd take that as reasonable assurance you won't see a PBG5 before the new year, if not next summer. What's telling is that's the exact same thing many of us were saying last year at this time. So I really don't think the PBG5 is close enough to be worth waiting for. If you want a PowerBook now, buy a PowerBook now. They're sweet machines, and you can get $200 off an iPod, too.

Quote:

Joswiak cautions that it would be tougher to build the current chip into a laptop than it was to get it in an all-in-one. "The challenges of cooling a G5 in a Powerbook design are significantly greater," Joswiak said, noting that a Powerbook is less than half as thick as the new iMac, leaving far less room for cooling tricks.

It is also not clear how significantly the G5 supply crunch has eased. "We're not doing any midquarter updates on supply," Joswiak said.

Apple's marketing guru, August 31
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

I never said Freescale is vaporware. I said the e600(which maybe produced by freescale) is vaporware. The 7448 is also vaporware.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:

In order for something to be vaporware it has to take a long time getting released after it is announced, or never show up at all. Which we don't know for sure Freescale's 7448- and e600-processors will or won't. Ergo, they are not vaporware *yet*.

Have the e600 and the 7448 been announced? No. The only thing we know about the e600 is that it is on a roadmap. We do not know anything about the 7448 besides it is the supposed to replace the 7447A. Possibly the dual core G4 is the supposed e600. We don't know though.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I never said Freescale is vaporware. I said the e600(which maybe produced by freescale) is vaporware. The 7448 is also vaporware.

By the definition Rhumgod posted, so is the 0.8v 970fx that would be destined for a PowerBook G5. It was announced as part of the general 970fx rollout, and it's still not shipping.

For that matter, the PowerBook G5 is worse than vaporware, because Apple's never announced it.

So I submit that that definition isn't very helpful in the context of this thread. Pretty much every significant detail involved in the next PowerBook revision is currently vapor. That's why this forum is for speculation about future Apple hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Apple has itself said that the G5 PowerBook is not around the corner. Considering they were willing to pre-announce the iMacG5, I'd take that as reasonable assurance you won't see a PBG5 before the new year, if not next summer. What's telling is that's the exact same thing many of us were saying last year at this time. So I really don't think the PBG5 is close enough to be worth waiting for. If you want a PowerBook now, buy a PowerBook now. They're sweet machines, and you can get $200 off an iPod, too.

Apple's marketing guru, August 31

The only reason why they pre announced the iMac G5 is because 1. We knew that Jobs gave us a hint at WWDC with the demo of spotlight, 2. Stevenote ended 15 minutes early saying somethig was cut off at the last minute. While Joswiak did say the pbook G5 isn't coming before next year. The evidence is strongly against you on this. One, in 10.3.5 pbook 7,1 and 7,2 was found with the MacRISC4 architecture which the current G5 line uses. Two, MWSF is certainly next year.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:

Have the e600 and the 7448 been announced? No. The only thing we know about the e600 is that it is on a roadmap.

Which is exactly why they *aren't* vapourware.

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

vaporware

/vay'pr-weir/ n. Products announced far in advance of any release (which may or may not actually take place).