G4 or G5?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Nothing, however the G5 is much better. The G4 is deadlocked at 1.5, as quagmire stated above. Freescale is vaporware. Apple has released specs for the PowerBook G5 already in 10.3.5. The G5 is coming.

Freescale isn't vaporware per se, it's just a company that is developing a product that's not done yet. They have made no claims about anything, and we have no idea how far along the Freescale engineers are, but I'd put money on the fact that they have more than an idea.

Next, the G4 isn't deadlocked at 1.5Ghz. That's rarely the case with processors. Better fabs will make the frequency higher, and revised/added logic makes it faster without the clock speed increasing. With smaller feature sizes and dynamic power management, often it is better to add logic rather than ramp clock speed.

If the e600/700 are what they are planned to be, then it's a much better solution for a laptop than the G5. You heard me. . . faster, less power, and much cheaper for Apple to build a PCB around. The G5 is not all that cool of a microchip. Very conventional aside from Altivec, which IBM didn't even want to put in it. The e700 is a much more modern design.

I'd take an e700 book over a g5 book in a second, but whatever comes out first I'm buying in 17" form.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    Getting back to the original question, buying Macs has always driven people nuts because we try to project what is just around the corner more than PC users.

I went through the same challenge in April and decided to go with 1.5 15" PB instead of waiting. Quite frankly I'm glad I did. The new PB replaced a 667 PB so I received a significant increase in speed and a HUGE increase in pleasure. My son also received the old 667 and is learning about Macs.

I would recommend you move now and start learning all about Macs and how they work. If your heart is set on a G5 PB then I would get a cheap alternative (an iBook or the new G5 iMac) which can be sold on e-bay for a very good price.

If you are a student (or have one in the family) then you can get an Apple notebook (iBook or PB) AND iPod and get a $200 rebate. Believe this rebate ends on Sep 25th. It does help you look at the overall costs. There is also an option of buying an HP printer and getting a $99 rebate. In both cases you pay sales tax, but do get the rebate and can sell them if they are not needed. the ipod will, however, be hard to sell if you try it for a day or so . . .

The new iMac is another option if you can get by without a notebook form. It'll get a better return on e-bay as it is the newest computer out and has a very strong "wow" factor. You might get 80+% of the purchase price back, making it a cheap option for using a Mac between now and the time the G5 PB comes out.

As for the G5 PB, I believe there are going to be significant challenges in the area of battery life and heat control and that Apple will keep working on it for a while. There are probably prototypes in use right now, which is why 10.3.5 is set as it is, but I would be very surprised if they are announced soon. In addition to the engineering challenges there is also a need to allocate G5 chips between the PMs and iMacs, and there is not an abundance of these chips right now. Maybe in January, but I would put my money on next summer.

In terms of selling on e-bay I believe that the new iMac will return the highest percent, but if you need a form factor then either of the two notebooks would be fine.

I would say get into the Mac world now, notebook or iMac, and then look at how your going when the G5 PB has been on the market for a few months and the initial kinks are worked out.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Vaporware or not, Freescale is going to announce in this year's Fall Processor Forum, the first dual core PowerPC processor. In less than three weeks. See here.

This announcement (yet to see what exactly comes), together with the thinness of the Powerbooks and the power requirements of the chips from IBM and Freescale, make me believe that the next Powerbook update will certainly have a Freescale chip, and by next year, perhaps a dual core one. We will know soon how much appropriate the dual core chips from Freescale will be for Apple's notebooks.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    thttht Posts: 5,606member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Vaporware or not, Freescale is going to announce in this year's Fall Processor Forum, the first dual core PowerPC processor. In less than three weeks. See here.

Heh. It's interesting to note that Freescale's dua-core presentation is in Session 2: High Performance Embedded Processors, not the 1st day Session 1: PC, Notebook and Server Processors.

Presenting along with Freescale in Session 2 is Broadcom (SiByte) and PMC-Sierra, both of which have existing dual core embedded processors, and will be talking about their next gen embedded, most likely dual-core, processors.

Also of note is the keynote presentation is being done by IBM, "Driving System Performance-A New Paradigm." That makes me go, hmm.

Quote:

This announcement (yet to see what exactly comes), together with the thinness of the Powerbooks and the power requirements of the chips from IBM and Freescale, make me believe that the next Powerbook update will certainly have a Freescale chip, and by next year, perhaps a dual core one. We will know soon how much appropriate the dual core chips from Freescale will be for Apple's notebooks.

The 7448 I could believe, especially as a backup plan for a prospective Powerbook G5. But I think all signs are saying this dual-core G4 from Freescale is a competitive product for PMC-Sierra and Broadcom dual-core processors, and will not be suitable for personal computers.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I beg to differ. IBM sent apple samples of its dual core G5 prototype back in August. Freescale is only showing a prototype of there dual core G4. Which won't be in production intill May or June. IBM will start(if no problems) production in January. Which will make IBM to have the first dual core PowerPC. The hands are in IBM's favor because The POWER4(which the PPC 970 is based off)is dual core already. Which will give knowledge of what could go wrong and prevent it with the PPC 970MP.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/antares.html
  • Reply 26 of 68
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Which is exactly why they *aren't* vapourware.

Christ, has anyone been paying attention:

Freescale April announcement and roadmap.

Why not pay more attention and speak of what you know.......
  • Reply 27 of 68
    So Motorola stating that they were working on next-generations PowerPC-processors less than six months ago and of which we have seen no result yet, makes them vaporware? Gimme a break!
  • Reply 28 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

So Motorola stating that they were working on next-generations PowerPC-processors less than six months ago and of which we have seen no result yet, makes them vaporware? Gimme a break!

Yes, that makes them vaporware. Moto announced working on the next gen G4(7448?). Knowing Moto it is not even close of being complete. Then the G5 pbook will be here and will have to be faster then 2 Ghz since the 7448 might be clocked around 2 Ghz. We do not want to have the switchers saying the G4 is faster and buying an ibook.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Here's my rule of thumb on the PowerBook...

Apple announces quarterly earnings on September 30th. The cram and jam promo ends September 25th. At present the PowerBook is about two weeks shy of the average number of days between updates. I think it's easy to put the pieces together. One place to watch for signs of a pending update is the inventory of resellers and the Apple Store at powerbookcentral.com.

Now if Apple doesn't release a new PowerBook by the first week of November, then it's safe to say something big is coming for MacWorld in January. Given Apple's public comments about squeezing a G5 chip into the PowerBooks, they make it sound unlikely that it is coming even by mid-2005.

I would say if the PowerBook gets delayed into January, it's likely due to a new enclosure with new features. I don't think a dual-core G4 is coming at all. Some of the features we could expect would be better displays, better graphics, and of course, faster processors. G5? I lean towards no...but I'd like to be wrong

I'm thinking the next PowerBook will have a 1.8GHz PowerPC 7448 (G4). Radeon Mobile 9800, and a faster optical drive for DVD burning. I think these things are a given. What else may lie in store is anyone's guess at the moment. Needless to say there hasn't really been a murmur relative to a PowerBook revision.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    I think the above post is a good wrap-up what one can expect from Apple regarding the powerbook. the only thing i could add to it is that there can be a significant lag between Aple's announcment and shipping product in volume. If you have your fingure on the BUY button while watching the Stevenote, expect tow wait a few weeks at least. If you come in a ciouple of weeks later to buy a new product it could be much longer. The point is that if you buy now you could be working on your Powerbook for the next 6-12 months while everyone is waiting on the next great thing.

Standard law of buying electronics: Buy when you need.

If you don't need it now, or your going on vacation, or your current stuff will keep you going, then you may as well wait.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Standard law of buying electronics: Buy when you need.

Sums it up there nicely. Buying Apple products is strange because new ones are not released on a schedule, at least not apparently. The best thing to do is listen to the ground, hear what all the kooks are yammering on about.

If you need it now then go for it, else sit and wait. Thats how its been for Apple users for a while. The PB 1.5GHz is a VERY capable machine, ready to handle anything Tiger (Mac OS X v10.4) has to throw at it and then some. If you were buying an 800MHz iBook G3 Special at Mac Mall that is one thing, but you won't have a problem with a top-o-the-line PBG4.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

IBM sent apple samples of its dual core G5 prototype back in August. Freescale is only showing a prototype of there dual core G4. Which won't be in production intill May or June. IBM will start(if no problems) production in January. Which will make IBM to have the first dual core PowerPC. The hands are in IBM's favor because The POWER4(which the PPC 970 is based off)is dual core already. Which will give knowledge of what could go wrong and prevent it with the PPC 970MP.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/antares.html

Freescale are going to show their dual core prototype, with production indeed around May or June next year. But IBM is not going to show nothing new in the PowerPC front, for the time being. The reference for Freescale is from real processor forum where official presentations are given, while the reference for what IBM do is from a... rumor site. Although with Think Secret you never know, you cannot put in the same league rumors and official announcements from the Microprocessor Forum.

I agree that IBM has a significant advance in dual core high performance processor designs, compared to the competitors, but there is no official word about dual core designs from them, that would be of interest for the Macintosh. If they had something as important as a dual core PowerPC chip, this would be the subject of an announcement in this Microprocessor Forum. However, it is Freescale that claim officially now the first dual core PowerPC processor. The only thing I find puzzling, is what already THT pointed out: the "Driving System Performance-A New Paradigm" presentation from IBM. Guess we will have to wait a little more to find out.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Freescale are going to show their dual core prototype, with production indeed around May or June next year. But IBM is not going to show nothing new in the PowerPC front, for the time being. The reference for Freescale is from real processor forum where official presentations are given, while the reference for what IBM do is from a... rumor site. Although with Think Secret you never know, you cannot put in the same league rumors and official announcements from the Microprocessor Forum.

I agree that IBM has a significant advance in dual core high performance processor designs, compared to the competitors, but there is no official word about dual core designs from them, that would be of interest for the Macintosh. If they had something as important as a dual core PowerPC chip, this would be the subject of an announcement in this Microprocessor Forum. However, it is Freescale that claim officially now the first dual core PowerPC processor. The only thing I find puzzling, is what already THT pointed out: the "Driving System Performance-A New Paradigm" presentation from IBM. Guess we will have to wait a little more to find out.

You count it as when it is announced and shown. So by your view yes, freescale will be the first to produce a dual core PowerPC. I count it as the product begins to ship. So in my view, IBM will be the first.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

I count it as the product begins to ship. So in my view, IBM will be the first.

You know, I would be glad to see IBM come first and produce high performance dual core PowerPC's for the Power Mac. And I would like to see this happen from the next Power Mac update (January-March 2005). Only I have no much faith anymore, especially after the big issues IBM faced this year in processor production.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You know, I would be glad to see IBM come first and produce high performance dual core PowerPC's for the Power Mac. And I would like to see this happen from the next Power Mac update (January-March 2005). Only I have no much faith anymore, especially after the big issues IBM faced this year in processor production.

Oh come on. You re judging the future of the G5/IBM with one problem. Moto had alot of problems and you still support the G4. Actually I shouldn't blame the G4 since it wasn't its fault. It was Moto's. I have no faith at all with Moto. They could only increase the FSB by 67 Mhz in 5 years of the G4's existence. Freescale's dual core better have a much better FSB(300 Mhz). Year after year after year, Moto said they would have a 2 Ghz G4 out. Well, do we? No. The 90nm problem was not IBM fault. If Moto attempts 90nm we will see a major crisis. Once IBM gets there act together and fixes the bugs of the 90nm we will see glory and not let Intel or AMD get in our way. Hopefully this problem will make IBM cautious when moving to 65nm sometime next year. I say IBM will be the main PPC maker for a long time. I mean a long time.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    As you can see by the chaos this thread contains, the salient advice is to buy what you need when you need it.

If you wind up with insatiable lust for the PowerBook G5 when it does come out, take heart: Apple computers hold their value in a way that Windows PCs don't, so if you just have to sell your G4 to get a G5, you'll get a good price.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What I find refreshing is that this venue and others still have a great deal of interesting high performance chips that have nothing to do with the PPC/Intel worlds. The industry may not be as hot as it was a few years ago but it is nice to see that it isn't dead.

As to the dual core chip I do hope that they get it right. That is that they deliver a chip that can be implemented by Aple without delays due to oddities that Motorola has been promoting. In other words I do hope that Hypertransport is in the equation someplace.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

• Reply 38 of 68
    The next model of PowerBook will likely have a G4 processor. It may be a 7447 or a rumored 7448 part. Regardless, the current 7447 in the PowerBook gets pretty warm. I know, because mine is getting quite warm as I type this. Given this, here's an interesting thought... I wonder if Apple will incorporate liquid cooling into it Ã* la Power Mac G5 2.5GHz? They'll have do something. I think they're on the edge with the G4 heat in the PowerBook as it is. They probably have been working on something. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The next model of PowerBook will likely have a G4 processor. It may be a 7447 or a rumored 7448 part. Regardless, the current 7447 in the PowerBook gets pretty warm. I know, because mine is getting quite warm as I type this. Given this, here's an interesting thought... I wonder if Apple will incorporate liquid cooling into it Ã* la Power Mac G5 2.5GHz? They'll have do something. I think they're on the edge with the G4 heat in the PowerBook as it is. They probably have been working on something. Any thoughts?

I doubt that. With AMD now having a mobile 64 bit processor and at 90nm, apple will push for a G5 pbook. I do not care if they have to make the whole Mac and ipod division to work on it and temporally end all development of all other products. They will get a 64 bit processor in the pbook. I also do not care if they have to kill or cripple the 12" pbook. If the next pbook rev is G4 it better have a better FSB. Not 33 Mhz. But, to 250-300 Mhz.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:

With AMD now having a mobile 64 bit processor and at 90nm, apple will push for a G5 pbook.

64 bit laptops is not a new thing. VoodooPC and eMachines systems are powered by Athlons64 for almost a year. There are other 64 bit notebooks for quite some time now, like Tadpole's SPARCLE and SPARCbook, with some impressive specifications (like 160 GB storage and 4 GB ECC RAM). 64 bit notebooks is an old affair and I don't think it sets a pressure per se at Apple. Apple needs to find some other marketing point in a Powerbook G5. 64 bit plus something else, like they did in the case of the iMac G5.