Apple unveils faster iBook with built-in wireless networking

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Nice update.... excellent prices.

Quote:

Apple Unveils Fastest, Most Affordable iBook G4 Ever

Tuesday October 19, 8:30 am ET

iBook Now With Built-in Wireless Networking Starts at Just $999

CUPERTINO, Calif., Oct. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today unveiled the fastest, most affordable iBook® G4 ever for consumers and education customers, featuring built-in AirPort® Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking across the line and prices starting at just $999. The iBook line includes PowerPC G4 processors running up to 1.33 GHz and an available slot-load SuperDrive(TM) for burning DVDs, as well as Apple's breakthrough iLife® '04 suite for managing digital music and photos, making movies and music and creating professional-quality DVDs.

"Designed for the digital life on the go, the iBook G4 has been incredibly popular with consumers and students," said David Moody, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. "With prices starting at just $999, including AirPort Extreme wireless networking built-in and faster PowerPC G4 processors, the new iBooks are a great deal for every student, home user and small business owner."

Encased in a sleek, durable polycarbonate plastic enclosure, the new 12- and 14-inch iBooks offer improved performance with either a 1.2 GHz or 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Providing up to six hours of battery life for all-day use on the road or in the classroom,* the iBook lineup offers AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking in every model and an optional internal Bluetooth module for wirelessly connecting peripherals such as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse.** All iBook G4 models also offer a full complement of I/O ports including FireWire® 400, USB 2.0, a built-in 56K v.92 modem and Ethernet (10/100BASE-T) for connectivity to a wide range of peripherals such as speakers, MIDI keyboards and iPod®.

Providing world class graphics capabilities, each iBook G4 offers ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics with 32MB of dedicated DDR memory and AGP 4X support for gaming and watching DVDs, as well as VGA video out for easy mirroring to projection systems and external displays. The new iBook G4 also includes either a slot-load SuperDrive, for burning both DVDs and CDs, or a slot-load combo drive capable of burning and playing CDs and watching DVDs.

Every new iBook G4 also includes iLife '04, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications including iTunes® for managing digital music, iPhoto(TM) for organizing and sharing digital photos, iMovie® for digital movie making, iDVD® for creating and burning Hollywood-style DVDs and GarageBand(TM), the revolutionary music application that turns a Mac® into a professional-quality musical instrument and recording studio. iBook G4 also comes with a collection of productivity and entertainment titles including AppleWorks®, Mac OS® X Mail, Quicken 2005 for Mac, WorldBook Encyclopedia 2004 Edition, Marble Blast Gold and Nanosaur 2.

The iBook G4 comes with Apple's latest operating system pre-installed. Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther" delivers more than 150 breakthrough features including iChat AV, an easy to use personal video conferencing solution; FileVault, which uses the latest security standards and 128-bit encryption technology to ensure that data in the home directory is kept secure; Exposi(TM), a revolutionary new way to instantly access any open window; Instant On, which wakes the iBook from sleep in just one second; Apple Setup Assistant, a migration tool that allows Mac users to quickly and easily transfer files, applications, and preferences from one Macintosh® to another; and Automatic Networking, which automatically switches the network connections between Ethernet, 802.11 and modem. With enhanced Windows compatibility, files, printers and network services can easily be shared with Windows users.

Pricing & Availability

The new iBook lineup is immediately available through The Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers in three standard configurations.

The 1.2 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 4.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $999 (US) and includes:

-- a crisp 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

-- 256MB DDR SDRAM expandable to up to 1.25GB maximum memory;

-- a 30GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

-- AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking;

-- two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400;

-- VGA video out, S-video and composite video out support;

-- Ethernet (10/100BASE-T); and

-- a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive.

The 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US) and includes:

-- a crisp 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

-- a 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

-- a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive.

The 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US) and includes:

-- a brilliant 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

-- a 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

-- a slot-load SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) drive.

Additional build-to-order options for the new iBook G4 include up to 1.25GB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB or 80GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, internal Bluetooth module, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express(TM) Base Stations and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Actual speed will vary based on range from the base station, environmental conditions and other factors. Actual weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.

Battery life depends on configuration and use.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iBook, AirPort, SuperDrive, iLife, FireWire, iPod, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand, Apple Works, Expose, AirPort Express and Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Source: Apple Computer, Inc.

More:

http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Yes this is a very nice update! It makes the iBooks even more affordable. Not only lowering prices but at the same time removing the need to spend additional money adding Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

Yes this is a very nice update! It makes the iBooks even more affordable. Not only lowering prices but at the same time removing the need to spend additional money adding Airport Extreme.

Yup, I agree completely. As a University student, the 12" iBook just became even more attractive, here's a quick comparison (educational pricing):

Before update: 12" iBook - $1350 CND, Airport Extreme - $100, Airport Express Base Station - $170, total = $1620 CND

After update: 12" iBook - $1250 CND, Airport Extreme - included, Airport Express Base Station - $170, total = $1420 CND

A slightly better video card would have been nice, but overall I'm a happy guy, just need to scrape a bit more money together, and then I'm buying one.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Mac users can now own a shiny new iBook G4 with built-in wireless networking for under a thousand dollars.

As expected, Apple Computer on Tuesday unveiled a faster, more affordable iBook G4 product line, featuring built-in AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking across the line and prices starting at $999.

Encased in a sleek, durable polycarbonate plastic enclosure, the new 12- and 14-inch iBooks offer improved performance with either a 1.2 GHz or 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 processor. Providing up to six hours of battery life, the iBook lineup offers AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking in every model and an optional internal Bluetooth module for wirelessly connecting peripherals such as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse. All iBook G4 models also offer a full complement of I/O ports including FireWire 400, USB 2.0, a built-in 56K v.92 modem and Ethernet (10/100BASE-T) for connectivity to a wide range of peripherals such as speakers, MIDI keyboards and iPod.

Each iBook G4 offers ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics with 32MB of dedicated DDR memory and AGP 4X support for gaming and watching DVDs, as well as VGA video out for easy mirroring to projection systems and external displays. The new iBook G4 also includes either a slot-load SuperDrive, for burning both DVDs and CDs, or a slot-load combodrive capable of burning and playing CDs and watching DVDs.

Every iBook G4 comes with Apple?s latest operating system--Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther"-- pre-installed. The laptops also include iLfe '04, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Mail, Quicken 2005 for Mac, WorldBook Encyclopedia 2004 Edition, Marble Blast Gold and Nanosaur 2.

Pricing & Availability

The new iBook lineup is immediately available through the company's online store, retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers in three standard configurations.

The 1.2 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 4.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $999 (US) and includes:

a crisp 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

256MB DDR SDRAM expandable to up to 1.25GB maximum memory;

a 30GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g wireless networking;

two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400;

VGA video out, S-video and composite video out support;

Ethernet (10/100BASE-T); and

a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive.

The 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US) and includes:

a crisp 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

a 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive.

The 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 iBook, weighing just 5.9 pounds, has a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US) and includes:

a brilliant 14.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix TFT display;

a 60GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

a slot-load SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) drive.

Additional build-to-order options for the new iBook G4 include up to 1.25GB of DDR SDRAM, a 60GB or 80GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, internal Bluetooth module, AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base Stations and the AppleCare Protection Plan.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    It is too bad they don't have a core image/video ready card, although I doubt that will keep anyone but the geeky away.

The built in airport extreme card was a must, as I've noticed that basically all but the super cheap PC laptops have moved in that direction.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    From Apples press release:

Quote:

Providing world class graphics capabilities, each iBook G4 offers ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics with 32MB of dedicated DDR memory and AGP 4X support for gaming and watching DVDs...

Well, I do understand that the Macs/the iBooks' focus isn't on gaming. But it's simply ridiculous to describe a ATI 9200 as being "world class"...
  • Reply 6 of 68
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Soooooo

why even buy a PB 12? or even the 15 sounds like an upgrade of the PB is in the wings. Hmmmmmm
  • Reply 7 of 68
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

It is too bad they don't have a core image/video ready card, although I doubt that will keep anyone but the geeky away.

That would mean that Tiger is not going to be released before May-June 2005. This will give enough time for another iBook update with a Geforce 5200.

Also, the iBooks now push hard the Powerbooks from the back. The performance difference, with the exception of the graphics chip, must be rather minimal .
  • Reply 8 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

That would mean that Tiger is not going to be released before May-June 2005. This will give enough time for another iBook update with a Geforce 5200.

Also, the iBooks now push hard the Powerbooks from the back. The performance difference, with the exception of the graphics chip, must be rather minimal .

Not necessarily. THis machine doesn't qualify to run Motion with suggested performance levels, but it still got released.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Not necessarily. THis machine doesn't qualify to run Motion with suggested performance levels, but it still got released.

Umm consumer notebook and PRO product.... i really have no issue with it. If you are using Motion you probably should have a more powerful machine anyways.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

honestly. how many people that buy iBooks give a shit about Core Image? The whole point of this last update was to provide more people a chance to own a Mac, not be video professionals.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

Soooooo

why even buy a PB 12? or even the 15 sounds like an upgrade of the PB is in the wings. Hmmmmmm

Yeah I would agree especially as I've had my PB 12 for what must be a month now, so I would bet on an upgrade soon!
  • Reply 12 of 68
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

From Apples press release:

Well, I do understand that the Macs/the iBooks' focus isn't on gaming. But it's simply ridiculous to describe a ATI 9200 as being "world class"...

It is compared to the "integrated graphics" in every other sub $1000 laptop out there
  • Reply 13 of 68
    These are the exact same ibooks that are out now the ONLY difference is that they give you the airport card for free ($79) value and clocked up the process 200mhz on the ibook 12'.

If you have a 1ghz iBook '12 2004, just so you know they are just underclocked. They all should run safely at 1.2ghz ;-) I hope to make the simple "up" clocking steps available to everyone soon.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

honestly. how many people that buy iBooks give a shit about Core Image? The whole point of this last update was to provide more people a chance to own a Mac, not be video professionals.

iMac owners are not necessarily video professionals either. The Geforce 5200 though of these machines provides at least a minimal support for all the technologies that Tiger will bring forth.

I am afraid that supporting Core Image has little to do with the consumer/professional distinction. Core Image/Video are APIs. They are going to be integral parts of the next Mac OS X iteration. They are going to be used in software development. It does not make sense, for a hardware company that produces the OS, to sell machines not supporting such APIs by the time of their release. I believe the iBooks will be updated once more before Tiger hits the market, or a little later. Which translates to a May-June release for Tiger. No surprise here.

It seems to me that the reason to leave the iBooks with the Radeon 9200 is that the Geforce 5200 is already in the Powerbook 12".
  • Reply 15 of 68
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Not much of an upgrade, but price/performance is better than the old model's, which was already very good. Considering how misery Apple is with both price and specs on every desktop, iBook is the best "switch" advertisement.

They could quit crippling the video spanning feature though. Every other laptop has it, even the cheapest ones. This is especially annoying as iBook's screen size and quality are not exactly stunning. If I bought one I'd want to attach it to an external monitor for sure.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    The Radeon 9200 in the iBook makes me think we might not see a Powerbook update before the end of the year. The GeForce 5200 in the 12" Powerbook may be there to be more appealing the the "pro" who needs 64 MB instead of 32 MB.

I would agree that without a CoreImage compliant video card that the iBooks will be updated again before we see Tiger. Probably a GeForce 5200 after the Powerbooks move to something higher. I don't think it would necessarily have to be as late as May/June, though. It could be as early as late March. The iBook was updated exactly 6 months from its last update, so April is a real possibility for another iBook update and it would be preloaded with Tiger then.

I think that the specs on the iBook lead me to (unfortunately) believe that we won't see another Powerbook update for some time. That's too bad, because I really need a PB by the start of next year. I'm still hoping, like a Red Sox fan, that the impossible or the unlikely will become reality. We'll see...
  • Reply 17 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

Umm consumer notebook and PRO product.... i really have no issue with it. If you are using Motion you probably should have a more powerful machine anyways.

It's not the point.

The point is Apple does release hardware products that do not comply with the suggested minimum requirements of all it's available software.

They released OS X, and a lot of Mac's were not up to speed that were still fairly new at the time.

It does not mean that iBooks have to be updated again before Tiger comes out. If it's ready, SJ will throw it out there updated iBooks, or not IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    I believe this may be the last of the current iBooks. Next up will be a new form factor and ????? I'm thinking next Spring.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's not the point.

The point is Apple does release hardware products that do not comply with the suggested minimum requirements of all it's available software.

They released OS X, and a lot of Mac's were not up to speed that were still fairly new at the time.

But when Apple released Mac OS X they were still booting their machines with Mac OS 9 primarily, which ran excellent on those almost new machines.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Also, as many have pointed out, the CoreImage/CoreVideo-technology would serve the iApps well. And the iBooks are targeted at just that crowd.

Refresh my memory, had Apple's entire lineup gone G4 or better by the time GarageBand was released? I'm thinking yes, and for a reason...