SuperDrive 1 GHz PowerBooks

Comments

• Reply 161 of 192
    [quote]Originally posted by Eldios:

<strong>Hey guys,

I just went to the apple store in Somerset Mall, Michigan to look at the new powerbooks. Anyway, I asked the guy about the heat as well as the paint issue. Regarding the heat, he said that because Ti conducts heat well it will get a bit warm(I took that as meaning it will be the same). However, he did say that the new PB will use different paint that is supposed to be tougher and not chip off. This is great news as I am going to order my new PB within the week!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Could well be. Powerpage is reporting the same thing --

<a href="http://powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10175"; target="_blank">O'Grady's PowerPage</a>

This would be HUGE -- reason enough to finally go Ti, as this was the main thing keeping me away from the machines...

Let's see what happens as user reports come in.
  • Reply 162 of 192
    The text:

[quote] The PowerPage has learned that Apple has updated the painting process on the new PowerBook G4 to eliminate the paint delamination and bubbling problems that we have discussed here at length.

Some users are being told by Apple repair shops, "it's cosmetic, we won't cover it" or... "it's your fault... due to abuse."

A PowerPage contact at Apple says that the engineering department has pinpointed the flaw in the painting process that enables the paint delamination. Apparently there's an internal posting that effectively moves the bubbling paint issue from an engineering-level problem to a support-level issue. This means that there are replacement parts available that have the new paint process and that Apple will repair the defect at the customer support level.

If you are having this problem and your PowerBook G4 is still under warranty take it to your local Apple authorized dealer and tell them that your PowerBook's paint is bubbling/cracking/flaking and that you are interested in having it repaired under warranty.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 163 of 192
    yeah I went to the Clarendon Apple Store last night. They had both the new 867s and the old 800s, and I could seriously feel the difference in the paint. The new ones were more course, a little rougher. Not a bad feeling though...

And then I bought a five pack of DVD-Rs so that I wouldn't call Apple up and have them change my machine to the combo model so that I'd have it sooner. (well the logic worked for me at the time )

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: off/lang ]</p>
  • Reply 164 of 192
    Buying DVD-R's to avoid making the switch, damn that is beautiful. Technolust at its finest!

-Chris
  • Reply 165 of 192
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong>

Thanks for that tip. Really helps. Matsushita is a fine company, but Pioneer is truly tops in this area. :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

How is Pioneer tops? Sony not only beat them to 4x/2x DVD-R/W, but they also offer that in combination with DVD+R/W support.

You'd think the primary company involved with developing the technology would be the first with new goodies.
  • Reply 166 of 192
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

How is Pioneer tops? Sony not only beat them to 4x/2x DVD-R/W, but they also offer that in combination with DVD+R/W support.

You'd think the primary company involved with developing the technology would be the first with new goodies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You won't see DVD+RW support from Pioneer.
  • Reply 167 of 192
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote] This means that there are replacement parts available that have the new paint process and that Apple will repair the defect at the customer support level.<hr></blockquote>

I wonder if these parts mean a whole new frame? I recall seeing some pretty bad flaking on some previous posts.

I'm glad many early purchasers of previous model Powerbooks (those still under warranty) will finally get some relief. They deserve it.
  • Reply 168 of 192
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

You won't see DVD+RW support from Pioneer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course not, but that just means Sony has a leg-up.
  • Reply 169 of 192
    A friend of mine is getting one...I'm soooooo jealous!
  • Reply 170 of 192
    Is it me, or does it look like the new PowerBooks no longer have translucent keyboards? They look solid in color in the Apple PR pics. Is this a known change? Or perhaps something that changed in the past that I didn't notice?

<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/pbg4/0211pbg4.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/pbg4/0211pbg4.html</a>;

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 171 of 192
    Where's $2999 when you need it *drools*....
  • Reply 172 of 192
    [quote]Originally posted by Patchouli:

[QB]Is it me, or does it look like the new PowerBooks no longer have translucent keyboards? They look solid in color in the Apple PR pics. Is this a known change? Or perhaps something that changed in the past that I didn't notice?

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I think Apple's PR images are actually computer generated, so I think it's more of just an oversight in rendering.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: btober ]</p>
  • Reply 173 of 192
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by btober:

<strong>

I think Apple's PR images are actually computer generated, so I think it's more of just an oversight in rendering.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: btober ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

that photo is not computer generated
  • Reply 174 of 192
    [quote] Originally posted by btober:

that photo is not computer generated

<hr></blockquote>

I think it is computer generated, just my thought. Look at the keys, it's just too good to be real.

Anyway, do the powerbook keys light up with some sort of backlight or leds?
  • Reply 175 of 192
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My TiBook keyboard looks like that picture. When you look straight down at it, it looks semi-transparent, but when you look from that angle, it looks opaque.
  • Reply 176 of 192
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

that photo is not computer generated</strong><hr></blockquote>

They're certainly retouched a hell of a lot though. Remember when the newer flat-panel monitors came out? The images of the new models looked quite different from the old ones, The stripes were much smaller on some...

• Reply 177 of 192

<strong>Is it me, or does it look like the new PowerBooks no longer have translucent keyboards? They look solid in color in the Apple PR pics. Is this a known change? Or perhaps something that changed in the past that I didn't notice?</strong><hr></blockquote>Could someone verify the validity of this statement? Every damn day it's something else that has changed after I ordered. Translucent good, solid bad.

-Chris
  • Reply 178 of 192
    Just as a followup, the keyboard hasn't changed at all, except that it is recessed to avoid contact with the screen. This is from Jay in macnn.com, he has had a new Powerbook 1ghz for a couple weeks, or so I've heard.

-Chris
  • Reply 179 of 192

<hr></blockquote>

To my untrained eye that looks computer generated. Buzz Lightyear and Woody would be right at home in that pic. Definitely a Pixar look.
  • Reply 180 of 192
    no, their product photos are not computer generated. i know this because i have had friends who have worked on their advertising account. i don't think the average person realizes how much time and effort goes into product photography. they can very easily make things look perfect and otherworldly (combined with retouching). that's why they use such good photographers. i once spent 9 hours overseeing a shoot for one shot of a hamburger. trust me, it's more meticulous and detail-oriented than you could believe would be reasonable.