Human common descent ancestor discovered

Comments

• Reply 321 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

from the NIV

"So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks."

????????????????? great plan!

Tell me, were Kangaroos on the ark?

What, I am supposing that you expected blueprints in the bible? The ancient hebrews were scholars, not draftsmen. Assuming God did give detailed instructions to Noah, why bother recording all the minutie? As it is, the bible account is the most specific of all the flood accounts. Most just say "a boat" or "a raft", although I do believe one says "a cube."

Also, you are forgetting that Noah was already very old when he was told to build the ark. Do you have any idea how much knowledge one could amass if the lived to, say, even 200 years? As it is now, we barely get an education, squeeze in maybe twenty-thirty years of work, and then we either go senile or die. Noah was a very smart guy.
  • Reply 322 of 378
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benzene

What, I am supposing that you expected blueprints in the bible? The ancient hebrews were scholars, not draftsmen. Assuming God did give detailed instructions to Noah, why bother recording all the minutie? As it is, the bible account is the most specific of all the flood accounts. Most just say "a boat" or "a raft", although I do believe one says "a cube."

well, actually, I was just wondering why Frank claims I hadn't read the Biblical instructions for the ark. Gee it took me about 20 seconds to read it.

Quote:

Also, you are forgetting that Noah was already very old when he was told to build the ark. Do you have any idea how much knowledge one could amass if the lived to, say, even 200 years? As it is now, we barely get an education, squeeze in maybe twenty-thirty years of work, and then we either go senile or die. Noah was a very smart guy.

Oh yeah, a guy built the ark just before his 600'th Birthday, I wonder if he based the structure on him zimmer frame? or coffin?
  • Reply 323 of 378
  • Reply 324 of 378
  • Reply 325 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Genesis 7:2-3): "You shall take with you of every clean animal by SEVENS, a male and his female; and of the animals that are not clean two, a male and his female; 3also of the birds of the sky, by sevens, male and female, to keep offspring alive on the face of all the earth."

And that doesn't count the food supply. Hey, maybe that's what happened to the Dinosaurs....Shem got bored and started....uhh....never mind....

I just realized that it's 2 'unclean' animals (1 Male/1 Female) and 14 'clean' animals (7 Male/7 Female).

Crazy! It's like someone just made up an allegorical story and was picking numbers out of the air to pad it out.

Why would they want 7 male and 7 female of a 'clean' species of animal? Was there some knowledge of natural selection and that a bigger gene pool was better? Was Noah an unwitting pawn in Darwins theories?

• Reply 326 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I just realized that it's 2 'unclean' animals (1 Male/1 Female) and 14 'clean' animals (7 Male/7 Female).

Crazy! It's like someone just made up an allegorical story and was picking numbers out of the air to pad it out.

Why would they want 7 male and 7 female of a 'clean' species of animal? Was there some knowledge of natural selection and that a bigger gene pool was better? Was Noah an unwitting pawn in Darwins theories?

The clean and unclean beasts are listed in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, I don't know if thats and exhaustive list? Seg?

No Kangaroos there. I wonder why?
  • Reply 327 of 378
    "The fantastic stories about these men living over nine hundred years and not getting around to fathering their children until they had lived a century or two, are the result of an ancient mistranslation of the original numbers. Except for Noah, each young man fathered his first son during his late teens or early twenties, just as young men do today, and they lived into their seventies or early eighties. Noah lived to be 83 years old and Methuselah lived to be 85. The river flood of 2900 BC occurred when Noah was 48 years old and he had been king for ten years.

Nearly all modern translations of Genesis are derived from the Masoretic (Hebrew) Text, because it is generally the most reliable. But there are also two other versions of Genesis: the Samaritan (in an early Hebrew script) and the Septuagint (a Greek translation of an early Hebrew text). The Septuagint numbers were closer to the original numbers, because when scholars translated the Hebrew Pentateuch (which includes Genesis) into Greek at Alexandria, Egypt about 280 BC, they used a Hebrew text that was edited in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. This text was centuries older than the proto-Masoretic Text selected as the official text by the Masoretes after 70 CE, a text that was already corrupted by scribes trying to correct what they thought were errors".
  • Reply 328 of 378
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Actually, this is the first post Marc's ever made that I have found to be really, truly, funny.
  • Reply 329 of 378
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Exactly.

Btw, have you seen this ?.

Apparently SAT test questions are focussing on Creationism now.

I absolutely refuse to believe this story is true. First, no science class teaches creationism rather than evolution. That would be unconstitutional. Second, I just don't believe they'd change the SAT to ask questions about the Bible. I just don't believe it.

[edit] err, I believe that's a parody site.
  • Reply 330 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I absolutely refuse to believe this story is true. First, no science class teaches creationism rather than evolution. That would be unconstitutional. Second, I just don't believe they'd change the SAT to ask questions about the Bible. I just don't believe it.

Actually, they don't ask knowledge questions at all on the SAT (except perhaps vocab and math)...
  • Reply 331 of 378
    Quote:

Exactly.

You're just trying to give me a hernia? "Hello, morons, it is obviously a joke"

Very fucking sad if True, but I guess it means Europe will become the dominant nation if America continues it's decline into a theocracy.

Anyway, its time to get ready to do some "Sexual Selection" of my own, of the entirely 'natural law kind' (NaplesX), so I must go now. "Hello Bitches, here I come.."
  • Reply 332 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Actually, this is the first post Marc's ever made that I have found to be really, truly, funny.

You shouldn't laugh at a joke a "tool of Satan" has made...
  • Reply 333 of 378
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

And that's before the Church started tampering with it.

You seem convinced that the Bible has been tampered with. Could you provide some documentation on this?
  • Reply 334 of 378
    Quote:

Exactly.

Apparently SAT test questions are focussing on Creationism now.

That can not be true. I agree with a good number of the posters at that site that that has to be satire/joke.
  • Reply 335 of 378
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
  • Reply 336 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

You seem convinced that the Bible has been tampered with. Could you provide some documentation on this?

prepare to be shredded to hell.
  • Reply 337 of 378
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

prepare to be shredded to hell.

I doubt it, the Church is fairly self-conscious about these sorts of things.

(unless we're talking about material from a Dan Brown novel)
  • Reply 338 of 378
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This should be fun...
  • Reply 339 of 378
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

I doubt it, the Church is fairly self-conscious about these sorts of things.

(unless we're talking about material from a Dan Brown novel)

So they hide the evidence?

For over 1400 years (1900 really) the church held dominance on literacy. Who the fuck knows what the new testament said in 600 AD versus 1000 AD?
  • Reply 340 of 378
    Not too long ago a certain church was hiding that a lot of priests had been very bad boys with the young boys. The church can be good at hiding things.

Sorry couldn't resist the easy smear. I agree this has nothing to do with evoultion or who is wrong or right about how we got here.