Toshiba to supply Apple with flash memory?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to one report, Toshiba may have signed on as a supplier of flash memory for Apple Computer's forthcoming flash-based music player.

Toshiba Corp, Japan's second largest chipmaker, will soon supply flash memory to Apple Computer, according Yasuo Morimoto, senior executive vice-president at Toshiba.

The report, which appeared in China Daily, claims that Toshiba will begin selling the flash memory to Apple in early 2005, presumably for use in the company's upcoming flash-based iPod.

Toshiba is also the supplier of hard drives for Apple's white iPods, which have sold between 4 and 6 million units to date.

The reliability of this most recent report is unknown, and AppleInsider's own sources have previously reported that Apple will begin manufacturing the iPod flash this month in preparation of an early January introduction. World-wide availability of the iPod flash is reportedly scheduled for February.

If at all accurate, Morimoto's comments are likely to irritate Apple, which has a long standing tradition of closely guarding its O.E.M. contracts, especially those pertaining to unreleased products. But this won't be the first time Toshiba has blown Apple's cover.

Earlier this year, the two companies entered into a tiff after Toshiba publicly stated it had signed a contract to supply Apple with 60GB hard drives for an unannounced high-end iPod. Miffed by the move, Apple denounced the report and did not ship an iPod with a 60GB drive until about 4 months later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I believe flash iPods are coming and that it's a smart move. Apple is the market leader and they should have devices at every level.

I have the iTunes songs now give me devices to play them on.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I believe flash iPods are coming and that it's a smart move. Apple is the market leader and they should have devices at every level.

I have the iTunes songs now give me devices to play them on.

I counter with this:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/12/flash_gordon
  • Reply 3 of 25
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Might flash memory be more of a possibility in a future "iPhone" from Apple/Motorola?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    meromero Posts: 27member
    "Earlier this year, the two companies entered into a tiff after Toshiba publicly stated it had signed a contract to supply Apple with 60GB hard drives for an unannounced high-end iPod. Miffed by the move, Apple denounced the report and did not ship an iPod with a 60GB drive until about 4 months later."

Apple had/has 60GB iPods? You should tell Apple about that, especially since they don't advertise/sell them anywhere.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

Apple had/has 60GB iPods? You should tell Apple about that, especially since they don't advertise/sell them anywhere.

what's with this then?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    oh my mistake. I guess I just never navigate to that part of the site because i'd never pay $600 for a 60GBHD/Mp3 player when I can spend $300 ($200 w/education) more and get a 60GBHD that runs Mac OS X. That way I can play music portably AND HEY it has extra features like oh...an entire operating system. Hey for only that much more I can watch music videos!

but seriously, wow, never payed attention to that. $600? And I thought $399 was over price. Mmm.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    That's it! No flash based iPod till Summer. Apple will make them pay for the slip up! Ofcourse the consumers will have to pay too, but Steve has to make his point, don't he?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

oh my mistake. I guess I just never navigate to that part of the site because i'd never pay $600 for a 60GBHD/Mp3 player when I can spend $300 ($200 w/education) more and get a 60GBHD that runs Mac OS X. That way I can play music portably AND HEY it has extra features like oh...an entire operating system. Hey for only that much more I can watch music videos!

but seriously, wow, never payed attention to that. $600? And I thought $399 was over price. Mmm.

OK, now go jogging with an eMac strapped to your arm.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

• Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by nmcphers

That's it! No flash based iPod till Summer. Apple will make them pay for the slip up! Ofcourse the consumers will have to pay too, but Steve has to make his point, don't he?

I do hope Apple has a clause in their contract that gets them money when one of these idiots can keep their mouth shut.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    There will undoubtedly be some sort of non-disclosure clause in all Apple's supply contracts (the penalties usually run into millions of $'s) so to break cover twice in a row seems very odd. Once could be a cock-up, twice seems deliberate. What the hell's going on? Chinese division trying to piss off Japanese head office, WTF?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    My mistake, it was actually a Japanese VP.... allegedly...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

It's not the eMac, it's the batteries that'll kill ya.

Hmmm.... MWSF -> iPWSF (iPodWorld San Francisco).

With little news on the CPU front, I think Steve will come out and crow about the amazing new iMac, Apple's apps, and then it's iTunes and iPods for over an hour. *sniff* \

- Jasen.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Iphone with flash memory.

my guess. Nobody is going to put the flash ipod on any front page. iphone with some or all smartphone pfeatures that makes cover art and geek envy.

Moto+Apple= wicked cool gadget. As long as battery life and size (Ives design) are within tolerable use specs.

Don't forget that the new ipod devision must come up with some new uses for the ipod and ipod OS. Color screen isn't worth a whole devision being created.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

It's not the eMac, it's the batteries that'll kill ya.

Hmmm.... MWSF -> iPWSF (iPodWorld San Francisco).

With little news on the CPU front, I think Steve will come out and crow about the amazing new iMac, Apple's apps, and then it's iTunes and iPods for over an hour. *sniff* \

- Jasen.

Yea, you'd need the eMac on one arm, and a car battery strapped to the other. But hey, at least the weight will be distributed evenly.

I certainly hope that MWSF contains more than iPod & Asteroid. Although asteroid might be the start of reduced firewire audio I/O pricing and that would be a good thing.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Actually, captain, I was reffering to the iBook. Thus the mention of "playing music portably, and having a 12" screen." Looks like i'm not the only one who's not completely up to date on Apples product line.

And it seems tonton didnt get it either. You'd be able to listen to music on a trian with an iBook. I've seen many people do it on the local bus system here, and I do it with my Powerbook. You'd also be able to do everything else a mac can do. Amazing.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Actually, captain, I was reffering to the iBook.

For $200? Tell me where and I'll fly over and grab a couple or more...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

For $200? Tell me where and I'll fly over and grab a couple or more...

Mero said for $200 more than an iPod Photo 60GB, not $200 total. $599 + $200 = $799. Heck you could pick up a refurb and get back change!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Mero said for $200 more than an iPod Photo 60GB, not $200 total. $599 + $200 = $799. Heck you could pick up a refurb and get back change!

My bad...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Fair enough...but he's also not counting the cost of that iBook (in terms of using it for music). If you are using it for other things as you listen to music...fine...but, onto iPod...

1. Don't have to boot it.

2. Can easily leave it in my bag while I listen.

3. Can listen while walking to/from bus/train.

4. Battery life is better.

And there are probably many more.