17" PB 1.67 GHZ, 1 GB ram

1.42 Mac mini, piece of crap monitor

1.25 eMac, piece of crap keyboard

3 mice, all crap.

Waiting for 23" iMac.
  • Reply 82 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

Hope these aren't too many. Sorry to the 56k users.

Sick, dude. I wish I had turntables, I love them. I have a friend who's practically producing in his spare time...He has all that stuff, his house is like a recording studio.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Got a pretty big buget for new machines (due to a very nice government project I am working on) but I plan to stick with my system for now (same old one since December 2003) since I don't think the current PM line is justified for the price tag.
  • Reply 84 of 135
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Got a pretty big buget for new machines (due to a very nice government project I am working on) but I plan to stick with my system for now (same old one since December 2003) since I don't think the current PM line is justified for the price tag.

You are not interested by the quad with a pro video card like the quadro ?

According to most benches, the quad G5 is really impressive.
  • Reply 85 of 135
    Problem is the apps I use don't take full advantage of the fancy video card.

Plus, I always have a feeling this PM line is the "dead end" product. Yes I can afford the Quad with tons of RAM but I don't want my money to be spent on something with extremely short life.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

Um, seems to me you blocked all the ventilation for that poor G5. Are you sure you aren't running into any heat problems. The drives get especially hot even with normal airflow.
  • Reply 87 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Um, seems to me you blocked all the ventilation for that poor G5. Are you sure you aren't running into any heat problems. The drives get especially hot even with normal airflow.

it's a temp setup i have going now. no heat problems so far. when you look at the picture of the room, you'll notice im sitting near a window. the floor is a little cooler than normal because im next to it (not a lot of insulation around the window), and you'll notice there's an open space under the desk to allow air to exit the machine and out from underneath the desk. i am also monitoring the CPU temps and the warmth within the area. it works just fine.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Problem is the apps I use don't take full advantage of the fancy video card.

Plus, I always have a feeling this PM line is the "dead end" product. Yes I can afford the Quad with tons of RAM but I don't want my money to be spent on something with extremely short life.

All computers have a very short life. The question is to buy only major updates, and not the minor ones. I consider that the quad is not a minor update, especially for people involved in 3 D creation.

Now if your dual 1,8 ghz is perfect for your need, you should keep it.
  • Reply 89 of 135
    My G5 isn't perfect but at least it works for now.

You never know, I maybe getting a new machine when you guys are totally unexpected
  • Reply 90 of 135
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    This is an older picture. It looks pretty much the same just with a different mess surrounding it.

• Reply 91 of 135
    Well, my monitor died months ago and I could never get it fixed. I've been using a temporary screen since then, but that died yesterday.

But MY NEW SCREEN ARRIVED TODAY!

It is a 22" Philips 202P7 running 2084x1536 @ 80Hz

The color gets a little red on the left side, but I'm nitpickey. Non-Photographers would never notice it so it is not a big deal.

Below the monitor I have a new Furman PM-8 Series II Power conditioner that reads AC voltage on the left and the current I am using on the right. OMG DAMN I can suck power! 3 amps in standby, 8 when I am encoding h.264! We are talking 900Watts!

Sweet 8)
  • Reply 92 of 135
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I can see the red color. Do you use a CRT screen because of color clarity?
  • Reply 93 of 135
    I like CRT because I do a lot of professional photo work and I calibrate my system to my tastes. I can get much more precise control over the color by tweaking each Red, Green, and Blur gun. LCD's are nice (and thin) but have a smaller gamut (range from complete black to total white) than CRT's. The price is also better since a professional LCD (they really do look nice and are comparable to CRT's) costs several thousands of dollars. I may be using old-school technology, but CRT's have evolved for the past 20 years and LCD's are realitivly the n00bs of the screen world.

EDIT: the diagonal red line at the bottom is actually a scan line that a quick camera shutter captured. That line doesn't appear on the screen. The red tint I talked about is on the first inch of the left side where Photoshop keeps its tools.
  • Reply 94 of 135
    I'm always amazed at the clarity with which cameras take quick pictures nowadays. Whenever I read articles about the military, I always think its really cool when you can see a helicopter's rotor as if it were standing still. Once I saw a picture where a tank had just fired a shell and you could see the shell 3 meters away from the canon with the smoke trail behind it. I was amazed. And now a consumer camera has enough speed to capture scan lines? Technology, I say, amazing.
  • Reply 95 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Well, my monitor died months ago and I could never get it fixed. I've been using a temporary screen since then, but that died yesterday.

But MY NEW SCREEN ARRIVED TODAY!

It is a 22" Philips 202P7 running 2084x1536 @ 80Hz

The color gets a little red on the left side, but I'm nitpickey. Non-Photographers would never notice it so it is not a big deal.

Below the monitor I have a new Furman PM-8 Series II Power conditioner that reads AC voltage on the left and the current I am using on the right. OMG DAMN I can suck power! 3 amps in standby, 8 when I am encoding h.264! We are talking 900Watts!

Sweet 8)

Could that red tint (not the scan line) be caused by interference (from magnets, nonsheilded speakers etc.)? I too have a crt at home and when I put the tiny computer speakers too close, I get distortion and discoloration around the edges.
  • Reply 96 of 135
    The speakers are magnetically shielded and I never noticed it before with my other monitors. It is sitting next to a 770 watt (max) amp however that is off. I know what you are thinking of because I used to take magnets to TV screens as a kid. (I was EVIL )

I just Degaussed it. That seamed to help a little. Thanks.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    A modest (or slightly less than modest) change of my setup is happening now
  • Reply 98 of 135
    -

I just couldn't resist posting these. I love it. It's gorgeous. Thank you santa
  • Reply 99 of 135
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    finally i made it to my dream setup. i started with the 12" and a samsung 172x nearly 2 years ago. now i bought the second 172x and a brand new QUAD :-)

dual screen, quad cpu - i can't believe it... just 2 days old now ;-)

• Reply 100 of 135
    Quote:

A modest (or slightly less than modest) change of my setup is happening now

Show us