Apple set to debut flash-based iPod, new PowerBook models

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Macworld Expo in San Francisco will play host to Apple's iPod flash player, and may also yield faster PowerBook models.

Apple Computer is poised to unveil its long-anticipated flash memory-based iPod digital music player at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, sources have re-confirmed to AppleInsider. The player has reportedly been under production since last December.

While details surrounding the player's physical look and feel remain a bit of a mystery, sources confirm that the iPod flash will sport an initial capacity of 1GB.

Apple is reportedly preparing for an aggressive marketing campaign around the player in Asian markets, where its hard disk-based players have arguably underperformed. According to sources, the player will retail in China for 999 HKD (Hong Kong Dollar) or approximately $129 - $149 USD.

Mac rumor site Think Secret also claims to have confirmed that the player will debut in 1GB form, but does not rule out the possibility of a second configuration boasting dual 1GB flash modules (or 2GB of total capacity for $199). True to previous reports, the site also confirms that the players are currently under production in Taiwan by ODM, Asustek.

Also next week Apple is rumored to increase the capacity of its iPod mini player to 5GB with the aid of 5GB ST1 drives from Seagate Technologies.

Faster PowerBooks

Meanwhile, sources say that Apple also holds a PowerBook G4 upgrade in the pipeline -- rumored to be the last G4 bump before the laptops acquire G5 processors in the second half of 2005.

Sources say Apple will increase the speed of its high-end 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks to 1.7GHz with 1.667GHz G4 processors from Motorola's freescale division. The models are also expect boast improved graphics processors.

Tipsters also add that Apple has already begun to accept orders for these revised laptops in some markets, though it remains unclear exactly when they will debut and ship to retail.

While little information is available on changes to the 12-inch PowerBook, insiders suggest this model would likely be upgraded to a 1.5GHz G4 processor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Its great to see the PowerBook line updated but there is still such a huge performance gap between the PowerBooks and the PowerMacs. When are we going to see some G5 PowerBooks???

My G4 PB 1.5Ghz can't hold a candle to my friend's iMac G5 1.6Ghz, even though I have twice as much RAM!!!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Its great to see the PowerBook line updated but there is still such a huge performance gap between the PowerBooks and the PowerMacs. When are we going to see some G5 PowerBooks???

Read the article again, you may be surprised to find your answer.

Quote:

My G4 PB 1.5Ghz can't hold a candle to my friend's iMac G5 1.6Ghz, even though I have twice as much RAM!!!

The problem is that if they use G5 chip they have now, you may actually be able to light a candle with that PB.

I'm happy with the news, since my wife has had her finger above the "buy" button for the last month.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    19841984 Posts: 955member

Quote:

My guess is at WWDC where I imagine 64-bit will be the running theme. We should see both the PowerBook G5 and 3 GHz DP PowerMac G5 announced there, both shipping with 10.4 preinstalled of course.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

My guess is at WWDC where I imagine 64-bit will be the running theme. We should see both the PowerBook G5 and 3 GHz DP PowerMac G5 announced there, both shipping with 10.4 preinstalled of course.

=(

I can't wait that long. I guess I'll just have to settle for the pBook they are about to put out.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:

When are we going to see some G5 PowerBooks???

This was a rhetorical comment... I know that we should see G5 PB's sometime this year.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    i dont think they will sell the 1666.6666 mhz g4 as a 1.7

with a 9.5 multiplier we could get a 1583.3333 mhz g4

it will probably end up being the current 1.5s and new 1.66s

but they did 1.42 (8.5 multiplier)

so 1.58 could happen i quess
  • Reply 7 of 60
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    This may be a silly question, but with this update, what chip will be used, and does it fix or lessen the FSB issue with current PBooks?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

This may be a silly question, but with this update, what chip will be used, and does it fix or lessen the FSB issue with current PBooks?

That is exactly what I was wondering. I thought I read somewhere that the new G4s from Freescale had a 200 MHz front side bus?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

That is exactly what I was wondering. I thought I read somewhere that the new G4s from Freescale had a 200 MHz front side bus?

The other questions I have are whether the new PBooks will have a faster Superdrive (Pioneer has an 8x available from what I understand) and whether the graphics upgrade will be the 9800 or a mobile X800?.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

i dont think they will sell the 1666.6666 mhz g4 as a 1.7

with a 9.5 multiplier we could get a 1583.3333 mhz g4

it will probably end up being the current 1.5s and new 1.66s

but they did 1.42 (8.5 multiplier)

so 1.58 could happen i quess

Huh? Que? Wha? Oh, and WTF?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Although ATI currently lists X800 as a PCI-E mobile product, I think they are only vaporware right now.

This reminds me of a rumour that appeared at MR one month ago:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...09142551.shtml

The 12" should get a 9700 imho, because the current fx5200 won't be able to deliver good performance in coreImage intensive applications.

As for the 15" and 17" pbooks, standard 9700 128mb would be welcomed, since a lot of wintel laptops already have them.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

The other questions I have are whether the new PBooks will have a faster Superdrive (Pioneer has an 8x available from what I understand) and whether the graphics upgrade will be the 9800 or a mobile X800?.

I don't think Pioneer makes laptop drives let alone slot-loading ones. I haven't checked. However, Matsushita now has a slot-loading 8x DVD-R drive available and Apple has always used them in the past. Some have already upgraded their aluminum PowerBooks with them in fact.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I don't know what to do!!! I want a Powerbook, and I plan to sell my iBook, but should I wait for a G5 Powerbook?

I guess I could get this Powerbook update, and then sell that Powerbook to help me buy a G5 next fall or winter. At least iBooks and Powerbooks hold some decent value.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zaelsius

This reminds me of a rumour that appeared at MR one month ago:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...09142551.shtml

I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand the AI report seems to support it (as little info as they have shared) but on the other hand it was thoroughly debunked. It's never a good sign when the anonymous source starts posting in the forums. His screenshot was manipulated among other things. Still, we don't really know if they are both the same person. Here are the specs that were posted:

12" - upgrade to 1.5 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in (like the new iBooks), 80 GB HD, Mobility Radeon 9700 (64 MB) Price $1399

15" - upgrade to 1.67 Ghz G4, BT/AE built in, 80 GB, Backlit keyboard standard, Mobility Radeon 9800 (128 MB VRAM) Price - $2299

17" - Same as 15" except 17" display - $2599

Take it for what it's worth. Add in the 8x Superdrive as it is available and it would be just plain foolish for them to leave it out. I would hope they stick with two 15" configurations though. I wouldn't mind a 1.5 GHz along with those new specs for say $1799.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

This is from memory, but I believe the 7447b has the same 167Mhz bus as the current PBooks. I think the question is whether Freescale has their 7448 ready, which does have a 200Mhz bus (and a 1 MB L2 cache). It's still not much of an increase though.

I doubt this will happen at MacWorld. There's just too much on the plate already, and this isn't an exciting enough bump. It'll happen a week after MacWorld.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I don't think Pioneer makes laptop drives let alone slot-loading ones.

my PC has a pioneer Slot-In DVD Drive... last time i checked pioneer was the only one that acutally had PC DVD Drives with Slot-In.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

My PC has a Pioneer Slot-In DVD Drive... last time I checked Pioneer was the only one that acutally had PC DVD Drives with Slot-In.

To my knowledge every laptop Apple has ever shipped with has had a slot-loading drive from Matsushita where as Pioneer has been used on the desktop. This can be checked with System Profiler in the Utilities folder in OS X if anyone's curious. I know of only one slot-loading DVD drive from Pioneer and it is for desktops.

EDIT: Had to dig deeper but it looks like Pioneer does make a slot-loading Superdrive for laptops and it's 8x as well so Apple has multiple choices here. I'm curious now as to what drives Apple is using in the current aluminum PowerBooks. Perhaps someone can check using System Profiler as mentioned above. I do know that Apple has always used Matsushita for their slot-loading drives but perhaps they make an exception with the Superdrive versions.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    looks like a powerbook update they could have announced a few months ago. i mean, why wait until mwsf when the powerbooks obviously deserve a major upgrade (overhaul) but all they get is a minor speedbump.

it's been 9 months now...
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

looks like a powerbook update they could have announced a few months ago. i mean, why wait until mwsf when the powerbooks obviously deserve a major upgrade (overhaul) but all they get is a minor speedbump.

it's been 9 months now...

Unless they have been waiting on the 7448 chip. If it ships with a 7447b I'll be pissed.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    It looks like Apple has two choices for a Superdrive:

Pioneer DVR-K04 vs Panasonic UJ-835B

I'm glad I looked into this more. Let us all hope they use the Pioneer. Overall they both have the same specs except the Pionner can burn CD-RW at 24x (as opposed to only 10x on the Panasonic) and the Pioneer also supports Dual Layer burning at 2.4x which the Panasonic lacks completely. Don't screw this one up Apple! Keep your fingers crossed everybody.