Apple unveils iWork '05 productivity suite

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Hey, Mariner Calc's not so bad. (I'm playing with it just now). Nice alternative to Excel. Not fantastic, not Mac OS X-like but acceptable non-MS spreadsheet.

But gimme Cells for iWork anyday. I love that Apple touch too much, 3rd party stuff seldom feels right.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    WaSP has info on Pages html abilities or lack thereof. Not only is the code bad, it doesn't look right in Safari. Safari! Haha. Oh well, there goes my plans on using this to make Newsletters that can be published in multiple mediums.
  • Reply 103 of 131
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    More screenies.

Note that one screenshot shows that a serial number is needed for installation. Interesting.

Also, the size of the file for total install is 794 Mb.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

WaSP has info on Pages html abilities or lack thereof. Not only is the code bad, it doesn't look right in Safari. Safari! Haha. Oh well, there goes my plans on using this to make Newsletters that can be published in multiple mediums.

Oh no. *sigh* :/
  • Reply 105 of 131
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

This is, unfortunately, true. At least, in the unofficial version floating around the net. I made a simple resume in Pages last night and exported it to HTML. It cleverly converted the fancy fonts to images so that Windows users can see the stylish fonts. However, all the formatting and layout work I did was lost--in Safari! I was shocked. But oh well. This isn't even an official version so maybe this will be fixed?
  • Reply 106 of 131
    You know that within a week after Pages gets released and someone gets a look at the XML files these things are saved as, will release an HTML export plug-in.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

I made a simple resume in Pages last night and exported it to HTML. It cleverly converted the fancy fonts to images so that Windows users can see the stylish fonts. However, all the formatting and layout work I did was lost--in Safari! I was shocked.

This doesn't sound good.

Naturally enough, when using a program that allows you to control your layout of text and graphics cleanly and efficiently, any HTML export should lose much of that formatting... So, I'm wondering if you wrote a document using Pages' web-page template, whether the resulting file would be more web friendly??? (The web-page template may restrict you to how you position graphics, heading styles, and so on).

Anyone know?

[edit: I'm assuming you didn't write your resume with the web-page template, and assuming that there IS a web page template!]
  • Reply 108 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

You know that within a week after Pages gets released and someone gets a look at the XML files these things are saved as, will release an HTML export plug-in.

Yeah? Where is my Keynote 1.x HTML export plug-in?

Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

This isn't even an official version so maybe this will be fixed?

Nope. According to what I've heard the Pages software demo'd at MacWorld was gold master. The WaSP report was from an official build (hopefully).

I mean, I could clean it up but if things are really borked what's the point? Might as well design the entire web template myself. Sheesh, so much for not having to do my job.
  • Reply 109 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

IMy question is whether Pages "breaks" the traditional WP paradigm of just opening a document and starting to type, and whether a Pagemaker-like "text in boxes" metaphor is in use.

The first template is a blank page. You open it and you type-just like any other WP. You can add text boxes if you wish to position text or link it with a graphic.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregAlexander

This doesn't sound good.

Naturally enough, when using a program that allows you to control your layout of text and graphics cleanly and efficiently, any HTML export should lose much of that formatting... So, I'm wondering if you wrote a document using Pages' web-page template, whether the resulting file would be more web friendly??? (The web-page template may restrict you to how you position graphics, heading styles, and so on).

[edit: I'm assuming you didn't write your resume with the web-page template, and assuming that there IS a web page template!]

I couldn't find a web page template. I just made the document then used the Export feature which presents you with the following options: PDF, Word, HTML, RTF & Plain Text.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    I don't think the ability to export as html, whether its the builtin function or a third party plugin, qualifies Pages as a web page app. A minimum would be a a reasonably reliable preview built in, like in Taco Edit, Dreamveawer or NVU. A true web page creator would have code view as well.

My guess is that Apple will achieve this with some kind of blogging/easy web page app later on. (Claris Homepage was actually a pretty good low end web page creation tool).
  • Reply 112 of 131
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    A nice first impressions (focusing on WP) over at ars.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    Thanks for the link. It looks like there is some document info (word count) after all. I hope it counts the words in a selection as well as total word count.
  • Reply 114 of 131
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I was just concerned that Pages wouldn't work like a true word-processor, which, if I'm hearing right isn't the case.

I'm not worried about individual features like word count. iWork will mature quickly once the rest of the suite is unveiled. Just look at where iLife is after five revisions.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

I was just concerned that Pages wouldn't work like a true word-processor, which, if I'm hearing right isn't the case.

What do you need for your true word-processor that Pages doesn't offer?

If Simifilm's first impressions are correct (and I'm sure this is a highly subjective matter anyway), speed in Pages is "ok" for text-centric documents on a 1ghz iBook G4 w/ 768mb of RAM.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

What do you need for your true word-processor that Pages doesn't offer?

According to the Ars forums, Mail Merge. I mean sure you could use the defense that Pages is $40 (half of iWork) but meh. Mail Merge.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Thanks for the link. It looks like there is some document info (word count) after all. I hope it counts the words in a selection as well as total word count.

I haven't been able to find any selection word count.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    It's HTML is deplorable and it's exporting "fancy" text effects as PNGs who's transparency won't show in Win IE.

But I'm only using it for PDFs anyway, so I don't care, personally. I'd rather no HTML export though, instead of lousy HTML
  • Reply 119 of 131
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

I'm aware that the templates can be disabled.

My question is whether Pages "breaks" the traditional WP paradigm of just opening a document and starting to type, and whether a Pagemaker-like "text in boxes" metaphor is in use.

I'm not complaining about the Page Layout functionality. Do a search and you'll find me asking for a lower end DTP app on OS X from Adobe or Apple.

However, I also write for a living and there's a good reason writers avoid DTP apps.

After playing with it a bit, it really functions and looks just like a traditional WP if you just get set it so the stupid template selector doesn't open with a new doc, and you show rulers, and you set the inspector on "text."
  • Reply 120 of 131
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

It's HTML is deplorable and it's exporting "fancy" text effects as PNGs who's transparency won't show in Win IE.

That's strictly a problem with WinIE, IMNSHO. They need to get with the program.