Mac mini misses its target consumer

Comments

• Reply 121 of 289
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Looks to me like our special "tool" is going to be a shim, just a little chunk of metal/plastic that slides in under the edge of the case and depresses the hooks.

If an Apple certified tech can do it, I'm fairly sure I can. And if I can't, well, bugger it, that's what Apple stores are for.

"Wait and see" is such a horrible way to intercede into this argument, but really we're hollering at the wind right now. I'm buying one, I've got a few friends to consider it as well (quite a few six year old IBM e-series towers and eMachine wonders out there that I have to fix - I keep hearing the phrase "I'm phoning home, dad'll buy me that."

Higher education: Picking parents pockets into increased Apple marketshare(tm)

Edit: English apparently not my first language what with the spelling today.
  • Reply 122 of 289
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Look this image and you will understand.

Nasty, looks like I'm going to have to use the ol'e slim-jim
  • Reply 123 of 289
    ok, folks. let me add my two cents. i use a pc and am about to buy an ibook. pc is fine for me and i expect the ibook to be the same (or better, according to some). but when i look at the mini, i have a several reactions: first, for those who say that people should get a wireless connection (to save usb ports), well, means that the mini is much closer to $700. second, even w/out the wireless connection an inexpensive crt is at leat $150 (sure, you can wait for a sale or buy one off ebay, etc., but most people probably won't do this). add a cheap key board and mouse and it's nearing $200. third, as has been well-discussed, is apple's penurious position regarding ram. i think it's fair to say that a computer that requires "expert" ram installation is one whose price (money and time) is higher than listed (i say this because people expect to buy, for example, extra software; they don't expect that their computer must go to the "shop" simply for ram). fourth, i think that the "new" apple customer who is attracted by the mini will, reasonably, have expectations that the mini can perform as a comparably priced pc; therefore, i don't think it's credible to suggest that such new users should or will consider apple's history, market share, ease of use etc. when judging what the new customer expects from this machine.
  • Reply 124 of 289
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I'm glad you don't get a screen with it.

Most people have screens. If they want a cheap machine with screen and keyboard then the eMac is the way to go.

As for keyboard you can buy an el cheapo usb keyboard for a couple of dollars as well as a mouse (if you don't already have one). At least Apple dropped their price on the keyboards!

The selling features are space (as in footprint) and useability. You don't have to piss about with virus scanners, spyware, adware. You don't have to install drivers for every frikkin device your plug in etc.

Dobby.
  • Reply 125 of 289
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Apple has often done the RAM - shuffle thing. It's old hat with them.

Now tell me exactly what you think the machine should have, and the price.

2 RAM slots

512Mb standard in one slot

Keyboard and mouse

3 USB Ports

Everything else the same

$500
  • Reply 126 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I don't know how this is an issue. Modern USB keyboards have a port on them for a mouse and usually another for other low-power devices. That leaves a powered USB port available on the Mac, for a scanner, disk drive or whatever. If you don't have a modern USB keyboard, get with the new millennium.

(Not directed toward you, Guartho,) the nitpicking about this amazing new inexpensive Mac is unbelievable. I'm thrilled to see the Mac mini and fully expect Mac market share to increase because of it.

Most windows keyboards do not have USB ports on them. Many items require a powered hub and wont work on keyboard ports anyway
  • Reply 127 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Matsu, quick question. Why does everyone think these things are hard to crack open. Are they using some special screw set that only three Swiss watchmakers in the world know how to produce or what? I?m sure it will be fairly easy to add an airport card or HD once you find the screwdriver at Radio shack.

It may be but it voids the warrantee.
  • Reply 128 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

Looks to me like our special "tool" is going to be a shim, just a little chunk of metal/plastic that slides in under the edge of the case and depresses the hooks.

If an Apple certified tech can do it, I'm fairly sure I can. And if I can't, well, bugger it, that's what Apple stores are for.

"Wait and see" is such a horrible way to intercede into this argument, but really we're hollering at the wind right now. I'm buying one, I've got a few friends to consider it as well (quite a few six year old IBM e-series towers and eMachine wonders out there that I have to fix - I keep hearing the phrase "I'm phoning home, dad'll buy me that."

Higher education: Picking parents pockets into increased Apple marketshare(tm)

Edit: English apparently not my first language what with the spelling today.

Well, even with all my qualms about it i think I talked 2 of my customers into buying one(with the RAM upgrade) and I warned them about the keyboard and mouse. My boss wont like that since we only sell PCs
  • Reply 129 of 289
    Check this link for a decent analysis of the mini and its target customer:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...13/bs_nf/29707
  • Reply 130 of 289
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Thanks Bill I think you've gotten old like 4 pages ago. Complain complain complain. Again $499
  • Reply 131 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

2 RAM slots

Keyboard and mouse

3 USB Ports

Everything else the same

$500

OK- so I went to dell and tried to configure a computer that has firewire and this is what I came up with...

Dimension 3000

2.8GHz P4

Windows XP Pro (more comparable to Mac OS X- if you don't want it subtract $71)

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Dual Drives (DVD and CDRW- 'cause it was cheaper than a single combo drive)

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio

Integrated Intel Graphics (They don't say how much VRAM- so I would assume 32MB)

1394 Adapter

No speakers

Keyboard and mouse (you can't build one without them)

No extra software except for wordperfect

Final Price

$569

OK, now lets take a look at the Mac mini

1.25GHz G4

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Slot load combo drive

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio Out only

Integrated ATI 32MB Graphics

Firewire

iMovie HD

iPhoto

iTunes

iDVD

Garage Band

Appleworks

Price $499

Yeah- PCs are much cheaper and a better value.

-taco

p.s. I just think you have unrealistic expectations on price/performance when compared to the PC market.
  • Reply 132 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

OK- so I went to dell and tried to configure a computer that has firewire and this is what I came up with...

Dimension 3000

2.8GHz P4

Windows XP Pro (more comparable to Mac OS X- if you don't want it subtract $71)

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Dual Drives (DVD and CDRW- 'cause it was cheaper than a single combo drive)

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio

Integrated Intel Graphics (They don't say how much VRAM- so I would assume 32MB)

1394 Adapter

No speakers

Keyboard and mouse (you can't build one without them)

No extra software except for wordperfect

Final Price

$569

OK, now lets take a look at the Mac mini

1.25GHz G4

256MB RAM

40GB Hard Drive

Slot load combo drive

NO MONITOR

Integrated Audio Out only

Integrated ATI 32MB Graphics

Firewire

iMovie HD

iPhoto

iTunes

iDVD

Garage Band

Appleworks

Price $499

Yeah- PCs are much cheaper and a better value.

-taco

p.s. I just think you have unrealistic expectations on price/performance when compared to the PC market.

Dude, Im selling a Compaq bundle including 17 inch monitor, 512Mb RAM, etc etc for $399. There were similar HP deals going on a week ago.

Its what the consumer is looking at, not what we Mac people are looking at, that matters.
  • Reply 133 of 289
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Most windows keyboards do not have USB ports on them. Many items require a powered hub and wont work on keyboard ports anyway

Um well, I suppose a keyboard purchase will be required then. What's it cost for one with USB ports, $25? Apple had to cut costs somewhere to offer a cheap Mac. At least they didn't leave out FireWire, or Ethernet or any number of other things that would have really been missed.

Don't forget, USB is hot-plugable so you can just unplug one device and plug in another. Many devices such as printers, scanners, key drives, work on low-power ports. Obviously, if your keyboard and mouse take up the only two ports, you need a new keyboard with at least one extra port for a mouse.
  • Reply 134 of 289
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You can get an Apple USB keyboard for $25 and hook up your mouse to it, thus freeing one USB from your mini and leaving another one free in your keyboard.

You can use the one in the keyboard for something that uses low-power USB, like a printer, and you can use the USB 2.0 in the mini for your iPod, USB external drive if you have one and/or FireWire drive.

Not very hard to fit them in.
  • Reply 135 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You can get an Apple USB keyboard for $25 and hook up your mouse to it, thus freeing one USB from your mini and leaving another one free in your keyboard.

You can use the one in the keyboard for something that uses low-power USB, like a printer, and you can use the USB 2.0 in the mini for your iPod, USB external drive if you have one and/or FireWire drive.

Not very hard to fit them in.

I believe printers usually need a powered USB port, as do some scanners. I remember people having trouble plugging in these items into their Apple keyboards.

The USB port on the keyboard is good for thumbdrives and the like, though.
  • Reply 136 of 289
    I was checking around to see if any Apple catalogues are offering free RAM upgrade with the mini like they do with every other model. Probably difficult to do becuse they would have to pull the existing RAM out first rather than just adding a chip.

So far, no deals that I can see.
  • Reply 137 of 289
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I want to try opening that case myself. Surely just a flat head screwdriver will suffice.

Dobby.
  • Reply 138 of 289
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

2 RAM slots

Keyboard and mouse

3 USB Ports

Everything else the same

$500

Not that I disagree with you but the 20" iMac doesn't come with 512 MB. More RAM is great but they should up it across the board. The honest truth is Apple would much rather sell and iMac than the miniMac. I honestly don't know why Apple created this computer, but they clearly aren't looked for broad PC market appeal. They want people with money who have a PC already and want to dabble with OS X and iLife. Apple hopes they will love the Mac OS so much they will upgrade to a iMac. I really feel they need to include a Apple keyboard and have a low cost monitor as an option.
  • Reply 139 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by imacFP

Not that I disagree with you but the 20" iMac doesn't come with 512 MB. More RAM is great but they should up it across the board. The honest truth is Apple would much rather sell and iMac than the miniMac. I honestly don't know why Apple created this computer, but they clearly aren't looked for broad PC market appeal. They want people with money who have a PC already and want to dabble with OS X and iLife. Apple hopes they will love the Mac OS so much they will upgrade to a iMac. I really feel they need to include a Apple keyboard and have a low cost monitor as an option.

Agreed, 512Mb should be standard on all computers.

The mini was supposed to be their way of attracting iPod owners and it may still work but i think PC users will find Apple to be an even wierder company than they may have first thought. It just always seems that Apple doesnt like to please its customers.

Personally I have always found their software to be much more compelling than their hardware.
  • Reply 140 of 289
    Quote:

1. No keyboard and mouse? Just bizarre. People want to open the box and use it, now they have to pick out a keyboard and mouse seperately? Don't tell me they can use what they have now. When many people buy a new computer they give their old one to the kids.

maybe they want to open it, and stick in in their kvm box? ;-)

I am one of those PC users, this means I want to fit the mac mini into my infrastructure: VGA, PS/2 keyboard and mouse (adapters would be missing), Fast Ethernet.

Quote:

2. Skimpy RAM. Without a necessary factory installed RAM upgrade(expensive) the computer will run like ass right out of the box.

That would be my next dilemma. Does anyone know for certain, if I could just plug in an 512MB DIMM?

Quote:

3. Measly 2 USB ports means a hub is most likely a necessity.

Yes, thats quite annoying. If you use USB keyboard and mouse, you won't be able to stick anything else into it without a hub.

Although Firewire is included, it is still missing on most of the cheap pc mainboards.

I'm also missing standard RS232 Ports, and a LineIn or Microphone Jacket.

David