Mac mini misses its target consumer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 289
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    I can't believe anyone is complaining about buying a Keyboard/Mouse... It's $30 FREAKIN' DOLLARS. If they included them and it cost $529, would it really have made any difference.

As someone said, this is the cheapest Mac, not cheapest PC, if you don't want to buy it, no one is forcing you. If you're going to pass up on a $499 mac because you're too cheap to buy a keyboard and mouse...you're an idiot simply put.
  • Reply 62 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Don't forget free fucking shipping!

At the moment both products include free shipping...
  • Reply 63 of 289
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The Mac Mini won't miss it's target consumer

Most folks who have been around here, will remember how many times on those boards have request such a computer.

A screenless cheap computer. Appe did it. If you want really cheap memory upgrade : forgot Apple. Same for the keyboard and the mouse.

Personally I am very happy that they do not include a mouse and a keyboard. The keyboard and mouse market for the mac is very small , thus third party companies where not interested in it. With the Mac mini, more companies will be interested in it. At the end we will have much more choice, when it comes to keyboard and mouses.
  • Reply 64 of 289
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Here I see people using cubes, first generation G4 towers and have really slow OS X, and for those with even slower boxes even 8 and 9 is slow. For them getting mini makes a lot of sense as they at the cost of a G4 CPU upgrade get that CPU upgrade and faster video, USB2, new HD and CD-burner all in a small stylish box. While they can keep their keyboard, mouse and monitor if they are on a tight budget or spend more if they like that

At work this is brilliant, also at home as long as you do play very demanding games. Then you need a tower that cost at least 4 times that of the mini...
  • Reply 65 of 289
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

A/V outputs are not of high enough quality to use in a home theater. There goes another potential market for the Mini: a home entertainment system server.

Where have you gotten this information?
  • Reply 66 of 289
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Only the worst sort of apologist would defend the lack of basic input devices -- keyboard and mouse should be included no matter what, especially since 97.3328946571038% of keyboards and mice are PS2 and not USB.

Needs two user serviceable RAM slots, and better HDD options as well. I hope they weren't so daft as to use 2.5" drives!

They could have made it a little bigger to address these concerns. At 8x8x2 instead of 6.5x6.5x2, it would have more room to add features at the same cost.

Kill the eMac in the consumer space and offer an non-neutered mini.
  • Reply 67 of 289
    What is the market for a Mac mini?? As much as they say it's for an iPod user who uses a PC and gives them a cheap alternative, I'm not really convinced on that. I think the market is for people who've been begging for one for years. Education, businesses, people who just need a small machine to run their stuff but nothing fancy. If a school wanted to replace their Macs, what were their choices? Either buy new G5 towers which provide more power and take up more space than they ever would need, or buy iMacs or eMacs. Then you're buying new displays constantly and it's just not economically feasible to do something like that. A small business can buy a bunch of displays, keyboards, and mice from whomever and still get a great deal on a bunch of Mac mini's. In the long run, it's more affordable and it becomes the best education/office solution that apple has ever invented.

My only question is how does iSight fit onto that little bugger?
  • Reply 68 of 289
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    It seems like a reasonably priced computer, as long as you take it stock. Want DVD-R? $100. 512MB upgrade? $75. Remember, you lose your warranty if you do any upgrades yourself, so you're stuck getting upgrades installed by authorized service centers.

Still, I think this is a great deal. I think I can get my boss to pick up one with the DVD-R & RAM upgrade.
  • Reply 69 of 289
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Only the worst sort of apologist would defend the lack of basic input devices -- keyboard and mouse should be included no matter what, especially since 97.3328946571038% of keyboards and mice are PS2 and not USB.

Needs two user serviceable RAM slots, and better HDD options as well. I hope they weren't so daft as to use 2.5" drives!

They could have made it a little bigger to address these concerns. At 8x8x2 instead of 6.5x6.5x2, it would have more room to add features at the same cost.

Kill the eMac in the consumer space and offer an non-neutered mini.

I think you guys are missing the big picture here, SIZE! I looked on every major PC computer site and couldn't find one machine that even resembles the size and weight of the mini Mac. Ok wait, I did find one AMD; they make this mini PC for third world countries and it uses a embedded chip, ppsssst yeah right. I?m usually the first one to Criticize Apple for being flat out cheap with their computers but this time I think they nailed it. This is going to be the first workstation that I can put in my backpack without feeling a burden. It might be a little slow for OSX(Aqua), but it would make a perfect Darwin, Linux or BSD machine.
  • Reply 70 of 289
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Baron von Smiley

What is the market for a Mac mini??

That's my question too \ . Certainly it is not for long time Mac users who have AIOs. Unless they are willing to buy a display too. I do not know at this point how many eMac and iMac users would like to abandon the simplicity of the AIO concept for this Mac mini.

As for PC users: as it has already been pointed out, the vast majority of the keyboards and mice in the PC world work on PS2 connectors. So virtually any PC user who wants to buy the Mac mini, needs to pay for a keyboard and mouse separately. Of course you can find them in really low prices, but I am not sure about the impact that would have on the average PC user the need to buy extra keyboard/mouse (or the fact the his usual keyboard/mouse is useless in the Mac mini). I presume this would create a negative feeling.

Another important point is zero user access in the internals of the machine. Why? Would it be so difficult to follow the iMac G5 paradigm? This is a mystery to me.
  • Reply 71 of 289
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    LOL keyboard and mouse argument is old....for practically nothing you can get both. Please it's the least expensive mac ever. so stop the crying like a bunch of PC bitches
  • Reply 72 of 289
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The eMac is still a pig of a machine, fat, retro-tech display... but it has more robustness built-in. USER serviceable dual RAM slots and airport card, audio-in/out, more ports...

The Mac mini should have these features. Rather than build it so small, they could have built the footprint 2" deeper and wider to accomodate desktop grade opticals and give space for these features.

HDTV is going to be real interesting here. If wireless I/O can come built in to the iBooks, then it can come built in to the iMac mini as well. With DVI out, a Mac under the hood, and BT converter, this becomes a great media centre/desktop, but Steve-O seems to have taken steps to intentionally handicap it.
  • Reply 73 of 289
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

so stop the crying like a bunch of PC bitches

You just said it. This is why I have question marks in my mind when I am thinking about the target market of this Mac. I guess time will tell.

Personally I have not problems with this machine, I even consider buying two of them. But I am talking here about Mac AIO and PC users, which represent the vast majority of the potential buyers.
  • Reply 74 of 289
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    I think the Mac mini is the perfect computer for my Mom. She currently uses an IBM Aptiva that she spent over $6,000 on (it was beyond overkill: Bose speakers/powered sub and a 'media consol' which was pretty much her floppy and DVD drive taken out of the tower and put in a 2nd mini tower on her desk). She uses it to check her email and look at like two web sites a day. The thing is a 266mhz with 128mb of ram. It takes 9 literal minutes to boot up and freezes constantly.

So I am going to get her a Mac mini, keep her gigantic IBM monitor, keyboard, mouse as well as her Bose speakers and sub (although I think the sub has an IBM-proprietary hookup). But I don't really think that many people will buy them. It is, however, the perfect Mom computer.
  • Reply 75 of 289
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Worst part, IMO, is skimping on the ports.

No Mic port. This rules out many business sales, unless they want to dick around with flakey USB adaptors.

A/V outputs are not of high enough quality to use in a home theater. There goes another potential market for the Mini: a home entertainment system server.

No way to upgrade nothin'. Video chipset? Nope. CPU? Nope. RAM? Sort of, but an Apple tech has got to do it. Yet more landfill fodder from Apple.

It's just overwhelmingly mediocre all around.

At least the lack of a keyboard/mouse can be rectified by spending more money. No amount of money will put a new video card in the Mini or add an extra port to it.

go watch the keynote and lsiten to jobs say "STRIPPED DOWN MAC." this computer is NOT about performance--its about PRICE. so deal with it.
  • Reply 76 of 289
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Jesus steve, you are irreparably ignorant of how Apple does business.

Think Nintendo:

Nintendo selss you a basic machine (Gamecube, Gameboy) and then makes you pay for every little extra trinket if you want anything other than bare bones. You bait people in with the low price, and they usually don't mind spenind more to get it to be what they want it to be.

Same with the mini. You get the box. You probably already a keyboard/mouse/monitor. If you don't go eMac. If you do, you're covered, even if you have to fork over an extra $30 to get your PS/2 crap to work. (Most people don't give a shit about that extra $30 on the end. They know with tax it'll never be $499 anyway.) If you already have the mouse and keyboard, but want somethign to match, you'll spring for the Apple stuff. It's your choice to do so, and if you really want that match, you'll pay for it.

I think Apple is doing a pretty good job here of covering a lot of territory. Certainly there are a few things I'd like to see improved, but I'm not the typical PC user. They aren't pounding away with Photoshop, Illustrator, iPhoto, BBEdit, Firefox, iTunes, Transmit, Mail, Adium and Konfabulator all running all day pretty much every day.
  • Reply 77 of 289
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You just said it. This is why I have question marks in my mind when I am thinking about the target market of this Mac. I guess time will tell.

Personally I have not problems with this machine, I even consider buying two of them. But I am talking here about Mac AIO and PC users, which represent the vast majority of the potential buyers.

What do you question? That they won't spend $50 max on a keyboard and mouse? They seem to spend at least that yearly to keep spyware, adware, viruses, and all the crap in general they deal with just to keep their pc running. Let alone all the time and headaches trying to figure it out.

It's aimed at people sick of dealing with all the BS that have pc's. It's aimed at those looking for a cheap change. The keyboard and mouse or a $20 adapter won't stop them from buying. We already know millions of pc users were willing to spend more for ipods. I just don't see $50 for a few extras stopping people.
  • Reply 78 of 289
    Actually I think that not including keyboard and mouse is a great thing. Especially for those who want to purchase the Mac mini with built-in bluetooth to use the wireless keyboard and mouse. That way they won't have the cabled keyboard and mouse just lying around. You can just purchase what will be fit for you. That's why Apple made the design modular.
  • Reply 79 of 289
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    OK! LAY OFF THE VIDEO CARD

the 9200 isnt great, but damn, have you used it side by side with intel 810? that is the sort of thing that the would be switchers will have. In my case, a geforce 2, A 9200 is the perfect match for this thing, most displays that will be put on this thing cannot do more than 1600x1200, most people will use 1280x1024 and some even 1024x768, the 9200 will eat right through that without breaking a sweat, and will have room left over for core*.

The thing is great if there is one thing that was left out was a ps/2 to usb adapter for keyboards, I know they are cheap but they add to the "it all works out of the box" thing that apple is known for. Sadly, most PCs still use PS/2 keyboards, but mice are universaly usb now
  • Reply 80 of 289
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

OK! LAY OFF THE VIDEO CARD

.... A 9200 is the perfect match for this thing, most displays that will be put on this thing cannot do more than 1600x1200, most people will use 1280x1024 and some even 1024x768, the 9200 will eat right through that without breaking a sweat, and will have room left over for core*.

I don't think most people will push the rez even that high. Most non-tech people I know have their monitors at 800x700 or 1024x768. Generally it's at whatever it was when it came out of the box. My parents have a 17" monitor. Dad keeps his desktop at 1024x768 and it drives mom nuts to use it without changing over to her's because she's used to 800x600. If you're not doing high-end stuff like 3d modeling and you're not playing the latest greatest game a 32 9200 is great and will be for awhile.

I myself have a 19" and just now pushed it up to 1280x1024 because that's what was recommended for LightWave.