PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 381 of 632
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

A lot of people have mentioned a "pro" workstation being built along with the Powermac. Problem with this is Powermacs sales are already hurting... I believe they sold 175k last quarter? If a pro workstation was made what percentage of those users would buy it? Also how many new users not out of the powermac category would buy one?

I am thinking that that iMacs will get the dual-core and the Power Macs will get two-dual cores, meaning they will be quad processors. I think quad-processing is the next evolution for the Power Macs. I think the next Power Mac will be the "pro" workstation.
  • Reply 382 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

A lot of people have mentioned a "pro" workstation being built along with the Powermac. Problem with this is Powermacs sales are already hurting... I believe they sold 175k last quarter? If a pro workstation was made what percentage of those users would buy it? Also how many new users not out of the powermac category would buy one?

People have been passing on the PowerMac (and I'm one of them) all together because it's not a strong enough machine as they would like. That is what is hurting PM sales the most, and also people have been waiting on a better upgrade. The last few have been no big deal. It was also passed on because SJ made the claim that there would be 3GHz after the first year, and a lot of us that were going to buy one passed to get the 3GHz machine. (I am also one of those people)
  • Reply 383 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I am thinking that that iMacs will get the dual-core and the Power Macs will get two-dual cores, meaning they will be quad processors. I think quad-processing is the next evolution for the Power Macs. I think the next Power Mac will be the "pro" workstation.

I hope your right. I don't think its a big stretch for Apple to say they could use one either. They make all the apps (other than 3D) that pro workstations are marketed towards from Alienware, and BOXX. Both of these vendors sell machines targeted for CAD, Digital Video, Digital Audio, Digital Imaging, and Digital Content Creation. But who knows. I'm just excited to see where they are headed, We ( I ) will get some indication of that from the next PowerMac revision I think. Maybe this will be my year back to the PowerMac.
  • Reply 384 of 632
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Maybe this will be my year back to the PowerMac.

That's the most positive thing I've heard you say all year

I'm still 50/50 on what apple is going to do... go out huge or small on the powermacs... I am sure of one thing... it will either be this rev or next rev and I think a lot of that depends on IBM once again.
  • Reply 385 of 632
    Hi all... i love all this talk of the next macs. I have had a thought for a while and wonder what you all think of this...it always seems that delays and problems delivering upgrades all are dependent on who makes the processor albiet motorola or now ibm. then you read that they are in great financial shape and have a large cash supply. Is it totally out of the question for maybe apple to consider just buying their on state of the are processor plant and make their own and do it efficiently and with lots of innovation and great production capabilities so this end of the upgrade cycle and supplying the models they do introduce in timely fashion? Any thoughts in this direction. I love your comments and suggestions and predictions.
  • Reply 386 of 632
    PowerMac 3GHz x 4 + Tiger + FCP 5.0 = *drooooooool*
  • Reply 387 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

PowerMac 3GHz x 4 + Tiger + FCP 5.0 = *drooooooool*

Oh baby bring it on
  • Reply 388 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwsplcr

Hi all... i love all this talk of the next macs. I have had a thought for a while and wonder what you all think of this...it always seems that delays and problems delivering upgrades all are dependent on who makes the processor albiet motorola or now ibm. then you read that they are in great financial shape and have a large cash supply. Is it totally out of the question for maybe apple to consider just buying their on state of the are processor plant and make their own and do it efficiently and with lots of innovation and great production capabilities so this end of the upgrade cycle and supplying the models they do introduce in timely fashion? Any thoughts in this direction. I love your comments and suggestions and predictions.

That's a lot of cash your talking about, and who would Apples clientele be, Just Apple? Most manufacturers have a long list of processors that they sell to multiple (probably hundreds) clients. That's a huge risk. Apple isn't that big on risks. Most of their ideas are pretty well thought out, and that is why they chose IBM as their processor manufacturer. They look to be in pretty good shape in the future IMO.
  • Reply 389 of 632
    Onlooker is right, it would be completely out of the question for apple to build their own processors. You think they're slow now
  • Reply 390 of 632
    hay just a thought ....it always seems that the processor is what is holding up developing new models and somethings what holds up the releasing of new models shown as various shows that are for sale. production seems to be halted by the abailablity of processors for new models. That is very cool that someone noticed up above that the G5 2.5s are shipping same day as ordered. I do not believe that that has ever been that rapid a process.

It was only a thought
  • Reply 391 of 632
    With several different sites claiming a 1 April launch of Tiger, where does that put the new Power Mac?

I've been wondering whether or not Apple has actually been ramping up to manufacture them, and wants to have a fair amount of them on hand for the launch. No one seems to be able to say what holdup there is with the Power Mac, therefore, who's to say there actually is one?
  • Reply 392 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

With several different sites claiming a 1 April launch of Tiger, where does that put the new Power Mac?

I've been wondering whether or not Apple has actually been ramping up to manufacture them, and wants to have a fair amount of them on hand for the launch. No one seems to be able to say what holdup there is with the Power Mac, therefore, who's to say there actually is one?

look closely at what your saying... APRIL 1st
  • Reply 393 of 632
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I've got a good feeling about April 1st as well. It looks like they have some big news, I'm guessing it might be more that just OSX Tiger!

From the Backpage section of Appleinsider...

According to numerous reports, Apple has recently provided its developers with Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" build 8A414. The 2.29 GB seed was accompanied by a pair of seed notes, one for the operating system itself and another for HiToolbox, sources said. Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is rapidly approaching Gold Master status, which it should reach within the next two weeks. AppleInsider believes reports pertaining to an April 1st announcement of Tiger's completion are indeed accurate. Earlier in the year, extremely reliable sources had mentioned a 'major announcement' that Apple was planning on its 26th anniversary as a corporation.

It's as good a date as any to watch
  • Reply 394 of 632
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    Hmmm... it would be great if new PM's are announced on April 1st. But do you really think Apple would have 3 revised/new models (eMac, iMac, and PM), and Tiger to announce on the same day? That's too much for one day, I'd faint! They gotta save something for the WWDC in June.

• Reply 395 of 632
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    F*** the eMac and iMac. I know there vital to Apples health, and i'm all for the line improving accross the board, but I want a new PM tower that comes with nitrous tanks and airbags baby!
  • Reply 396 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

They gotta save something for the WWDC in June.

Hopefully that would be the venue for the PowerBook G5.
  • Reply 397 of 632
    A lot has been said in regard to CPU's in the new PM, does anyone believe new GPU options may come to light in the next update? Are the behind-the-scenes works with ATI and NVIDIA as seceret as the rest of the manufacturing process? The reason I ask is that I'm curious about Apple possibly introducing a new videocard into the mix along with the new CPU's.
  • Reply 398 of 632
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    I think we'll see new GPU options for the next Powermac line. Didn't Nvidia just announce a new 6200 series?

.... yup

This card should be the G5 PM lowend card now.
  • Reply 399 of 632
    Even thought there have been a few hints at 970mp (thermal diodes, CHUD tools, etc)... I have a feeling these cpu's are actually far off. On the same token 970GX has been "rumored" to have been in the works much longer. Do you guys see the next powermac sporting 970gx or 970mp? I vote for gx.

As far as graphics cards, from rumors apple has been said it HAS moved to PCI-Express cards (seen as they have been ordering them from ATI, the x700pro, and NVidia). What cards do you guys see in the new machines? I see 6200 -> 6600gt or x700pro -> 6800gt with 6800ultra and x800 as BTO. You guys can call bs on me about the 6800gt being a standard card in the top line models... I have a hard time seeing apple doing that myself... its more hoping than selective analysis.
  • Reply 400 of 632
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    If we don't have a new PM announcement in 2 months then the 970MP will be the new processor IMO.

Morpheus was right 6 months ago or more when he mentioned Antares so I have no reason to disbelieve his statement that volume production would commence Q1 of 2005. Apple would have enough chips stockpiled by May/June to announce new PMs.