The new Battlestar Galatica series

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    You really have to read Moore's blog over at Scifi.com and his podcasts from 109 (Tigh me up, Tigh me down) on.

To wit, all the details that are bugging people (English, Arabic numerals, shirts and suits, etc... Even sound in space) were all conscious decisions.

Yes they could have made up a language, writing, etc but that would have distracted from the important thing - the story. As for sound, Moore's argument was that audiences are simply too used to it, and not having it would be one of those distracting elements - sound is muffled though to symbolize the silence of space.

They do do details, note that the vast majority of paper and some books are cut octagonally although they do occasionally miss some.

As for the space ship's glass breaking... It seems from watching it that the "glass" contained some kind of sealant that would suffice for holding in space even if hit, but the reentry eventually broke it down but not until they were slow enough that the ship itself wouldn't be effected.

Personally I think that this is better science fiction then Farscape, B5, Star Trek et al (and yes, even Space: Above and Beyond despite that show's excellence). And far better then the horribly campy original Battlestar Galactica.

It's science fiction at it's finest. And Kobol's Last Gleaming is easily the best 2 hours of television so far this year. IMHO of course.

I'm eagerly awaiting season 2 in the summer, with 20 new episodes.

As for the person who said that Ron Moore and trek crew are emotionless, I think the new Battlestar Galactica answers that fairly well in of itself, but just in case:

Excerpted from Jeff Harrell's Shape of Day's blog @ www.shapeofdays.com

Direct link to full post

Probably everybody who was born before 1990 has, at some time or another, seen an episode of a TV show called ?Star Trek: The Next Generation.? During that show?s run, the writers constructed a story arc around an enemy of humanity called ?the Borg.? It was fairly standard stuff, to be honest; unstoppable killing machines and all that. It wasn?t revolutionary, but it was well done.

The conclusion of that arc involved a story in which our hero, the indomitable Captain Picard, is captured by the Borg, brainwashed and forced to do horrible things resulting in the deaths of thousands of people. He?s ultimately rescued by his compatriots and everything goes back to normal.

At least, that would be the science-fiction cliché. Yes, thousands are dead, but next week we?ll be off on another adventure. But ?Star Trek: The Next Generation? didn?t go that way. Instead, the next episode to air was a radical departure from the series? vernacular. Titled ?Family,? the episode was set entirely on Earth, in a vineyard in the French countryside. Captain Picard, recovering from his ordeal, had taken a weekend?s liberty and come to visit the home where he grew up, now owned by his brother. Picard never got a long with his brother as children; their sibling rivalry comes to a head when Picard?s nephew expresses a desire to become a starship captain when he grows up. Picard and his brother end up in a fistfight among the vines, a fight which ends in fraternal laugher, laughter which collapses into wracking sobs. In the end, Picard decides to return to the service, but just barely; we can see the weight of his decision in every frame, and when he does return, he?s a changed man.

If I can be excused for sounding like a ?Variety? headline, ?Family? was a tour de force. It was a complete departure from what the fans of the show had come to expect, and as a result was not well-received when it first aired. But it?s since come to be accepted as a triumph of the genre, and remains to this day as the undisputed high point of the entire seven-year run of ?Star Trek: The Next Generation.?

?Family? was written by Ronald D. Moore, creator and head writer of ?Battlestar Galactica.?
  • Reply 62 of 85
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    E.M., some good points! By the time "Best of both worlds" and "Family" were shot, STTNG had already found it's timing and the cast and crew were a team. It took them a few seasons to get it right. Some of it's best episodes are among some of the best TV drama period. The Classic Trek had some ground breaking moments for it's time. But man, it's unwatchable now...LOL.

Bab5 IMHO started out a bit "light" before they found their groove. I admit that after the Shadow War I lost interest.

Space Above And Beyond got it right after a few episodes. Too bad they weren't given a chance. There was some good ensemble acting there...

Farscape had a good groove going. Someone said it got a bit silly at times. I kind of agree with that. Pretty good stuff nonetheless.

Stargate has it's moments. Carter and O'Neal need to get it together...

Stargate Atlantis. The Wraith are pretty cool and nasty. It's just the cast that leaves me a bit, ehh...

Red Dwarf, Dr. Who, HitchHiker's Guide... Couldn't wrap my head around any of these shows. No offense to any of my Brit bros and sistas.

The Original Battlestar Galactica sucked great big...well, it just sucked. The only redeeming feature was the posibillities of the storyline. Yarns, centons, pretty little uniforms...ugh.

The new BG. Not counting the mini-series and taking it for the opening episode, 33, WOWSERS! What a way to start a series. Only the first opening moments of Deepspace 9 approached this.

All the criticisms of this show are valid. That is, from a purist point of view. Unfortunately, in this "I need gratification now" kulture we're in, a purist sci-fi show would bomb with a thud. This includes inventing a language and no sound in space. Forget it. In credit to Star Trek, Klingonese became cool and the episode "Darmok" was killer. These are exceptions that would not carry a series.

Personally, I like the combined elements of advanced tech coupled with bullets. The show works because of the mostly excellent acting overall. I hope they have a slam bang explanation for the Cylons religious obsession. That can either hurt the series or be one of the stand out aspects of the show after it's all said and done. Hope they pull it off because I really like this show.
  • Reply 63 of 85
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

The show works because of the mostly excellent acting overall. I hope they have a slam bang explanation for the Cylons religious obsession. That can either hurt the series or be one of the stand out aspects of the show after it's all said and done. Hope they pull it off because I really like this show.

I thought about it for a bit last night, and I think I have a guess. I don't want to be too hasty, because it might be way off, but I'm guessing that the cylon culture is very similar to the die-hard Nazi culture. That is, the goal would seem to be a master race, and evolution -- be it natural or synthetic -- is their prime motive. Most religions involve some sort of ascension.
  • Reply 64 of 85
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    a-men hardhead
  • Reply 65 of 85
    Spline, hmm, you might have something there...

ZO, is BG being shown in France with subtitles or overdubing? How does it "feel" being shown like that?
  • Reply 66 of 85
    Or is that Paris, Tejas...
  • Reply 67 of 85
    Quote:

E.M., some good points! By the time "Best of both worlds" and "Family" were shot, STTNG had already found it's timing and the cast and crew were a team. It took them a few seasons to get it right. Some of it's best episodes are among some of the best TV drama period. The Classic Trek had some ground breaking moments for it's time. But man, it's unwatchable now...LOL.

Stargate has it's moments. Carter and O'Neal need to get it together...

Personally, I like the combined elements of advanced tech coupled with bullets.

True it took them a while to get into the groove. And a lot of episodes suffered from weak scripts even then. Which is why "Family" stands out, both for it's difference from the rest of the series, and for the superb acting.

Sadly the US Air Force won't allow them to get it on. Heh.

Bullets are advanced tech. At least if you accept the premise that they're fired using railguns.

Lasers are really a pretty weak anti-ship weaponry. Easy to shield against (reflective and ablative armor) short ranged and their efficiency sucks (free electron lasers boast the best at 65% under perfect conditions).

On the other hand a single iron bar moving at 12 KPS would probably destroy Galactica. They don't have anything this advanced since they still consider nukes a decent weapon.

Nukes in space lose both the atmospheric shockwave and EMP effects. Those cause far more damage then the actual explosion. Nukes (or something better) would probably be the standard warhead not an exception as it seems to be on BG.

If the missile is going fast enough it doesn't need a warhead, or it should have one that has some range, i.e. an bomb pumped X-Ray laser or preferably some kind of fragment ring. A dozen hunks of metal at 5 KPS would pretty much ruin your day and be harder to kill then a missile with delicate electronics and some sort of fuel.

Although weaponry is more realistic in Battlestar Galactica then most, ships are far too close, and Galactica seems to lack anti-ship missiles. Also it's unclear whether or not the railguns are able to damage Basestars as they're only used as point defense in the show.

Fighters engaging other fighters and shooting down missiles is fairly realistic assuming you have fighters. However the Colonials do seem to lack a ship that can carry an anti-ship missile like Cylon Raiders.

Cylon Raiders don't have enough anti-ship missiles either.

Vipers should have anti-fighter missiles, and Raiders should use anti-fighter missiles more often.

I could go on, but everyone's probably bored by now. Plus it's just a TV show.
  • Reply 68 of 85
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    (Speaking in general)

I just don't like it when a given show's apologists cannot allow discussion on the details.

I can thoroughly enjoy a show on it's plot, drama, cast, action, acting, sets, effects, and still criticize any aspect of it without being a hater or anti-fan.

Always happens on the web these days, instant polarity, just add opinion.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that either need explaining in the show or on the blog, at least.

"Ignore it"/"get over it" doesn't cut it, for those of us that want to enjoy the show at all levels, more than the "the bad guys look cool" or "that chick is hot" level.

My hope is that the Cylons were never invented by the humans of the colonies, that the Cylons were always there - as humanoid, as guardians, pretending to "invent" key technology at key times, but that some older, more advanced human race did invent the Cylons as caretakers. The more robotic Cylons can be merely dumbed down versions to fit in with the times.

This way, the parallel evolution and technological/social/linguistic developments can be rationalized.

I'm explaining it poorly, but that's where I want it to end up.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Hardhead, i saw the whole series as they came out in the UK (via Bittorrent). The Series 1 DVD just came out there and am waiting for a few used copies to crop up on Amazon UK and buy it from there. The rest of Europe has no clue about BSG despite the fact I keep raving about it. Ah well.

Currently Amazon UK is selling it at 55usd. Once it hits around 40 I'm snatching it up.

Viva bittorrent.
  • Reply 70 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

(Speaking in general)

I just don't like it when a given show's apologists cannot allow discussion on the details.

I can thoroughly enjoy a show on it's plot, drama, cast, action, acting, sets, effects, and still criticize any aspect of it without being a hater or anti-fan.

Always happens on the web these days, instant polarity, just add opinion.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that either need explaining in the show or on the blog, at least.

"Ignore it"/"get over it" doesn't cut it, for those of us that want to enjoy the show at all levels, more than the "the bad guys look cool" or "that chick is hot" level.

My hope is that the Cylons were never invented by the humans of the colonies, that the Cylons were always there - as humanoid, as guardians, pretending to "invent" key technology at key times, but that some older, more advanced human race did invent the Cylons as caretakers. The more robotic Cylons can be merely dumbed down versions to fit in with the times.

This way, the parallel evolution and technological/social/linguistic developments can be rationalized.

I'm explaining it poorly, but that's where I want it to end up.

Agree with you here, instead of get over it I try to rationalize as much as possible. I can fully accept that using English, formal wear fashion and so on are massively unrealistic given the known back story but I also agree with RDM that the little details can distract (Farscape IMHO) from the main story and characters.

Your theory is an interesting take on it, but that I can't see something happening that would make them turn on the people in their care given their presumably long period of being their caretakers. Plus they're pretty deep into humans invented Cylons/Cylons went evil storylines.

As for inventing key tech, etc. I find that a truly sad idea (albeit an interesting one) in that it would presuppose that the humans weren't able to come up with it themselves.
  • Reply 71 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

Your theory is an interesting take on it, but that I can't see something happening that would make them turn on the people in their care given their presumably long period of being their caretakers. Plus they're pretty deep into humans invented Cylons/Cylons went evil storylines.

Well, it's a defensive "creation" on my part to explain away various things in the story thus far, not so much "hey this would be cool if". So if it turns out some other way, great.

As for the above, well it'd be a plot twist to say the least.

Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

As for inventing key tech, etc. I find that a truly sad idea (albeit an interesting one) in that it would presuppose that the humans weren't able to come up with it themselves.

I think of "key tech" in this as basic archetypes for each object, be it gun, book, cigar, business suit...alphabet ....humans could have contributed to the modification and improvements once it's "out there" but always there are Cylon "angels" guiding humanity. Note, that implicit in this is that humans are unwittingly trained as they go and tech introduced only when the time is right.

You could see how an elite group of "angels" might indeed rebel as they see us not living up to the ideal of the "creator" (the Old Ones, so to speak).

Blah blah, just playing...
  • Reply 72 of 85
    Wow johnq, that's a stretch... However, considering the premise that a whole bunch of "toasters" got religion, you may be close to what Moore and company have in mind.

I can't think of any other major sci fi work that featured a God obsessed "race" of non-birthed beings. The new BG deserves praise just for this storyline featue alone.
  • Reply 73 of 85
    Quote:

I can't think of any other major sci fi work that featured a God obsessed "race" of non-birthed beings. The new BG deserves praise just for this storyline featue alone.

"Start Trek, The Motion Picture" rings a bell. It's also somewhat in line with johnq's assessment.
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Remember when Kirk swiped away the dust and V'ger turned out to be Voyager... I snickered so loudly in the theater that everone told to "Shhhhhhh"... Laughable. That first movie had so much potential, oh well.

Back to BG. Boomer capping Adama was a shock and unexpected. I'm glad no one spoiled that for us. Adama (from his point of view) was correct in placing the President under arrest. Now, it should be interesting to see how Baltar is going to snake out of this. He deserves to die...
  • Reply 75 of 85
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    After having just seen the second part of the season finale (6 pm rerun on Space), johnq's theory seems to make some sense. Someone else here (or maybe on Slashdot, I don't know) also mentioned something about how maybe the Cylons discovered earth during their exile, and came back with cloning technology that they got from the humans on earth. If the Cylons designed to look and feel like humans are in fact clones, it would explain what happened to Sharon on Caprica.

johnq's earlier remark about the rebel angels also infers to me that the reason why the Cylons are doing this is indeed because of the fact that these humans just don't shape up to the humans back on earth...

I'm a bit puzzled though as to what #6 shows Gaius near the end (I don't want to give away any spoilers for those who haven't seen it)...is that a representation of what happened to Sharon on Caprica, or is it a result of what happened between #6 and Gaius?
  • Reply 76 of 85
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    She was showing him their offspring.

Of course what is she doing in a human's head? Is she God's messenger, is he insane or do the Cylons have a way of getting into his head? Maybe he has an implant that they hacked?

Stay tuned!
  • Reply 77 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

She was showing him their offspring.

Of course what is she doing in a human's head? Is she God's messenger, is he insane or do the Cylons have a way of getting into his head? Maybe he has an implant that they hacked?

Stay tuned!

There was that episode, whose name I forget, where number 6 got in the heads of everyone on Galactica. It was the one where Balthar was being accused of trechery for setting off a bomb inside the ship, if that rings any bells. I felt the take home message from that whole episode was that the Cylons could indeed infiltrate the computers and the minds of the humans.

So I'd guess that number six has strong telepathic abilities, and that implants don't have anything to do with it.
  • Reply 78 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There was that episode, whose name I forget, where number 6 got in the heads of everyone on Galactica. It was the one where Balthar was being accused of trechery for setting off a bomb inside the ship, if that rings any bells. I felt the take home message from that whole episode was that the Cylons could indeed infiltrate the computers and the minds of the humans.

So I'd guess that number six has strong telepathic abilities, and that implants don't have anything to do with it.

But Adama found an object of her's on the table on Galactica's bridge after she disappeared. I need to see that one again.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I assumed that one was real. I guess it could have been in everyone's head? In fact that makes more sense. I always thought of her as some invention of Balthar's making, either a real or imagined.

Maybe they'll pull a Matrix and wake up in a Cylon holodeck.
  • Reply 80 of 85
    I'll also have to watch that episode again. Considering their (Cylons) cloning capabilities, she was probably real.

At first, I found BBC (Big Blonde Cylon) and Baltar's intense relationship a bit annoying. Upon further review... LOL, the expression on BBC's face as she INTENTLY looks Baltar over is at once sexual, yes, but also loving. Baltar's schizophrenia(whether bio-mechanically or telepathically induced) is also rendered fantastically. Great acting and directing there...