What would you like in a NEW iPod Photo?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

I hope the pull back in iPod Photo availability means an improved implementation of the Photo iPod. As an avid photographer the photo iPod falls short for my needs.

It needs to download full resolution photos directly from my Nikon, (which has a USB port). Even better would be a CF card capable port. Some sort of combo port would be ideal as I use a Sony Memory Stick as well.

Many cameras take mpeg movies, as some even allow them to be as long as capacity allows. imagine a 100 gig Photo iPod that could hold hours of movies. You could shoot a documentary with your digital camera.

Imagine a Photo iPod that can take sills, and make movies with iSight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    I'd like to see a camera.

Since a color screen is expected to be added into the standard line, thus marking the end of the iPod photo, perhaps Apple will add an "iPod camera" model in it's place. I'd pay $100 more for a solid small camera (or $50 more if it was more like a cell phone camera).

Another possibility is a third-party camera attachment. If the Minis and the entire iPod line gain color screens, that's a much larger potential user base than just the iPod photos.

Also: PictBridge.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

crappy quality, expensive, horrendous battery life... need i go on?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    yes a camera in it would be crappy...but thats not the main reason apple wouldnt venture that direction...

a camera in an iPod...we all know thats not very Apple at all. apple devotes its products to simplicity and always has a "make it just get the job done for the consumer" attitude...camera in an iPod.

not until hell freezes over and apple buys sony.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Do camera phones waste a lot of battery life?

The new iPod photo better have some sort of deal where you can put your picture into the library and not just on the drive using that slow-ass belkin contraption.

Also, if h264 is scalable to cell phones, it probably doesn't take that much processing power.

I don't really care what Apple does with it, until they lower the photo into my price range, and considering I already have a 40 gig, it better be really low.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    A lower price. Since I'm waiting until the summer or fall for my major purchases, tomorrow's changes don't directly affect me. They do make me hopeful that the 60GB model will hit $399 by then (assuming it hits $499 tomorrow).
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Also, if h264 is scalable to cell phones, it probably doesn't take that much processing power.

correct, but some anal people here would be pissed if they couldnt plug in the ipod video to an HDTV and have hi def video. 3G quality is probable on an ipod, HD is absurb (for now).
  • Reply 7 of 47
    My idea is:

PictBridge support and a easier /most common method to sync for Windows users- currently PC syncing is wqith Adobe product (No interoperatibility with other imaging software eg. JASC, ACDSee, MS Digital Image,Picasa-a clone of iPhoto)-here's my solution:

many camera's memory cards and other MP3 players appear as mass storage devices (in Explorer), iPhoto photo should do too-similar to how the iPod shuffle might be miunted when used as a flash drive. Sync with other photo organisers (eg. Jasc PSP Photo Album, ACDSee, Microsoft Digital Image Suite's DigitaL Image Suite)-instead of just Adobe products supported.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    I´d like to have Bluetooth in the new iPods ---> iSync :3

Shouldn´t be much of a problem. What about making the iPod some kind of remote for the Mac (like Romeo does for mobile phones)?
  • Reply 9 of 47
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    (1.) Better battery, like a real 10-hour battery maybe

(2.) Less scratch prone case, something that doesn?t scratch when you breathe on it

(3.) Better sound output

(4.) Built in voice recorder

(5.) Have the ability to sync with any iTunes without destroying data on either one.

(6.) Have the ability to see my music in the mounted iPod drive instead of just iTunes
  • Reply 10 of 47
    jwmjwm Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

(1.) Better battery, like a real 10-hour battery maybe

(2.) Less scratch prone case, something that doesn?t scratch when you breathe on it

(3.) Better sound output

(4.) Built in voice recorder

(5.) Have the ability to sync with any iTunes without destroying data on either one.

(6.) Have the ability to see my music in the mounted iPod drive instead of just iTunes

(7.) Crossfade tracks
  • Reply 11 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JWM

(7.) Crossfade tracks

gapless playback is more important I think but yeah come on Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by JWM

(7.) Crossfade tracks

yeah i've been thinking of that for a while

especially if you *ahem* down *cough* load

songs that aren't well ripped/ corrupted at the end
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah i've been thinking of that for a while

especially if you *ahem* down *cough* load

songs that aren't well ripped/ corrupted at the end

Ooohhhh I'm telling Metallica!
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Ooohhhh I'm telling Metallica!

cool i've got a hankering for some Enter Sandman or something like that

*ahem* *fires up LimeWire*
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

I hope the pull back in iPod Photo availability means an improved implementation of the Photo iPod. As an avid photographer the photo iPod falls short for my needs.

It needs to download full resolution photos directly from my Nikon, (which has a USB port). Even better would be a CF card capable port. Some sort of combo port would be ideal as I use a Sony Memory Stick as well.

Many cameras take mpeg movies, as some even allow them to be as long as capacity allows. imagine a 100 gig Photo iPod that could hold hours of movies. You could shoot a documentary with your digital camera.

hi aph, you're a bit ahead of the curve, looks like it...

apple seems to put profit ahead of features

i guess as a publicly traded company, that's what ya do...

....take care!!
  • Reply 16 of 47
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    i would like a firmware update for the OLD iPod (4G) so i could use the new "iPod Camera Connector" to import photo's from my camera. i don't care about photo playback on a 2" screen.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

i would like a firmware update for the OLD iPod (4G) so i could use the new "iPod Camera Connector" to import photo's from my camera. i don't care about photo playback on a 2" screen.

Yea, well I want a legion of winged monkeys to do my bidding but I?m realistic enough to know that I would never be able to take care of them emotionally, so I forgot it. I think you should do the same, forget about it isn?t going happen.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    CHEAPER!

Across all models.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Yea, well I want a legion of winged monkeys to do my bidding but I?m realistic enough to know that I would never be able to take care of them emotionally, so I forgot it. I think you should do the same, forget about it isn?t going happen.

hmmmm, i want those to.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

it will on the iPod photo, there's no difference between the iPod photo today and last week.