iPod Camera Connector revealed at Apple briefing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Representatives from Apple Japan on Friday held a press briefing on the company's new iPod offerings, a couple of tipsters have told AppleInsider. The presentation included a keynote slide with (what appears to be) a photo of Apple?s new iPod Camera Connector.

The device, which was previously described by Apple vice president Greg Joswiak, looks like a small port convertor, approximately 2-inch is length and an inch or so in width. It connects to the base of the iPod photo through the Dock connector. On the other end is a female USB port for connecting a digital camera. The iPod Camera Connector is expected to be available in late March for $29.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Does the job, but shouldn't Apple really be including this in the box if it is an iPod photo? I guess that is why they downplay the photo text on the box now, as the iPod photo will eventually be the regular iPod it looks like.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Does the job, but shouldn't Apple really be including this in the box if it is an iPod photo? I guess that is why they downplay the photo text on the box now, as the iPod photo will eventually be the regular iPod it looks like.

I think that the Photo thing is a fringe benifit, the real advantage is the color display for enrichment of the UI and cover art for ITMS, give it till Jan 06, all ipods and minis will have color display and none will bear the photo name unless apple tosses in the adapter in the highest end model.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Is USB sufficient for the people who would have a real use for this?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have that camera in the photo. It has a nice color screen for reviewing the photographs.

Why would I need the iPod photo again? Looks like a bunch of hassle to carry around to snap pictures.

A simple card reader would be sufficient. I hate to say it but that looks like a gimic.

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 44
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I have that camera in the photo. It has a nice color screen for reviewing the photographs.

Why would I need the iPod photo again? Looks like a bunch of hassle to carry around to snap pictures.

A simple card reader would be sufficient. I hate to say it but that looks like a gimic.

Eric

You could offload the pics from your card to the iPod Photo, then wipe the card and continue to shoot more pictures. That's the real value.

Still, I would prefer a card reader vs. a camera connector so I wouldn't have to use up my camera's batteries transferring pics to the iPod.

Of course, I only have a 2G iPod so the issue is moot for me.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    The possibility to offload the photos from the card is a BIG value. You don't need to carry your PowerBook with you when you are on a vocation.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shadow

The possibility to offload the photos from the card is a BIG value. You don't need to carry your PowerBook with you when you are on a vocation.

Do they not make a card reader already for the ipod? I guess this would be a big deal for those who have wierd cards I guess.

Eric
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Is USB sufficient for the people who would have a real use for this?

of course. whatever reader they use right now is probably usb anyways. the real difference is the horrendous speed of the iPod's hard drive. I'm sure its fine for photos, but its not going to be some miraculously fast transfer.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

of course. whatever reader they use right now is probably usb anyways. the real difference is the horrendous speed of the iPod's hard drive. I'm sure its fine for photos, but its not going to be some miraculously fast transfer.

The iPods HDs are not slower than the original iMacs and current iBooks. Although it does take a while to play some songs on my iPod. The Belkin media reader is slow. Apple want to reach the most people so if they have a USB connector anyone's media card can be used but also you don;t have to open up your camera etc which keeps the cards clean and makes it a lot less fiddly.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

The iPods HDs are not slower than the original iMacs and current iBooks. Although it does take a while to play some songs on my iPod. The Belkin media reader is slow. Apple want to reach the most people so if they have a USB connector anyone's media card can be used but also you don;t have to open up your camera etc which keeps the cards clean and makes it a lot less fiddly.

my frame of reference on HD speeds is in video, so 4200rpm is really borderline. like i said, for photos, it's fine. but not for any video thats dv resolution or higher. yes, someone is gonna post and say "but i edit videos on my blahblah 4200rpm drive." i know you can, but its slow and crappy.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

my frame of reference on HD speeds is in video, so 4200rpm is really borderline. like i said, for photos, it's fine. but not for any video thats dv resolution or higher. yes, someone is gonna post and say "but i edit videos on my blahblah 4200rpm drive." i know you can, but its slow and crappy.

you said it was slow for USB transfer - I think not!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Still, I would prefer a card reader vs. a camera connector so I wouldn't have to use up my camera's batteries transferring pics to the iPod.

I wonder if we can just use a usb card reader attached to the iPod connecter? If iPhoto recognizes the card reader, then hopefully an iPod will.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    great,....so the three people that bought an iPod photo now have an extra device to buy.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reykjavik

great,....so the three people that bought an iPod photo now have an extra device to buy.

$30 isn't hugely expensive when compared to the price of an iPod Photo. Besides, it's new!
  • Reply 15 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    it's such a simpel port converter, i am surprised griffin or someone didn't already think fo this and beat apple to the punch. couldn't other vendors do the same thing and undercut apple by a few bucks? or is there something i am missing here?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

I wonder if we can just use a usb card reader attached to the iPod connecter? If iPhoto recognizes the card reader, then hopefully an iPod will.

That is a good question. If anybody wants to buy me an iPod Photo i will spring for the adapter and write a nice long (~7 pages) report for them.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Does the job, but shouldn't Apple really be including this in the box if it is an iPod photo?

The iPod Photo is for SHOWING Photos, just like it is for PLAYING music.

Anything else is outside the core purpose of the device. Everyone likes top SHOW photos. Few people actually have a camera-capacity problem that another flash card won't solve.

This adapter has its niche, but it's nothing to do with the Photo's intended function.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

it's such a simpel port converter, i am surprised griffin or someone didn't already think fo this and beat apple to the punch. couldn't other vendors do the same thing and undercut apple by a few bucks? or is there something i am missing here?

Yes. Software within the iPod to a) import the images and b) prepare them as thumbnails and integrate them into the UI.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    could you use it with other ipods (e.g. ipod, ipod mini, etc.)?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Well, the software inside the ipod is already present, and was functional on before the ipod photo with the belkin media reader.

It seems like the ipod just needs the proper drivers for the media reader for it to work through this adaptor (dock plug to female usb plug)