Does Tiger have "under the hood" improvments in wifi and finder performance?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I can't say i care that much about most of the features Tiger will introduce, but i have to say i'm hoping it will improve airport extreme wireless performance....

has anyone heard comments re., an improvement in wireless range and signal strength with Tiger developer builds?

Also, is there a noticeable improvement in finder responsiveness?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by gcarswell

I can't say i care that much about most of the features Tiger will introduce, but i have to say i'm hoping it will improve airport extreme wireless performance....

has anyone heard comments re., an improvement in wireless range and signal strength with Tiger developer builds?

Thanks!

1) This is pure speculation, I'm basing this off published information about Tiger.

2) You should care a great deal about Core Data. That's a massive, cool feature.

3) Very doubtfull that software would have an effect on wireless performance.

4) The upgraded GCC 4.0 compiler used by and with Tiger generates faster code. That may, by itself, speed up Finder.

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 46
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    The writer of this article claims her wireless range was better, with Tiger.

http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=571_0_1_0_M
  • Reply 3 of 46
    hdcoolhdcool Posts: 48member
    I hope finder gets better.. yesterday something really annoying happened:

I copied 150 avi movieclips over the network in the wrong folder.. instead of in a folder on the desktop, i put them all on the desktop... Finder just crashed, it couldn't handle it.

I restarted Finder, just the same, unresponsive.

Rebooted the system, still the same as soon as i tried to start finder or tried to click one of those files...

Luckily there was the terminal where I could rm -rf those files... and put them in the right place (that folder on the desktop, where strangely enough, finder has no problems with.....)

Not good!

Imagine a switcher who doesn't know unix commands on the terminal, he or she would have to go to a store or some technician and pay.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think the Finder is improved, but don't expect big changes. Some of the smaller, subtler annoyances have been addressed IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Ditto. If you find the OS X Finder a conceptual disaster, Siracusa-style, Tiger isn't going to change your tune.

But Tiger's Finder does address some (all? probably not) of the worst crashing/beachballing bugs, adds a few enhancements (finally, live updating on the desktop!), folds in Spotlight, and seems to have somewhat better threading.

From what I've seen, I found it modestly but significantly improved. Spotlight is the real star in Tiger.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Yeah the finder really needs a ton more threads. I want to know why it pauses while my HDs are spinning up, and why it likes to crash so often.

Apple should just do a full rewrite and be done with it. Perhaps write it in Cocoa? I know Cocoa/Carbon shouldn't matter, but currently the Carbon Finder is a technological showpiece demonstrating why Carbon sucks.

I still think Apple needs some more customizing utilities for the dock. For example, a dock menu builder that sets up folders full of aliases, hierarchically organized by the user, and installed on the LEFT side of the dock. Provide a set of icons to label the folders. This would really help switchers and computer illiterate users who want an Apple menu/Start menu, but don't understand how to make their own with the dock.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    I see the Dock as a place for your running apps, and a few apps you open so often they might as well be there. Plus a place to show very useful status notification (Mail badges, RSS newsfeed articles, iCal date, Photoshop progress bar, etc), access Dock menus, have the ability to drag and drop files into, and so forth.

For launching apps, Spotlight (QS/LB/etc) just does a much better job. It's faster, more transparent, and smarter. I mean, the user is free to go and arrange one's collections of Dockable items if one wants to, but IMO there's no comparison.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i've honestly not had many problems at all with finder. with the addition of spotlight, it'll be perfect. i've had finder hang on me maybe 5 times in the last year.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Text launchers are nice, and some people really dig them, but for many users a GUI is the way to go without having to type anything.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Text launchers are nice, and some people really dig them, but for many users a GUI is the way to go without having to type anything.

For the moment, that's true. I think that's going to change, though, once people become accustomed to using Spotlight, and how easy Apple's made it to get the Spotlight field... and how much less trouble it is than setting up your own super-tweaked, custom system.

But I agree it's good to have options. It'll be interesting to see how well Spotlight for launching apps (or just in general) catches on.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    This is pure craziness, but I believe that Apple hasn't rewritten the Finder because there has been a plan from the beginning to phase out the Finder in a future version. Spotlight is Phase One. They'll slowly lead us until the Finder is almost obsolete and then remove it completely.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    The only issues I've ever had w/ the finder is a similar problem where i was using a Wacom mouse under an earlier version of 10.x that didn't have great support for it... it would intermitantly "release" drags for no reason. It did it one day while dragging about 250 fonts to a folder... as I passed the cursor over the desktop... it released on its own... dropping all 250 fonts onto (into?) the desktop.

I cannot recall exactly what I had to do to get it back to working correctly, but I remember being irked that it froze-up on me.

Wait... now that I think of it... there's another bug I encountered where if I had more than "X" number of things (I "think" that was the culprit) on my desktop and tried to marquis a bunch of them and move them... the finder would relaunch on it's own. I had to clear the desktop via a finder window one file at a time. I use my desktop as "temporary" space... a holding place for files that I may-or-may-not keep. I don't want to put them in my drives that I routinely back-up and waste space... but don't want to delete them yet until I'm done... kinda like transient files...

Anyhow... It's been a while since I encountered any real Finder issues. But I agree that any improvements are welcome.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Finder needs to have each Window on its own thread. Problems come mainly with networking quirks and QuickTime previews in column mode. Accidentally click on the wrong movie and sometimes the whole Finder goes down. Maybe they should put each QuickTime preview in its own thread? That'd be convenient.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Wireless stability seems greatly improved, also more options, such as sharing wireless (when your connection is wireless already), option to "disconnect" from wireless network, and a few other features. Overall it seems more stable. Since I mostly use a laptop all day, I use airport extreme everyday.

Quote:

Originally posted by gcarswell

Thanks!

• Reply 15 of 46
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Is it Dock aware? I hate when things, like desktop icons go behind the dock. Stupid design.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Is it Dock aware? I hate when things, like desktop icons go behind the dock. Stupid design.

my desktop items never go behind the dock. try setting the organization again.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    a little question about spotlight: do i get the possibility to jump to the spotlight search field with a simple key-combination? like qs or lb? that would be great!!
  • Reply 18 of 46
    aacaac Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by saschke

a little question about spotlight: do i get the possibility to jump to the spotlight search field with a simple key-combination? like qs or lb? that would be great!!

When you press Command+Spacebar you get the small spotlight search field, and when you press Command+Option+Spacebar you get the big spotlight window.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hdcool

Not good!

Imagine a switcher who doesn't know unix commands on the terminal, he or she would have to go to a store or some technician and pay.

As a dual-user (I need visio and studio.net for school) I do find the finder to be a little sluggish, particularly when the desktop is loaded with ~70 files on there (freeware installers add up fast in a serious version tracker session heh) but the most annoying part is that it started stacking icons on top of "Macintosh HD" when the desktop wasnt even 3/4 full! wtf is that...and icon placement in the finder window is just pathetic, they by default are scattered with no logic to the scatter...what is wrong with having everything in nice neat rows...not unchamgable...but for scattering to be DEFAULT?????Why???

PS...the Three colomn heirarctical veiw is amazing - I wish that I could do that in windows...
  • Reply 20 of 46
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My Finder does one minute hangs upon disconnecting Samba shares. Not Good.

The icons do indeed go under the Dock. Mine is usually at the right side, pinned up.