Updated Apple Power Mac G5 systems en route to company stores

Comments

• Reply 41 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Hitch's dad had him locked up when he was really young, just to see what it was like. Just for a few minutes, the idea being to keep him out of trouble later.

His movies were so visceral I think because he rode his early experiences like a cat stalking over a samurai blade, never afraid to explore the horrifying immediacy of evil.

Speaking of the "immediacy of evil." I fear the the immediacy of mediocrity at the moment, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Interesting. Now that you mentioned it, I seem to remember something about it. Maybe it was that interview.
  • Reply 42 of 185
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Here is my thoughts. A 200MHz upgrade after a years wait sucks. \

2¢ for Apple

$7000.00 for someone else.
  • Reply 43 of 185
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Screw the hardware people ...it's Tiger that you want. The hardware is dumb and rigid by comparison.
  • Reply 44 of 185
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Then this just shows stupid marketing/hardware development on Apple's side. Who's going to upgrade from any current tower to the new ones without some reason. Dual core would be a reason. Maybe 3GHz would be a reason. PCIe would definitely be a reason. But this is just another "Hey, look at us! We can't get better chips from IBM, and we don't want to spend any of our money actually trying to make the current systems better, so we're just going to take our original 2-year old machine, slap a couple extra megs of RAM in there, maybe boost the video card, and call it an upgrade.

Do you really expect people to upgrade machines that they just bought last year? Who on EARTH replaces machines on such a schedule?

Quote:

Its like taking a 2003 Civic, sticking in a slightly more powerful engine, upgrading the CD player from 4 to 6 discs, and saying its a 2005 model. Sorry, I don't buy it (and no one else will, either).

You do realize, of course, that that's precisely the type of "upgrade" car manufacturers do most often. They don't redesign the car from the ground up every year-- they make small changes most years & total redesigns every 5-6 years or so... This criticism & analogy is just... odd.

[...]

Quote:

I can't understand it either. why drop the 9800 and go with 9600 and 9650 boards?

Huh? drop the 9800? The standard video card in the current top end machine is a 9600 XT, and the others have nVidia 5200s. What makes you say they're dropping the 9800?

Quote:

At least put 1Gig RAM in the top machine.

Agreed. Actually, the bottom machines should have 1GB, and the top machine 2GB. At least that way they could somewhat justify what they're going to charge for them...
  • Reply 45 of 185
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Why are you guys in such a slump? In my thread about Apples hardware future looking gloomy you all had hope....some how I knew this would happen
  • Reply 46 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

Huh? drop the 9800? The standard video card in the current top end machine is a 9600 XT, and the others have nVidia 5200s. What makes you say they're dropping the 9800?

[/B]

I should have been clearer. The 9800 board was an option. It isn't any longer. It's gone.

My point was that it should have been used for the top machine, or at least retained as an option.
  • Reply 47 of 185
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    We all know that Apple likes to make a statement with their products. Well it's becoming evidient that just having Dual-Core and PCI-Express wasn't enough for Apple.

I'm know convinced that the next revision after tomorrows will have you all dancing on your keyboards and drooling down your shirts.

It's likely that the timing just wasn't right now.
  • Reply 48 of 185
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm know convinced that the next revision after tomorrows will have you all dancing on your keyboards and drooling down your shirts.

Um... Would that be drooling down our shirts in a good way or a bad way?
  • Reply 49 of 185
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

It's likely that the timing just wasn't right now.

Probably. Problem is, that's like a year away (announced at Macworld in Jan. 2006...shipping in March/April ). At which time PCs will probably be at 4.5 GHZ/dual core/ etc etc etc.

The only good thing about this is that apple stock will dip and we'll all be able to buy more.
  • Reply 50 of 185
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

2¢ for Apple

Question: how much is the puketastic update worth? I.e. what are you willing to pay for a single core 2.7, no PCIe, 9600? (Assuming you could actually bring yourself to go through with the purchase of this underwhelmer.)

Onlooker was first with $.02 but he would admit this was a 'spite bid'.

I'll bid a bit more, say $1799; I think that's generous. Anyone else higher, lower?
  • Reply 51 of 185
    Forget processor speeds and types for the moment. That's out of Apple's hands.

The question is, what else can they do in the meantime?

Keeping in mind that the machines cost a certain amount to manufacture, and that a free-fall in pricing isn't about to happen.
  • Reply 52 of 185
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Question: how much is the puketastic update worth? I.e. what are you willing to pay for a single core 2.7, no PCIe, 9600? (Assuming you could actually bring yourself to go through with the purchase of this underwhelmer.)

Onlooker was first with $.02 but he would admit this was a 'spite bid'.

I'll bid a bit more, say $1799; I think that's generous. Anyone else higher, lower?

I would accept $2,699 for a Dual 2.7 with a gig of ram and a graphics card that'll make Motion run nice. If the Dual 2.7 comes in at the $,2999 price without same damn good justification, Apple will just be retarded. And they better sell the Dual 2Ghz at $1,799. Sad sad sad. I had hoped that, with this being the 2 year mark, we'd be seeing the "big" update. I've got a lot of people I told to hold off on Powermac purchases until this revision, and sadly I'm going to have to tell them to wait longer unless they really need the machine now (and they don't).

You never want to recommend the last revision of a product's life to someone who only upgrades every 3-4 years.
  • Reply 53 of 185
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    aye, I upgrade about every 3-4 years. and need a powermac NOW.

if these update roll up, and then at wwdc even better powermacs are announced, am going to be pissed!
  • Reply 54 of 185
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

aye, I upgrade about every 3-4 years. and need a powermac NOW.

if these update roll up, and then at wwdc even better powermacs are announced, am going to be pissed!

That's a tough situation, needing it and wanting to wait for the big revision. Nobody wants to be the guy that bought the Dual 1.42Ghz Leafblower G4 before the Whisperquiet Dual 2Ghz G5 came out, or the 1.25Ghz Sunflower iMac before the 1.8Ghz G5 iMac came out. When Apple goes for the big revision, it's always leaves a considerable gap between it and the generation it replaces. Mostly just because as a product's life rounds down, Apple really neglects it. The bitches.
  • Reply 55 of 185
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

All three versions reportedly sport new dual-layer DVD burners.

They'll be the same ones that are fitted to the current machines?
  • Reply 56 of 185
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

They'll be the same ones that are fitted to the current machines?

I believe you'll get a Pioneer DVR-A09 16x, dual layer DVD burner. Which is not current BTW.

Quote:

Screw the hardware people ...it's Tiger that you want. The hardware is dumb and rigid by comparison.

Sorry hm. Tiger is what you want. I need the kind of performance, and upgradeability that Tiger, and a dual 2.7GHz Macintosh can't offer. Not from what the reports say anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 185
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

you're partially right, tiger is really looking great and it's way good enough to make me not think about switching. but it takes a little more to make me shell out $3000. apple should have have announced minor upgrades a few months ago (i know it's not as easy as just announcing products). but the current product cycle makes me hope they just skipped the 'lets keep our customers happy until the real updates are ready' release.
  • Reply 58 of 185
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

I'd like to wake up Tuesday morning and find no mention of new PMs on Apple's site. Why bother?

Why not put faster CPUs in the models if they have them? Should they just sit on them?

What if IBM has dumped the 1.8GHz model?
  • Reply 59 of 185
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    How much is the dual 2Ghz going to be? $2000+ and I'll pass, 1600 -1800 and Apples got them selves a sale. I'm in no big hurry though, my new dual HP xw8200 3.6Ghz Xeon is friggen insane quick. I would still like to compliment it with a Powermac though, here's hoping Apple will be nice about their pricing this time around, pppssyeeaaah right.
  • Reply 60 of 185
    telekontelekon Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

If this really is the best we can expect from Apple at this point, I think it would be wise of them to drop the price by $100-$200 across the board... Maybe you'll be able to pick up that dual 2GHz for LESS than you were going to spend on the dual 1.8.

I don't think Apple really cares what we get and what price we pay, as long as they can CALL it new and improved. The fact that their pro desktops are about $700 over-priced and feature sub-standard video cards, a terrible lack of system expansion (excluding USB / FW devices) and that god-awful front panel mesh design which serves as a great second vacuum cleaner, doesn't even cross their minds...

I like Apple, and have used their machines for 20 years but this is frankly a little too disappointing!