Official iTunes country flags confirm at least 5 new music stores

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer's official iTunes Music Store server (Phobos) is now hosting iTunes flag icons for five new and unannounced locations, corroborating reports that the iPod maker plans to extend its music download service to new countries on April 28th, the second anniversary of the service.

Flag images for Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Norwary, and Denmark are now accessible (shown above). Apple recently announced that iTunes users have downloaded over 350 million iTunes since the inception of the iTunes Music Store on April 28th, 2003. The company is now selling tunes at a rate of 435 million per year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    All the flags for the "new" iTMS are now no longer visible!

*insert excessive expletives here*

Hopefully its routine before upping the stores or they are just screwing with us!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    We're there kids.

Snapped a few minutes ago. Some guy in Wangaratta managed to purchase a song with an Australian credit card. For $1.69. Well you know it couldn't be all good news!

Click on his name (Chris Howard) in this article if you want to believe.

Oh yeah, of course I clicked change store. And in answer to the next question, no.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    well, looks like its definately on its way!

Plus, I love your signature... my dad used to sing that to me when I was a kid.... hours of hilarity ensued!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

What did you click on to get that warning pop-up?

Plus, I love your signature... my dad used to sing that to me when I was a kid.... hours of hilarity ensued!

You must be excited. You're obviously paying no attention at all. Click on the name "Chris Howard" in the article linked above.

But I've got a better one now. Go to iTMS. Go up to the search box and select Power Search (it might work with other searches but that's what I tried). Search for something (something you know or is likely to be in iTMS). Voilá! That's Australian moolah. Tried to buy but because I haven't purchased before it sends me to review my info. First page that comes up is the Terms of Service except they're not up yet. When I click agree, it says "An error occurred. iTMS could not process your request please try again later."

I don't know if that's how some people have managed to buy songs already or not. If it is, they've either closed the hole or I haven't figured out the way round it yet. Somebody at AN reckons they've bought stuff too. Or it could just be the same guy from Wangaratta.

An Oz iTMS page is ready to fire up on apple.com.au too.

Soon. Very soon. I'm over the $1.69 thing already.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Yeah, sorry man... didnt read your post properly until after I posted the dumb-ass question..... did a quick rush job on the edit to save face but you had already seen my screw-up!

b.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Your a gun mate... top find!!

Yeah, $1.69 is a bit steep but hell.... we have iTMS (almost!)
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Looks like the powerseach is back to registering US amounts... tried it a few times and it shows up $0.99 now.....

The is definately some testing going on at Apple so it cant be far away now.

Im going to sleep..... IF I can sleep... its like Xmas!

b.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

Your a gun mate... top find!!

Yeah, $1.69 is a bit steep but hell.... we have iTMS (almost!)

But it looks like $16.99 is pretty standard for albums which isn't too shabby. Maybe a good thing not to get in. At appletalk.com.au some who did (including the Wangaratta guy!) have since had their accounts blocked. Grumpy Apple.

They seem to think the store's opening is going to be delayed (oh surely not! ) Didn't read the whole thread but some seem to be saying they think them slipping into the store cloak and dager style (they did it by the phobos page, forgot about that one) may be the cause. I find that a bit of a stretch though.

Edit: I'm still getting Oz prices

• Reply 9 of 27
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    It's odd. My mate works for Next Byte here in Sydney and last night he went to the official Apple unveiling of Tiger. At the unveiling they also mentioned that overnight there would be PowerMac upgrades... but they never once mentioned the AusiTMS.

Which leaves me wondering why they wouldn't? It was only theie own resellers in the room. Surely they would give them the heads ujp less than 24 hours before it's launch. I can't help but feel like we are heading for a really disappointing day.

iDunno
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Im beginning to think like you mate..... Its 2.30pm and nothing....

Was last night a dream?

Anyway, if Apple screws me again I will be looking around to recruit an unholy army to march on 1 Infinite Loop....

or my nearest Apple store if I cant afford the plane ticket

Are you IN?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    I am most certainly IN!

I had already worked out which songs would be my first downloads... had my credit card all ready....

But now...!!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Ok thats it.....

Are you sick an tired of getting your hopes up for a certain "legal" store to download music on to your "hip" mp3 (or AAC) music player..... Would you like, for once in your life, to be able to wake up on a certain day (28th April) and see this said Music Store fully operational...

If this sounds like you then join the

Australian Peoples' Liberation Front for iTunes Music Store to be finally released Down Under

VIVA LA APLFFiTMSTBFRDU!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Nothing here in Sweden either, yet. 8:37 AM
  • Reply 14 of 27
    And dont forget our European friends who are still under the tyranny of no iTMS.....

A big hello to our brothers and sisters fighting in Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark..

Hang in there guys.....
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I feel like going out and downloading every single song I could ever want... and every song I don't want, ILLEGALLY! Just to show my disappointment in not being provided with a legal way of downloading music from Apple!
  • Reply 16 of 27
    halijanhalijan Posts: 24member
    i am absolutely devestated. Im all for the liberation. This is bloody stupid, the amount of false alarms we've had about a Aussie iTMS. STOP SCREWING WITH US APPLE
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Alright, now listen people, just keep your shirts on here, stay calm and think this through logically. What we know:

1. Russell and Bexta (who?) said it's coming. Does this give the rumours any credence? Not a jot. When Russell started blabbing it was almost enough to convince me it wasn't coming.

2. However, we have the message window above. That didn't just get there by chance. Someone had to put it there.

3. We have benjamin and myself having seen the pages with the Australian prices, the sign in window that mentioned Australia, and the Terms of Service that also referenced Australia with our own eyes (it's gone now for me). Again, they didn't get there by magic. This ain't no Oz iTMS mentioned on Apple Japan's website. This is major stuff with a direct line to the mothership. And it's the sort of shenanigans that have gone on before previous launches.

4. One or more people got in by a backdoor that is a known entry point, bought songs, lived to tell the tale, and got their accounts blocked. They've been told to go to Apple UK to get them unblocked. That is a bit odd but doesn't outweigh the other evidence. And comiserations to them because it could be a bit uncomfortable explaining themselves although I don't think what they did was illegal.

5. We have the flag sighting.

6. We have Oz iTMS links at apple.com.au that go to a 404. That's cool.

It's on its way there is no doubt about it but with a few provisos:

- Firstly, there could be a last minute major snafu. That is, the record companies pull out for some reason (it's clearly been a tricky deal to negotiate) or Steve has one of his turns and pulls out. Both unlikely at this point in time, I think. Contracts have obviusly been signed so they're over the arguing, and pulling out now would almost certainly result in an expensive breach of contract law suit for one or other party.

- Steve got shitty because of Russell's big mouth and thought "I'll show you Crowe!" Maybe. But despite his famous petulance, Steve's no dummy, I'm sure he pays as little heed to Russell as the rest of us. Especially, rock star Russell.

- The rumours about the date were wrong. Keep in mind, Russell said it would be today, bexta (who?) said within a month. I have no idea who bexta is but given a choice between Russell Crowe and a complete unknown, I have to side with the unknown.

- I didn't read it closely but the folks at appletalk were going on about there being reports of a delay (reported by the SMH that it would be a week late, IIRC). Whatever the reason, another week isn't going to make any difference after all this time. I'm busy with other stuff at present. Why don't one of you choof over to appletalk and see what the deal is with the delay. You'll need to register to view their forums but no biggie. Or at least, go check Google news for the delay story. Go on. You can't expect me to do all the dirty work.

The local Apple Stores really don't need to know. They're not involved. I thought the day before the Tiger release was a bit odd myself. The media here won't pay much heed to Tiger but they'll report iTMS opening. To open the day before Tiger would mean a press that is already not very interested in Apple's latest OS would be even more distracted. What is more important to Apple? Tiger or Oz iTMS? If you said Tiger, give yourself an elephant stamp. I'd have thought the same day might have been the go. "Hello Australian media and welcome to the launch of our groovy music store you've heard so much about. While you're here let us show you Tiger, the latest version of Mac OS."

So, feeling better? Hey I just thought of something else and I have a vague memory this has caught people out before. When it's April 29 in Sydney, what date is it in San Francisco? It's on sale at 6 pm but when are the press events? I bet about mid afternoon. So it's what date in SF?

To be honest, I don't think I can come at crappy 128 kbps. I might buy the odd song here and there but really 128 kbps versus CD quality for virtually the same price? Bugger that for a joke.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    I have considered the price of a full cd a bit steep myself. Why pay $16ish, when I can go to target or Big W and get the cd for $21ish? Makes no sense.

But it will be good for the odd song that you want to get without gettting the entire album.

I had really wanted it purely because I am currently living in Adelaide out of a suitcase while I am here for work. And I don't want to buy any cd's as they equal more luggage to carry around. Oh well. Looks like more luggage it will be until this damn AusiTMS site launches.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    so where is the swedish itms then? afternoon already and no news...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Well thank *insert favourite omnipotent diety here* that good old "Crazy" is here to calm us all the frig down!

You make a lot of sense old mate..... I for one just want it to hurry up so I can stop thinking about it and start concentrating on other more "important" things!

Anyway... one week is nothing compared with the months and months we have had to endure.......

but I still stand strong on the Australian People's Liberation Front for iTunes Music store to finaly be opened Down Under...

We will be victorious!