Poll: When Will We See Dual-Core 970MP "antares?" And Next Gen G5 chips?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
WWDC seems killer for this sort of stuff. It will clearly say Apple has conquered the lower end, and is going to play hardball in the G5 dual-core arena.



dual-cpu dual-core powermac G5s



single-cpu powerBook G5 single/dual core??



let's speculate..



edit1:

if nothing comes out until the end of the year, it should be a clear signal that AAPL is going to go very very niche with their Power-range
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,257member
    WWDC is likely to be nothing but software.



    I think that we don't see a Powermac refresh until MWSF 2006.



    While Dual-Core gets our techie propellerheads going we Mac users who are already accustomed to dual processors won't notice a difference unless Apple gives us 4 cores total. Thus Apple waiting until next January isn't a huge deal.



    I don't think they will piss off current PM buyers by announcing new computers in 6 months or less. That would be bad PR.



    Waiting until January gives Apple the time to make sure they have excellent new hardware. There will be some surprises I'm sure. I just can't forsee what the next "big thing" will be.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    WWDC is likely to be nothing but software.



    I think that we don't see a Powermac refresh until MWSF 2006.



    While Dual-Core gets our techie propellerheads going we Mac users who are already accustomed to dual processors won't notice a difference unless Apple gives us 4 cores total. Thus Apple waiting until next January isn't a huge deal.



    I don't think they will piss off current PM buyers by announcing new computers in 6 months or less. That would be bad PR.



    Waiting until January gives Apple the time to make sure they have excellent new hardware. There will be some surprises I'm sure. I just can't forsee what the next "big thing" will be.




    well thanks for renewing my faith a little in the Power and Xserve side of things. all the whining (including by myself sometimes ) gets to you...



    actually, if the "next g5" doesn't see some action until January, i think that gives apple a huge chance to plan almost 3 quarters ahead and ride off a productive christmas quarter.



    this would give them a chance to bring out this "next big thing" and leapfrog the competition in some way... with iTMS, iMac, iPod, Mac Mini and Tiger and Video software driving revenue, isee how they're biding their time till end of this year, should they be doing that...



    edit: while i do get off to some extent imagining a dual-dual g5, right now my concern is more towards obscurity and brand damage to apple... sometimes the windows intel and amd blaring noises hurt my ears
  • Reply 3 of 84
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    edit: while i do get off to some extent imagining a dual-dual g5, right now my concern is more towards obscurity and brand damage to apple... sometimes the windows intel and amd blaring noises hurt my ears



    Just unzip your pant's and show'em your big Apple. That will shutt them up, if it doesn't just tell "go update your virus defintions LOOSER".
  • Reply 4 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,257member
    Hmmmm speaking of "Big Things" some of the things I look forward to not that I expect them to come quickly.





    802.11n- This needs to come asap but it's looking like late 2006 before the final spec is ratified. There are plenty of Pre-N or other half-baked solutions out now. I just want the unified format. I hope Apple's next Airport slot will support "11n" when it comes. That's probably the first wireless products I'll buy.



    Cell processing- now that people see the amount of power it takes to crunch HD AVC. I think it will be interesting to see what approaches can be down with cell technology. Whether it be a STB or hybrid cell/G5 system.



    HDTV Convergence- I'd like to see more widescreen LCDs conforming to standard HD resolutions so that working with a computer or video is a seamless affair. In addition computer support for HDMI and HDCP(broadcast HDTV copy protection) would go a long way towards turning Macs into capable Hometheatre PC(HTPC).



    Quadra Powermacs- Bring BACK the Quadra name!!! It would be great for nostalgia and speeeeeeeed. Let's show what OS X can do with more than two processors. Let's show what Mac apps can do. Motherboards are becoming more efficient with the use of serial technology for PCI and hard drives(Express and ATA). Yet more complex with the need for bridges and more motherboard integration and SLI.





    This is what techies love though. We're waiting to be wowed again. We're waiting to save our money for that next big beast of a Powermac. Bring it to us.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    The poll is missing Apple Expo 2005 - September in Paris which would be four months after this revision. Would a perfect time. This revision was rather lackluster for one year.



    Screed
  • Reply 6 of 84
    xsmixsmi Posts: 127member
    It's also missing WWDC 2006. Other than Seybold, that is about the only "Pro" show that Apple really has a big presence in.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison



    While Dual-Core gets our techie propellerheads going we Mac users who are already accustomed to dual processors won't notice a difference unless Apple gives us 4 cores total. Thus Apple waiting until next January isn't a huge deal.





    This is indeed a possibility. However, in the case where Apple can release a dual core G5 processor Power Mac with two processors (for four cores total), one question arises: price point. I am wondering how Apple will decide to market such a machine, according to hardware (which would give a little more expensive machine than today's top Power Mac), or according to performance on multithreaded software (which would skyrocket the price).
  • Reply 8 of 84
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hmm can't edit the poll (only mods can) so we're stuck with the 4 options that's there now...
  • Reply 9 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,257member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    This is indeed a possibility. However, in the case where Apple can release a dual core G5 processor Power Mac with two processors (for four cores total), one question arises: price point. I am wondering how Apple will decide to market such a machine, according to hardware (which would give a little more expensive machine than today's top Power Mac), or according to performance on multithreaded software (which would skyrocket the price).





    In any situation where it's feasible that someone look at clustering with Xgrid you'd find a customer that would love to look at a "Quadra" Powermac. It's far cheaper to add a couple more cores that it is to add a whole 'nother computer. Money isn't always the issue. Space is. In fact Apple would to well to create a Powermac Rack, basically a 2U Xserve will full PCIX-PCI-Express.



    If the Powermacs are to keep their "workstation" sobriquet then they have to earn that designation. Currently home computers are approaching the specs of Workstations. It's time to turn of the wick and blow'em away.



    You do this buy integrating technology that allows pros to utilize their CPU where "they" need it most. Add dual Gigabit TOE NIC and beefy GPU as standard configs. Quad Processing is the way to go for the Pro who is crunching a lot of data. IBM should have a handle on fabbing the 970MP over the latter half of 2005 ready for a massive launch in 2006 with all Powermacs being Quads(I'm dreaming but there's a slight possibility)
  • Reply 10 of 84
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    In any situation where it's feasible that someone look at clustering with Xgrid you'd find a customer that would love to look at a "Quadra" Powermac. It's far cheaper to add a couple more cores that it is to add a whole 'nother computer. Money isn't always the issue. Space is. In fact Apple would to well to create a Powermac Rack, basically a 2U Xserve will full PCIX-PCI-Express.



    If the Powermacs are to keep their "workstation" sobriquet then they have to earn that designation. Currently home computers are approaching the specs of Workstations. It's time to turn of the wick and blow'em away.



    You do this buy integrating technology that allows pros to utilize their CPU where "they" need it most. Add dual Gigabit TOE NIC and beefy GPU as standard configs. Quad Processing is the way to go for the Pro who is crunching a lot of data. IBM should have a handle on fabbing the 970MP over the latter half of 2005 ready for a massive launch in 2006 with all Powermacs being Quads(I'm dreaming but there's a slight possibility)




    speaking of "workstations" hmurchinson do you see those beefy GPUs having quality openGL support equal to their PC counterparts as very important (in CAD/CAM, 3D, game development (xbox2??), etc.. etc..



    just thinkin' aloud here...
  • Reply 11 of 84
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    There's an option missing from the poll. I'd add a special event in October or November. The PM line needs a major kick in the pants with lots of hype focusing the next generation. WWDC? Fuhgeddabowdit! MWSF, maybe but that'd be just one more thing in the consumer-oriented expo. Nope, I think this would call for a special event before the end of the year, I hope.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,257member
    Sunil



    Yep. There was a recent post where Apple was looking for an OpenGL savvy engineer. We should see OpenGL 2.0 inserted into 10.4.x hopefully by years end but who knows. I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is holding off on having FireGL and Quadro cards until they have full OGL 2.0 support.



    I really think Apple should have a 2U Xserve. It is better than sawing off the handles on a G5 case now.



    I'm going to keep saying this until i'm blue in the face. Apple should buy Luxology. Why else would they demo so much on Apple hardware? If you saw the Nexus Renderer you'd agree that it's one of the better excuses to run Xgrid. Luxology has a nice process where they can keep a lot of code cross platform but still take advantage of core OS features in many cases.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    smalmsmalm Posts: 656member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Sunil



    I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is holding off on having FireGL and Quadro cards until they have full OGL 2.0 support.





    ATI (Bruno Fernandes) clearly stated there will only be one driver for Mac OS X. No FireGL driver - no FireGL card.

    ATI didn't want to comment OpenGL 2.0 plans from Apple.



    Don't know about Nvidia Quadro cards/drivers. Isn't Apple developing drivers for Nvidia GPUs?
  • Reply 14 of 84
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you should have a NAB 2006 and WWDC 2006 option
  • Reply 15 of 84
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    The first question to ask is when Antares will be ready. This, of course, depends primarily on IBM. Apple can cheer, cajole and bribe IBM to hasten the pace, but I seriously doubt IBM is dragging their feet. In other words, Apple's still hostage to the bungles of its primary chip manufacturer.



    Now...when Antares is ready, Apple will be able to justify a complete revision. With good product planning, Apple should be able to finalize the Antares Powermac shortly after IBM tells Apple it's ready to deliver the goods.



    So when will this happen? June 7, 2005.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    I think this /. article brings some hope for getting rid of that annoying water cooler, and maybe bringing on the PBG5's..
  • Reply 17 of 84
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sCreeD

    The poll is missing Apple Expo 2005 - September in Paris which would be four months after this revision. Would a perfect time. This revision was rather lackluster for one year.



    Screed




    powerbook G5 @ apple expo paris 2005?

    7 months... sounds plausible
  • Reply 18 of 84
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    lol at apple fanboys and girls



    try 2007
  • Reply 19 of 84
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by gar

    powerbook G5 @ apple expo paris 2005?

    7 months... sounds plausible




    I was referring to a Power Mac revision that had 970MPs.



    Screed
  • Reply 20 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Oops I made a mistake. I thought I was voting for WWDC 2006 not MWSF 2006.
Sign In or Register to comment.