Poll: When Will We See Dual-Core 970MP "antares?" And Next Gen G5 chips?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think there will be an announcement of a dual-core Apple computer at WWDC. I say "Apple computer" instead of "Mac" because I think they'll be making a serious workstation for places like Weta Digital and Industrial Light & Magic with insanely fast processors and an SLI solution.

yay! someone agrees with my render node marketing theory

umm.. don't tell me your talking SLI like in nvidia-gpu-SLI...??
  • Reply 42 of 84
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

umm.. don't tell me your talking SLI like in nvidia-gpu-SLI...??

I hope so. Double the performance for the working hi-poly, nurbs, and sub-d modeler. Double the amount of polygons you can re-load into a scene without the application crashing. I have no problem with the nvidias SLI bridge breakthrough. It's much better than the 2 chips on one card solution. 2 cards is always going to be better for 3D because what ever you can do on one card, you can use two of that card, and have twice the fun.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

802.11n- This needs to come asap but it's looking like late 2006 before the final spec is ratified. There are plenty of Pre-N or other half-baked solutions out now. I just want the unified format. I hope Apple's next Airport slot will support "11n" when it comes. That's probably the first wireless products I'll buy.

I don't think this will happen. Apple just standardised the whole lineup on 802.11g, it seems a bit soon to be upgrading everyone.

Quote:

Cell processing- now that people see the amount of power it takes to crunch HD AVC. I think it will be interesting to see what approaches can be down with cell technology. Whether it be a STB or hybrid cell/G5 system.

I could see a cell being a dedicated coprocessor as a way to differentiate the PM line from the iMac line. Seems likely given that CoreAudio and CoreVideo allow for a convenient abstraction of such hardware details.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hmurchison

[B]HDTV Convergence- I'd like to see more widescreen LCDs conforming to standard HD resolutions so that working with a computer or video is a seamless affair. In addition computer support for HDMI and HDCP(broadcast HDTV copy protection) would go a long way towards turning Macs into capable Hometheatre PC(HTPC).

Useful, but overated. You need to do all your real proffing on a real TV since LCDs are pretty bad at getting an idea of how good a picture is (hence why Photoship folk don't really use LCDs). I'l like to see widescreen iBooks just the same.

Quote:

Quadra Powermacs- Bring BACK the Quadra name!!! It would be great for nostalgia and speeeeeeeed. Let's show what OS X can do with more than two processors. Let's show what Mac apps can do. Motherboards are becoming more efficient with the use of serial technology for PCI and hard drives(Express and ATA). Yet more complex with the need for bridges and more motherboard integration and SLI.

My guess is that this is a given. Apple will probably unveil dual processor dual core Pro machines. I also suspect that Apple will revive the Quadra nomenclature as a nice marketing touch.

Quote:

This is what techies love though. We're waiting to be wowed again. We're waiting to save our money for that next big beast of a Powermac. Bring it to us.

I'd add:

Dual core powerbook (a real first if Apple can pull it off, they would need to reduce the MHz to make it not burn up)
  • Reply 44 of 84
    bazadbazad Posts: 20member
    my 2c guess

both iBook and PowerBook will be updated.

iBook is overdue and PowerBook is underpowered if iBook is updated.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    I would definitely say the PowerBook is due for an update, but if it's updated at WWDC it will be a G5, if earlier its still a G4. That's my guess. iBook.... I guess that could be updated as well. The iBook may not be the type of update a WWDC attendee is used to seeing, but the more the merrier I guess.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    There will be no "X Station".

You don't take your worst-selling computer line and split it. That's what an X Station would do, is split the current Powermac market. There isn't a large enough market above the $3000 Powermac to make an "X Station" worthwhile; Apple would just add another more expensive Powermac model if they need to charge more for twin dual-cores or whatever.

File this rumor next to "Powermac Dodecahedron" and "12 button twin scroll-wheel Powerpro Mouse".
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

There will be no "X Station".

You don't take your worst-selling computer line and split it. That's what an X Station would do, is split the current Powermac market. There isn't a large enough market above the $3000 Powermac to make an "X Station" worthwhile; Apple would just add another more expensive Powermac model if they need to charge more for twin dual-cores or whatever.

File this rumor next to "Powermac Dodecahedron" and "12 button twin scroll-wheel Powerpro Mouse".

Saying "You don't take your worst-selling computer line and split it." is a bad example in this situation. It's not the worst selling computer because consumers don't want a powerful Desktop. It's their worst selling computer because Apple has turned their supposed pro offering comparatively into an over priced entry level desktop. It's not a pro workstation as it should be.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    tee hee hee... i luv you guys/gals...

you're all so "leet"... only 1 voter so far has been tempted to vote for

"Who cares, Apple is switching to Intel and AMD"

• Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Saying "You don't take your worst-selling computer line and split it." is a bad example in this situation. It's not the worst selling computer because consumers don't want a powerful Desktop. It's their worst selling computer because Apple has turned their supposed pro offering comparatively into an over priced entry level desktop. It's not a pro workstation as it should be.

i would have to go with onlooker on this, in the sense that on the consumer side, apple has it pretty much as good as it can get, leading up to the christmas frenzy... price drops, deals, and updates will be timed well on iPod, iMac, iBook, and eMac range.... and also iTMS across various countries soon, hopefully.

that's the good news, it means that for the rest of 2005 we can hope (and they ARE working on this no doubt) how to clarify their PowerMac range. PowerBook is okay given strong sales last quarter by bumping it as high as G4 will handle, etc, etc... PowerMac, XServe, and "XStation", if any, looks to be their next focus now that they got their core consumer/revenue/profit base pretty much sorted out.

we can see that PowerMac and Xserve and "Xstation" will be pushing for the high-end, cluster computing, xgrid, video production (since so many graphic designers in print/web have 'defected' to PCs i humbly suspect...)

PowerMac sales have been soft past several quarters so they need to shore this up next, and their Power range and XServe "Xstation" range needs to come on strong on the high-end if they ever are going to get more recognition in the business world other than Macs being 'toys' 'pretty looking candyware' or 'they just make iPods'....

</rant>
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Quite right, which is why Apple needs to boost performance while holding prices down. Apple doesn't need a new X-Station line to do this, all they need to do is revise the Powermac into a frightening beast and keep prices steady or even drop them.

I don't buy the idea of this mythical pool of consumers who will flock to Apple the moment they release a Powermac h4XX0r edition price-is-no-object POWER 5-based desktop supercomputer. Evidence so far points to a shrinking high-end desktop computer market, as consumer towers (this includes the Powermacs) step into the roles that were once the domain of SGI and Sun.

Still it would be cool if Apple unleashed a limited edition $7000 tower for bragging rights. Sort of like how every once in a while some auto company builds 50 supercars and sells them at a million bucks a pop to burnish the company's image. Sounds great!
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Quote:

Still it would be cool if Apple unleashed a limited edition $7000 tower for bragging rights. Sort of like how every once in a while some auto company builds 50 supercars and sells them at a million bucks a pop to burnish the company's image. Sounds great!

i don't think Apple needs to go that far

but basically some kickass range of machines in the $2500-$4000 range be it workstation or 'cluster node' class (both hopefully) is the space apple needs to start kicking some major tushy.

$1500--$2500 space is very very crowded IMHO for a "mini-powermac-tower" type thing, they would need to pull off an iPod type thing to be profitable in this market space. big volumes possible but thin profits, at this stage, but of course, apple marketing knows how to overcome such hurdles
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

$1500--$2500 space is very very crowded IMHO for a "mini-powermac-tower" type thing, they would need to pull off an iPod type thing to be profitable in this market space. big volumes possible but thin profits, at this stage, but of course, apple marketing knows how to overcome such hurdles

Actually Apple has the greatest profit margins on their Powermacs. If they could boost volume, then they would have room for more expensive components, or a lower price.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:

Actually Apple has the greatest profit margins on their Powermacs. If they could boost volume, then they would have room for more expensive components, or a lower price.

good point.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    So lower the price $300 and give us 6800s as standard, and I think you'll see machines begin to move!
  • Reply 55 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

So lower the price $300 and give us 6800s as standard, and I think you'll see machines begin to move!

Not likely. People who need the faster cards will simply BTO them. There is no magical elixir that will boost Powermac sales. It's not cards or price or any of that other mumbo jumbo BS people continue to spout on these boards. Powermacs don't sell as much as iMacs because there are less people that need workstations and those that do don't spend time bitching about graphics cards.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:

Not likely. People who need the faster cards will simply BTO them. There is no magical elixir that will boost Powermac sales. It's not cards or price or any of that other mumbo jumbo BS people continue to spout on these boards. Powermacs don't sell as much as iMacs because there are less people that need workstations and those that do don't spend time bitching about graphics cards.

You can toot that horn all you want. It's the PowerLess PowerMac that is preventing PowerMac sales. Nothing else

I used to sell, and update at every revision. I have not bought a new Mac in a few years because they just don't impress me anymore.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:

hey dude, how's it hangin...

but if let's say we look at declining quarter-over-quarter sales of Powermacs it would seem that you are suggesting that quarter-overe-quarter there are less and less proportion of people that need workstations
  • Reply 58 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I just don't think people here in AI have realized that with the advent of the G5 in the iMacs companies and people that would have bought a Powermac in the day are now buying iMacs.

I talk to corporate customers all the time from publishing to advertising markets that run the usual suspects like Adobe apps and Quark and they aren't looking at the Powermacs as much as in yesteryear. The iMac, with capable memory, offers them exactly what they need at $1500+ monitor included.

Those that need more industrial strength are remaining with the Powermacs but I don't hear them complain as much as some AI'ers likely because they'd like to have an additional internal bay and dual optical but those items aren't showstoppers.

Now I hear Mac users bitchin about dual-core and PCI-Express and just sit back and realize that they are cheerleading computers and not actually linking a feature with an immediate benefit. DC means nothing if Macs have had DP processors for years. It's rather silly I'd rather have dual 2.7Ghz processors than one 2.5Ghz 970MP.

I didn't know it was possible but evidently you can utilize an adapter to take a PCI-Express card and use it in a PCI-X slot.

My suggestion to those waiting for the "mythical" perfect hardare. You're losing time sticking with your slower Mac. Upgrade and get to being productive. Macs hold their value...if you find that the next generation Macs are indeed the "perfect" computer for you then sell your Mac and purchase the new Mac. You still get to keep the productivity you enjoyed with the faster Mac.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

I just don't think people here in AI have realized that with the advent of the G5 in the iMacs companies and people that would have bought a Powermac in the day are now buying iMacs.

I talk to corporate customers all the time from publishing to advertising markets that run the usual suspects like Adobe apps and Quark and they aren't looking at the Powermacs as much as in yesteryear. The iMac, with capable memory, offers them exactly what they need at $1500+ monitor included.

Those that need more industrial strength are remaining with the Powermacs but I don't hear them complain as much as some AI'ers likely because they'd like to have an additional internal bay and dual optical but those items aren't showstoppers.

Now I hear Mac users bitchin about dual-core and PCI-Express and just sit back and realize that they are cheerleading computers and not actually linking a feature with an immediate benefit. DC means nothing if Macs have had DP processors for years. It's rather silly I'd rather have dual 2.7Ghz processors than one 2.5Ghz 970MP.

I didn't know it was possible but evidently you can utilize an adapter to take a PCI-Express card and use it in a PCI-X slot.

My suggestion to those waiting for the "mythical" perfect hardare. You're losing time sticking with your slower Mac. Upgrade and get to being productive. Macs hold their value...if you find that the next generation Macs are indeed the "perfect" computer for you then sell your Mac and purchase the new Mac. You still get to keep the productivity you enjoyed with the faster Mac.

cool..

dude... shhh with the "being productive" .. i got 1000+ posts already

but i have got a part-time job, i will be helping to teach Flash at a local art college starting next wednesday

wish me luck...!

my lab will have eMacs i think

can i use your speech? paraphrased to, "kids, it's not the size of your ghz, it's how you use it..." 8)
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:

Dude, get with the program. Didn't you read earlier in the thread where we were discussing how cool it would be if Apple brought back the "Quadra" name? Ever think of why that might be? Dual cores...."Quadra"....dual cores...."Quadra"....keep thinking, I know you'll figure it out soon.

hint: Most Appleinsiders would be quite pissed if Apple released dual core Powermacs and they were all single processor.