The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 121 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

What if both the 12- and 14-inch iBooks are replaced by a 14-inch HD widescreen iBook, available in two configurations.

First Configuration:

$1,099

Second Configuration:

$1,399

The 12-inch would then be exclusive to the pro line and would receive a face lift at the Paris Expo along with the rest of the PowerBook line.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The new small PowerBook might be a 13" wide screen. I've often thought it was unnecessary for Apple to offer two iBooks (although those who bought the 14" model might disagree).
  • Reply 122 of 294
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The new small PowerBook might be a 13" wide screen. I've often thought it was unnecessary for Apple to offer two iBooks (although those who bought the 14" model might disagree).

Offering 2 ibooks isn't dumb... offering 2 ibooks with the SAME resolution with different screen sizes is dumb. They should at least bump up the 14" to 1154 resolution.
  • Reply 123 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Offering 2 ibooks isn't dumb... offering 2 ibooks with the SAME resolution with different screen sizes is dumb. They should at least bump up the 14" to 1154 resolution.

Agreed.
  • Reply 124 of 294
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    WWDC = portable G5. Maybe a lapzilla, or possibly a portable desktop. It's time for a new Powerbook; compared to the current Wintel offerings, the Powerbook is more like a Powerlessbook.
  • Reply 125 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

WWDC = portable G5. Maybe a lapzilla, or possibly a portable desktop. It's time for a new Powerbook; compared to the current Wintel offerings, the Powerbook is more like a Powerlessbook.

The more the time passes the more I think we are going to see finally the PowerBook G5 at WWDC.

I would love to see an 20" PowerBook with HD screen res. That would be great.

Not everybody needs to use a laptop on a plane, so it would be the ultimate portable "desktop" machine. Bring it on Apple!

Designers and editors on the field would love such machine. The Imac 20" is great but not very portable, so a 20" laptop would be a great solution for such individuals.
  • Reply 126 of 294
    bjewettbjewett Posts: 83member
    How about this bit on MOSR that suggests an announcement of a dual-core apple "Xstation" line at WWDC?

If the price were quite a lot higher (as expected) it wouldn't change one bit my intent to plunk down $$ for a dual-2.3 in the coming month or so. What I want, eventually, is the 2nd generation dual-core, when the price is finally in range of mere mortals.

Brian
  • Reply 127 of 294
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bjewett

How about this bit on MOSR that suggests an announcement of a dual-core apple "Xstation" line at WWDC?

I will tell you when I stop laughing.
  • Reply 128 of 294
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    MacDailynews.com has an unusual report from a Sony Playstation site talking about apple and sony colaborating on the PS3 with alot of integrated livingroom-ish tech. This report and others around the net from pretty established resources (cringly and others) about Movie download services, updated video airports, etc. could make this WWDC the year of home entertainment. Also, it would be good to stay ahead of the Xbox i supose
  • Reply 129 of 294
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but it turns out that Digitimes was correct on the 2nd plant for iPod Manufacturing...

Linky

I shutter to think if they are correct on their claims of iBook G5s and PowerBook G5s 2nd quarter '05!

Linky

Of course June 6th is in quarter 2, we are waiting for new iBooks, January's PowerBook G4 bump was small, and hidden in a plist file in 10.3.5 was reference to a G5 PowerBook (disappeared in later software updates) called 7,1 and 7,2 (interesting considering PowerBook G4 12" is in the same model class as iBook G4s)...

The suspense builds...it's prolly all wishful thinking that we could see this at WWDC, but life is stranger than fiction, and Apple is Apple.
  • Reply 130 of 294
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Um, so you think Apple can never revise the iBook design just because they've sold a bunch to schools, or you think Apple must stop selling to schools before they can revise the iBook? Neither makes sense to me. Why are schools any different than the hundreds of thousands of other customers who will just have to grin and bear it when their iBooks become the "previous" models?

I think the reason for the long delay is that iBooks have been selling well as they are, so Apple has had plenty of time to come up with a great new design. Four years is pretty long to go without a change, though. That's why I think it'll happen soon; probably at WWDC.

Of course they'll revise the design eventually, but my point was that their current push to the education market has been a big reason the design has stayed the same for four years straight.

Consumer portables would usually not wait THAT long for an overhaul.
  • Reply 131 of 294
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

I shutter to think if they are correct on their claims of iBook G5s and PowerBook G5s 2nd quarter '05!

The suspense builds...it's prolly all wishful thinking that we could see this at WWDC, but life is stranger than fiction, and Apple is Apple.

Add the rumor the iBook is getting a new design (widescreen) and will be one size (13.3") and things get interesting. I do not believe we will see an iBook G5, but I can see a PowerBook G5 at WWDC2005 and an iBook G4 widescreen in Paris. Once the PowerBooks get a G5 Apple will have room to upgrade the iBook at least a few more times before shipping one with a G5.

However, it does make sense for Apple to ship G5s in the iBooks and PowerBooks because:

1) Restructure the line of portables

a) iBooks: one size (13.3"), two models (low-end/high-end)

b) PowerBooks: two sizes (15", 17") three models 15" (low-end/high-end), 17" (high-end)

2) Economy of scale

3) Steve said the G5 was the platform they are building on so they might as well get the G5 in the portables.
  • Reply 132 of 294
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

Add the rumor the iBook is getting a new design (widescreen) and will be one size (13.3") and things get interesting. I do not believe we will see an iBook G5, but I can see a PowerBook G5 at WWDC2005 and an iBook G4 widescreen in Paris. Once the PowerBooks get a G5 Apple will have room to upgrade the iBook at least a few more times before shipping one with a G5.

However, it does make sense for Apple to ship G5s in the iBooks and PowerBooks because:

1) Restructure the line of portables

a) iBooks: one size (13.3"), two models (low-end/high-end)

b) PowerBooks: two sizes (15", 17") three models 15" (low-end/high-end), 17" (high-end)

2) Economy of scale

3) Steve said the G5 was the platform they are building on so they might as well get the G5 in the portables.

Also, we can compare the iBook and iMac lines to the PowerBook and PowerMac lines. iBook could still have different screen sizes and configurations, but like the iMac these configurations are far more limited than the Power line. The PowerBooks, like the PowerMacs, will have a far greater number of options.

This will be especially true as bluetooth and AirPort become standard features across the board.
  • Reply 133 of 294
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    I think that Apple needs to keep both the iBook and Powerbook 12" models, or at the biggest, 13". The smaller computers are great and to limit people who want a small computer to go with the more expensive one is not a good idea, especially with Apple's push of the iBook and education. The 12" models are perfect for school.
  • Reply 134 of 294
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I bought my kids a 12" ibook 1.2. What a trully usefull, fun machine. After playing with it myself from time to time "to keep everything ship shape" and wathing my kids use it and talk about this very thing, i think a "mini-book" would be amazing. 10" widescreen, superthin and light. Maybe only an external optical drive, running Tiger. What a sweet machine for notes in class, Airtunes, email, etc. My kids would love it! (as would i, for general maintenance of course!)
  • Reply 135 of 294
    i think that they show the new ibook with core image support, and i hope that they announce pro video card compatibility (firegl and quadro)
  • Reply 136 of 294
    masa_demasa_de Posts: 8member
    My assumption:

WWCD:

- New PowerBooks G5 HD (Wide Screen, HDTV, G5)

- iPod Updates (to keep the cash cow alive; remember, the iPod has been very "useful" for Apple the past year)

- may be new Monitors

- for sure some technical home bibelot (AirTunes, Mediastation, iPhoto HD ;-) ,....)

Jan 06:

- New PowerMacs Dual Core

(consider, that many people have ordered new PM recently. It's very unlikely that SJ will announce new PowerMacs on WWDC while UPS, TNT and DHL shipps PowerMacs that where ordered some weeks ago (2.3 + 2.7 Ghz,...).

- some Mac Dealers call the youngest Macs "PowerMac G5 (2005)".
  • Reply 137 of 294
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    With now less than 3 weeks to go until WWDC, it's awfully quiet out there....
  • Reply 138 of 294
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ain't it GREAT?
  • Reply 139 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

With now less than 3 weeks to go until WWDC, it's awfully quiet out there....

The quieter the better!

Hopefully our dreams will be fulfilled at WWDC.
  • Reply 140 of 294
    and on the software side, i hope that apple finally ship opengl 2.0 and enable q2de