Apple overstocked on most iPods, Macs leading into WWDC?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shipments of Apple's iPod digital music players appear flat or declining this month as sources report the company is, for the first time in a long while, seemingly overstocked on most iPod models with about a month remaining in its third fiscal quarter. Most Mac models are also following a similar trend, with a few exceptions.

Several Wall Street analysts are predicting that the Cupertino, Calif-based Apple is quietly preparing to introduce at least one new iPod model this spring. Most bets are on a new flash-based player that will supposedly include a small display screen and a 480 song or 2GB capacity. And because the rumored display screen will likely be anything but vast, displaying more than individual song data may prove difficult, the analysts say. This could possibly allow the purported player to remain within the 'shuffle' family.

Ironically, today Apple is believed to be sitting on its most significant inventory of iPod shuffles since the player hit the market in February. According to reliable sources of information, tens of thousands of iPod shuffles remain idle in the channels this week alongside a good number of iPod photos.

In fact, for the first time in over a year, there is enough stock of all of Apple's major products -- both Mac and iPod -- that even the company's often-neglected value added retailers can get most products on demand. The only exceptions appear to be the new iMac G5 and the Special Edition U-2 iPod, both of which appear to be lingering just below a supply and demand balance.

In the Mac sector only two product lines show any potential for a refresh before the company's third quarter ends in late June: the iBook G4 and the Mac mini. Both product lines have seen a significant slowing of demand recently and are prime subjects for a rebuffing as the educational buying season approaches.

While the Mac mini is due to gain a bit more RAM and potentially the long-lost iPod dock, sources have only commented on slightly redesigned iBooks said to be making the rounds on the west coast. If Apple fails to refresh either of these products next week, it could be almost a month before the company makes any moves.

"It will be interesting to see what [Apple] does with [the] remainder of this quarter," said one source. "They're overstocked right now in several departments." But it's not just the company's current inventory that is turning heads. Sources say that along with the increase in product availability came a significant decline in the number of build-orders coming into Apple's overseas manufacturing facilities. It's an odd trend with a major Apple event around the corner.

Apple next week will host its annual World Wide Developers Conference in San Francisco, which has predominately been a software-centric event. Still, company chief Steve Jobs has been known to pull a hardware trick or two from his hat. Last year he introduced new Apple Cinema Displays and would have unveiled the iMac G5 if IBM had supplied Apple with enough microprocessors to meet demand. Two years ago, WWDC 2003 delivered the Power Mac G5 and iSight video cameras.

Anticipation of this year's announcements has lead to wide-spread speculation amongst AppleInsider forum members. They're hoping Apple will offer some favorable news on the fate of a PowerBook G5 and multi-core Power Mac G5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    man, I would tattoo steve job's face on my right a$$ cheek if he introduced "multi-core PowerBook G5"
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    There's a reason for this lack of interest in Apple. No Rumours.

And everyone waiting for the other shoe to drop. G5 powerbook. Better mini. 2.0 Ghz Power PC mayhap. Refresh of the Power Towers to Dual core G5. Face it the last upgrade was a yawn. What studio/person is going to upgrade their machine by 250 mhz? The other thing is people typically don't have money at this time of the year. Schools done. It's vacation time. Tax refunds may show up. But you've got Visa bills to pay.

The ipods are nice but the first wave is satisfied. Apple should have a sale or incentivise the non selling versions. 25 free itunes with purchase.

maybe new monitors will come out but unless they come out with a 17" or 15 Studio display there's going to be no excitement.

I'd love to see a home media Mac come out I'm sure developers would have plenty to write towards then.

Maybe Apple needs to just take the summer off. They've been hot for so long a little down time might be great. They could take care of all their other business concerns. Like the absolutley craptastic Toronto Apple store. Don't get me started.

I went down on Day two after I heard that there were huge lines. So I went Sunday, There was a lineup, typical Apple marketsmanship. But the store itself was a huge dissapointment. Big birch veneer tables with product on them. I just seemed like a book bazaar. Rather dull. Not very overwhelming like other Apple stores. Very limited software. Too many ipods. People in line were commenting about the same thing, They had been to Boston and they both were commenting on the smallness. Carbon Computing has a better set up. Anyways. Sure there were a lot of people and I did buy something. But Damn they need a bigger store. Don't they get that Toronto is huge. The GTA has like 5.1 million people 2001 census. And it seems like we're being treated like second class citizens. Hopefully they build a better store in the Eatons Center or on Bloor by Prada, I want the glass staircase.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We're always hoping for better news. I want my Express Powermac with 4 cores!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcloki

They could take care of all their other business concerns. Like the absolutley craptastic Toronto Apple store. Don't get me started.

I went down on Day two after I heard that there were huge lines. So I went Sunday, There was a lineup, typical Apple marketsmanship. But the store itself was a huge dissapointment. Big birch veneer tables with product on them. I just seemed like a book bazaar. Rather dull. Not very overwhelming like other Apple stores. Very limited software. Too many ipods. People in line were commenting about the same thing, They had been to Boston and they both were commenting on the smallness. Carbon Computing has a better set up. Anyways. Sure there were a lot of people and I did buy something. But Damn they need a bigger store. Don't they get that Toronto is huge. The GTA has like 5.1 million people 2001 census. And it seems like we're being treated like second class citizens. Hopefully they build a better store in the Eatons Center or on Bloor by Prada, I want the glass staircase.

1. There is no Apple Store in Boston. There is one, however, in Cambridge, which borders on Boston.

2. Don't get your hopes up -- you'll never get a glass staircase in Toronto. Only flagship locations get fancy decor, and flagship Toronto isn't.

3. All Apple stores use the "wooden tables with products" layout. Seems to be working pretty well -- what does Toronto do differently?

4. The relatively new focus on iPods is because, um, they sell. A lot.

5. Perhaps contacting the management at the Toronto store with your concerns might be a better way to address them, rather than complaining about it here.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Still hoping for a 23" iMac G5.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    webavatarwebavatar Posts: 55member
    thanks for this article a**holes

Your credited on CNBC for making the stock crash by $2.00
  • Reply 7 of 26
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Toronto's store is way too small. I didn't even buy anything when I went in.

There's no seminar area. You get claustrophobic just walking to the back.

It is embarrassing to be outdone by both the Buffalo Apple Store and third party Carbon Computing.

And since Toronto is the media, economic and cultural capital of the country, The Toronto store is a flagship, whether Apple acknowledges it or not.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

thanks for this article a**holes

Your credited on CNBC for making the stock crash by $2.00

Accumulate.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

And since Toronto is the media, economic and cultural capital of the country, The Toronto store is a flagship, whether Apple acknowledges it or not.

That's not how it works. Many Apple Stores are located in regional centers, but that doesn't make them flagships. The Apple Store in CambridgeSide is in the heart of the six-state New England area, a cultural, academic and economic center. That doesn't make it flagship.

London is flagship. Tokyo is flagship. New York City is flagship.

Toronto is not. Perhaps it helps to think about the various classes of world cities. Toronto is a gamma-class global metropolis, whereas London, Tokyo and New York City are all alpha-class.

(See http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/citymap.html.)

That said, I believe you. The Toronto store may be small. But there's a long continuum between "small" and "flagship".
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Accumulate.

I already hold 10,000 shares thats enough of any 1 stock for me
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

I already hold 10,000 shares thats enough of any 1 stock for me

That's what I have, and it's been frustrating recently.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    A Thought:

Given that supply isn't an issue with Apple right now (According to the artcle), I wonder if Apple will run a promotion before the end of the quarter to move products and get the revenue numbers up.

The street wouldn't like to see an inventory build up of product on the shelves.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Apple finally has enough goods in the pipeline to not cause a huge wait, and now it's a bad thing.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Apple has high demand for iPods but production cant keep up = Apple stock goes down

Apple increases production to meet demand and has stock in its warehouse =Apple stock goes down

Symantic says there is another virus that affects windows = Apple stock goes up

I will never understand the stock market. Value of a stock often seems to have little to do with how well financially they are doing or even how high of a quality the products they produce are...at least this seems to be the case with Apple. Their stock should be floating at $48-$52 in my opinion not dropping $2 because they finally have products in their warehouse.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Apple finally has enough goods in the pipeline to not cause a huge wait, and now it's a bad thing.

It's because they said that demand was lagging. Not keeping up to expectations.

It was the combination. Apple caught up just in time to meet lower sales. That's never a good combination. Add that to Apple's flat prediction for this quarter and you have dissappointed investors.

When the market drops because of poor forcasts of job growth at the same time, then what can we expect?

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2005/...ap2075865.html
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I severely doubt that Apple will announce a G5 Powerbook this time around. What do you think all this talk with Intel is about? Powerbook powered by Intel. That's what I expect soon.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by humanfellow

I severely doubt that Apple will announce a G5 Powerbook this time around. What do you think all this talk with Intel is about? Powerbook powered by Intel. That's what I expect soon.

Oh please, this has been beaten to death already.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

1. There is no Apple Store in Boston. There is one, however, in Cambridge, which borders on Boston.

2. Don't get your hopes up -- you'll never get a glass staircase in Toronto. Only flagship locations get fancy decor, and flagship Toronto isn't.

3. All Apple stores use the "wooden tables with products" layout. Seems to be working pretty well -- what does Toronto do differently?

4. The relatively new focus on iPods is because, um, they sell. A lot.

5. Perhaps contacting the management at the Toronto store with your concerns might be a better way to address them, rather than complaining about it here.

Dear m01ety

Toronto easily fills the criteria as a world class city. Hell we've won two World series in the last 15 years. ;-) My comment were never ment to slight Boston, though you need to do something about your hockey owner, it was just the comparison the couple behind me gave me. Apple should be treating Toronto as flagship since the headquarters of most of the large Canadian business are located here or in the GTA. They are starting to act globally but they really need to start thinking locally.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    tommo_uktommo_uk Posts: 25member
    Open letter to AppleInsider editorial team:

That story you just ran about iPod.Mac inventories was GROSSLY irresponsible. You put a negative spin, by implying that sales may be slow, or inventories may be TOO large, in your story, when QUITE the opposite could be true. 10s of thousands of Shuffles in channel? Big fckuing deal! They sell MILLIONS of them a quarter! Thank GOD they can keep up with demand now - and with independent resellers' too, not just Apple Store customers. You have just knocked $2+ off this stock with your story, which has been quoted on CNBC and Bloomberg. You might feel smug about this. I have just lost $10,000 dollars as a result of your idiocy. You have A D*U*T*Y to both get your facts right, AND report a balanced view of a story like this, especially in the run up to WWDC when the rumour sites are being scoured for news by analysts. Your story is, to me, very positive. I was in France and Switzerland last month - and they had a SHORTAGE of Shuffles, mac Minis, and iMac 20" G5s. How does that pan with your story? Apple only makes 43% of its sales in the US. The rest of the world is still experiencing supply problems. If they have finally gotten on top of the supply/demand curve, I, for one, am ECSTATIC, because it means that for the first time in absolutely years, Apple will be able to sell to any customer who wants any of their products, at any time - a unique development in Apple's history, I'd say! You SHOULD have reported this neutrally, but obviously couldn't resist the "ipod/Mac sales must be falling, because inventories are up" line.

You may of course be right, but the point is, there is NO proof either way, and anecdotal evidence actually points to increased Mac sales, not decreased, and very steady iPod sales.

Check your story next time, and write it up properly, before you start ruining other people's finances with your fast talk. I've been a long time reader of AI, and check several times a day for breaking stories. Frankly, you can go break wind all you want in future - you're a bunch of irresponsible shitheads who I suspect, at worst, are guilty of deliberately manipulating the share price by this negative piece, in order to profit from a bounceback once the fears are shown to be unfounded. even if you are not, I suspect your "sources" are using you to do so themselves. Perhaps they know there's a major announcement due at the WWDC and saw this as a perfect opportunity to get you to publish a story to drive the price down, just in time to scoop up the stock before it rallies after WWDC? We'll know next week I guess.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tommo_UK

Open letter to AppleInsider editorial team:

That story you just ran about iPod.Mac inventories was GROSSLY irresponsible. You put a negative spin, by implying that sales may be slow, or inventories may be TOO large, in your story, when QUITE the opposite could be true. 10s of thousands of Shuffles in channel? Big fckuing deal! They sell MILLIONS of them a quarter! Thank GOD they can keep up with demand now - and with independent resellers' too, not just Apple Store customers. You have just knocked $2+ off this stock with your story, which has been quoted on CNBC and Bloomberg. You might feel smug about this. I have just lost $10,000 dollars as a result of your idiocy. You have A D*U*T*Y to both get your facts right, AND report a balanced view of a story like this, especially in the run up to WWDC when the rumour sites are being scoured for news by analysts. Your story is, to me, very positive. I was in France and Switzerland last month - and they had a SHORTAGE of Shuffles, mac Minis, and iMac 20" G5s. How does that pan with your story? Apple only makes 43% of its sales in the US. The rest of the world is still experiencing supply problems. If they have finally gotten on top of the supply/demand curve, I, for one, am ECSTATIC, because it means that for the first time in absolutely years, Apple will be able to sell to any customer who wants any of their products, at any time - a unique development in Apple's history, I'd say! You SHOULD have reported this neutrally, but obviously couldn't resist the "ipod/Mac sales must be falling, because inventories are up" line.

You may of course be right, but the point is, there is NO proof either way, and anecdotal evidence actually points to increased Mac sales, not decreased, and very steady iPod sales.

Check your story next time, and write it up properly, before you start ruining other people's finances with your fast talk. I've been a long time reader of AI, and check several times a day for breaking stories. Frankly, you can go break wind all you want in future - you're a bunch of irresponsible shitheads who I suspect, at worst, are guilty of deliberately manipulating the share price by this negative piece, in order to profit from a bounceback once the fears are shown to be unfounded. even if you are not, I suspect your "sources" are using you to do so themselves. Perhaps they know there's a major announcement due at the WWDC and saw this as a perfect opportunity to get you to publish a story to drive the price down, just in time to scoop up the stock before it rallies after WWDC? We'll know next week I guess.

Ah, but you should check your information. This wasn't Insiders story. They almost never are. This is from newsfeeds. The Forbes article shows that Insider wasn't the only one to report this.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2005/...ap2076691.html