Intel-based Macs coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 401 of 433
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Agreed. I can think of no compelling reason for the switch.

Also Jobs has been criticising the development of Intel chips. I really don't see this happening.
  • Reply 402 of 433
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Well, I'm still holding out hope for a two CPU solution. It might seem like a pain to keep making two versions of all Mac applications, but most things should fit on one DVD. Such an approach would give Apple the most flexibility and options, and IMHO would be most acceptable to investors. I am seeing more and more reasons to go with Intel for some Mac models, but there are good reasons to keep the Power PC too. The STI Cell processor has some very interesting possibilities, and IBM will likely keep improving the Power series, with a lite version for their blade servers. So why wouldn't Apple want the best of both worlds?
  • Reply 403 of 433
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Agreed. I can think of no compelling reason for the switch.

Exactly my thoughts when I first heard this rumor. And still I don't see why is this so beneficial for Apple the moment when the PowerPC is going to have the strongest presence ever in the market (IST alliance).
  • Reply 404 of 433
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Well, I'm still holding out hope for a two CPU solution. It might seem like a pain to keep making two versions of all Mac applications, but most things should fit on one DVD.

Just try, to talk Adobe and Quark into developing two Mac versions of their apps.

• Reply 405 of 433
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

A wholesale switch to Intel x86-family processors still doesn't make sense to me, especially as this alleged move would be a year away and Intel have been - on balance - no better at delivering 90nm technology than IBM or Freescale.

If anything is going to happen, I still believe that far from it being a wholesale switch it will be a licensing of a reference mobo design and a "limited localisation" version of OS X running under Intel that will be licensed to a handful of carefully chosen hardware manufacturers that have regional dominance in China, India and other important developing markets.

Did you see the news that said that IBM was going to some company in the orient to help them get to .65 circuit size.

Toshiba was a partner in Cell technology and the had FAST 128bit processors in 1998 I think.

My guess is part of the problem with PPC is that companies in the orient own most of it !!!

So its price could rise unexpectedly, performance stall with out warning, or it could be involved in unfair practices, like Apple pays more or can't get supplied, because most of it is not a USA intellectual property anymore.

And oversea business especially in the orient is not very honest.

And MS's move to it could just be another bad business move of many, another brain fart, from Billy G.
  • Reply 406 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

Did you see the news that said that IBM was going to some company in the orient to help them get to .65 circuit size.

Toshiba was a partner in Cell technology and the had FAST 128bit processors in 1998 I think.

My guess is part of the problem with PPC is that companies in the orient own most of it !!!

So its price could rise unexpectedly, performance stall with out warning, or it could be involved in unfair practices, like Apple pays more or can't get supplied, because most of it is not a USA intellectual property anymore.

And oversea business especially in the orient is not very honest.

And MS's move to it could just be another bad business move of many, another brain fart, from Billy G.

the "orient"?! seriously, have you been under a rock for the past 20 years?
  • Reply 407 of 433
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

ROFLMAO

the CPUs will be made by "chinamen"
  • Reply 408 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

ONE HALF HOUR TO GO!

Sorry couldn't help it
  • Reply 409 of 433
    30 minutes to go bitches. that's right, you heard me. let's fucking get this over with
  • Reply 410 of 433
    Quote:

Almost all new chip plants are being built with partners. They simply cost too much. IBM did announce that their new 65nm production would be with a partner. I think it's Toshiba.
  • Reply 411 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

ONE HALF HOUR TO GO!

Sorry couldn't help it

hey... you stole my thunder
  • Reply 412 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

30 minutes to go bitches. that's right, you heard me. let's fucking get this over with

HA! I beat you by two minutes. It would have been more, but I couldn't get the stupid size thingy to work.
  • Reply 413 of 433
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    What's this frenzy guys ?
  • Reply 414 of 433
    masonmcdmasonmcd Posts: 43member
    Quote:

HA! I beat you by two minutes. It would have been more, but I couldn't get the stupid size thingy to work.

Had it been more, you would have been snarky, but wrong.
  • Reply 415 of 433
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

ROFLMAO

the CPUs will be made by "chinamen"

Heh, the CPUs will ply our daughters with opium and turn them into streetwalkers!
  • Reply 416 of 433
    everyone meet on appleinsider chat in ichat be there to hear it first!
  • Reply 417 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

Had it been more, you would have been snarky, but wrong.

What are talking about? Go away and don't spoil our fun.
  • Reply 418 of 433
    masonmcdmasonmcd Posts: 43member
    Quote:

What are talking about? Go away and don't spoil our fun.

Oh, c'mon. It was a joke. Get it? If you had been earlier, it wouldn't have been 30 minutes to keynote? You were spot on at 12:30.

By the way, I'm hoping you were joking too.
  • Reply 419 of 433
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Yet another analysis that makes sense, as opposed to all the echo chamber crap:

IBM Enterprise Division v. Apple

Less than 15 minutes to go. Fasten your seat belts, please.

EDIT: Yup. Turned out I was wrong. I'll have my crow with a bit of horseradish sauce, thanks.
  • Reply 420 of 433
    unixpoetunixpoet Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

By the way, I'm hoping you were joking ...

I hope the rumour mongers are too