G5 - The truth

Comments

• Reply 321 of 489
    In the Motorola Laboratory they had an 8400 processor AKA G-4 at 2,000 Mhz/ 2 GHz- 1 yr ago.Period.
  • Reply 322 of 489
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Isn't the G4 7400, not 8400 Renan?

Also why would AMD be the manufacturer of the G5 instead of IBM?
  • Reply 323 of 489
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    The 8400 is a G4?

If so, then why are G5's even being thought of-if the G4 can, according to you, scale up to 2.0ghz?
  • Reply 323 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>I do not think Apple is going to be releasing a tablet/iMac with removable screen/whatever any time soon, because it would flop like the Cube. Think about it. People right now, with whats been going on, are going to want something super cheap and something that they are familiar with. They aren't going off and buying things like this and the tablet/PDA/home appliance market has been suffering.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not to start a long discussion, I think that the tablet could be really good but that it is technically difficult to do one really well and very difficult to do it well at a reasonable price. A tablet would have to be about 3/8 inch thick, extremely rugged, and have excellent writing characteristics like good lead on good paper. To do this the hardware has to be extremely fast and precise.

I would guess that people draw strokes at up to 100mm/sec (or more). If the digital paper has a resolution of 100 dpi then this works out to roughly 4,000 points per second that have to be digitiized per second (x,y, z) resulting in something like 12,000 synchronized conversions per second (14 bit?) that are time stamped. This is a significant engineering challenge. Not rocket science but not trivial to do beautifully and glitch free.
  • Reply 325 of 489
    When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie with the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the tractable Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 326 of 489
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    [quote]When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie in the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the agile Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return.<hr></blockquote>

Artemis-Goddess of the Hunt?

Apollo-Artemis' twin?

Mercury-Code for PowerBook

Goldfish-G5

Fun...
  • Reply 327 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by mslee:

<strong>

Artemis-Goddess of the Hunt?

Apollo-Artemis' twin?

Mercury-Code for PowerBook

Goldfish-G5

Fun...</strong><hr></blockquote>

sahara = great desert = G3 750FX

artemis = G3 All in One
  • Reply 328 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie with the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the tractable Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

When the third successor of the G3 All in one shall eat pie with the Sahara G3 750, Apollo G4 will be in the upgradeable powerbook and the nonupgradeable powerbook before getting the G5 chip, and this will signal the return of the cube.

hmm.
  • Reply 329 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

When the third successor of the G3 All in one shall eat pie with the Sahara G3 750, Apollo G4 will be in the upgradeable powerbook and the nonupgradeable powerbook before getting the G5 chip, and this will signal the return of the cube.

hmm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Very nice! But how does trinity equal cube?
  • Reply 330 of 489
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

hmm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been told Sahara **could** also refer to something other than the new G3 processor...

I can't say more since as hard as I've looked I can't find any other reference to it and I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble... If someone reading this knows what I'm talking about and has a web site to reference the code name please post the link... If nobody does then I really can't say any more.

Codename, could you tell us if "Sahara" is related to the G3 or some other project? That is If the great desert = Sahara in the first place... (and I think it does).

All I can say is that the project I was told about does make things click into place a bit better than a G3 CPU.

Dave
  • Reply 331 of 489
    Codename is an idiot.

Hey look every body!

I have "inside connections"

"The great pie in the sky shall have a successor and it shall be called dolphin and rule over all of the other desert cubes when the trinity is reestablished".

See? I can come up with meaningless crap too!

• Reply 332 of 489
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

When the third sucessor of Artemis <hr></blockquote>

Artemis is G3 AIO, so first successor is tray iMac, second is slot iMac, and third is LCD iMac.

[quote]shall eat pie with the great desert,<hr></blockquote>

LCD iMac will have Sahara G3.

[quote]Artemis' twin shall rein with the tractable Mercury and the obstinate Mercury<hr></blockquote>

Artemis's twin is Apollo, Mercury is TiBook, so the TiBook will get Apollo G4's. The two Mercury's is a little more complicated. Maybe one is the iBook. This would mean G4 ibooks. This seems unlikely. Maybe there will be an upgrade path for users of the current TiBooks, like the combo drive one.

[quote]before being eaten by the goldfish<hr></blockquote>

The improved TiBook will be what everybody is talking about until G5 PowerMac's come.

[quote]and this shall signal Trinity's return.<hr></blockquote>

The case of the Powermac G5 will in some way resemble the Cube. Maybe that Dodecahedren idea is not that far off?

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>
  • Reply 333 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

Very nice! But how does trinity equal cube?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A guide to some of Apples (older) codenames... (only because that page hasn't been updated for a while)

<a href="http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.appleinsider.com/codenames.shtml</a>;

Dave
  • Reply 334 of 489
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    In addition to being the codename, there's also a logical reason;namely, the Cube took something from three other apple products. From the Powermac G4 it got the G4 processor. For the iMac it got lack of expandibility/consumerness. From the Powerbook it got small size.

[quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

Very nice! But how does trinity equal cube?</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 335 of 489
    Hello people?

How do you know that Codename is not just making all this crap up?

Or do you just enjoy trying to figure out what these meaningless words mean?
  • Reply 336 of 489
    Well, that, and it was the third desktop in the new Apple 'quadrant' thingie.

Three desktops = trinity
  • Reply 337 of 489
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Goldfish was a codename for a 16" Macintosh monitor. Codename is either real, or he has some kind of list of codenames he refers to. Wonder where he could find something like that?

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 338 of 489
    My best shot at it...

When the third sucessor (1st = Bondi iMac 2nd = slotload/multicolor 3rd = LCD iMac)

of Artemis (aka Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One)

shall eat pie (gotta be a codename but I don't know it but codename stated the 'filling' is Rosetta aka Handwriting Recognition)

with the great desert, (sahara? aka new G3 or aka another project inside Apple)

Artemis' twin (apollo? aka Mac Classic II?)

shall rein with the tractable (managable/upgradeable)

Mercury (PowerBook G4?)

and the obstinate (difficult/nonupgradeable)

Mercury (PowerBook G4?)

before being eaten by the

goldfish (Macintosh 16" Color Display? PowerPC G4 Next-Gen??)

and this shall signal

Trinity's (PowerMac G4 Cube)

return.

Dave
  • Reply 339 of 489
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    codename= PowerMac G4

he has done this same thing for 3 years now. it's played.
  • Reply 340 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>codename= PowerMac G4

he has done this same thing for 3 years now. it's played.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's who I was trying to think of...