G5 - The truth

Comments

• Reply 21 of 489
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    [quote] And why does IBM have a G5 chipalready? Why would IBM have a G5 (server?) chip and then have Apple come out with a G5 made by MOT?

So, if IBM and MOT are fabbing this chip doesn't that help the chances for a Jan release as opposed to March?

<hr></blockquote>

your answer:

[quote] The IBM S/390® Parallel Enterprise Server??Generation 5 and Generation 6 family can handle all these tasks concurrently in a stable, very highly secure environment that can grow easily as your business grows.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 22 of 489
    Since Dorsal was right about the last mobo/CPU prediction, he must be right about this one. I mean, if his last prediction about new mobos was right, hoe could be ever be wrong.

And of course, if Apple had G5 powermacs, Dorsal would get one for sure, because he's on Apple's inside track. Yeah, Jobs says, "ok, we have the new G5 prototypes all set, now why the hell doesn't Dorsal have one?!?!?".

This guy is taking you all for a ride. I've never seen so many gullibil people in my life.

BTW, if you want real insider info, goto badflamingo's forums. They are the real thing, not full of idiots like Dorsal.
  • Reply 23 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by AppleProphet:

<strong>

Confirmed. It is the real Dorsal people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I love this site.
  • Reply 24 of 489
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Can someone briefly outline Dorsal M's track record for those of us who paid absolutely no attention last time round?
  • Reply 25 of 489
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    He was fairly accurate about the speeds of quicksilver. His motherboard predictions didn't pan out, but to his credit he always spoke of two classes of MB. One of them is like that which people keep predicting (DDR, firewire 2, faster etc etc...) the other was like the motherboard of today -- I remember when he wrote about it still retaining 66MB/sec ATA, people couldn't believe it, but it turned out true.

He did, however, encourage a fair bit of prototype case speculation, usually in the form of cryptic replies to hastily posted mock-ups. This could've been an attempt to remain anonymous to any NDA headhunters scoping the boards. Think about it, all testers probably get the same or very similar mother-boards, but if apple were so inclined, they could seed quickly made one-off enclosures in order to spy which ones end up in the press or on the net. Then they've caught their mole/s. On the other hand, he coulda just been having a little fun -- the protos people came up with didn't look anything like quicksilver.
  • Reply 26 of 489
    Didn't he also nail the specs for the G4 PowerBook and G4 towers that were introduced at MWSF 2001 in January? I honestly don't remember.

_aarons
  • Reply 27 of 489
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by AaronS:

<strong>Didn't he also nail the specs for the G4 PowerBook and G4 towers that were introduced at MWSF 2001 in January? I honestly don't remember.

_aarons</strong><hr></blockquote>

He only talked about PowerMac, I believe
  • Reply 28 of 489
    I call BS on this one.

Regards,

Alex Warren
  • Reply 29 of 489
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    PS.

how is i that th mods/admins can confirm that this is the real dorsal? I thought that dorsal v1 always anonymized himself???

'esplain' this please.
  • Reply 30 of 489
    Hmm.....reading the post it does seem like it's Dorsal, and the mods have confirmed it is indeed the real deal.

What COULD be the case is:

-Dorsal does not work for a major company such as Adobe that would be sure to get prototype G5s

-Dorsal has received the 7460 machines that Apple will introduce as their back-up plan if there is no way the G5s can ship within a reasonable time span after MWSF

-Apple is in fact going to keep G4s in the low-end PowerMacs and these are the machines that Dorsal has

-Dorsal just hasn't received those G5s quite yet

I don't know, I see too much evidence pointing to the G5. However Apple always finds a way to disappoint.

Keep hitting us up with info Dorsal.
  • Reply 31 of 489
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Here lies the problem. If he only recieves prototypes there is no guarentee that what he may recieve is ever sold. He is then discredited.

On the otherhand if he is right then he has made the same predictions as other people and doesn't possess any real insider knowledge.

The long and short of it is that unless "Dorsal M" posts a photo of something revolutionally - something he could never afford to do, we will never reall know if ihe is real or fake.

On balance I believe that he does possess (sp!) some insider knowledge and as such enjoy his posts.
  • Reply 32 of 489
    Well exactly. There's no doubt that Dorsal is telling us what he receives. I'm not going to say that he is discredited because the systems he talked about before MWNY never panned out. Like someone in an earlier post mentioned, he usually talks about more than one motherboard. The one he "thought" would be introduced was cut by Apple at the last minute probably. Dorsal gives us great info and his info hints at what we can expect.
  • Reply 33 of 489
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Even if MOSR is right, Apple is just receiving G5s version 0.8. I don't think they have MBs or Macs ready to send them out to beta testers. I doubt there are any G5 Macs outside Apple's labs.

BTW Apple is conservative about RAMs so I think we will not see anything faster than 133 MHz DDR.
  • Reply 34 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>800MPs Firewire? Who cares? It will be well over a year before any companies implement it... ...Forget USB 2.0 and 800mbps Firewire, it's too early.</strong><hr></blockquote>

*ahem: the following is sarcasm*

What!!?!? No floppy drive? USB? What!!?!?
  • Reply 35 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>BTW, if you want real insider info, goto badflamingo's forums. They are the real thing, not full of idiots like Dorsal.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No way, if we want real insider info, we'll listen to yer drunk friends.

*he he he*
  • Reply 36 of 489
    They could easily stop at Rev 0.8, call it final, then begin mass production.
  • Reply 37 of 489
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>They could easily stop at Rev 0.8, call it final, then begin mass production.</strong><hr></blockquote>

not if there are still problems
  • Reply 38 of 489
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

not if there are still problems</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he was assuming that there were no problems and therefore Apple could finalize it and beging fabbing
  • Reply 39 of 489
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Dorsal! Get back in da house and cook us up some mo' rumors! No postin' and den hidin'!

- Pook
  • Reply 40 of 489
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

I think he was assuming that there were no problems and therefore Apple could finalize it and beging fabbing </strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly