Freescale's 90nm PowerPC G4 chip destine for Apple laptops

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

your right a widescreen pb 14 would be ideal for me and most, the 15 widescreen is bulky specially at meetings and tray tables. also i want thin and light with longer real life battery life. this is the year of laptops, most want them and the market shifted this year--more laptops sold than desktops.

compare a 14 widescreen to a standard 15 (it was done somewhere in the forums)

i'm jumping on the bandwagon here and say that a

13-13.5" widescreen powerbook should be the new 12-inch

1280x768 pixels. sweet. or even 1280x720 (since it IS the year of high def, why not shave off a few top and bottom pixels to give 16:9 frame size
  • Reply 122 of 136
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Good point. I never really heard much of anything for roadmaps from ibm in the first place, but i'm sure steve saw something missing from them... and intel had it.

Additionally for us at AI, we now get to see the Intel roadmap than the forced veiling imposed on IBM/Moto. Probably because too much of it was vapour anyways?
  • Reply 123 of 136
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Additionally for us at AI, we now get to see the Intel roadmap than the forced veiling imposed on IBM/Moto. Probably because too much of it was vapour anyways?

That's going to be refreshing!!! I mean how often did we get any leads on future hardware... now its being handed to us!
  • Reply 124 of 136
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

That's going to be refreshing!!! I mean how often did we get any leads on future hardware... now its being handed to us!

Exactly, at the very least well be able to discuss future hardware without the copious doses of speculative wishful thinking of potential processors?
  • Reply 125 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Exactly, at the very least well be able to discuss future hardware without the copious doses of speculative wishful thinking of potential processors?

well, the discussions may get more intense in the sense that now that theres a wide range of cpus and chipsets by intel, just watch the fireworks fly and the heavy post-mortems on what cpu with what version with hyperthreading on or off with what chipset at what clockspeed etc, etc, will be in what mac.

it's going to be a wild ride

i agree though at least it is back in the realm of focused and exciting speculation ... instead of ... just wishful hoping and thinking on IBM and freescale vaporware.
  • Reply 126 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

While I'd like to think that sound reasoning was behind the move to Intel I just have this bad feeling that reason had nothing to do with it. I fully believe that no matter what Freescale came up with Apple had alread made the decison to stop doing business with them. Material attributed to Mr. Jobs indicate that he had no desire at all to continue any relationship with Freescale beyond what he was forced into.

Actually I think it's the other way around! Freescale had no intent to do anything special for Apple. They are far to small to justify any higher investment. I think Steve was willing to give Freescale a chance but they simply declined. But listen to Michel Mayer yourself. http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...SL/launch2.htm

(It's within the first few minutes)

End of Line
  • Reply 127 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by User Tron

Actually I think it's the other way around! Freescale had no intent to do anything special for Apple. They are far to small to justify any higher investment. I think Steve was willing to give Freescale a chance but they simply declined. But listen to Michel Mayer yourself. http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...SL/launch2.htm

(It's within the first few minutes)

End of Line

it was interesting how michel mayer put it... kind of diplomatic, with some applause from the audience

a bit of a funny if sometimes cheesy guy

if/ when/ before steve jobs dies, apple needs to clone the RDF gene.

interesting.... so Freescale's boss says something like "we're committed to the powerPC architecture roadmaps.... the news about apple's decisions ... may have created uncertainty.... in a sense we were involved in that decision... that we are going to continue our investment in that architecture... and we are going to move what we are spending to address that 2% of pc market ... to the segments [embedded intelligent connected processing] we really care about and that you represent here today....."

there ya go... what was once a powerMacintosh g4 will one day be the related to something that makes sure your underwear is soft and fresh, not spin-dried too much

when all the freescale embedded intelligence in say fridges get real real smart and develop consciousness, they'll one day visit virtual mac museums to pay their respect to their powerPC ancestors
  • Reply 128 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

there ya go... what was once a powerMacintosh g4 will one day be the related to something that makes sure your underwear is soft and fresh, not spin-dried too much

when all the freescale embedded intelligence in say fridges get real real smart and develop consciousness, they'll one day visit virtual mac museums to pay their respect to their powerPC ancestors

Don't forget about things like routers. Routers have been motorola based since day one. 3 years ago they were all 68040 processors... (i'm talking specifically about Cisco and HP routers). Now they have moved onto PPC. Networking is a BIG market. This is probably where a lot of their decision comes to stay with this architecture.
  • Reply 129 of 136
    Quote:

Don't forget about things like routers. Routers have been motorola based since day one. 3 years ago they were all 68040 processors... (i'm talking specifically about Cisco and HP routers). Now they have moved onto PPC. Networking is a BIG market. This is probably where a lot of their decision comes to stay with this architecture.

agreed. the punishment that routers have to take 24/7 in this day and age, even for just the home networking and sharing setup, imagine bigger hotspots, high end corporate routers, etc, etc, fair enough that PPC / freescale still has its thing (thang) going on there...

somehow intel is not nimble enough or doesn't see the need to enter whatever marketspace powerPC has/ is targeting? hmm
  • Reply 130 of 136
    Do you think there will be any chance that these new processors will be available for Powermac G4 upgrade cards? My aging PM DA could use a nice new upgrade with one of these dual core puppies in it.
  • Reply 131 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by sillycybin

Do you think there will be any chance that these new processors will be available for Powermac G4 upgrade cards? My aging PM DA could use a nice new upgrade with one of these dual core puppies in it.

Well, it's going to help much from what is available now. Currently you can get up to 2ghz g4 upgrade cards. All this could benefit is less power consumption... you can't speed up the fsb with a cpu upgrade. You might get some extra cache... depending on what you have currently. Other than that, I'd just upgrade now.
  • Reply 132 of 136
    Quote:

Well, it's going to help much from what is available now. Currently you can get up to 2ghz g4 upgrade cards. All this could benefit is less power consumption... you can't speed up the fsb with a cpu upgrade. You might get some extra cache... depending on what you have currently. Other than that, I'd just upgrade now.

agreed. don't be held ransom to freescale's vaporware. get a sweet dual g4 1.8ghz or so upgrade card, available, OMFG RIGHT NOW.

throw in a 7200rpm drive with 8meg cache, maybe an ATI 9600 card or something sweet, bump up to 1GB of ram for Tiger and stuff, and pretty much your powermac G4 will be sweet as...

you know, there are MANY of us wishing that they still made the powermac g4, under warranty, it's much more versatile than the Mac Mini
  • Reply 133 of 136
    The other thing to think about with upgrade card for powermacs based on the 7448 is multiplier. Currently the fastest "Official" speed for the 7447 is 1.67Ghz, which is a 10x multiplier on a 167Mhz bus. the "unoffical" top speed for the 7447 in upgrade cards is 2ghz which is a 12x multiplier.

So lets assume that the 7448 can get to a 12x multiplier as well or maybe even 14x if you assume it has a lower power consumption/heat output. Only the MDD powermacs had a 167Mhz bus so most Powermacs have 133 or 100. So 133x14=1867 and 100x14=1400. Not much of an improvement over the current 7447 based cards huh?

My guess is that 7448 cards will be available in dual configs only and only for 133Mhz/167Mhz bus powermacs. 167x14=2333Mhz which would be a damn good upgrade for a single 1.25Ghz MDD, even dual 2.0Ghz = 167x12 would be possible I think. Hmmmm
  • Reply 134 of 136
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Only the MDD powermacs had a 167Mhz bus so most Powermacs have 133 or 100.

That is untrue... Powermacs had 167mhz buses since the original quicksilvers. Verify it at everymac.com
  • Reply 135 of 136
    sorry all the Quicksilvers had 133Mhz buses, if you actually look at everymac.com you will see that, so did a couple of the MDD powermacs (Dual 867 and single 1Ghz). I'm pretty sure of that, http://www.apple-history.com/frames/ seems to back me up. Regardless, I still believe any 7448 based upgrade cards are only really going be useful for MDD 167Mhz bus powermacs. I'm sure we'll still see them for the earlier models though...
  • Reply 136 of 136
    the Digital Audio model, right before the Quicksilver, had 133 mhz fsb also. they are exactly the same as a Quicksilver except for the exterior. same mobo etc.