Apple plans special event next month, new iPods likely

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    12.) Blue Lasers

13.) Ogg support to court the *nix/techno geek

14.) Bluetooth. Not for syncing songs, but instead to dial your cell, sync contacts, and use wireless headphones, car kits, and remotes.

15.) Gratuitous request for video features, although I wouldn't use 'em and think the screen size and HD size makes this mostly pointless, for now at least.

16.) Tre-chic advanced battery technology. Don't make it last 300 plugins, try 1000. While I avoid it, a once a day plugin should be considered standard and the battery should be expected to be a bit more robust and last longer.

Bluetooth and better battery tech would be my top favorites. The mini form factor is fab and miniaturization will just make it more powerful

12- Why?

13- whats Ogg support?

14- Bluetooth, your right not for transfering songs it would take years to sync. But if you have to plug it in already why not just sync contacts and other junk via USB or FireWire?

15- No need for it, if someone ask for it recomend a PSP

16- Ok sounds complicated but sure if it works, is small and can fit iin a iPod.

I no these all arent needed but I think theres a couple features that will help Apple keep its market share with the iPod. Like an FM Tuner, my friends tiny little mp3 player has one and I dont see why the iPod can fit one in. Song Search, or Spotlight for iPod is already in iTunes and Apple can easily create a keyboard on the screen that you use with the scroll wheel.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Like an FM Tuner, my friends tiny little mp3 player has one and I dont see why the iPod can fit one in.

It can, but why would you want one? Radio sucks and an FM tuner would only diminish the brand, IMO.

If you really want to listen to a bunch of morons yap in your ear about pointless stuff, wait for iTunes 4.9 with podcasting support.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

If you really want to listen to a bunch of morons yap in your ear about pointless stuff, wait for iTunes 4.9 with podcasting support.

I knew that american media were bad but should that really hold back the rest of the world?
  • Reply 24 of 85
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Why is this in the "iPod + iTunes" section? Obviously, to me anyway, this media event will be for introducing the dual core 970's. Isn't it? Ahhhh, hope springs eternal.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

I think new iBooks are coming Tuesday, at least that's the word on the street (from low-level call-center employees).

I hope they are major revs, and not just lousy updates. Apple needs to do something with the portables...they are stagnant on design + features.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

1.)longer battery life, 4g is at 12 and the Mini is a 18!

2.) Built-in FM Tuner so you can listen to radio and radio recording capablities.

3.) New Design even though the 4g is already way cool

4.) Crossfade ability, like iTunes has. (no song gaps)

5.) Home button so that you don't have to press Menu 50 million times

6.) Song Search capabilities (Spotlight for iPod)

7.) New headphones, better quality

8.) thinner

9.) Built-in microphone for voice notes.

10.) Comlete turn off instead of sleep for battery life saving.

11.) Bigger Display

And Magic 8-Ball says:

1.) "Seems Probable"

2.) "Unlikely"

3.) "Seems Probable"

4.) "Try Again Later"

5.) "Unlikely"

6.) "Seems Probable"

7.) "Seems Probable"

8.) "Seems Probable"

9.) "Unlikely"

10.) "Who Care How They Manage Power Consumption?"

11.) "Unlikely"
  • Reply 27 of 85
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

Has anyone considered that maybe this might be the launch of the iTunes cell phone

I bet you're right. I'd almost bet money on it.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

Has anyone considered that maybe this might be the launch of the iTunes cell phone, or has motorola given up on that?

I think that is certainly possible. It seems likely multiple announcements:

1. Motorola/Apple/Cingular(?) iTunes-capable mobile phone

2. iPod shuffle 2...possibly with a display that at least shows song title playing...but not likely to be used for very effective navigation (let's be real here...a one line display isn't terribly useful).

3. iTunes 4.9...possibly with some major podcast content provider exclusive deal

4. iPod (original) all color display line (iPod photo essentially becomes standard iPod)

5. Maybe a real surprise. They have done it before...remember Airport Express!

That's about it.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I hope they are major revs, and not just lousy updates. Apple needs to do something with the portables...they are stagnant on design + features.

<on topic>

there will be some juicy iPod updates, possibly iPhone, iTunes Podcast.

super juicy iPod updates are saved for chrismas buying frenzy

</on topic>

edit:<off topic>

i am so tempted to hijack this thread and start bitching abou iBooks hopefully released nex week. but i think i better just let it be.... i'm watching the temperature monitor on my cousin-in-laws iMac g5

holy shit CPU hit 76 celcius

i can see how the fan noise can be annoying

</off topic>

• Reply 30 of 85
    This topic is almost meant for Future Hardware.

Whatever happened to those new "Airport" products AppleInsider reported awhile back? It sounded by the report at the time that those products would have been announced by now...What about that TWO-buttoned mouse? Or is that going to remain cloaked until the Intel hardware starts making the rounds? (Linky)

17-inch Widescreen display to accompany the Mac Mini? Clearly there's a void here.

We're going on 7 months with the current Mac Mini ? sure could use an update to keep it from getting stale.

The big bullseye: We haven't seen an iBook update since October of last year. And last year's update was as minor as the January update of PowerBooks. Meanwhile the iBook has retained its form factor since May 2001 and rumors of a 14-inch widescreen iBook are circulating. WTF? Hello? McFly!

We know that the iPod biz is humming along, and we know about iTunes 4.9 and Podcasting...so updates there are a no-brainer.

I want the truth!

(But I am afraid I can't handle the truth - uh oh)
  • Reply 31 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

We're going on 7 months with the current Mac Mini ? sure could use an update to keep it from getting stale.

The big bullseye: We haven't seen an iBook update since October of last year. And last year's update was as minor as the January update of PowerBooks. Meanwhile the iBook has retained its form factor since May 2001 and rumors of a 14-inch widescreen iBook are circulating. WTF? Hello? McFly!

We know that the iPod biz is humming along, and we know about iTunes 4.9 and Podcasting...so updates there are a no-brainer.

I want the truth!

(But I am afraid I can't handle the truth - uh oh)

yeah. let's just be thankful that the iPod phenonmenon is humming along, and tide us all over till early next year when the Macintesh's show up
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

10.) "Who Care How They Manage Power Consumption?"

I didn't know that a Magic 8 Ball could say that!

I care. The thing is, if you can never completely turn off your iPod and just put it to sleep, it waists battery. If you can turn it off, it saves battery which allows you to listen to your iPod longer when its on.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    frezalfrezal Posts: 19member
    Quote:

I care. The thing is, if you can never completely turn off your iPod and just put it to sleep, it waists battery. If you can turn it off, it saves battery which allows you to listen to your iPod longer when its on.

I believe turning it off would waist more battery. It would be just like restarting your iPod (which takes up a lot of battery).
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:

Actually, why should you care? All you should care about is battery life...the "how" is up to the engineers. They are doing a pretty good job so far actually.

If what you say is true, then perhaps they will do it. But what some people assume will do X often doesn't (as the previous post suggests.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    hey i saw this picture on a "cute pets" forum and thought i'd pass it along. if anyone knows of an iPod Shuffle knock-off, do chime in. Otherwise, this looks like a whole new breed of shuffle to me!!!

this is not a PS from what i can tell...
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:

Posted at www.twit.tv:

If all goes according to plan the next episode is the last you'll have any trouble downloading. Starting around July 3, the files will be hosted by someone with almost unlimited bandwidth so we can stop using Coral. We got just way too big for them. I will continue to offer the BitTorrent feeds, though.

Well could this be the iTunes servers?
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

hey i saw this picture on a "cute pets" forum and thought i'd pass it along. if anyone knows of an iPod Shuffle knock-off, do chime in. Otherwise, this looks like a whole new breed of shuffle to me!!!

awwww... that is so sooooo cute
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:

Poor cat.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I´ll be 30 years old on the 13rd. Hi Steve. Please sent me an iPod for my lifelong positive contribution to the platf.... Ahem,for being an allround good guy

December 17th, but don't let that stop you from sending me one anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Yes, that is a new iPod Shuffle prototype being tested. They use cats now because they don't spread rumors.