Apple plans special event next month, new iPods likely

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    This is just speculation, but I don't think that will happen.

Something has just scared the carriers into actually sharing MMS services.

See this press release for example.

What in Sam-Heck is going on here. These guys are greedy bastards and are out for blood. Why would they now see it to be beneficial to share pictures and songs with competitor networks?

Could it be that Apple will soon be offering a highly competitive service... only because these very same carriers have shut Apple out of their existing network.
  • Reply 82 of 85
    a/uxa/ux Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Something has just scared the carriers into actually sharing MMS services.

Very interesting. So you think that Apple might actually try to compete directly with the carriers? What of the rumors of the impending deal with Cingular?

I hope that Apple does not make the mistake of refusing to work with the rest of the world. AAC may be the accepted MPEG 4 audio standard, but Apple has locked it down with FairPlay. Windows Media will slowly begin to gain ground if all of the non-iPod devices on the planet support it and not FairPlay-protected AAC. Apple needs partners here and they need to be willing to let FairPlay work on more devices.

This Motorola phone seemed like a good start, but it is taking forever to get to market.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    a/uxa/ux Posts: 38member
    Looks like others are thinking along similar lines:

Everybody in the Pool

I'll believe it when I see it. If Apple does decide to become a wireless carrier, they will be entering an established market with cutthroat competition. Risky move if you ask me.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by A/UX

Looks like others are thinking along similar lines:

Everybody in the Pool

Ummm... yeah. The only reason they are thinking along those lines is because they have been reading my posts over in the "Mac and Treo" threads at TreoCentral.

It is not tht risky for Apple. They already have cellular experience from companies like DoCoMo which use Apple technologies as their foundation. They certainly have the capability to offer superior hardware (phones/handhelds) and superior software (UI). They certainly have the hook (gimmick) by tying in the iTMS store which will beat out any of the carriers $3.00 offerings compared to Apple's $.99 song price. I could go on and on here, but you probably understand where I'm coming from.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by A/UX

Very interesting. So you think that Apple might actually try to compete directly with the carriers? What of the rumors of the impending deal with Cingular?

I hope that Apple does not make the mistake of refusing to work with the rest of the world. AAC may be the accepted MPEG 4 audio standard, but Apple has locked it down with FairPlay. Windows Media will slowly begin to gain ground if all of the non-iPod devices on the planet support it and not FairPlay-protected AAC. Apple needs partners here and they need to be willing to let FairPlay work on more devices.

This Motorola phone seemed like a good start, but it is taking forever to get to market.

Yeah, that is what I think. There is a possibility that Apple may rent space from someone like Cingular, much like Disney is doing but I have heard two whispers (which only amounts to a rumor at this point), that Apple may be purchasing a slice of satellite service for just such a thing. Actually I think, if I interpret corectly, it was to be for broadcasts, video rental purchases, data delivery or even communication services ? which could be a communications service. But this is very much a rumor at this point.

The only evidence I have is what I have rattled off at TreoCentral for the last 5 months. The rest is just rumors.

Fairplay will be an issue down the road. Right now though, the only issue is that people are complaining because Apple has out innovated them. But yeah, your right; they may eventually be up against complaints of holding a monopoly once every one has given up.

But lets be honest, the restrictions of FairPlay are virtually nil, except for the issue of sharing with large groups such as in campus situations.