Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (Update)

Comments

• Reply 281 of 367
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Somehow I doubt we'll see a HD DVR this well equiped in the US...

Records to BD, DVD and HDD. Does it have enough connections?
  • Reply 282 of 367
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Is that hardware from Sharp? Looks good, whatever it is from. I know the Sharp Aquos sets are spectacular (my father has the 42 inch one with 1920 X 1080 resolution) and whatever that outputs would look doubly spectacular on a set like the ones from Sharp.
  • Reply 283 of 367
    Yes, it is a Sharp Aquos. Very expensive. I think $2500. Judging from some of the other Blu-Ray units I've seen by Pioneer, Panasonic and Hitachi I would guess we will see players for $300 and recorders for $700 when they hit in the US. Of course they always have nicer stuff in Japan like the Sony recorder with 8 tuners and up to 2TB of HDD storage. That's a little too much TV watching for me though.
  • Reply 284 of 367
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Actually that isn't that many.
  • Reply 285 of 367
    Fox has dropped support for HD-DVD! That means no Star Wars on HD-DVD (amongst many others).

Is this game over?
  • Reply 286 of 367
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm probably wrong, but I think much of the early HD-DVD support was really just a function of DVD forum endorsement, and that this may not amount to more than a paper stamp for most of the content providers involved. Each will make their decisions as HD approaches a critical mass. At first, many may have thought that it would come with the advent of terrestrial HD, but Cable and Satellite providers have blurred the line somewhat by successfully offering a mix of Digital SD and HD along with timeshifting and on-demand programming as well as integrated PVR units.

It looks increasingly as though there will not be a quick jump out of the gate, and the launch of terrestrial HD will not be the starters signal. Since nobody really cares about that anymore, studios and manufacturers look ready to go on their own timelines.

With that said BD seems to have all the momentuum amongst heavy hitters...
  • Reply 287 of 367
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Fox has dropped support for HD-DVD! That means no Star Wars on HD-DVD (amongst many others).

Is this game over?

Fox was late to DVD as well, choosing to support Divx along with others, so this isn't surprising. The prevailing thought is that despite the lack of studio support the cheaper solution will eventually win and studios will have to capitulate and deliver content if they wish to make money.

Blu Ray has a nice lead but beginning next year they and HD DVD have to actually ship product and make money. That's when the rubber meets the road.
  • Reply 288 of 367
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

AFAIK, Fox was always a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association board of directors and never announced support for HD-DVD, so they can't drop what they never had.
  • Reply 289 of 367
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

That's not many at all. Barely more than my 15-year old laserdisc player. I don't see any connectors for component video or HDCP.
  • Reply 290 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

AFAIK, Fox was always a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association board of directors and never announced support for HD-DVD, so they can't drop what they never had.

That is true.

as for cables analog HD output is a no no so expect to see that jackpack get distilled down to a few HDMI ports and some 480 analog ports.
  • Reply 291 of 367
    Quote:

Publically announcing you won't support HD-DVD can't do it much good though.
  • Reply 292 of 367
    Panasonic,...getting the ball moving...

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...52005020534716
  • Reply 293 of 367
    Quote:

That's not many at all. Barely more than my 15-year old laserdisc player. I don't see any connectors for component video or HDCP.

I'm talking about inputs for recording broadcasts. HDMI/HDCP and Firewire is the future.
  • Reply 294 of 367
    Quote:

I'm talking about inputs for recording broadcasts. HDMI/HDCP and Firewire is the future.

Firewire is dead as a HDTV connect. The future is HDMI or Displayport. With the former having the most momentum currently.
  • Reply 295 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Firewire is dead as a HDTV connect. The future is HDMI or Displayport. With the former having the most momentum currently.

For displaying HDTV but not for transferring it.
  • Reply 296 of 367
    Quote:

Sony put Firewire display on their HDV camcorders, but you can count TVs with Firewire on the fingers of one foot.
  • Reply 297 of 367
    Quote:

For displaying HDTV but not for transferring it.

1984 Firewire is dead as a display port and transfer link. HDMI will be the defacto standard from now on. I wish it could have made it because HDMI still has some niggling issues but HDMI has a bit more bandwidth
  • Reply 298 of 367
    Quote:

1984 Firewire is dead as a display port and transfer link. HDMI will be the defacto standard from now on. I wish it could have made it because HDMI still has some niggling issues but HDMI has a bit more bandwidth

So can HDMI be used to connect data devices? Or will we be using USB2 and HDMI?

It's a shame to see Firewire becoming obsolete, but it seems to be.
  • Reply 299 of 367
    HDMI will be used for Video and Multichannel audio.

USB and Firewire can be used for storage and in some cases audio.
  • Reply 300 of 367
    Former Warner Video Chief gives Blu-Ray Warning...

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1824&Itemid=2

Sounds like someone is bitter. On another side note, I couldn't help but notice this article off to the right of the page...

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1827&Itemid=2

Hehehhehe. Wow, that sounds all to familiar with Apple and IBM. Looks like Apple isn't the only company feeling the effects of IBM's low chip yield. I can only see Blu-Ray benefiting even more from this type of news. Of course that is contingent, that PS3 launches on time and with high yield. We'll see, I believe Sony is getting the Cell from IBM as well right? They could see the same thing, low chip yield.