Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (Update)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 367
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I think that I also found a place that sells HDMI->DVI converters, which I will need to hook my PS3 to my VGA-only CRT projector. Heh heh heh...

How does that help you? DVI is not VGA.
  • Reply 82 of 367
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    DVI to VGA converters are pretty common place. Not sure how two conversions would go but the connectors are there.
  • Reply 83 of 367
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

How does that help you? DVI is not VGA.

The HDMI to DVI step is de-encription only, should be no loss of signal quality. After that the DVI->VGA conversion is pretty standard, and you can get pretty good results if you are willing to pay enough money.
  • Reply 84 of 367
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I don't know how much faith I should put in this article, but...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6128295.html

it is interesting nonetheless. At $399 for a game console plus a Blu-Ray movie player...compared to $1,000 for a HD-DVD player...show me where to pick one up!!!
  • Reply 85 of 367
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well we actually don't know what HD-DVD will be priced at come mid 2006 when the PS3 is shipping. I'm guessing that we see first generation HD-DVD in Dec followed by cheaper units and recorders mid 2006.

Sony's agressiveness though bodes well for consumers. If there must be a format war then let that war lower pricing so that those of us who have to purchase both formats can affordably do so.
  • Reply 87 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

New Poll:

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/do...0713-13024.pdf

fluff.

Most consumer don't even know what stuff like HDMI or DVI/HDCP is yet they're supposed to know the differences between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 88 of 367
    The point has been made earlier in this discussion, a few times actually, but I think it is somewhat lost on a lot of people. Everyone is fighting over a technology that most people couldn't even use it if came out tomorrow!

This is FAR from being VHS vs. Betamax. Whichever format comes out on top will be backwards compatible with current DVDs...a lot of people are already freaking out as if they will have to re-purcahse all of their movies...most people don't care enough about quality, so the format war will not be won on quality.

A good example of this: Everyone seems to have forgotten the OTHER format war going on...SACD vs DVD-A....and I have VERY strong feelings towards SACD, the first digital format to abandon LPCM and adopt 1-bit delta-sigma modulation...but no one cares about the quality, and that's not to say DVD-A sucks, it doesn't, however no one cares. How everyone can get soooo caught up in this whole HD revolution, everything is going HD these days...meanwhile the mp3 is all the rage!!!!!! Even the greatest formats and derivatives of Mp3 still suck they are only NEAR CD quality, and that still sucks...once you hear high res audio there is NO going back!

But I digress...the PS3 not only will come stock with Blu-ray but also SACD, and it will play DVD, CD, PS1 and PS2...I have never been a big playstation guy, but this looks to be the superior machine, even as a universal player!

...If only everyone cared as much about HD audio as they do HD screens, HD movies, HD TV, and everything else that has adopted the HD moniker.

Long live 1-bit DSD!

(please don't give me the mp3 is portable thus it is awesome argument, I agree mp3s have a place...and an ipod is a great place for them, but mp3 has taken over and people have since forgotten what dynamic range is, or what anything beneath 80hz sounds like, and everything above 16k....)
  • Reply 89 of 367
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gm7Cadd9

(please don't give me the mp3 is portable thus it is awesome argument, I agree mp3s have a place...and an ipod is a great place for them, but mp3 has taken over and people have since forgotten what dynamic range is, or what anything beneath 80hz sounds like, and everything above 16k....)

It's sad because it's true.
  • Reply 90 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

fluff.

Most consumer don't even know what stuff like HDMI or DVI/HDCP is yet they're supposed to know the differences between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?

HDMI is going to be used by both kinds of players - how does this affect your buyind decision?

The public that is being polled is the same public that will later vote with their wallet. It does not matter if they are wrong or right, their ideas will move the market. Also, they will buy the $400 PS3 over the $1200 HD-DVD 10 times out of 10.
  • Reply 91 of 367
    Quote:

Long live 1-bit DSD!

I owned a Sony SACD-777ES for a while when it first came out, and I really liked it. I ended up selling it for a $300 profit when they discontinued it and the price shot up, but some day I will buy a SACD-1 again.

Man, what a sweet machine!
  • Reply 92 of 367
    I dunno if this has been said, but the latest word from microsoft is that the xbox 360 won't ship with an HDMI connecter, rather component video for High Def content. They will consider an 'advanced av cable' with HDMI at a later stage, or when it seems feasible.

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...d-Holmdahl/p1/
  • Reply 93 of 367
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Well if there was any question as to who 20th Century Fox was going to support...

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...00&newsLang=en

Excellent news for Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 94 of 367
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Also on the Xbox 360 front, Microsoft is now saying that it will have a HD-DVD drive... but not at launch.

Wow. Dumb.
  • Reply 95 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Also on the Xbox 360 front, Microsoft is now saying that it will have a HD-DVD drive... but not at launch.

Wow. Dumb.

Not really. It gives consumers a choice. Microsoft simply needs to let potential costumers know that

1. You MUST have a HDCP HDTV to take advantage. Analog outputs will be downrezzed to 480p.

2. Offer a tradeup program for those that want to move from a SD Xbox to HD in the future.

Simple as that. This war is turning out to be GRrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
  • Reply 96 of 367
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Wow. Dumb.

Yea, it is. People will hold off for the PS3 for obvious reasons. M$ will lose sales. Then, when they release a HD-DVD version, Blu Ray will be bringing in users people will not care for HD-DVD as much, M$ will raise the price of the X-Box or lose more money per unit, all in a filing effort

Blu Ray and PS3 will win this one.
  • Reply 97 of 367
    Choice is never a bad thing.

If I have a 32in analog TV then the HDTV capabilities of the PS3 and a HD-DVD Xbox mean nothing.

If I have a HDTV that uses component ins only then I'm in the same boat.

Give people the option of paying $299 for a non HDTV Xbox and once they upgrade to a capable HDTV set MS could offer a $50 rebate for trade-in.

The effect of the PS3 on BD sales is overblown. HDCP HDTV may not even be half the HDTV set market by the time the PS3 ships.
  • Reply 98 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Choice is never a bad thing.

If I have a 32in analog TV then the HDTV capabilities of the PS3 and a HD-DVD Xbox mean nothing.

If I have a HDTV that uses component ins only then I'm in the same boat.

Give people the option of paying $299 for a non HDTV Xbox and once they upgrade to a capable HDTV set MS could offer a $50 rebate for trade-in.

The effect of the PS3 on BD sales is overblown. HDCP HDTV may not even be half the HDTV set market by the time the PS3 ships.

Choice is often a bad thing. For example the SACD/DVD-A/DVD-Muse format war basically killed 90% of HD-Audio sales. For another example, I once wanted a Ford F-150, but decided against it because I could not figure out the 10 page option list.

If the Xbox 360 does not have HD-DVD drives in every unit, then all software will be produced on DVDs and the HD-DVD drive will go unused. Why would software manufacturers want to produce the same software on two formats of disk? Not only would there be extra manufacturing cost, hassle for consumers, and bad blood all round, but also there would be extra development cost to "dumb down" the HD-DVD version to fit on a DVD.
  • Reply 99 of 367
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    This is interesting:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...vd_vs_blu-ray/

Seems like the HD lot are worried. Rubbishing the competition is a good sign of panic.
  • Reply 100 of 367
    The problem with SACD and DVD-Audio is that nobody was asking for them. Sony and the DVD Forum just assumed that consumers would want and "pay" for a premium music format despite the fact that consumers were already complaining about the price of CDs. Smart. That's a textbook case of going forward without a focused plan and honesty about the markeplace. People don't want $20 music discs nor did they want players that required 6 analog connections.

I don't think the PS3 and Xbox360 are going to be good because of games being bigger but rather they have the horsepower to utilize better physics and textures.

I'll buy both if they support HD-DVD and BD.

Quote:

Seems like the HD lot are worried. Rubbishing the competition is a good sign of panic

Fox's comments about protection were misleading. HD-DVD supports HDCP at the device and AACS just like Blu-Ray. The fear with Blu-Ray is revokable keys by player that could theoretically block legit consumers from their movies.