Timeframe for next PowerMac?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 294
    I think one has caused the other (7448 delayed ---> wait for Yonah instead) One things for sure, powerbook sales are going to tank for the rest of the year, they may have to cut the price.....
  • Reply 142 of 294
    Ok, so the bug is out about PM updates at Think Secret. Now Placing bets! What will they serve up?

Due to small quantities of the 970MP... I bet only the 2.7 will be replaced. I'd like to say that all would be replaced. I some estimates that the MP is going to smoke the current lineup.... NE1 think that is true?
  • Reply 143 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

Ok, so the bug is out about PM updates at Think Secret. Now Placing bets! What will they serve up?

Due to small quantities of the 970MP... I bet only the 2.7 will be replaced. I'd like to say that all would be replaced. I some estimates that the MP is going to smoke the current lineup.... NE1 think that is true?

They are speculating. Don't believe the hype.
  • Reply 144 of 294
    i know, but it get's everyone hyped up in the house.....
  • Reply 145 of 294
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    They have a good track record too, but it has to end sometime. IF - Apple did make new motherboard for dual core processors I would hope they added PCI-E while they were at it, but I am just finding it all a little hard to swallow.
  • Reply 146 of 294
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:

Due to small quantities of the 970MP... I bet only the 2.7 will be replaced. I'd like to say that all would be replaced.

If they get enough processors to ship a high end Power Mac config, they will have more than enough processors to ship low end and midrange configs. Ie, if there are enough 2.5 GHz 970mp CPUs for Apple to ship a quad-PPC system, there will be 2x, 5x, even 10x as many 2.0 to 2.3 GHz 970mp CPUs available for the low-end and midrange Power Mac G5 configs.

Quote:

I some estimates that the MP is going to smoke the current lineup.... NE1 think that is true?

All depends on the clock rate, how many cores and what applications.
  • Reply 147 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

They have a good track record too, but it has to end sometime. IF - Apple did make new motherboard for dual core processors I would hope they added PCI-E while they were at it, but I am just finding it all a little hard to swallow.

If you look at other TS articles from about this time last year they were saying Apple was receiving samples in late Aug or early Jan depending on the article. Even if it was Jan however Apple probably has been sitting on the motherboard all along waiting for the chips to go into production and this would have been before the official announcement about the move to Intel. So I'm thinking that the engineering has been done for a while. We shall see Tuesday.
  • Reply 148 of 294
    I guess we will know tomorrow morning if something new is at the expo!

I wonder if the first versions of a dual-dual will be riddled with issues? If previous rumors are correct then they have been working with the chips awhile...and that possibly new machine designs have been on hold...(the last bump to the current line a stop gap). Would that mean that they have refined them as well? So the first version could likely be a rev.B with plenty of tweak time until the processors could be produced in mass? Any thoughts?
  • Reply 149 of 294
    FYI, the dual 2.7 G5 I ordered late Sunday night/super early Monday morning, which said "2-4 days" and after ordering, said it would ship "on or before September 26" . . .

Just shipped a few hours ago.

This would seem to suggest that nothing's going to happen with the Power Macs tomorrow. The order status does NOT say the product was upgraded or replaced with a new model, and the specs are exactly the same as what I ordered.

Ah, well. Like I should be complaining about the jump from a 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4 to a dual-2.7 GHz G5. But still, dual-core sure would've been nice . . .
  • Reply 150 of 294
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CommonSense

FYI, the dual 2.7 G5 I ordered late Sunday night/super early Monday morning, which said "2-4 days" and after ordering, said it would ship "on or before September 26" . . .

Just shipped a few hours ago.

This would seem to suggest that nothing's going to happen with the Power Macs tomorrow.

If your story could mean something, then yes, we cannot expect a Power Mac update. Perhaps it will be the Powerbook.

Quote:

But still, dual-core sure would've been nice . . .

Sure, and probably Apple will do finally the move. Let's hope this happens today.
  • Reply 151 of 294
    That sucks!
  • Reply 152 of 294
    Quote:

That sucks!

Indeed, though the Expo isn't over and the month isn't, either. I'll hope TS isn't completely off base on this one. I still want something that will hold me for awhile, and that means PCI Express and hopefully a processor bump/upgrade.
  • Reply 153 of 294
    You would think they would intro new machines at the beginning of the expo right? I wonder if they just want to do a silent release of PPC products? I was really thinking that today was the day for me to order a new machine.... I should have guessed another let down. I'm sure they have a good reason to not show them if they have them. There isn't much chatter on any of the rumor sites relating to PM's either....wierd..........
  • Reply 154 of 294
    well, Thinksecret has put up a little opinion piece on the .mac upgrade and in the last sentence they reiterate the belief in a Powermac update coming soon. I think there will be one within the next month, or certainly before christmas. And my guess is;

- Dual-core G5 2Ghz, 2x DC G5 2.4 and 2.8Ghz (or 2.2 and 2.5)

- New System controller with DDR2 memory support for increased memory bandwidth and future-proofing (DDR is on its way out). Possibly only 4 slots or maybe 6, ram density is incrasing rapidly anyway so dropping 8 slots may allow a smaller motherboard design....

- PCI-E 16x for graphics, PCI-E 1x slot, PCI-X slot x2 (for backward compatibility) New ATI X1300 or X1600 PCI-E graphics.

- SATAII Hard disk controller, with 4 ports, having only 2 drives is a joke for a workstation class computer.

- Case, internal redesign to fit more hard disks. They made El-capitan last what, 6 years? I think the G5 case can last that long as well.
  • Reply 155 of 294
    I'm betting when 10.4.3 released it will coincide with the PowerMac release. If you have noted the 500 or so bugs that supposedly have been squashed in this update it seems to me like Apple programers have too much time on their hands. I would think that the would have released this long ago if it was just bug squashing, so it leads me to believe that the update is intended for a new product and won't be released until then. Judging by the timely manner IBM has rolled chips off their assembly lines it seems like a reasonable guess.
  • Reply 156 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I'm tired of waiting!
  • Reply 157 of 294
    my guess is they are ready, but they are waiting to clear out inventory of old stock, which sucks cuz I am ready to buy, but I'll wait until the updates, why they don't reduce the prices of the old ones and just release the new gear I don't know... if I had the choice of cheaper 'current' models I might even be tempted into something I wouldn't have bought....
  • Reply 158 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by paulerskine

my guess is they are ready, but they are waiting to clear out inventory of old stock, which sucks cuz I am ready to buy

I suggest a new thread for those going into therapy due to the "lost" new PMs. I had hoped to put in a PM order as soon as this week, but obviously it will wait, as will FCStudio. I hope TS is right, and they're coming ... eventually. The current line presumably won't be asked to hold the fort until summer '06 (or later), so the question is - when? Hopefully before January 9th.
  • Reply 159 of 294
    I'm sure that the mini mac will have more power than the current PM's before they birth a new PM. If they just revise it again up to a 3.0 machine instead of a 970MP, then it should be called the "G5 PM Classic" and paint the tower beige........the current lineup is SO RETRO 2003...

I'm tired of waiting too.... only so long I can hold out due to productivity that a newer machine will yield, my 733 at home is hurting
  • Reply 160 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    man, I cannot tell you how tired I am of waiting for a "real" upgrade. I feel that buy the current models is a waste if you can wait. it's an old technology. We basically have the same computer since it's introduction over 2 years ago. besides the speed bump, there isn't much more exciting stuff inside the current Powermac.

It's about time to see something good. The Intel transition will take awhile. Apple cannot abandon their professional people waiting. this is insane.

Hopefully price drop, in case nothing is coming soon.