Sci-Fi GeekOut This Friday Night (USA)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    Commander Cain looks HOT...
  • Reply 82 of 158
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Pure Speculation: I'm coming to the conclusion that the 'human' cylons have plans that the other toasters don't know about.

I can't believe you'd use such speciesist terms in polite company.
  • Reply 83 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I can't believe you'd use such speciesist terms in polite company.

Oops I'm going to get this thread sent to Politcial outsider, were it will get locked for evolutionary overtones.
  • Reply 84 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The chick in Baltar's brain already said the Cylon's plan is the extinction of the human race. So I think there are a couple of scenarios:

1. The Cylons don't want to destroy the fleet just yet. If the Cylon's plan is for total extinction of the human race, then wouldn't they want the 'rag-tag fugitive fleet' to find Earth? This way the Cylons could exterminate any humans on Earth as well. The Cylons just need to keep putting enough pressure on the remaining fleet to keep them running towards Earth.

2. Similar to number 1 above. The Cylons can't kill the humans until they've learned enough from the humans to procreate in bioCylon form. So far the only successful bioCylon baby is Helo & Sharon's.

Like you said, if the roboCylons figure out they're going to be obsoleted they may turn on their new bioCylon masters just like they did on the humans. The bioCylons may need the humans' help. Still, remember the Cylon raider that Starbuck stole? There was some kind of organic Cylon pilot inside that ship so the only real Cylon robots left seem to be the bipedal attack droids.

While reading your reply I had the thought about "How all of this has happened before" as quoted by blondie. Maybe the end will be when the humans find out that they are really just the cylon children of Earth.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

You would think if Sharon had some kind of port in her arm that would make it really easy to detect the 8 Cylons (is the Cylon reporter still in the fleet?) that are left....

Rememberr that they've done post-mortems on the android cylons. Impossible to detect any 'cyborgian' stuff via conventional means, only Balthar's dodgy test which takes too damn long anyway and he can't be trusted!! So I think the only 'ports' on Sharon are the regular human kind

The viral/transmitting interface, think something like biochemical/nanomachines/etc where the entire biochemical android cylon is one whole computer, there's no "data port" as we know it.
  • Reply 86 of 158
    Just saw the BSG season finale.

No spoiler, just...

...whoa!

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 87 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

Just saw the BSG season finale.

No spoiler, just...

...whoa!

V/R,

Aries 1B

Great episode! Of course now we have to wait until January for resolution. *bites nails*

Good thing I came up with a couple of program ideas to work and keep me busy until then!
  • Reply 88 of 158
    Wow.

Best episode of the season tonight, IMHO.
  • Reply 89 of 158
    BSG, ?¥?¥? SPOILER ?¥?¥? So what's up with that??

?Raping cylons?

?Kangaroo courts?

?Executing soldiers?

?A cylon Death Star?

?Kain and Adama going to war?

?Did Baltar's mental friend really not know about the Pegasus cylon?

?How many cylons are on the Pegasus? Maybe Kain too?

?Is the President not also the Comander in Chief?

O_o
  • Reply 90 of 158
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    This was great TV but I kind of wish they hadn't been found by the Pegasus. Now the writers need to find a way to get rid of it. They'll either part ways or the Pegasus will be blown up from the admirals hubris. Either way it strike me as kind of silly.

Besides I'm thinking this is a Cylon ship. Let's hope it didn't jump the shark.
  • Reply 91 of 158
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

While reading your reply I had the thought about "How all of this has happened before" as quoted by blondie. Maybe the end will be when the humans find out that they are really just the cylon children of Earth.

My head just exploded.
  • Reply 92 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crson O'Genic

Maybe the end will be when the humans find out that they are really just the cylon children of Earth.

So when they reach Earth it will be dead with a lone satellite signal saying, "Wrong way, go back to Caprica. Do not pass Sol do not collect 6 billion people." Oh no?

Quote:

Originally posted by Crson O'Genic

My head just exploded.

O_o That's gota hurt.
  • Reply 93 of 158
    AquaMac, some good points.

Without going point to point I'll just add;

>The Pegasus has been operating strictly as a military raider without the constraints of having to "babysit" civilians. Considering that a large part of her crew were killed in the initial attacks, she has survived by following HARSH military code.

>The Galactica (and fleet) has survived by doing almost the opposite out of necessity. If the shoe were on the other foot...

>Even the "good guys" wil commit horrendous acts under the pressure of war.

Overall, tonight's BSG episode was excellence... Can hardly wait for the next season.

Ps. Atlantis was kind of cool tonight. I give up on SG1. It's time for them to pull up the tent stakes.
  • Reply 94 of 158
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I think they call this Civil War.
  • Reply 95 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

AquaMac, some good points.

Without going point to point I'll just add;

>The Pegasus has been operating strictly as a military raider without the constraints of having to "babysit" civilians. Considering that a large part of her crew were killed in the initial attacks, she has survived by following HARSH military code.

>The Galactica (and fleet) has survived by doing almost the opposite out of necessity. If the shoe were on the other foot...

>Even the "good guys" wil commit horrendous acts under the pressure of war.

Overall, tonight's BSG episode was excellence... Can hardly wait for the next season.

Ps. Atlantis was kind of cool tonight. I give up on SG1. It's time for them to pull up the tent stakes.

In total agreement. Anyone who hasn't listened to Ron Moore's podacast, I encourage you to do so. He adds a lot to the developing ideas of this episode, and he must've enjoyed it a lot: he smoked about 5 cigarettes during the podcast.

While I don't think that the Pegasus is truly the Galacatca antithesis, as hardhead enumerates (and I seem to be writing the same thing), Cain's ship has been alone after its blind jump away from the original Cylon attack. It's been removed from society, and its not had the responsibility of maintaining a society (government, etc.).

Other than the lack of leadership Cain has in not controlling the crew in assaulting the Cylon, I wouldn't fault her in any of her decisions (she now has another military asset and needs to use it as she sees fit). Her indictments and analysis of Adama's logs were dead on.

The scene with Boomer was very, very shocking--though nothing was shown, only the set-up: very good film making.

This episode, according to Moore, was to be 90 minutes (which is the version the director submitted). While they did trim it to 60 minutes, the 90 minute version will be on the Season 2 DVDs ("a much richer meal" according to Moore).
  • Reply 96 of 158
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

In total agreement. ...[snip]...This episode, according to Moore, was to be 90 minutes (which is the version the director submitted). While they did trim it to 60 minutes, the 90 minute version will be on the Season 2 DVDs ("a much richer meal" according to Moore).

Speaking of DVDs, Space:Above and Beyond is now available on DVD (Took 'em long enough!).

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 97 of 158
    Oh yeah! Got my copy...

Before BSG, maybe the best "gritty" TV SciFi. Yes, B5 maybe had the most complex and complete continuing plotline. No argument there. SAAB was "dirtier". Hoorahh.

Back to BSG. What a great show...
  • Reply 98 of 158
    whoa. awesome. BSG... raping cyclons bit was very very disturbing. but yeah, civil war appears to be where it is headed now, since pegasus got into the mix and were all like, "we're number one!!"

the most engaging/disturbing part is this reminds me of my experience in a smaller company when it got bought over by a bigger, more (necessarily ruthless?) company. tragic.

the sharon and number six scenes were very tough. but good on sci-fi, they've learnt a lot from realityTV, if i dare say so.

in the meantime, WTF is up with survivor? i watched some of episode2 of guatemala survivor and i was like, what is the fun in seeing these 20people suffer, horrendously skinny chicks, and guys puking their guts out from heat/ exhaustion/ dehydration/ etc... ???
  • Reply 99 of 158
    Fellas, I beg to defer, it is most certainly not going to be "civil war". The vast majority of the fleet will side with Adama. Even Zarek's peeps would probably throw in with the Galactica against the Pegasus (as run by Cain).

The Peg could probably mop the floor with the entire Galactica led "fleet". No, a military confrontation would not work out in Galactica's favor.

The Peg's chain of command will have to be re-arranged from within. Keep in mind that Cain and her crew are a harder and more militeristic version of the Galactica in the beginning before Roslin applied her Earth mother influence to the proceedings. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 100 of 158
    fair enough hardhead, good points. roslin needs to work her "OMGawds i am a dying earth mother" routine on Cain & officers and "soften" them up.

<totally off topic rant>

just finished Half Life 2 yesterday. stunning. absolutely brilliant. unlike doom3, they actually leveraged their new engine for some fantastic gameplay elements that fit in well into the storyline. just wait till the "Our Benefactors" level. won't spoil it for you, but it really takes you on a journey storywise, designwise, gameplay-wise...

and the way the striders actually destroying building geometry is truly jaw-droppingly surprising...

doom3 i felt was just, okay, brand new engine, same ol' gameplay. i didn't play much past first few levels.

</totally off topic rant>