Sci-Fi GeekOut This Friday Night (USA)

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 158
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

(and perhaps X-Files or Millennium is the better comparison, since both of those left me feeling as if I'd been dutifully trying to piece things together only to find that the creators didn't seem to be sure where they were headed. My particular beef with TP is simply that I don't trust, nor do I particularly care for, David Lynch (with the exception of The Straight Story or whatever it was called...about the lawnmowers).

That's cool. For some reason I hold TP dear--like an ex-girlfriend that's a glorious train wreck. Of Lynch I have a love/indifference. I've enjoyed all of his movies, but I don't own them, nor do I feel like watching them again (except Dune and The Elephant Man if they're on cable).

To stray a bit OT: Millenium was a show that Fox rewarded Carter, and the network didn't know what to do with. It's first season was so incredibly dark that it (ahem) alienated (and creeped out) some die-hard X-F heads (my wife included). I adored the first season and am shocked that some of the eps passed Standards and Practices. It makes the current Night Stalker seem utterly white bread. Its second season, with Morgan and Wong running the show, got re-directed away from satanic psycho of the week, and the third seemed just a bone thrown to Carter so it could be run in syndication. The first season Lucy Butler eps are my favorite.

A bit closer to topic: Mentioning Morgan and Wong, as was posted up-thread, Space: Above and Beyond is coming on DVD, but it is available now as a Best Buy exclusive. I've been watching a couple episodes each Friday in between Firefly on Sci-Fi and BSG. While the effect of 9/11 has become too much marketspeak as explanation for darker creative efforts, it really does apply in watching S:AaA and BSG back-to-back. It is an interesting juxtaposition.

I really like S:AaA and its gung-ho Semper Fi themes. Its theme music is wonderful (and so different from BSG's). It is quite good and stands the test of time (hard to believe it's 10 years old). I watched the final episode last Friday and am sorry it ended. Morgan and Wong's credit at the end says "AMF" (Adios, motherf*ckers) to Fox for axing the show. It was, though, the most expensive show produced up to that time.

Also I'm really digging Firefly. I hope Serenity is still in theaters when Sci-Fi finishes the 13 episode run in a couple weeks.
  • Reply 142 of 158
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Midwinter, your LOST wiki is a spectacular labor of love. My complements.

Danke. Feel free to spread the word.

Quote:

However, come on midwinter, the survivors as portrayed on LOST are STUPID. Frakken cripes, let?s go take a stroll through the jungle that Lostzilla uses to mark its territory? What an island full of dopes and crybabies. Yes, I realize that in itself is a plot device but sheesh?

Actually, there's an episode where Hurley makes exactly the same complaints you do. In other words, the show is aware of what you perceive to be a weakness.
  • Reply 143 of 158
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

...... Most of which by the way (sorry suni?) I felt stunk. The exceptions being First Contact and The Wrath Of Khan. Just my humble opinion.

dont forget, in star trek nemesis (spoiler warning) data "flies off" the damaged part of the star trek ship with no gravity and no force field thereby 'leaping onto' the enemy ship
  • Reply 144 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by Ebby

OK, maybe it is not Friday, but I just found out 3 stations have picked up Farscape and FOX is playing Stargate Atlantis. It is nice to see more Sci-fi on OTA broadcasts. (Even if it is old.)

hey... so would farscape on fox be available in 720p HDTV in some locales? that would be cool no? or do some of y'all get sci-fi channel in HDTV already...

I think I saw SA in HD briefly flicking throught the channels the other day. I'm not a SA fan (I liked the movie SG, but couldn't stand the acting in the SG series), so I didn't pay much attention other than to notice that it was on channel 702 (FOX HD) and not on the SciFI channel.

SciFi channel and commedy central, are both very much analog regular old TV. The Daily show on CC is particularly pixilated and even the audio distorts using my comcast/motorola DVR box (which decodes HD beautifully but sucks for analog). I wish I could watch BSG in HD, oh that would be most wonderful.
  • Reply 145 of 158
    I watched Invasion and Night Stalker last week. Invasion was creepy and looked promising, Night Stalker was more so-so, but I'll give it another try this week.

Anybody else?
  • Reply 146 of 158
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

**raises hand** i have tha UK version! what do ya want to know?

edit: oops, i only have the UK version of the miniseries, NOT season one.

I am wondering if the UK version has more extra features or if the episodes themselves are longer. I am not worried about getting more extras, but I would like to have longer episodes (extended/additional scenes) because the extra footage can change the feel of the episodes.
  • Reply 147 of 158
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

dont forget, in star trek nemesis (spoiler warning) data "flies off" the damaged part of the star trek ship with no gravity and no force field thereby 'leaping onto' the enemy ship

And The Undiscovered Country where the Klingon Chancellor's ship loses gravity...
  • Reply 148 of 158
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

And The Undiscovered Country where the Klingon Chancellor's ship loses gravity...

is that where the assasins use the gravity boots to smoke everyone while they are floating around? and some nice CG zero-g purple klingon blood? that was pretty innovative use of loss-of-gravity in sci-fi
  • Reply 149 of 158
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    And kids as far as BSG goes well we all know the good stuff ( in any tv series ) doesn't start until the 3rd season!
  • Reply 150 of 158
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

And kids as far as BSG goes well we all know the good stuff ( in any tv series ) doesn't start until the 3rd season!

Speaking of season three, I saw on TV last night that this Friday we can see an all new Battlestar Galactica episode. The SciFi website has a game you can play, but it doesn't have Safari listed as one of the required browsers which might explain why both levels kept spinning making it impossible to play the game.
  • Reply 151 of 158
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    In case anyone's keeping track, I'm still ticked off with all of you.

We in Canada still have a couple weeks before BSG Season Two gets underway.
  • Reply 152 of 158
    bitTorrent mate i'm fully up to speed with all the Threshold (cancelled though ) , BSG season 1 and 2, 4400 season 1 and 2, Lost season 2 (okay i'm starting to understand what the show is about now)... and this is here in the Jungles with absolute rubbish dsl broadband...
  • Reply 153 of 158
    I just got done watching Battlestar Galactica and it looks like this season is going to be a violent one. The Cylons are going to stop their missions and watch the humans go at each other.
  • Reply 154 of 158
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Wow! Great Battlestar episode!

Really looking forward to next week!
  • Reply 155 of 158
    wow... that was so good, I think I'll watch it again.
  • Reply 156 of 158
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    No kidding, BSG was smoking! Cmdr. Cain sounds like she became completely unhinged after the initial Cylon attack. From the stories being laid out this episode it sounds like a mutiny could occur on the Pegasus.

Anyone watch either of the Stargate episodes? Found it amusing to watch everyone acting junk-sick on the Atlantis episode. I like the idea of the wraith enemy, but I wish they'd lose the female commander at Atlantis.