Apple selling one million iPod shuffles a month?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer may have met an internally kept goal of selling one million iPod shuffles a month during the first fiscal quarter in which the flash-based digital music player was widely available.



Out of the nearly 6.2 million iPods the company shipped during its third fiscal quarter of 2005, about 3 million were likely iPod shuffles, according to research by American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu.



The analyst arrived at this conclusion through calculations that took into account the average selling price (ASP) of iPods during the quarter, and how this compared with volume and ASP prices from previous quarters.



If accurate, it's believed Apple would have met an internal goal it set for sales of the flash player in the latter months of 2004, just before it was announced. Fiscal quarters last three months.



According to Wu, the company's higher-than-expected iPod sales likely benefited from "a strong sell-in into Hewlett-Packard channels," accounting for nearly half a million iPods.



Massive sales of lower-margin iPods like the shuffle may have also done their part to lower Apple's overall gross margin, which came in at 29.7%, a decline of 10 basis points quarter to quarter. Wu had expected the gross margin to come in at over 30%.



Ignoring Apple's low-ball guidance, which Wu believes is an effort by Apple to temper expectations for successive quarters, American Technology Research raised estimates its Apple estimates to $1.44 for fiscal year 2005 (up from $1.38) and $1.60 for fiscal year 2006 (up from $1.55).



For the September quarter, the firm is modeling $3.6 billion in revenue, 36 cents earnings per share, and 7.1 million iPods verses its previous view of $3.6 billion in revenue, 35 cents per share earnings, and 6.6 million iPods.



Apple's official guidance for the quarter is $3.5 billion in revenue and earnings of 32 cents per share.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 34
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Meanwhile, Sony beat Apple's sales in Japan for flash-based players.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Does Apple still make computers?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Damn, I knew iPods were popular, but I didn't know they were this much so.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    The report I read said that HP was only 8% of iPod's sold. I actually would like to see that much higher to keep HP happy, but how do you trust for statistics...?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 697member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by geekdreams

    Meanwhile, Sony beat Apple's sales in Japan for flash-based players.



    Apple has 20% of the flash market without a Japanese iTunes store. That market share will change when the store opens in August.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 697member
    Oh, Apple still owns the hard drive based music player market in Japan.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 1984

    Does Apple still make computers?



    Yes, as a matter of fact, they're making (and more importantly selling) more than ever.



    Record sales numbers don't impress you?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    What are the new apple marketshare numbers, with this new quarter's blowout?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macslut

    Yes, as a matter of fact, they're making (and more importantly selling) more than ever.



    Record sales numbers don't impress you?




    But Apple's computer market has looked stale for about 2 years now.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CrunchinJelly

    But Apple's computer market has looked stale for about 2 years now.



    Apple has sold more Macintosh computers in the last quarter than in each quarter in the past five years.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    apple had it's best financial quarter in it's history wow, what a bout a halo affect as they move toward intel
  • Reply 12 of 34
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    seems unrealistic. i sell either 3 or 4 minis and 1 or 2 20GB for each shuffle i sell. so either im lying, and im not or a lot of shuffle sales are coming from the website... or people just dont like buying shuffles from me.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by fahlman

    Apple has 20% of the flash market without a Japanese iTunes store. That market share will change when the store opens in August.



    That could help tip the Shuffle in favor because feature-wise its a dud compared with Sony's players. I understand Apple's minimalist approach but with build-in radio, three line OLED display and 50 hour battery life it has respectable competition.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by IonYz

    That could help tip the Shuffle in favor because feature-wise its a dud compared with Sony's players. I understand Apple's minimalist approach but with build-in radio, three line OLED display and 50 hour battery life it has respectable competition.



    I would not use any of that. If then want to spend design/manufacturing money, I would rather that they just bump up the capacity.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    chabigchabig Posts: 626member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    Fiscal quarters last three months.



    Was this really necessary?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by macslut

    Yes, as a matter of fact, they're making (and more importantly selling) more than ever.



    Apple no longer discloses the sales numbers of individual model lines for "competitive reasons" or in other words, to hide which models are selling well and which models are selling poorly. They can be selling more models overall but that doesn't mean all models are selling equally well.



    Quote:

    Record sales numbers don't impress you?



    No, as someone looking for a new computer, models that are not woefully outdated impress me.



  • Reply 17 of 34
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Myself included, there are total of 3 in my family bought the iPod Shuffle last month
  • Reply 18 of 34
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by AppleInsider

    Apple Computer may have met an internally kept goal of selling one million iPod shuffles a month during the first fiscal quarter in which the flash-based digital music player was widely available.

    If accurate, it's believed Apple would have met an internal goal it set for sales of the flash player in the latter months of 2004, just before it was announced. Fiscal quarters last three months.

    Apple's official guidance for the quarter is $3.5 billion in revenue and earnings of 32 cents per share.




    I'm happy but suprized at this news. Since the shuffle came out it seemed that its main goal was to be bait for the flash market to look into Apples iPods. Then have them upgrade themselfs to a iPod mini. I guess more people stuck to getting a shuffle then I would have thought. \ Holy Chah-Chah-Chah! Batman. I need to get one of those for my utility belt.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 1984

    Apple no longer discloses the sales numbers of individual model lines for "competitive reasons" or in other words, to hide which models are selling well and which models are selling poorly. They can be selling more models overall but that doesn't mean all models are selling equally well.



    So? They are still selling more than ever. They could all be Mac minis but they are still Macs and the user base is growing faster than the industry as a whole.



    I don't see Dell disclosing numbers on each of their numerous models either, and at least we don't have to have a lot of threads where couch CEOs are blabbering about how good or bad each model is selling - and why.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JLL

    So? They are still selling more than ever. They could all be Mac minis but they are still Macs and the user base is growing faster than the industry as a whole.



    What in the world are you talking about? Please tell me how this helps someone waiting for a long, long overdue iBook update? No one is arguing about their sales/stock performace. Yeah, it's good news but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference when shopping for a new computer. Their iBook and Mac mini are looking pitiful. How does a good stock price help? It has nothing to do with it.
Sign In or Register to comment.