New Apple hardware expected next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eAi

Powerbooks and mac minis are hardly interchangeable. They have entirely different target users and I don't think many people who want a portable computer would buy a mac mini and carry it, a screen, a keyboard and a mouse around with them...

I have to agree. The update is for Back to school products, and the PowerBook isn't one of those. I'm surprised if this were a BTS update why there is no mention of the eMac? Think Maybe Apple is doing away with the old CRT, and substituting the mini in it's place?
  • Reply 22 of 165
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Perhaps they're waiting for the flat screens to be cheap enough to stick in an emac? On the other hand, CRTs are more suitable for education use and they are more sturdy... The problem with minis in education is they're rather stealable...
  • Reply 23 of 165
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

1.67ghz in the mini or ibook WON'T happen, because the powerbook is at 1.67 ghz. Unless Powerbooks are updated with a minor speed bump to 1.8ghz. If it does happen, Powerbook sales will fall.

The mini is built for switchers, to surf the net and listen to music and ?, not for high end professionals.

PowerBook sales will drop because of a 1.67 GHz Mac mini? no.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'd jump on this.

What would a widescreen 14" screen be in terms of resolution?

The iMac 17" is 1440x800 or something. I imagine a 14" display will be less than that. Will be 16:10, not std. 16:9, for the dock though.
  • Reply 25 of 165
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    As far as 13" displays are concerned, I think Apple would use the same display as Sony's S Series: 1280x800. If they use a 14" display, it'll be 1280x768.
  • Reply 26 of 165
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Lets edit my post here and put 1,67 ghz in ibook will hurt powerbook sales.

Macmini will get minor bump, but I doubt it will get 1.67 ghz unless Apple is sitting on huge supplies or still has on order with Freescale.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

As far as 13" displays are concerned, I think Apple would use the same display as Sony's S Series: 1280x800. If they use a 14" display, it'll be 1280x768.

Wait a minute. The rumor was always 14.1 inch widescreens. I never saw any rumors about 13.3 inch widescreens. It's going to be 14 inch widescreen or bust.
  • Reply 28 of 165
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    now what if Apple decided to stand us on our ear and blow our minds with a $699 mac mini...intel version?

not likely but interesting. More likely, 1.5 with all the options, basic keyboard and mouse, perhaps.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Just pimp up the GPU...

I don´t really care about the speed of the CPU. Its really not that kind of computer.

It's also not the kind of computer that needs a "pimped up" GPU. The mini is not for big-time gaming or video production or anything else graphics intensive!

What the mini needs is more RAM...more RAM...more RAM.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's also not the kind of computer that needs a "pimped up" GPU. The mini is not for big-time gaming or video production or anything else graphics intensive!

No. But being the first update since Tiger it needs to support it fully (and by todays standards it isn´t graphic intensive). It needs the 9600, not necessary 64 mb VRAM.
  • Reply 31 of 165
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Wait a minute. The rumor was always 14.1 inch widescreens. I never saw any rumors about 13.3 inch widescreens. It's going to be 14 inch widescreen or bust.

Exactly!

While 13.3 is nice, it's just too close to the 12" to position apart.

Any thoughts as to whether these iBooks will allow true spanning (i.e. no hack required)? I'm not talking DVI (although that would be nice too), but simple VGA analog spanning like most PC laptops have.
  • Reply 32 of 165
    twotwo Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

now what if Apple decided to stand us on our ear and blow our minds with a $699 mac mini...intel version?

not likely but interesting. More likely, 1.5 with all the options, basic keyboard and mouse, perhaps.

A 14" BTO Pentium M iBook for developers on the go and very early adopters would be pretty cool. Maybe a disclaimer at the apple store warning most consumers it is not ready for everyone yet. Not bloody likely, but it would be cool.

I want an iBook pretty bad, but have no real need for one right now. It should be pretty interesting to see what uncle Steve can actually give us in terms of updates the way the products sit right now.

*Edit: actually, on 2nd thought, a BTO 2.2 GHz pentium M PowerBook would be more likely; which is to say not very. But if the PowerMacs are the last to be switched and they can get some of those out the door to developers, I would think the laptop designs would be further ahead. Steve might have realized some Intel coders would like a machine to take home and why not get some field testing done with a few consumers crazy enough to buy them with limited support. LOL, sorry, just thinking out loud.
  • Reply 33 of 165
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Just pimp up the GPU...

Now, who will explain to us non-native english speakers what exactly "pimp up" means? Not that I don't understand the context, but my dictionary says funny "pimping" things .
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Exactly!

While 13.3 is nice, it's just too close to the 12" to position apart.

Any thoughts as to whether these iBooks will allow true spanning (i.e. no hack required)? I'm not talking DVI (although that would be nice too), but simple VGA analog spanning like most PC laptops have.

The only way I can see Apple have spanning on the iBooks but only using VGA is if the came out with a VGA display themselves. (Maybe an eMac like design with a CRT with out the computer in the bottom. a 3 port USB and 2 port FireWire Hub built-in... It would be perfect for the iBook and the Mac Mini) But thats not likely to happen. So instead, Apple should just offer Mini-DVI on the iBook.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Not that I don't understand the context, but my dictionary says funny "pimping" things .

ROTFLMAO!
  • Reply 36 of 165
    YAY, can't wait
  • Reply 37 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

..... I'm surprised if this were a BTS update why there is no mention of the eMac? .....

The eMac is already sitting pretty. updated just a few months ago, it's actually decent value for those that don't mind the CRT all-in-oner.

1.42ghz g4

167mhz bus

ati radeon 9600 64mb vram dedicated

8x superdrive with dual-layer 2.4x burning on the superdrive version

256mb ram tho'....
  • Reply 38 of 165
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Maybe they gonna replace the actual iBooks and PowerBook 12" with one model and cut the price of the PowerBooks 15" and 17":

NewBook 13.3" 1.50GHz HD40/Combo ATI9600/64 $999

NewBook 14.1" 1.50GHz HD80/SuperDrive ATI9600/64 $1299

PowerBook 15" 1.50GHz HD60/Combo ATI9700/64 $1499

PowerBook 15" 1.50GHz HD80/SuperDrive ATI9700/64 $1699

PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz HD100/SuperDrive ATI9700/128 $1999

PowerBook 17" 1.67GHz HD100/SuperDrive ATI9700/128 $2299

167MHz FSB, 512MB RAM (exp to 2GB), 5400rpm HDs, Extended Video Output

For the Mac mini, i keep my previsions:

1.42GHz 512MB HD40@5400 Combo ATI9600/64 $499 (it's very close to the actual eMac architecture)

1.50GHz 512MB HD80@5400 Combo ATI9600/64 $599

1.67GHz 512MB HD80@5400 SuperDrive ATI9600/64 $699
  • Reply 39 of 165
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    That would make quite an update. It seems feasible. Maybe they will lose the 14" in the lineup , because of the difference 14"-15".

Nice post mjteix.
  • Reply 40 of 165
    I just got my iBook today so I hope that the change is not huge. I got the upgraded ram and marddrive but I must admit I am a little concerned.