New Apple hardware expected next week

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Not much bigger, about an inch. That's not a big 'sacrifice' for quite a bit performance gain + cheaper price.

Um... you really don't understand Apple do you?
  • Reply 102 of 165
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

please share apple's intelligence and sense on this issue because I would love to hear it.
  • Reply 103 of 165
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Blimey mugwump.

We do have Treos, Blackberrys and PocketPC (and Windows Mobile) devices in Europe too as well you know and too many WindowsMobile devices even such as all the rebadged HTC devices Orange, Vodaphone and T-Mobile ship that Apple don't support, which is what I was complaining about.

We often get phones here way ahead of the USA or phones that support particular European technology that you don't have, for whatever reason, and it takes Apple some time to support if ever. They never did fully support my Nokia 6310i or my 7110. OSX 10.4.2 finally seems to have brought almost flawless Symbian Series 60 and UIQ support. Panther was a bit patchy. Motorola Bluetooth support still sucks. The only phone that never caused me any grief at all was the T610 - it was perfect.

I've owned a Palm PDA since the Palm Vx. Sadly they've not really changed at all and haven't managed to upgrade the OS to match WindowsMobile in features.

The Treo650 is bulky and not a good phone IMHO. I did a side by side comparison over the space of a month with a 910i and a Treo600 at the time and the 910i is simply a better phone and the included apps good enough that I couldn't care a rats ass about Palm compatibility. I was moving from a Palm Tungsten PDA and SE T610 at the time so I really wanted to give the Treo the win but the SE910i was smaller, faster, less buggy, supported bluetooth and just worked better as a phone. It also supported email better than the Treo and I preferred the ssh tools on the p910i. If I was being honest, I'd even say the Orange C500 WindowsMobile phone is arguably better too though the prospect of Windows on a phone just makes me cringe.

I'll stand by my statement that we get the tech first - My first data enabled phone was an Ericsson GS18 in 1997 and I was using that attached to a Psion 3a, Cambridge Z88 and finally a Palm Vx back then with word documents so getting all excited about your Treo doing it almost a decade later meets with an almighty 'So?' from this side of the pond. I've not had an analogue phone since 1994. It's just so much easier to do things like 3G when you live on a small island with almost 70 million people crammed on it.

So if Apple were to stick some crummy Motorola phone hardware in a laptop it'd have to be suitable for Europe. If it's just ok for the US then it's already obsolete. The Moto phones are always behind the curve here in Europe.
  • Reply 104 of 165
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

please share apple's intelligence and sense on this issue because I would love to hear it.

Please allow me. Apple cripples certain hardware so if you want something better you have to pay more money. Putting mobile hard drives in the mini, Apple knows certain people will want Power Macs or iMacs instead. Call it up-sales or whatever; that's what they've always done. Another example would be crippling monitor spanning in the iBook so you have to buy a PowerBook if you want that.
  • Reply 105 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Please allow me. Apple cripples certain hardware so if you want something better you have to pay more money. Putting mobile hard drives in the mini, Apple knows certain people will want Power Macs or iMacs instead. Call it up-sales or whatever; that's what they've always done. Another example would be crippling monitor spanning in the iBook so you have to buy a PowerBook if you want that.

no.

the issue here is none of that, you might like to think that but it's wrong.

the issue is Jobs' desire to make things complex and aesthetic over business sense and simplicity.

switching to a standard 3.5 inch desktop hard drive would result in 4 main things

1. Faster

2. Larger capacity

3. Cheaper

4. Larger case

Apple...cough Jobs cough.... of course chooses that 1 beats 3. Makes sense of course...oh wait...no it doesn't. Switching to a desktop hard drive would make the mac mini have larger margins and be more appealing to consumers. The only negative is it would impact slightly its small design. And for whatever reason, Jobs refuses to do that. It's been that way many times.

The Cube had the same exact limitations set on it.

Well, here's reality for you and Jobs, portable hard drives are not progressing to keep up with desktop demands. So eventually the mac mini will either die or change to a 3.5 inch hard drive. It may as well happen now.
  • Reply 106 of 165
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

[B],,,,,,For the iBooks:

13.3" widescreen, new form factor (an hybrid between the PB 12" and the iBook 14"), [email protected]/1.5GHz, 167MHz FSB, 512MB RAM, HD@5400, ATImobility9600/64MB.

1.42Ghz HD40 Combo $999

:thumbs: dude as long as that's 1280x720 or so, i am all over that. that would be bloody bloody perfect. i got a 512mb pc2700 sodimm WAITING to bring it to 1gb, that with the 5400rpm drive, 40gb (probably 60gb maybe??) would be awesome.

jesus christ. we all need to get a life. apple please please put us out of our misery in 12 hours time. PLEASE! we're going crazy talkin about bunny rabbits and hsit.
  • Reply 107 of 165
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

no.

the issue here is none of that, you might like to think that but it's wrong.

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. IMO it's all about making you buy the more expensive models. The mini is designed to be cute, to attract first time buyers. Others will want more.
  • Reply 108 of 165
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think it's unusual that ThinkSecret doesn't have the specs, yet they are supposedly coming TOMORROW. It would seem to me that whatever is coming is supersecret under wraps, which suggests widescreens, new form factors, and the like.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think it's unusual that ThinkSecret doesn't have the specs, yet they are supposedly coming TOMORROW. It would seem to me that whatever is coming is supersecret under wraps, which suggests widescreens, new form factors, and the like.

either that or everybody's too scared to leak anything lest they be made an example of like the last person - forced to sit in a glass cage in the lobby with no toilet and just a unprotected windows 95 machine running at 800x600res and a 33.6k modem to do all their work.

the blood-curdling screams of "please kill me already...!" which echoed through the hallowed corridors of 1 infinite loop continues to serve as a timely reminder to all that are tempted by the guiles of dePlume and his devious ilk.

1984? 2005 at Apple. How ironic
  • Reply 110 of 165
    let me state for the record: FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE.

Engadget reports on 'accidental' apple website image

http://engadget.com/entry/1234000913051801/

http://img.engadget.com/common/image...04132993058555

1. no way in hell apple is going to use a subaru world rally picture.

2. how can the title say see everything in widescreen when the 12" looks 4:3?

3. the lower 500million songs sold panel is so lamely done. this is a better example of how it could be done IMHO :

http://homepage.mac.com/sunilraman/ibook_000.jpg
  • Reply 111 of 165
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the update, if it is coming this week, will be on Wednesday, and not Tuesday as originally thought.

There's one indicator if new hardware is coming and that's when the Order Status site becomes temporarily unavailable the evening prior to a morning update. Now they have redone and revamped that site a little bit, so they may have rectified whatever problem was causing them to take it offline before product updates. Be that as it may, I use that as my final guage of whether or not something is indeed coming, and right now with it still online my inclination is no.
  • Reply 112 of 165
    Quote:

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. IMO it's all about making you buy the more expensive models. The mini is designed to be cute, to attract first time buyers. Others will want more.

Yeah, true...both of you...

The problem is here that there is no in-between headless mac between the mini and the PM...c'mon Apple...I want a headless iMac...
  • Reply 113 of 165
    Quote:

if it was because of what you though Apple would simply include 40 and 80GB 3.5 inch hard drives and save a lot of money per unit.

clearly it is not because of that reason
  • Reply 114 of 165
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I have a sneaking suspicion that the update, if it is coming this week, will be on Wednesday, and not Tuesday as originally thought.

There's one indicator if new hardware is coming and that's when the Order Status site becomes temporarily unavailable the evening prior to a morning update. Now they have redone and revamped that site a little bit, so they may have rectified whatever problem was causing them to take it offline before product updates. Be that as it may, I use that as my final guage of whether or not something is indeed coming, and right now with it still online my inclination is no.

the order status page was down tonight
  • Reply 115 of 165
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

I usually don't understand half-assed, stupid decisions. Apple, (un)fortunately, is no exception.
  • Reply 116 of 165
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Look Aging, again, let me reiterate that I'm not going to stink up an entire mac future hardware thread over mobile phone assertions, even though you insist on laying fallacy on top of untruths, over pompous and outdated beliefs.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/3963.html

Let's just say that four years ago when Europe was testing the waters with rudimentary Symbian smartphones, (5 lines of monochrome text) I was logging in and administering remote servers, publishing web pages, and fully html web browsing with the initial Treo communicator. Anyone in the US would take a "crackberry" over remote car meter parking in a heartbeat, and as you stated, the mobile Windows market is unfortunately gobbling up marketshare.

Oh yeah, and the above devices do find their way over to Europe as well, only a half-year later.

Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Blimey mugwump.

We often get phones here way ahead of the USA or phones that support particular European technology that you don't have, for whatever reason, and it takes Apple some time to support if ever.

• Reply 117 of 165
    yeah i think the mobile phone discussion is starting to stray way off topic and appears to have got a bit sour let us go back to NEW IBOOKS YEAHHHHHHH
  • Reply 118 of 165
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mugwump

Look Aging, again, let me reiterate that I'm not going to stink up an entire mac future hardware thread over mobile phone assertions, even though you insist on laying fallacy on top of untruths, over pompous and outdated beliefs.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/3963.html

Let's just say that four years ago when Europe was testing the waters with rudimentary Symbian smartphones, (5 lines of monochrome text) I was logging in and administering remote servers, publishing web pages, and fully html web browsing with the initial Treo communicator. Anyone in the US would take a "crackberry" over remote car meter parking in a heartbeat, and as you stated, the mobile Windows market is unfortunately gobbling up marketshare.

Oh yeah, and the above devices do find their way over to Europe as well, only a half-year later.

The Ericsson GS18 phone I mentioned was released in 1996, some 6 years before your Treo which was released in 2002 (Ie. 3 years ago, not 4). It was AFAIK, the first data capable phone on the market. Ericsson didn't even make it themselves - they bought the company that did. It was cable only, huge with a built in 9600baud fax modem and a power supply that used to overheat when charging.

I paired it up with a Z88, released in 1987 and a Psion 3a from 1993. I bought it specifically to do remote server work, email and html in 1997. Or I could have bought a Nokia 9000 Communicator in 1996 too. Or Ericssons MC218 a bit later based on the Psion 5.

4 years ago I'd moved on to using a Nokia 7110 and a Palm Vx still doing what you said you were doing on your yet to be released Treo.

I'm not being pompous - anything but - but you're quite wrong if you think the Treo was cutting edge or ahead of it's time. I'm sure you've just got your dates a bit fuzzy.

But it just shows that if Apple were to include ANY phone technology, as suggested way back earlier in the post that I was originally responding to, it'd be very quickly out of date. In Europe we'd want 3G now and probably WiMax in 6 months to a year. In the US there's so many competing technologies that including anything would be pointless. The stack of phones and organizers I've got with different technologies dating back as far as the mid 80s just goes to prove the point I was making that building it into the computer is a waste.

I can change my phone every year for absolutely nothing to pick up the latest technology. I can't do the same with a laptop, nor would I want to.

It's the same as the endless cries for Sirius or XM Sat radio or even FM in the iPod. In Europe we've free digital terrestrial broadcasting of both TV and radio and the analogue signals are being turned off shortly. In much of Asia they're even further ahead. What are Apple going to do - release country specific models?
  • Reply 119 of 165
    mmmm i like soft baby kittens...
  • Reply 120 of 165
    Amazon.com shows iBook 14" combo drive and super drive as

"currently unavailable"