Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.3

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

I believe that we have established that internally Apple has two teams for periods of time. Like now there are two teams one for Tiger bugs which the size of that team is based on the amount of bugs and where. Tiger is not that much different from other releases, I think that Apple is working so quickly so that they can recommend it for sale to larger audences. Leopard is still like over a year away, Apple has the people that were working on H.264, as well as Rosetta and universal libraries, and all things OS ported to Intel. Looking back, I was surprised by the agressive time table for Tiger, but I was totally taken back when I learned about H.264, and the porting to Intel and Rosetta. It is now clear that Apple has done amazing things and may not have had the programmers that they needed for all of those jobs, Leopard will be different, Apple will have their whole team and will be able to focus on one thing, OS development. The product teams will port their software over and not much problem for them except for optimizing stuff like the pro apps, but it just so happens that Apple just purchased a company that does just that.

Apple can't afford the multiple teams that MS can. When one team is through, it's disbanded and the members sent to other projects. The pace of Tiger updates means that they haven't dropped most members of those teams as yet.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I personally have not experienced a single issue with Tiger, including 10.4.0. The only problem I have with it is that the damn thing insists on indexing volumes that I plug in. That is damn annoying, and needs to be turned off by default.

As far as iChat video, I have noticed a huge improvement in quality, though this is only there when video conferencing with other Tiger users (I am guessing it's because of the new h.264 codec).

For the record, I have upgraded the following computers, all within days Tiger's release:

1. Two iBook G4's

2. A PowerBook G4

3. A "Quicksilver" PowerMac G4 with dual 800MHz processors

4. An iMac G5

5. Some other computers around the office

Don't you think it's weird that I have not seen a single issue with any of these computers or any software? Actually now that I write it, I think I had to reinstall Photoshop due to an issue with opening files. But seriously, no issues.

Nope, NOT weird at all mate

I have put Tiger and all subsequent updates on

G5 PPC Dual 2gig, 1.5meg RAM (Work Machine, Graphic Design and everything that goes with it)

G4 PPC 400mhz - 20gig HD, 384meg RAM (Work Machine - Print Server and Radio)

G3 PPC 450mhz - 10gig HD, 512meg RAM (Home Machine, Iphoto, IMovie, Safari as well as Adobe CS Software and assorted other family junk.

IMac G5 (Mums Machine)

NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY of these machines except for following:-

G5 Mail.app did weird things until 10.4.3, now al fixed

G4 NO Problems whatsoever

G3 Would not shutdown under 10.4 and 10.4.2, 10.4.3 fixed this problem

G5 Imac, strange Iphoto behaviour under 10.4 but fixed with Iphoto Updates and 10.4.3

I LOVE Tiger, on all machines it is Snappier than Panther and each

update delivers more performance improvements.

Bikerdude

• Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

There is a problem with Suitcase.

Not Accurate in my understanding,

Quark fell WAY behind with compatibility for font handling in OS X from the very start, I have not even bothered upgrading to 6 as on my G5 PPC dual 2gig it simply doesn't recognise fonts properly or draw them with any clarity.

I only use Quark now for opening files, saving to version 4 and reopen in Indesign CS, PERFECT font clarity and recognition.

Surely it is up to Software vendors to keep up with System upgrades if the vendor wants to continue to have a face on the particular platform.

Quark has forever relied on a captive market that is now dwindling away because Adobe DOES keep up with what the System changes are

Suitcase has not had any issues since the release of Version X11, in fact works better now than ever before and I have used it since system 7.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Apple can't afford the multiple teams that MS can. When one team is through, it's disbanded and the members sent to other projects. The pace of Tiger updates means that they haven't dropped most members of those teams as yet.

Yes and I believe that everything is fine. Fast updates now means that the folks that are working on these updates will be able to sooner join the main Leopard team. Tiger was no small update, by any stretch. But unknown to us Apple also completed an update to Xcode that would allow both them and us to port to Intel and for those that cannot in the alloted time period they have Rosetta. This was a huge effort and now with Leopard Apple will not have to port the OS to Intel Tiger is, and they will not have to write the porting tools Xcode is up to date, and they will not have to write an immulation layer Rosetta is complete and appears to be running fine. So that is allot of people that will be able to devote more of their time to Leopard. To me the time to worry about MS was when Apple was working on Tiger, they had to release Tiger on an agressive time table and had to make sure that the porting tools were ready for the transition to Intel at the same time. They also had to complete work on H.264, no small feat. To me they now have more resources than ever, Leopard will not be clunky, Tiger is shaping up to be a fine release just like the rest, normal is three to six months os intense bug squashing and then trickle out the updates. Usually the first three come quickly, the next three naver come fast enough, and the last three are like who cares except for the added do-dads here and there. You point to MS having lots of developers and that Apple cannot afford to match them, and I point to all of the legacy that they have to maintain and to all of those hackers that are loading-up maybe even using Vista development builds and MS tools so they also are ready for the release. The MacOS and tools like iLife and others are just plain easy and productive to use. OSX is pretty secure, so far and that will continue to be the biggest selling point, the ease of use and other things will hold them.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikerdude

Not Accurate in my understanding,

Quark fell WAY behind with compatibility for font handling in OS X from the very start, I have not even bothered upgrading to 6 as on my G5 PPC dual 2gig it simply doesn't recognise fonts properly or draw them with any clarity.

I only use Quark now for opening files, saving to version 4 and reopen in Indesign CS, PERFECT font clarity and recognition.

Surely it is up to Software vendors to keep up with System upgrades if the vendor wants to continue to have a face on the particular platform.

Quark has forever relied on a captive market that is now dwindling away because Adobe DOES keep up with what the System changes are

Suitcase has not had any issues since the release of Version X11, in fact works better now than ever before and I have used it since system 7.

I will repeat. There IS a problem with suitcase. Quark Copydesk has a problem, but I haven't had a problem with Quark itself so far.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Yes and I believe that everything is fine. Fast updates now means that the folks that are working on these updates will be able to sooner join the main Leopard team. Tiger was no small update, by any stretch. But unknown to us Apple also completed an update to Xcode that would allow both them and us to port to Intel and for those that cannot in the alloted time period they have Rosetta. This was a huge effort and now with Leopard Apple will not have to port the OS to Intel Tiger is, and they will not have to write the porting tools Xcode is up to date, and they will not have to write an immulation layer Rosetta is complete and appears to be running fine. So that is allot of people that will be able to devote more of their time to Leopard. To me the time to worry about MS was when Apple was working on Tiger, they had to release Tiger on an agressive time table and had to make sure that the porting tools were ready for the transition to Intel at the same time. They also had to complete work on H.264, no small feat. To me they now have more resources than ever, Leopard will not be clunky, Tiger is shaping up to be a fine release just like the rest, normal is three to six months os intense bug squashing and then trickle out the updates. Usually the first three come quickly, the next three naver come fast enough, and the last three are like who cares except for the added do-dads here and there. You point to MS having lots of developers and that Apple cannot afford to match them, and I point to all of the legacy that they have to maintain and to all of those hackers that are loading-up maybe even using Vista development builds and MS tools so they also are ready for the release. The MacOS and tools like iLife and others are just plain easy and productive to use. OSX is pretty secure, so far and that will continue to be the biggest selling point, the ease of use and other things will hold them.

I would love it if you were right. But I don't believe it.

I remember all of the fans here who were saying that Tiger was fine, just fine. Apple has fixed almost 150 bugs already. I don't ever remember that many bugs that had to be fixed so quickly.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

I don't know, they've got an awful lot of money in the bank. I think maybe they can.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    personally i am happy with tiger's progress. i avoided 10.4.0 and only spent a few months on 10.4.1 before going to 10.4.2

Finder permissions IS horked though, i still don't get how to set permissions in the command-i or command-option-i window. the drop down boxes for owner, group, other, readwrite access, etc, do not usually respond properly**, and also they lack the Snappiness? we have gotten to love

and yes, i am too lazy to do the whole d-rwrxwrwrwxxxx whatever unix thing.

**particularly if you are trying to change the owner of a particular file, it not worky so goody. maybe it should come up to ask for root password?

well anyway luckily i am not the only one who noticed weird Finder permission thingamyjigs
  • Reply 49 of 69
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Don't be in such a rush to answer without checking first. That's not entirely true. OS X only defrags files that are 20MB and smaller. It's even more complex than that. If you have a large PS file scattered around your drive, it will remain so.

Well, maybe Apple doesn't see a need to include a feature that is useless and pointless for most users, and, as such, only adds to the confusion as to whether defragging is a useful or useless task. There are many, many, many people who defrag (mostly in the windows world, where its an included tool) who have no idea whether its helpful or not, they just think its something they need to do.

And maybe Apple doesn't want to spend the time, effort, and expense to make a defrag utility (something that can create huge problems and trouble reports, and something that needs to work 100% correctly and error free) when there's already a boatload of utilities out there that can already do it. (Geesh, if they did do this, people would be yelling about how they're stealing other people's ideas and money).

Me, I'd just prefer if Apple would get away for a while from their incessant feature-bloat they continue to throw at OS X, and actually work on making the pieces they have in there more stable and bug free. But no, rather than fix issues that have been in OS X since day one, we get Dashboard (boring and generally worthless as it is) and Spotlight (needs a LOT of work). Well, I shouldn't say dashboard is worthless. I can launch up some small gaming app while I wait for the finder to un-beachball itself when I make the mistake of trying to mount my iDisk.

Hey, I just wish they hadn't mucked with iSync. It worked great before, everything in one place. Now syncing to .Mac has to be done through the stupid .Mac preference pane (which seems to take forever to connect to the service), syncing to my iPod is done through iTunes (which makes absolutely no sense, what does syncing my contacts have to do with iTunes? But this is the same company that thinks syncing photos to an iPod belongs in iTunes as well). And syncing to anything else? Oh, that's through iSync. Just plain stupid. But, again, that's Apple. Changing stuff that worked and wasn't broken because they felt like it.

Another example: System Preferences. I want my toolbar back. I only use three or four preference panes often. Why should I have to always go hunting around for them? There's no reason the toolbar couldn't have stayed when Spotlight was added. But, no. Now they think people all type for ease of use, rather than allow you to have a 'favorites' concept. Idiotic!
  • Reply 50 of 69
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Oh, and it would be nice if, when upgrading v10.3 to v10.4, Apple didn't feel the need to add a boatload of bookmarks to my bookmarks bar in Safari. Or add icons to my dock. I tell you, these guys are becoming more and more like MS everyday (MS, the company that believes every windows update and service pack requires that Windows Media Player icons be added back to your start menu, desktop, quicklaunch bar, etc. You know, the same places Apple adds their stupid QuickTime icons when you install that on windows - though they also add their stupid 'system tray' icon as well).
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I don't know, they've got an awful lot of money in the bank. I think maybe they can.

Sure, except they aren't spending the money. They must have it earmaked for something, but it's not for R&D. That comes out of other funding, not investments.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Oh, and it would be nice if, when upgrading v10.3 to v10.4, Apple didn't feel the need to add a boatload of bookmarks to my bookmarks bar in Safari.

That was a confirmed bug and not something that'll happen again.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Quote:

Well, maybe Apple doesn't see a need to include a feature that is useless and pointless for most users, and, as such, only adds to the confusion as to whether defragging is a useful or useless task. There are many, many, many people who defrag (mostly in the windows world, where its an included tool) who have no idea whether its helpful or not, they just think its something they need to do.

And maybe Apple doesn't want to spend the time, effort, and expense to make a defrag utility (something that can create huge problems and trouble reports, and something that needs to work 100% correctly and error free) when there's already a boatload of utilities out there that can already do it. (Geesh, if they did do this, people would be yelling about how they're stealing other people's ideas and money).

It isn't a question of whether it's useless and pointless, because it isn't. When we do video peojects we have to re-format our drives becasuse erasing doesn't clean them up of all the little bits of junk that remain. Large graphics, audio, and publishing files get scattered around the drive as well, as do others. 20MB files aren't that large anymore. When UNIX programmers came up with this, files were much smaller, so this covered most of them. HD's were also much smaller. So its importance depends upon what you do, and the size of your drives. It's not cut and dry. For many people it's fine. For many others it's not. I have no doubt that it's one of the things that Apple investigates in it's R&D labs.

This is like many other things in the computer industry, it's not an absolute.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:

Another example: System Preferences. I want my toolbar back. I only use three or four preference panes often. Why should I have to always go hunting around for them? There's no reason the toolbar couldn't have stayed when Spotlight was added. But, no. Now they think people all type for ease of use, rather than allow you to have a 'favorites' concept. Idiotic!

umm but it is maybe better now with spotlight? just hit command-space or whatever, then type "Sound Pref", one or two down-arrow keypresses, hit enter, voila. you are at the sound preferences panel.

open your mind, and your mac will follow
  • Reply 55 of 69
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

umm but it is maybe better now with spotlight? just hit command-space or whatever, then type "Sound Pref", one or two down-arrow keypresses, hit enter, voila. you are at the sound preferences panel.

This takes longer. I want the toolbar back too. There was no reason for it to be taken out. It's the same if they took out the toolbar in Mail and made you type in a spotlight field that you want to start a new email.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I would love it if you were right. But I don't believe it.

I remember all of the fans here who were saying that Tiger was fine, just fine. Apple has fixed almost 150 bugs already. I don't ever remember that many bugs that had to be fixed so quickly.

Well, Panther was released on October 24 and 10.3.2 was released on December 18 - almost 2 months apart.

Tiger was released on April 29 and 10.4.2 was released on July 12 - two and a half months apart.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They aren't going to change Mail back to pretty Aqua from Retarded Rubberized Metal That Looks Like Shit theme, are they?
  • Reply 58 of 69
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I honestly don't care much for how it looks if it just doesn't work...
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I honestly don't care much for how it looks if it just doesn't work...

mikeF sorry to hear you still having Mail problems huh? did you do fresh install?

edit: you on IMAP or are you importing POP?
  • Reply 60 of 69
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Yeah, it was a fresh install of 10.4.0.

I am getting duplicate display of IMAP messages in the folders. The one that is a deal breaker for me is that sometimes sent mail doesn't ever get sent (and no error indicating that it didn't send).

After using it successfully on 10.3.x, I can no longer trust it. I am currently using Thunderbird which works just fine.