Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week began asking its developers to test and report back to the company on the first external pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.4.3, a forthcoming maintenance release to the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

Like the previously released Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update, tipsters say that Mac OS X 10.4.3 continues to focus on improving the overall reliability and stability of the Tiger OS.

The current build of the system update, rumored to be Mac OS X 10.4.3 build 8F8, is said to include over 40 bug fixes. Specifically, tipsters said the update addresses issues with .Mac, AppleScript, AFP Server communications, and Finder permissions.

Other improvements are rumored to include better handling of Japanese file names when communicating with a Windows server, improved handling of corrupt fonts, and Arabic characters display fixes.

Earlier this month Apple released Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update, which aimed to improve the overall reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X 10.4. It also delivered significant improvements to Tiger's Dashboard widget management environment, including a new Widget Manager.

Tipsters said the forthcoming Mac OS X 10.4.3 update currently weighs in at approximately 77MB in Combo form. It's expected to be released sometime in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is it Snappier?!!!!!!!!!?
  • Reply 2 of 69
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Updates are coming out of Apple at a pretty good pace. We'll be at 10.4.10 before we know it.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Of course it just *feels* snappier...but it's the worst upgrade *ever* in terms of bugs...no wait, it's finally the version of OS X that's ready for primetime. In fact, I just might buy one of those new PowerBooks they're going to announce on Tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

tiger is already extremely snappy unless you're using an outdated machine. it's even snappy on my parents 800Mhz eMac w/ 512MB ram.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

tiger is already extremely snappy unless you're using an outdated machine. it's even snappy on my parents 800Mhz eMac w/ 512MB ram.

We, as Apple/Mac/OS X users do not care at all about how "snappy" the current release of OS X and related updates is. Its all about how much snappier the next version is. Without that fine "snappier" goodness, an OS X update is pretty bland and pointless.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The current build of the system update, rumored to be Mac OS X 10.4.3 build 8F8, is said to include over 40 bug fixes.

10.4.2 was 8C46, now they are at 8F8 - either they had some really rotten build trains or they have done some x86-only stuff like forking developer builds.

Interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i am a bit concerned that there isn't a hint of airport improvements/fixes fromt he 10.4.2 "update." i know i'm not the only one who had their network break in epic fashion (we're talking the launch of a thousand lost bit-packets, friends). perhaps i didn't put enough frowning-smilies in my curse-laden diatribe to their humble "feedback form."

the good thing is that, while tiger was working, i had ridiculously fast airport access, compared to anything i got under panther.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    If it just fixes the disaster formally known as Mail.app, I'll be happy... for the time being, I am growing more accustomed to Thunderbird (just wish it had Address Book integration)
  • Reply 9 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope it fixes the Safari crashing problems and the Firewire problems which were introduced around 10.2 8 or so.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    I hope they finally fix all of the drawing glitches.

Has anyone else noticed many occurences of beachball-of-death holding-up-the-whole-system? I havent changed any hardware or drivers, yet this happens to me on 10.4.2 at least once a week.

I wish I'd have stayed with 10.3.6. It was rock-solid. For mem Tiger has been nothing but trouble.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    It's amazing how different areas of Tiger work perfectly for some and yet are totally broken for others. The only thing that has bothered me about Tiger has been the IMAP support in Mail.app. Aside from that, it's being rock solid on my iBook.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    yikes600yikes600 Posts: 85member
    Quote:

Of course it is, updates are always teh snappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 69
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    For me Mail is fine, it's the .Mac/Backup uselessness that is a problem,

And why can't we have a defrag utility standard?
  • Reply 14 of 69
    You know...Tiger was pretty forked up to us all as it was a late beta we got as retail. Shabby state of affairs that the initial release is still being corrected with the third update-ala Panther was too-and Jaguar before that. Not even going to dicuss what 10.1 was or the inadequate hardware it ran on.....here.....Apparently and obviously Apple fired all their good programmers and have hired talented KIDS. Well at least we have an understanding now that Steve Jobs problem is Hypomaina. This assesment by a professional psychologist and only repeated by me. Funny how it has this ring of truth. All the good people at Apple got chased away by madman Jobs. That is why Jobs got fired in the first place-back in 1985. I have more but this will do for the narrow field of the issues before us for now.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by merlin9x9

I hope they finally fix all of the drawing glitches.

Has anyone else noticed many occurences of beachball-of-death holding-up-the-whole-system? I havent changed any hardware or drivers, yet this happens to me on 10.4.2 at least once a week.

I wish I'd have stayed with 10.3.6. It was rock-solid. For mem Tiger has been nothing but trouble.

Yes, my wife's machine crashes.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    anim8ranim8r Posts: 13member
    Will iChat finally look as good as it did in Panther?

Is it just me and all my immediate friends or did iChat video get worse looking under Tiger?
  • Reply 17 of 69
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I personally have not experienced a single issue with Tiger, including 10.4.0. The only problem I have with it is that the damn thing insists on indexing volumes that I plug in. That is damn annoying, and needs to be turned off by default.

As far as iChat video, I have noticed a huge improvement in quality, though this is only there when video conferencing with other Tiger users (I am guessing it's because of the new h.264 codec).

For the record, I have upgraded the following computers, all within days Tiger's release:

1. Two iBook G4's

2. A PowerBook G4

3. A "Quicksilver" PowerMac G4 with dual 800MHz processors

4. An iMac G5

5. Some other computers around the office

Don't you think it's weird that I have not seen a single issue with any of these computers or any software? Actually now that I write it, I think I had to reinstall Photoshop due to an issue with opening files. But seriously, no issues.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    My only issues with Tiger:

1. Safari/QuickTime Freeze - this is a common occurrence in certain G5 models like mine where simply going to a page in Safari that uses QuickTime will freeze the machine completely. Only happens after the machines been on for awhile. EDIT: there's also a screen when utilizing View>Full Screen.

2. Sleep issues - inability to wake from sleep since Tiger's been installed. When the screen comes to life, the clock shows it froze the night before when I put the machine to sleep.

3. Speed - while Tiger is snappy on my G5 1.8, much more so than Panther, it has made things slow on my G4 at work (dual 867), esp. when switching in and out of app's like Adobe CS.

One major thing Tiger DID seem fix with my G5 was the inability to reboot or shutdown the computer. Previously it would just go to the blue screen and hang.

I also wish Apple would just clean up the interface because it's sloppy in a few places, like Finder windows not zooming properly or fonts getting cut off in Mail.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    olive_olive_ Posts: 8member
    What 10.4.3 needs to call Tiger, Tiger, at last.

FYI, i have a PB17, clean install, 1Go RAM.

- less than 4 minutes 20 seconds before being able to use my mac when starting/logging

- Spotlight as fast as when Jobs uses it during his keynote

- iPhoto to open in less than 3 minutes and working

- dashboard doesn't take more than 20 seconds to display an updated time / weather

- i'm tired of switching to firefox to fill forms or visit sites when safari won't let me.

- change desktop background every X minutes with my iPhotos pictures (it works with a regular folder, and it used to work with iPhoto)

- DVD Player linked to AirTunes so that when i watch a movie i don't have to unplug the speakers from Airport Express to plug them in my Powerbook

- alarms for the Birthday calendar in iCal/Address Book

- more options when creating Zip files (name the file, PC friendly...)

- Backup to recognize my .mac account

o
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I personally have not experienced a single issue with Tiger, including 10.4.0. The only problem I have with it is that the damn thing insists on indexing volumes that I plug in. That is damn annoying, and needs to be turned off by default.

As far as iChat video, I have noticed a huge improvement in quality, though this is only there when video conferencing with other Tiger users (I am guessing it's because of the new h.264 codec).

For the record, I have upgraded the following computers, all within days Tiger's release:

1. Two iBook G4's

2. A PowerBook G4

3. A "Quicksilver" PowerMac G4 with dual 800MHz processors

4. An iMac G5

5. Some other computers around the office

Don't you think it's weird that I have not seen a single issue with any of these computers or any software? Actually now that I write it, I think I had to reinstall Photoshop due to an issue with opening files. But seriously, no issues.

Yes, it's very weird, and almost impossible to believe.