R.I.P. - New Orleans, August 29, 2005??

Comments

• Reply 21 of 268
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Man, I'm tearing up as I write this. It's such a beautiful, strange, degenerate, glorious city. The most sweetest spring I ever spent was in NO.

If what I'm reading is anywhere near correct, they're more or less talking about New Orleans being wiped off the map.

Some of the descriptions of the possible devastation are completely apocalyptic.

80% of structures destroyed, the city under 25 feet of burning, toxics laden water, the surviviors who have managed to get on something high having to compete with fire ants and snakes.....

I don't think I can take this in. I hope and pray that it won't be this bad.
  • Reply 22 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

True, found the following online (wiki):

One thing I didn't know about it is, the roof literally holds the whole thing together, it holds the exterior walls from falling down....

that's basically the point of a dome
  • Reply 23 of 268
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Now less than 8 hours from...well, hell on earth...I find one thing more disturbing than all the rest:

The lack of a positive spin on what could happen. I have seen absolutely nothing along the lines of, "New Orleans would get lucky if Katrina..." or "it could end up being not so bad if Katrina manages to..."

Nothing but various degrees of bad.

It was also a bit disheartening when I was watching TV footage Sunday. CNN interviewed some of the people who were staying in NO because they didn't have transportation out, and I was wondering if the interviewee would be dead in 24 hours.

• Reply 24 of 268
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

that's basically the point of a dome

I thought the point of a dome was to eliminate the need for internal pillars to hold up the ceiling. Same principle as archways.
  • Reply 25 of 268
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I thought the point of a dome was to eliminate the need for internal pillars to hold up the ceiling. Same principle as archways.

that and all the walls bear the support. and a unique feature is the equillibrium makes it also support the walls
  • Reply 26 of 268
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    CNN is reporting now that the roof is starting to peel off the SD.
  • Reply 27 of 268
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just to add a little levity, there's this.

Quote:

SHEPARD SMITH: You?re live on FOX News Channel, what are you doing?

MAN IN NEW ORLEANS: Walking my dogs.

SMITH: Why are you still here? I'm just curious.

MAN: None of your fucking business.

• Reply 28 of 268
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Just to add a little levity, there's this.

• Reply 29 of 268
    Good info about the situation in the Superdome here:

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisi...list=louisiana

Good info about the overall NOLA situation here:

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/weather/
  • Reply 30 of 268
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I was just listening to a grim account by Mark Bello on CNN (Monday evening)... He was witnessing the rescue operation going down in a 20 square mile region of metropolitan New Orleans which is flooded, with many houses under water to the eaves. He mentioned the possibility of maybe 1000-2000 casualties, people who may have drowned in their homes, including many handicapped folk who might have been trapped as the water suddenly rose
  • Reply 31 of 268
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    And of all places, New Orleans. Truly sad.
  • Reply 32 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

I was just listening to a grim account by Mark Bello on CNN (Monday evening)... He was witnessing the rescue operation going down in a 20 square mile region of metropolitan New Orleans which is flooded, with many houses under water to the eaves. He mentioned the possibility of maybe 1000-2000 casualties, people who may have drowned in their homes, including many handicapped folk who might have been trapped as the water suddenly rose

I don't think casualties will be anywhere near that bad. Of course, the potential is there but I have a feeling that most got out of there and the rest found high ground. But, again, the potential is certainly there although I think we'd be hearing about a lot more deaths by now if it were true.

The situation seems to be worsening for New Orleans as well. There is going to need to be an unprecedented cleanup after the water goes away. Unbelievable
  • Reply 33 of 268
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

I don't think casualties will be anywhere near that bad. Of course, the potential is there but I have a feeling that most got out of there and the rest found high ground. But, again, the potential is certainly there although I think we'd be hearing about a lot more deaths by now if it were true.

The situation seems to be worsening for New Orleans as well. There is going to need to be an unprecedented cleanup after the water goes away. Unbelievable

Friend here that used to live there are saying that they are hearing very little news about the area. They say that worries them.
  • Reply 34 of 268
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    The phone infrastructure (both cell and land) is out for Slidell and I think Bay St. Louis. No word getting in or out. Very bad.
  • Reply 35 of 268
    After so many survived the hurricane itself, a major levee broke last night, and what was dry after the hurricane (such as the French Quarter), is now underwater and rising.

I don't think thousands of casualties is out of the range of possibility.
  • Reply 36 of 268
    Gesh, first chance I got to look at net. Worst environment imaginable. I work for a hospital and the patients are flowing in. Last night was an all nighter and lots off looting. My phone is just now working for first time. We had to go to manual procedures. Large fiber line got snapped so all out T1's were down.
  • Reply 37 of 268
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Its an environmental nightmare also. The water now flooding 80%+ of New Orleans is getting mixed with petrochemicals, refuse, toxic household and garden chemicals, bacteria, you name it... a filthy poisonous soup. How long is it going to take to get the city cleaned out and detoxified before any sort of reconstruction starts?

Also, as regards the potential death toll.... CNN just broadcasted an aerial video of the Gulfport, Biloxi area and the coastal parts of Mississippi and Alabama which got hit by the eastern eyewall, the most violent part of the hurricane... unbelievable damage to property, houses literally reduced to matchwood. If anyone was trying to ride out the storm in any of those houses, they didn't stand a chance.

• Reply 38 of 268
    I wonder what happened to SCARECROW. Biloxi was utterly destoyed.
  • Reply 39 of 268
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple should post a help the Katrina victims button for donations using oneclick. Put the button on the Apple homepage and the ITMS.

Apple did so with the tsunami relief effort and should do the same for those who need our help in the USA.

I posted this as a new thread in the General Discussion Forum.

To Donate to relief efforts.

www.redcross.org

www.salvationarmyusa.org/
  • Reply 40 of 268
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrtwistor

I wonder what happened to SCARECROW. Biloxi was utterly destoyed.

Yeah.

I hope he's OK.

*crosses fingers and waits for another scarecrow post*