R.I.P. - New Orleans, August 29, 2005??

Comments

• Reply 101 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Is this still the U.S.?

That's what I'm wondering too. Is this still the U.S.A. ?
  • Reply 102 of 268
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

The FEMA Director (Mr. Brown) you are a FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!

why arent the cruise ships located up and down the Mississippi river NOT being used to get those people from the New Orleans area to Baton Rouge when it would only take a matter of hours?

Why is it that HUNDREDS of media crews can rush to get the story on Helicopters, Vans, Planes (new orleans international airport IS in service for emergency flights, and), EVEN FLAT BOATS!! Why are these people not being rescued??!

I have so many friends who have lost everything in this and all they can ask is why is it that these people cannot be saved in a timely manner. If there are people who are hindering the efforts SHOOT THEM (period). we are in a state of marshal law and have been for several days now. I have every bit of simpathy for the people comondeering (abandoned) vehicles to get out of town and the people who are tearing down doors to provide food for others, but the animals who are shooting at hellicopters, raping, robbing retail establishments should be shot and left in the water to rot.

Please get the helpless people out of the city. There are so many good people here in this city. Is this still the U.S.?

amen on all accounts, and i am glad to hear you are still with us, playmaker. PM me when you get the chance and let me know where you are. we all gotta stick together throught his, in any way we can.
  • Reply 103 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

That was a great rant.

The thing you are obviously missing is money means nothing in this kind of situation - nada.

You can ride in on a moneytruck and it won't feed anyone unless they can digest paper and ink and it wont quench anyones thirst.

You need people and equipment there on the ground. You can't get them there effectively until the water is gone. You can't make the waters go away until they fix the breaches in the levees. They have to rescue people that are stranded. Thay can't do that if they are at risk of being killed while doing it. They need to get more people on the ground but we also need those people to help rescue other people. It is a catch 22 all around, there's no way around it. One thing depends on the next.

I don't know how to break it to you. Money is not the issue here.

did you actually READ my post or did you skim through it like a children's picture book because thats the level of comprehension you have? i'll quote my fucking self for you Naples:

"its all well that there are federal grants being porposed yada yada but what needs to be done is GETTING EVERYONE THE HELL OUT OF THERE. that CAN be done and IS NOT BEING DONE"

that means that money aint gonna get these people to safety, RESOURCES THAT ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY ARE

cant get them there effectively ??? then how the hell are there news crews, tanks, and cops passin by people stranded on the street yet they cant do anything to help them? what about the 82 buses parked right outside NO not going anywhere? or how bout the 10s of thousands of people who were told to go to that convention center and oh we'll bring you food and you'll get transportation out and they have been there with nothing for days. oh thats right, its all too dangerous. BS. the reporter on MSNBC was sayin just how organized, calm, harmonious these people all were and that it wasnt dangerous at all. there are a few idiots out there, yep. but the people on the streets and at that convention center screaming for help arent. this is a life and death situation, and not everything is being that could be. news casters and news reporters are sayin the exact same thing as ME on TV. you get mad at me for pointing out the government's failures in this time of dire need yet you dont get mad at CNN for reporting the news. i dont even know what else to say.....its just.....ridiculous beyond belief. people are stranded there on their death bed and its "too dangerous" to go in. fuck that.....

i'm done arguing with anyone who cant read, look, watch and comprehend whats going on. its not some big secret.

Quote:

can you please stop posting. you are about 2 days behind in news and your "revelations"

you are black. you are only this upset because it is happening to black people and you wont admit that black people are going nuts. it's the white man's fault.

you are being racist, as you always are.

how's that girlfriend doing btw?

let me guess, this is applenut

black people are going nuts. right. well mr big bad applenut from the mean streets of "da bronx". since you're so tough and think only black people are going "nuts" as you so eloquently put it, you should go to one of the parishes down there thats under water and just wait out the storm, i'm sure you'll be fine and its only the black folk that are going nuts. anyone would be going nuts when its desperation and they have nothing. they dont have food, water, shelter, bathrooms......all they have is the clothes on their back. its life or death there right now, but you can sit on the sidelines and make jokes about something that you arent experiencing first hand. new orleans is 70% black and 30% of its citizens live in poverty, and the poor are dirt poor there. that might be why black people are going "nuts". there was a whole group of white people being interviewed on a rooftop going "nuts". damn those white folk actin up again. you're an idiot. you're an idiot to even insinuate anything about me being black as the reason im upset about this when my original post said nothing of ethnicity.

get the fuck outta here. you're a little punk ass who thinks hes tough behind a computer screen but you'd be a coward face to face. werent you already banned? why are you still posting here if you're too good for us and dont care about this message board? or do you stalk me or somethin because you're infatuated with me? take your private gated community ass and that brilliant education im sure you received and ask them for a refund of that tuition. because obviously it didnt teach bigots & racists like yourself anything besides whats in a text book. you still cant reply with an intelligent or mature comment to a black inner-city raised kid who went to some crappy public schools. your comments here have spoken for themself for years, and have the nerve to call ME a racist you truly are a class act applenut.

oh and i dont have a girlfriend. you should keep better tabs on my personal life next time homey.
  • Reply 104 of 268
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    He !

This thread is named RIP New orleans and it's not in political outsider.

The responsabilities behind this drama are an important subject, but I will not allow this thread to degenerate.

If you are interest by this subject, please open a new thread in PO. Any more heavy oriented political post would be deleted here.

PS : and it's not because there would be a new subject in political outsider, that we tolerate personal attacks.
  • Reply 105 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Don't give me that shit - it's been nearly 5 fucking days. If this was New York or L.A. you could be sure the response would have been much more swift.

They have been running computer simulations for years, and everyone knew the devastating affect of a level 4 or 5 hurricane on the region.

Where is Sandra Bullock and her one million dollar donation that she gave the tsunami victims?
  • Reply 106 of 268
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Why is Blanco "warning" the thugs on TV? I mean, seriously. Isn't that like sending them vinyl albums of her speeches at this point?
  • Reply 107 of 268
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

Where is Sandra Bullock and her one million dollar donation that she gave the tsunami victims?

this is going on and you are posting about sandra bullock?
  • Reply 108 of 268
    Tiger, you're a good man.

Jack Cafferty of CNN also made a big rant yesterday about the incomptence of the Bush administration. He also pointed out the "big elephant" in the room (race).

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The...%20Katrina.mov
  • Reply 109 of 268
    Thanks to anders, here's a copy of that msnbc video from the convention center mentioned at the top of the page

• Reply 110 of 268
    Unbelievable - Matthew Cooper is still making excuses for Bush:

http://www.time.com/time/

I hope most Americans have finally seen the true nature of the administration. It goes far beyond mere incompetence - they simply don't care about other people.
  • Reply 111 of 268
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Corporations and $$$ is the Focus not regular folks, or even Americans. Screwing America for their Parties interest has become habit for Washington. We just dont have a Govt who' interest in the people of this country.
  • Reply 112 of 268
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You might want to check out what the president said this morning:

"The results are not acceptable," referring to the speed and amount of help that's in the region. He knows we can do better. At least he is willing to admit it. When the top dog publicly says things need to change, things will change.
  • Reply 113 of 268
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

You might want to check out what the president said this morning:

"The results are not acceptable," referring to the speed and amount of help that's in the region. He knows we can do better. At least he is willing to admit it. When the top dog publicly says things need to change, things will change.

Republicans have run our total Govt for 5 years, the buck stops somewhere and i blame the Republicans for all the crap they have gotton us into from a war,ignoring our own borders to taking away our liberties(patriot act) to not preparing for a hurricane. Its all about $$$. SAD.
  • Reply 114 of 268
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Republicans have run our total Govt for 5 years, the buck stops somewhere and i blame the Republicans for all the crap they have gotton us into from a war,ignoring our own borders to taking away our liberties(patriot act) to not preparing for a hurricane. Its all about $$$. SAD.

This kind of operation starts from the local level on up. It appears to me that the NOLA admin jumped ship on their city. Cops are just as bad off as the citizenry there. As far as i can tell there is no command and control on the local level. The NGuard is working while waiting for critical infrastructure to be established, especially communications. That's why they need that aircraft carrier there.

They've got a lot of air traffic and no control. It has to be hectic and dangerous.
  • Reply 115 of 268
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Two APVs and two black hawks in front, 82 busses in the middle and two APVs and two black hawks behind. Get everyone onboard and out. That should give enough security.

To rebuild a city is hard work. To move 2-30000 people 15 miles shouldn´t be.
  • Reply 116 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Two APVs and two black hawks in front, 82 busses in the middle and two APVs and two black hawks behind. Get everyone onboard and out. That should give enough security.

To rebuild a city is hard work. To move 2-30000 people 15 miles shouldn´t be.

See, I'm hearing close to 100,000 or more. I heard some estimates that say 200,000.

Sure there are crowds waiting, but it will be that way for a while. They are gathering on every bridge in hope of rescue. And, as soon as those people are being taken away more replace them. Some people are just coming out from their houses and attics and venturing to higher ground.

There's no easy way to tackle this, and no quick fix, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 117 of 268
    this is what they're dealing with folks. Look at all the bridges and roof tops. There's no communication or power. People stuck there are just guessing what to do.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/k...31_2005_dg.jpg
  • Reply 118 of 268
    Quote:

Three days ago, police and national guard troops told citizens to head toward the Crescent City Connection Bridge to await transportation out of the area. The citizens trekked over to the Convention Center and waited for the buses which they were told would take them to Houston or Alabama or somewhere else, out of this area.

It's been 3 days, and the buses have yet to appear.

Although obviously he has no exact count, he estimates more than 10,000 people are packed into and around and outside the convention center still waiting for the buses. They had no food, no water, and no medicine for the last three days, until today, when the National Guard drove over the bridge above them, and tossed out supplies over the side crashing down to the ground below. Much of the supplies were destroyed from the drop. Many people tried to catch the supplies to protect them before they hit the ground. Some offered to walk all the way around up the bridge and bring the supplies down, but any attempt to approach the police or national guard resulted in weapons being aimed at them.

There are many infants and elderly people among them, as well as many people who were injured jumping out of windows to escape flood water and the like -- all of them in dire straights.

Any attempt to flag down police results in being told to get away at gunpoint. Hour after hour they watch buses pass by filled with people from other areas. Tensions are very high, and there has been at least one murder and several fights. 8 or 9 dead people have been stored in a freezer in the area, and 2 of these dead people are kids.

The people are so desperate that they're doing anything they can think of to impress the authorities enough to bring some buses. These things include standing in single file lines with the eldery in front, women and children next; sweeping up the area and cleaning the windows and anything else that would show the people are not barbarians.

The buses never stop.

Before the supplies were pitched off the bridge today, people had to break into buildings in the area to try to find food and water for their families. There was not enough. This spurred many families to break into cars to try to escape the city. There was no police response to the auto thefts until the mob reached the rich area -- Saulet Condos -- once they tried to get cars from there... well then the whole swat teams began showing up with rifles pointed. Snipers got on the roof and told people to get back.

He reports that the conditions are horrendous. Heat, mosquitoes and utter misery. The smell, he says, is "horrific."

He says it's the slowest mandatory evacuation ever, and he wants to know why they were told to go to the Convention Center area in the first place; furthermore, he reports that many of them with cell phones have contacts willing to come rescue them, but people are not being allowed through to pick them up.

link
  • Reply 119 of 268
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

See, I'm hearing close to 100,000 or more. I heard some estimates that say 200,000.

Sure, but this is hardly an excuse that rescue operations are going very very slow. Especially that FEMA has learned about the 20K people at the convention center three days late is a very bad sign. This is something that could have been avoided. IMHO.
  • Reply 120 of 268
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Sure, but this is hardly an excuse that rescue operations are going very very slow. Especially that FEMA has learned about the 20K people at the convention center three days late is a very bad sign. This is something that could have been avoided. IMHO.

I think that was a misstatement. I haven't read the account but I am sure they were talking about the additional people.